• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to my world.

Lvl 40 Wretch with 20 STR and INT (but rather small health and magic bars.) Start playing with Enchant Weapon for the free damage bonus and build up your INT for the spells you want. Great Glintstone Shard (might have the name wrong) can melt some tankier enemies (namely the miners) and Meteorite Staff + Rock Sling allows you to stagger the biggest enemies and bosses.

If you want to be a fire slanger, you're better off levelling Faith.

What weapons are you using? I'm working on being able to equip the Golden Halberd because it looks sweet and I like long pokey weapons.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Is there any point to upgrading shields if you're not using them offensively? It doesn't seem like their defensive stats increase when you upgrade them...

Sep 21, 2019
Elden Ring is such a fantastic game.
But I'll say this:
Most of the main bosses can fuck right off. I absolutely despise them. There is zero feeling of "I did it!" - no its "I NEVER want to subject myself to that again."
This is coming from someone who loved DS1.
There the bosses felt fair.

Now its holding on for your dear life, repeat the boss 20 times untill you know the moveset and get lucky.

Git gud? Why on earth do I want to master something that feels thoroughly unfun?
Absolute bullshit.

Weren't the best boss fights always this way???

Jan 4, 2018
36axmhylsbk81.png

This is 100% fact.
messagetrolls.png

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a way or any special Ashes that would let me change the type of a weapon while keeping its default skill? Like if I want a Magic Uchigatana that still has the unsheathe skill?

Oct 25, 2017
Commander Niall
is one of the worst bosses I've seen in a Souls game. Just absolutely terrible. The fact that it has a OHKO move after you get rid of the minions is a joke

I honestly have been pretty disappointed with this game's bosses. A lot of them are copy pasted or just straight up not good or not fun to play against at all. This is the first time I've felt this way playing a From game since DS2, which is the best comparison I can give to how I feel about the bosses honestly. Just a lot of throwaways. I love the world and the core of a lot of the areas, but some of this stuff feels super filler. I don't really get people saying everything feels unique when the catacombs and tunnels are extremely samey too. And so many bosses get reused, some of them in fairly major side content. It just feels messy to me

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
What weapons are you using? I'm working on being able to equip the Golden Halberd because it looks sweet and I like long pokey weapons.

I used a Halberd for much of my PS3 Demons Souls run, and I bet it's fantastic for horse jousting.

I'm using a Battle Axe, and this may carry me through most of the game. But I also want to upgrade my Morningstar +6 further, that blood loss explosion when you wail on enemies is very satisfying.

Casting a holy damage incantation to my battle axe and mowing through skeleton mobs feels amazing, and makes for a great "holy knight" role-playing build.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Man, why are all the cool build defining talismans (rings) always so shit? I tried the one that increases your damage at light weight and it's like 3%.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I love that every horse I find has a message that says "dog." It's so stupid and so funny.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Commander Niall
is one of the worst bosses I've seen in a Souls game. Just absolutely terrible. The fact that it has a OHKO move after you get rid of the minions is a joke

I honestly have been pretty disappointed with this game's bosses. A lot of them are copy pasted or just straight up not good or not fun to play against at all. This is the first time I've felt this way playing a From game since DS2, which is the best comparison I can give to how I feel about the bosses honestly. Just a lot of throwaways. I love the world and the core of a lot of the areas, but some of this stuff feels super filler. I don't really get people saying everything feels unique when the catacombs and tunnels are extremely samey too. And so many bosses get reused, some of them in fairly major side content. It just feels messy to me
I beat him my first try but i was also level 120 or so post game with a +10 Mimic and almost died. Doesnt seem fun solo or with lesser gear. I just wanted the reward asap so i cheesed. I would also agree with you. There are some stand out bosses but a lot of disappointing ones too

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I got my hands on the Meteorite Staff and Rock Sling spell. Now I just need to get my hands on that INT based Katana and I start dumping points into my INT and MIND and VIGOR.

Feeling really confident with my build so far. I think I like a Mage class over my Paladin build from before.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Depends on what you consider "worth it." I had to do a lot of scrounging. Put half my point for the first 35 levels into arcane so I could raise my discovery stat. But I've had a good time, at least after I found some equipment.

I'm started wretch, and definitely don't regret it. It added an incentive to explore - my first priority after getting Torrent was to find some gear. No shortage of gear to be found out there, whether in dungeons or from merchants. Felt like I had an extra prologue.

I have a cool hood that has this like trailing cloak behind it, some cloth pants, and common shoes. The hood really pulls off the wretchiness though, before I got the talisman for equip load it and some greaves were all I was wearing.

I just can't bear anything but light equipment load in these games, but I also love huge fucking swords so what can I do.

So you have to put a lot into Arcane to get decent gear drops?

How are you all specced currently and what direction are you taking your characters? Besides the added challenge of starting off as a Wretch was it worth it for your current builds or do you feel gimped?

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Hey souls people. I'm looking for advice.

I just beat Godrick and now I'm really struggling against even normal enemies. I kinda hate my build. I don't deal any damage and I can't take many hits.

I was going for a paladin with the Confessor. But I feel maybe I spread runes too thin.

My stats at Level 42:

Vigor 21
Mind 16
Endurance 14
Strength 21
Dexterity 12
Intelligence 9
Faith 18
Arcane 10

Using Heavy Bastard Sword+2. Feel like I just need to re-spec at this point. Dexterity seems way more viable than Strength at the moment.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I got my hands on the Meteorite Staff and Rock Sling spell. Now I just need to get my hands on that INT based Katana and I start dumping points into my INT and MIND and VIGOR.

Feeling really confident with my build so far. I think I like a Mage class over my Paladin build from before.

You're gonna love all of that. This is what I'm rocking and having a blast. Margit, Godrick and several others have all dropped before the might of my Rock Slings hah.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I used a Halberd for much of my PS3 Demons Souls run, and I bet it's fantastic for horse jousting.

I'm using a Battle Axe, and this may carry me through most of the game. But I also want to upgrade my Morningstar +6 further, that blood loss explosion when you wail on enemies is very satisfying.

Casting a holy damage incantation to my battle axe and mowing through skeleton mobs feels amazing, and makes for a great "holy knight" role-playing build.

Good to know my dream build is feasible!

I'll keep grinding out runes to get some INT and get some spells. I've been clearing shit with just my sword...I think it's time I gear up a bit.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

How are you all specced currently and what direction are you taking your characters? Besides the added challenge of starting off as a Wretch was it worth it for your current builds or do you feel gimped?
I don't really know what I'm doing in terms of build. "Necessity" has dictated my decisions so far, just chasing requirements for the items I find. Dumping into dex / str / int as necessary for whatever cool melee weapons I find. A point in arcane every other level to get that discovery up.

My vigor and endurance are both still at 10, which means I need to be really good at fat rolling to make any progress

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This is the path I've taken with Astrologer and its got me through a lot of the game pretty well save for some bosses. That katana (Meteoric Ore Blade) is a beast, love using it plus its gravity spell based special attack.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Commander Niall

I'm at best a 1/3 through
Man, fuck Radahn

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but everytime I died to this move (which is always a OHKO), I'm either running far from him or taking my eyes off him, I guess one of these triggers it?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the added challenge of starting off as a Wretch was it worth it for your current builds or do you feel gimped?

You have *more* freedom to plan your build, not less. Having 10 stat in every attribute lets you play with a wide range of stuff, and beginning at level 1 means you can level up faster in the very early stages. You won't really know how you want to build out your character until you're in the sandbox experimenting with different gear and/or spells.

But no joke, it makes the earliest hours much harder. You'll have to seek out specific equipment like a magic staff if you want one, for example.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

I just beat Godrick and now I'm really struggling against even normal enemies. I kinda hate my build. I don't deal any damage and I can't take many hits.

I was going for a paladin with the Confessor. But I feel maybe I spread runes too thin.

My stats at Level 42:

Vigor 21
Mind 16
Endurance 14
Strength 21
Dexterity 12
Intelligence 9
Faith 18
Arcane 10

Using Heavy Bastard Sword+2. Feel like I just need to re-spec at this point. Dexterity seems way more viable than Strength at the moment.
That +2 sword is probably a bigger issue than your stats. It should probably be much higher than it is by the time you've beaten that boss. And certainly by level 40+.

Oct 27, 2017
Hoarfrost Stomp might be the most OP Ash of War skill in the game. Equip it on Caestus and stunlock + freeze build-up on most enemies and bosses for a ton of damage.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I'm around level 35. Any recs on faith build weapons? I have the item that can convert weapons to faith, so I have some dex weapons I made to scale faith, but wasn't sure if there was a better.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I think they fucked up when programming item discoverability or some shit. Silver-Pickled Fowl Foot feels like it decreases drop chances instead of increasing them. I've also noticed that over time as I'm farming a particular enemy for his weapon and armor, the drop chances seem to plummet, which I can resolve by quitting to the title screen and starting again.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada

My stats at Level 42:

Vigor 21
Mind 16
Endurance 14
Strength 21
Dexterity 12
Intelligence 9
Faith 18
Arcane 10

Weapon upgrades will ALWAYS be bigger difference makers than levelling up. I had my weapon at +4 or +5 by that point, and it's even higher still now. Weapon upgrades are key.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone point me in the general direction of the boss that allows me to buy smithing stoned 1 please.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Weapon upgrades will ALWAYS be bigger difference makers than levelling up. I had my weapon at +4 or +5 by that point, and it's even higher still now. Weapon upgrades are key.
I get worried about burning smithing mats on weapons I may not stick with. Choice paralysis. Bastard Sword seems pretty...Bland? Compared to some of the sweet dex weapons I found

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I get worried about burning smithing mats on weapons I may not stick with. Choice paralysis. Bastard Sword seems pretty...Bland? Compared to some of the sweet dex weapons I found
An item exists to allow you to be able to buy as many level 1 and 2 stones as you want, which I think takes you to +5? If you want more damage you need to upgrade your weapon. Simple.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I think the issue with there barely being any summons in Redmane Castle for the dual boss battle is there's an event that can happen which totally replaces the boss battle, so there's probably a bunch of players who just don't have access to the boss battle at all and aren't putting down summoning signs. I think I'm just gonna give up on it because I just do not have the skill to kill a boss as shitty and unbalanced as Crucible Knight is.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
new PC steam patch just landed and now i can't even launch the game, it just blackscreens on menu and all I can see is my mouse cursor in the elden ring style... fuck off. I've been working for like 9 hours straight and I just want to get back to the lands between...

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
new PC steam patch just landed and now i can't even launch the game, it just blackscreens on menu and all I can see is my mouse cursor in the elden ring style... fuck off. I've been working for like 9 hours straight and I just want to get back to the lands between...
Hmmm, I'll download soon and report.

The Golden Halberd is amazing. I have to two hand it now, but it's a baller weapon.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Anyone happen to have a Banished Knight Greatsword? My brother has been farming these guys for literally hours, and I'm going to try and save his sanity haha.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Not sure yet, I run melee only (+a short bow) so I typically go for a quality build or dex. I'm still early in the game (despite like 37 hours played...) but so far I've just pushed str+dex to 18+17 to equip the bloodhound fang, then got my vigor and endurance to 20 because I need the health because I have no armor, and I need the stamina to swing my big sword a bunch. Since then I've been pumping the last few points into strength so I think it's at like 21 right now. I'll lean towards whichever of the two the coolest weapon I have available to me right now (currently it's the iron throne sword so I'm trying to get that strength going).

I didn't really feel restricted by being a wretch because it's basically closest to what I would want to run anyway. That said I HAVE tons of equipment, I just don't find it worth the trade-off to use any of it. I've felt like armor has dropped decently enough without me grinding for anything yet so that by late game when I can actually equip some I'll have a good start on a set. My only firm role on speccing characters is I've virtually never touched magic in any of the games lol

Hotbug

Dec 3, 2020
In my attempts to find more spells, I've taken to assuming any large blank spot on my map means I haven't looked hard enough for a door or a cave or a toilet that has a boss inside. This has led me on this incredible journey of the Weeping Peninsula today...including a "Greater Enemy Felled" notice for a boss that didn't seem all that hard.

BUT the true revelation came when by chance I (Weeping Peninsula/Stormveil Castle spoilers) acquired a Warhawk summon from a ghost in a chair. Now don't get me wrong, all the summons I've collected thus far seem worthy. The one I had been solely using was my Wandering Nobles, aka my Lads. You might be thinking hey, those guys aren't very optimal, but I happen to find them very charming, especially when they go WHOA!! every time something aggros. But a Hawk? I met them in Stormveil, and their resume is QUITE impressive.

(Limgrave spoilers) My journey continued when I somehow wound my way back into the tutorial area, and I now happened to have the Stonesword Keys needed to unlock the area there. And uh yes that's an area for sure. That was lots of fun. I REALLY RECOMMEND IT. Anyway, the area brought me to a boss, the lovely Ulcerated Tree Root. And you know, my Lads were really not coming through for me on that fella. So I thought to myself, hey, my Lads are +5, but I did also upgrade the Hawk to +5. So let's try the Hawk!

The Hawk KILLED the Ulcerated Tree Root while I was lying on my ass after I got hit by some undulation or other of its sinuous body. I got 15k runes. I think that's the most runes I've ever had in the game. Friendship ended with my Lads, now Hawk is my new best friend. Though the Root gave me ashes of a whole ass knight, so stay tuned...

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Liurnia spoilers

*kills Renni* "Yeah, that was easy. Unless there's a second ph-- ah yeah, there it is." *gets destroyed by magic arrows*

Also (minor NPC spoilers) Albus has the same voice actor as Siegmeyer, right?

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Yo where all the dex weapons at? Best things I've found are a cool dagger and a bigger Estoc, everytime I open a chest its either a big sword or a huge axe, Fromsoft please.

Status
Not open for further replies.