• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 17, 2018
I think this game will disappoint based on what we've already seen, but this thread is insane.

Like, it's 28 seconds of a version that barely anyone will play of an unreleased game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I have to wonder what would have to change for it to not seem so similar to Dark Souls for you?

Thats kind of a difficult question to answer because I'd also have to start singling out the many converging and pervasive mechanics and design choices that make Souls games what they are.

Sekiro is a drastically different game.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
Not sure what I'm supposed to take away from this clip. It sure looks like Elden Ring. I'm still going to be excited for it.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Completely off topic, but I would love for from to try their hand at 3rd person survival horror. CoughSilentHillCough

I think they're one of the few devs who could get the atmosphere and story absolutely right with thay sort of game while actually making it engaging to play.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Thats kind of a difficult question to answer because I'd also have to start singling out the many converging and pervasive mechanics and design choices that make Souls games what they are.

Sekiro is a drastically different game.
Well there are tons of people, even in this thread, who feel Sekiro is not thay different from Souls. What would you tell them made it stand out from Dark Souls? A jump button, stealth, the grappling hook, aesthetics?

For the record I agree with you thay Sekiro is drastically different from Souls.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Well there are tons of people, even in this thread, who feel Sekiro is not thay different from Souls. What would you tell them made it stand out from Dark Souls? A jump button, stealth, the grappling hook, aesthetics?

For the record I agree with you thay Sekiro is drastically different from Souls.

I've already kind of elaborated on that in the thread. It still has half of its foot in Souls but does enough to carve out its own identity, which was very refreshing after DS3.

www.resetera.com

Elden Ring leaked gameplay footage (small clip)

Disagree with Sekiro. It’s less about grinding and leveling up and more about figuring out the rhythm the game wants you to play by. It’s much more of a character action game with heavy rhythm elements and is a very tight and focused game in a way that none of the souls games are as a result...

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I've already kind of elaborated on that in the thread. It still has half of its foot in Souls but does enough to carve out its own identity, which was very refreshing after DS3.

www.resetera.com

Elden Ring leaked gameplay footage (small clip)

Disagree with Sekiro. It’s less about grinding and leveling up and more about figuring out the rhythm the game wants you to play by. It’s much more of a character action game with heavy rhythm elements and is a very tight and focused game in a way that none of the souls games are as a result...
Ah I get it. So you wanted a massive departure from Souls like Sekiro was in terms of combat mechanics.

Have you not kept up with news? We've known for a long time this game would be more in line with From's ARPG catalog with regards to combat.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People really think the next Gen versions are going to be that cutting edge? I doubt it. I don't really care as FROM is great.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
30b37fab2dc0f89d1f60435da8d3f439.png

ok

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ah I get it. So you wanted a massive departure from Souls like Sekiro was in terms of combat mechanics.

Have you not kept up with news? We've known for a long time this game would be more in line with From's ARPG catalog with regards to combat.

Oh no, I'm well aware. Honestly I'd like to see From depart from this entirely.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
People really think the next Gen versions are going to be that cutting edge? I doubt it. I don't really care as FROM is great.

Doesn't have to be cutting edge. 4k 60 fps of whatever dark souls 3 was with better character models and we gucci.

The screenshots they released look great.

Apr 3, 2020
Dark Souls 3 being a greatest hits compilation of previous Souls games that didn't really have its own identity kind of shows that they were scraping the bottom of that formula.

Then flipping that into them most iterative template imaginable only seems to reinforce that.

I could absolutely be wrong but nothing I've seen or read about the game inspires confidence to the contrary
It's the third game of a "series", What did you expect? a complete turn in direction?

that doesn't work, and it's proven in other series where they started to change direction and formula between games.

Also, FROM did said that reason they ended the series with DS3 is because they no longer can push the series further (assuming without alienating the series) and it is something appreciated.

so this when Elden Ring came in, to do things weren't able to do in Dark Souls series.

as for the world template, they did said they doing their thing since the reveal of the game, and Japanese devs always have their own approach in open world games (botw, SotC, MGSV), pretty sure FROM is no different.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, I'm well aware. Honestly I'd like to see From depart from this entirely.
Oh okay so you knew, just wanted to complain a bit, I got ya lol.

Hopefully from does venture into different genres like I mentioned a above. I think they definitely have the talent(mechanically and design wise. Graphically may hold them back which could be a reason they don't do it.) Would definitely make people happy who want something completely new.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a FromSoftware game, I'm in
Yup, same. I've played enough From games to know they're outstanding even if they don't have the most advanced visuals. I'd much rather play an amazing game that's not the most visually cutting-edge than play a game that's gorgeous but bland as hell to play.

That said, anyone who says this looks bad is blind. It looks fine.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
The game could look like that on next gen and it would still be better than nearly every single release of 2022.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Oh okay so you knew, just wanted to complain a bit, I got ya lol.

Hopefully from does venture into different genres like I mentioned a above. I think they definitely have the talent(mechanically and design wise. Graphically may hold them back which could be a reason they don't do it.) Would definitely make people happy who want something completely new.

Look if there's one thing imma do it's complain 😂

I'm actually not really concerned about the visuals and I think it's silly people are losing their minds over xbox one gameplay.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, if somebody showed me a 15 second clip of Crysis in 2005 with some arbitrary real gameplay i'd be like whatever

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Look if there's one thing imma do it's complain 😂

I'm actually not really concerned about the visuals and I think it's silly people are losing their minds over xbox one gameplay.
I got you. Tbh I think its best to wait and see. I dont think From would have ended Dark Souls if they wanted to just turn around and do the same thing in a bigger world. There's for sure gonna be alot of new stuff to surprise us, no doubt. I trust Omnipotent on that.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I got you. Tbh I think its best to wait and see. I dont think From would have ended Dark Souls if they wanted to just turn around and do the same thing in a bigger world. There's for sure gonna be alot of new stuff to surprise us, no doubt. I trust Omnipotent on that.

I mean I'm still gonna get it most likely. I'm just really reserved on it.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
The way the world is put together reminds me of genshin impact, the vibe is very breath of the wild, and the gameplay is dark souls?

gimme that impact of the souls asap

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The first glimpse of Irithyll is the single best looking bit of the entirety of last gen.

Basically, I'm sure this is going to be a very pretty game when it counts. There are already a ton of inspired images in the trailers.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
What's so shocking about that? Hyped up games disappoint all the time.
when was the last time From has missed? i think a lot of people would eat a hat if elden ring somehow came out to be a "disappointment" people that been playing these games all these years know what there getting into

sure if you want to talk about visuals and next gen but that ant what from is known for what they lack in graphics they make up for in visual design

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused at all the people surprised about the jump. Did they not already show that earlier this year?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping
Crafting
Stealth
Improved archery
Horse riding
Horse combat (apparently preferred against bigger enemies)
Open world full of hidden dungeons and npcs that give context on the story
more ending than other souls games some of which are probably influenced by those npcs
Dynamic Weather
Day/Night cycle which changes enemy positions and behavior
Wildlife you can hunt for mats
Skill system that isn't tied to weapons anymore
Largest variety of weapons and armor and probably magic
Roaming enemies as well, colossal monsters in the open world
Massive underground area that interconnects pretty much the whole map

Sounds like enough new stuff to me no?