• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Early 2020

- Elden Ring
- TLOU 2
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Bloodlines 2
- God knows what else

Damn

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This Sekiro slander is ridiculous; I had issues with it as well but would still consider it being one of the more enjoyable straight-forward FROM games

And yeah, fucking hyped as shit for this one - feels like the big next step for FROM action RPGs

Oct 25, 2017
Early 2020

- Elden Ring
- TLOU 2
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Bloodlines 2
- God knows what else

Damn
I haven't played anything but Sekiro from Sekiro's release until last week, when I got back to DMC5 to play it on DMD, so I won't even bother buying those games for a few months, I'm sure I'll get a better deal if I wait until I'm tired of Elden Ring.

And with multiplayer, this could take even longer.

This Sekiro slander is ridiculous; I had issues with it as well but would still consider it being one of the more enjoyable straight-forward FROM games

And yeah, fucking hyped as shit for this one - feels like the big next step for FROM action RPGs
I think the majority of players are pleased with Sekiro, it's just that a lot of the things that bother people about it don't really invite much discussion.

Like, for example, people dislike that there aren't builds or customization, and... yeah, there isn't any of that. Not much to discuss about it.

It's definitely one of my favorite From games, which automatically makes it one of my favorite games of all time. Like, it's seriously making me think a little before saying Bloodborne is my favorite From game, and it took the DLC to make Bloodborne my favorite in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds logical, yeah.

As long as a sequel to BB had player customization and co-op, what would be the problem? It might not be as good or as unique as the first game was, but that's fine, sequels rarely surpass their progenitors. If they completely changed the structure of the game or gutted out the RPG elements, that would be a problem, and that would defeat the point of even making a sequel.

I never cared much for customization or the online element of these games.

What makes BB amazing for me is the uniqueness of the setting and the lore/twist on top of the awesome combat system set to amazing music.

I don't want a sequel to provide me with more of the same. I want a sequel that acknowledges BB but does it's own thing to surpass it entirely.

And everyone would be expecting a twist which I don't think could be replicated. That alone weakens the appeal of a sequel for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never cared much for customization or the online element of these games.

What makes BB amazing for me is the uniqueness of the setting and the lore/twist on top of the awesome combat system set to amazing music.

I don't want a sequel to provide me with more of the same. I want a sequel that acknowledges BB but does it's own thing to surpass it entirely.

I can understand that. But let me put it this way: Bloodborne would be a lesser game if you were forced to only use the Threaded Cane or the Saw Cleaver for the entire experience. Being able to define the way you play and build a playstyle that works for you is part of the reason the combat system is as good as it is.

My primary weapon pair was the Holy Blade and the Tonitrus. I stuck a fire gem on that stupid lightning stick and it was UNBELIEVABLY effective for pretty much the entire game. Even kept using it after I retired the Holy Blade in favor of the Moonlight Greatsword.

LunarDuck

Dec 30, 2017
UK
Hope the gameplay or nothing else leaks, either way I am so hyped to see the full reveal tomorrow.

The poster gives off a tiny Silent Hill vibe for me.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Early 2020

- Elden Ring
- TLOU 2
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Bloodlines 2
- God knows what else

Damn

giphy.gif

Although tbh I have a bigger problem than money.

Why-Small-Business-Owners-Never-Have-Enough-Time.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
BB is one of my favorite games of all time. I expected Sekiro to be GoTG tier game but it didn't end up being the case. It has been said by others but I also feel that when I beat a boss in Sekiro it was more a feeling of, "I'm glad that is over with...." rather than the thrill and exhilaration that happened in BB. It isn't even close in that regard. I also think stuff like design (level, weapon, enemies, combat, etc...) was a pretty big step down from BB. The combat would be the obvious highlight of the game and even that got bogged down a bit because of design choices with encounters.

All that being said, I can still recognize Sekiro as a quality game. I just hope Elden Ring achieves more overall quality relative to Sekiro.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that. But let me put it this way: Bloodborne would be a lesser game if you were forced to only use the Threaded Cane or the Saw Cleaver for the entire experience. Being able to define the way you play and build a playstyle that works for you is part of the reason the combat system is as good as it is.

My primary weapon pair was the Holy Blade and the Tonitrus. I stuck a fire gem on that stupid lightning stick and it was UNBELIEVABLY effective for pretty much the entire game. Even kept using it after I retired the Holy Blade in favor of the Moonlight Greatsword.

I think Sekiro disproves this and after playing with most of the weapons in BB, I still just rock the Saw Cleaver.

Hollow Knight has one damn weapon and is in no way shape or form a lesser game for not having more. It's all about how your game is designed.

If Bloodborne was truly designed for me to use more than one weapon, I wouldn't be able to beat it with just the saw cleaver. The extra weapons are nice but don't really add anything to the game from a depth standpoint imo.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sekiro disproves this and after playing with most of the weapons in BB, I still just rock the Saw Cleaver.

Hollow Knight has one damn weapon and is in no way shape or form a lesser game for not having more. It's all about how your game is designed.

If Bloodborne was truly designed for me to use more than one weapon, I wouldn't be able to beat it with just the saw cleaver. The extra weapons are nice but don't really add anything to the game from a depth standpoint imo.

You're not really listening to what I'm saying, though. The flexibility adds to the game by allowing more people to have fun with it and to experiment and develop their own styles.

Yes, you can beat the game with one weapon. You can do that in any Souls game. That doesn't mean the other weapons shouldn't exist.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to catch up on everything known about the leak. Is there a bulleted summary of everything known at the moment for the game?

Oct 25, 2017
I do think the Saw Cleaver specifically is a bit broken, though.

Having the Zweihander early on in DS1 doesn't invalidate other builds because there are plenty of weapons you can get early that are just as good, if not better for certain builds, but Bloodborne's build variety isn't large enough to make any weapon as good as the Saw Cleaver, maybe except for the pizza cutter. So you have the best weapon in the game by far as a starting weapon, or you can kill a bunch of good bosses with a different weapon before you get a weaker one for a specific run.

To get the Chikage I need to kill bosses I wish I could fight using the Chikage. It was such a mistake removing that coffing jump skip, in my opinion. It really opened the game up in regards to build variety.

Every time I play Bloodborne without the Cleaver I feel like I'm intentionally gimping myself. Which could also be true in Dark Souls 1 with the Black Knight weapons, except that the fact they're rare drops makes you excited to use them when you get them, instead of having to force yourself not to use them to try a different build.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BB is one of my favorite games of all time. I expected Sekiro to be GoTG tier game but it didn't end up being the case. It has been said by others but I also feel that when I beat a boss in Sekiro it was more a feeling of, "I'm glad that is over with...." rather than the thrill and exhilaration that happened in BB. It isn't even close in that regard. I also think stuff like design (level, weapon, enemies, combat, etc...) was a pretty big step down from BB. The combat would be the obvious highlight of the game and even that got bogged down a bit because of design choices with encounters.

All that being said, I can still recognize Sekiro as a quality game. I just hope Elden Ring achieves more overall quality relative to Sekiro.
This is basically where I'm at, even after getting the platinum. It's a great game overall, but Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne are much better experiences.

Hopefully we have proper RPG mechanics this time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I play Bloodborne without the Cleaver I feel like I'm intentionally gimping myself. Which could also be true in Dark Souls 1 with the Black Knight weapons, except that the fact they're rare drops makes you excited to use them when you get them, instead of having to force yourself not to use them to try a different build.

On my most recent replay of BB a couple of months ago, I started with the Hunter Axe just to try something different and it was like a completely new game. I'm so bad with that fucking thing. I think I made it to the Shadows of Yharnam before I changed back to my bread-and-butter Holy Blade.

Oct 25, 2017
On my most recent replay of BB a couple of months ago, I started with the Hunter Axe just to try something different and it was like a completely new game. I'm so bad with that fucking thing. I think I made it to the Shadows of Yharnam before I changed back to my bread-and-butter Holy Blade.
The Holy Moonlight Sword is my favorite, but it still feels like I could just be doing so much more damage if I was playing with the starting weapon. That to me is a bit of an issue.

On the other hand, it's not an issue I'd like to see fixed, because the Saw Cleaver is soooo much fun. The way people trivialize certain encounters with the Axe is just spamming the charged R2, but in order to make the Saw Cleaver truly broken, you need to use paper, beast blood pellets and transformation attacks. It's FUN to break the game with it, so I'm ok with it making any other build feel weak.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Please don't perpetuate this nonsense
Yeah sorry, Dark Souls 2 is clearly as good as Bloodborne.
But maybe the terms "a & b team" are not so great since they imply one team is less talented than the other, when it's 90% more to do with budget, Dark Souls 2 had good ideas but Namco Bandai really shortchanged them & you can see it in many areas.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Holy Moonlight Sword is my favorite, but it still feels like I could just be doing so much more damage if I was playing with the starting weapon. That to me is a bit of an issue.

On the other hand, it's not an issue I'd like to see fixed, because the Saw Cleaver is soooo much fun. The way people trivialize certain encounters with the Axe is just spamming the charged R2, but in order to make the Saw Cleaver truly broken, you need to use paper, beast blood pellets and transformation attacks. It's FUN to break the game with it, so I'm ok with it making any other build feel weak.

It depends on the part of the game you're in, too. Serrated weapons do more damage to beast-type enemies but that's not the case for Kin type enemies.

The Moonlight Sword is great for sure, but that Arcane requirement...woof. It took some work to correct my build to be able to use it to its peak effectiveness.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
So this will be 5th fromsoft game this gen. 1 sequel(ds3) and 4 new IPs( BB, Sekiro, Deracine and Elden Ring).
I am so happy they are trying new things, not many studios are doing that. They could easily just pump out a dark souls and Bloodborne in consecutive years and make ton of money, but nah. And with Sekiro being their biggest launch despite no multiplayer/rpg elements, I am glad it's paying out for them.
I am in day 1 whatever they do.

Oct 25, 2017
So this will be 5th fromsoft game this gen. 1 sequel(ds3) and 4 new IPs( BB, Sekiro, Deracine and Elden Ring).
I am so happy they are trying new things, not many studios are doing that. They could easily just pump out a dark souls and Bloodborne in consecutive years and make ton of money, but nah. And with Sekiro being their biggest launch despite no multiplayer/rpg elements, I am glad it's paying out for them.
Yeah, even more if you consider that Dark Souls II came the year after the current consoles came out, and that Elden Ring will be released before the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro was their best launch ever and Elden Ring seems like it will be their biggest game ever. Assuming everything aligns well, it should mean a lot of commercial success for From with this one.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Agreed, happy to see the studio slowly going away from DkS games, Sekiro was their biggest launch and was also the first big game they have released in a while that changes the formula in a meaningful way. Really hyped to see Elden even if I'm afraid it would be more close to DkS than Sekiro was.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Really excited for this, I knew it was true the moment it leaked! I'm really happy that they're moving away from Sekiro as well

Shame it leaked though

SushiMassage

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
I hate these leaks, and the idiots who do it to just get some attention on twitter.

Why leak something that will be announced on stage in one day, destroying the fun for people who are hyped for e3?

Idiocy.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
I love these leaks, and the heroes that do it so i can free some time up on Sunday for other activities

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
Please allow for adjustable difficulty settings, especially for newcomers excited to see a new work from George Martin.

betawaychill

Jun 6, 2018
I hate these leaks, and the idiots who do it to just get some attention on twitter.

Why leak something that will be announced on stage in one day, destroying the fun for people who are hyped for e3?

Idiocy.
If it bothers you this much (and this applies to anyone else really that upset by learning details), you should probably not be browsing video game news websites a day before E3. Help yourself out. This happens every year lol.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

How can having lots of options for players to pick from "not add anything to depth"?

Bloodborne would be a worse game if everyone used the same weapon. Even if you never change the invaders and allies etc will be using different weapons and styles.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro was their best launch ever and Elden Ring seems like it will be their biggest game ever. Assuming everything aligns well, it should mean a lot of commercial success for From with this one.
That multiplayer component and the ensuing variety alone will bring people who are more about Dark soul loot stuff right back.

Nov 18, 2018
Please allow for adjustable difficulty settings, especially for newcomers excited to see a new work from George Martin.
I would love this, because I really want to play this game but I just know I would get way too frustrated with the usual difficulties of From games (I've only tried Bloodborne and gave up pretty quickly). Doubt it will happen though because difficulty is pretty much From's signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.