• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
www.gamerbraves.com

Elden Ring ‘s Yasuhiro Kitao Says Margit Was Overtuned For Beta And More In New Interview

Just two weeks out from the game's launch, we caught up with Elden Ring producer Yasuhiro Kitao about all things

New interview with Kitao. I'll spoiler my summary, my thoughts will be in [ ]:
  • HUD has been updated to be less sterile
  • Magic has been "tuned" compared to the CNT, along with hints at updates to how enemies will react.
    • [Honestly, magic was never really interactive in Souls, and I don't expect that to change]
  • Margit difficulty tuned down a tad.
    • [Keep in mind, your character in the CNT was OP, so could be net 0 change]
  • Expect Midir/Orphan tier bosses to be found in the world, but not to gatekeep mainline progress.
  • No more gestures to unlock hidden areas
    • [THIS IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU BELIEVE]
  • Respec will require a "slightly rare" item. Re-creating your character appearance will be "bit more easygoing".
  • No boss rush/rematch planned.
  • The online vulnerability has been addressed and will NOT be an issue for Elden Ring launch.

Mar 23, 2019
The ps4 to ps5 upgrade is free.....so any reason for me not to order the ps4 version and run in case the ps5 version does have FPS issues?

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
www.gamerbraves.com

Elden Ring ‘s Yasuhiro Kitao Says Margit Was Overtuned For Beta And More In New Interview

Just two weeks out from the game's launch, we caught up with Elden Ring producer Yasuhiro Kitao about all things

New interview with Kitao. I'll spoiler my summary, my thoughts will be in [ ]:
  • HUD has been updated to be less sterile
  • Magic has been "tuned" compared to the CNT, along with hints at updates to how enemies will react.
    • [Honestly, magic was never really interactive in Souls, and I don't expect that to change]
  • Margit difficulty tuned down a tad.
    • [Keep in mind, your character in the CNT was OP, so could be net 0 change]
  • Expect Midir/Orphan tier bosses to be found in the world, but not to gatekeep mainline progress.
  • No more gestures to unlock hidden areas
    • [THIS IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU BELIEVE]
  • Respec will require a "slightly rare" item. Re-creating your character appearance will be "bit more easygoing".
  • No boss rush/rematch planned.
  • The online vulnerability has been addressed and will NOT be an issue for Elden Ring launch.

I figured they would have the PC online issue addressed for launch but it's good to get a confirmation. I just hope we can get an ultrawide fix/mod soon after launch that doesn't get flagged by EAC.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Any idea if performance/ beauty is better on PS4 Pro or Xbox Series S? I'll be playing in 1080p

From the Digital Foundry analysis of the Network Test, Series S runs with the same visual settings as the Series X and PS5 version (foliage, shadows, draw distances, textures), just at a lower resolution.

PS4 Pro is higher resolution (reconstructed 1800p much like Sekiro) but with a lower tier of graphical settings (same as PS4).

Series S should run better in its performance mode (between 45 - 60fps) whereas PS4 Pro performs similar to Sekiro, hovering between 30-40fps.

I'd definitely pick Series S over PS4 Pro. While performance isn't ideal, you can at least use VRR to help out, and it has higher quality settings. Not to mention you also get much faster load times.

This is of course based on the Network test and not the final release of the game.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm so damn ready for this game.

I've not seen the release time / schedule yet (couldn't find one?), but I may have to once again relocate to NZ just to get it sooner...

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
store.bandainamcoent.com

Elden Ring Collector's Edition PlayStation 5 - Preorder

FYI, Collector's Edition back in stock.

Anyone have experience ordering from them?
It says 7-10 days for shipping!
Does that mean I'll get it 10 days after launch? :(
They're already preparing shipping for preorders today, that said Tales of Arise was late and they just emailed game codes to people affected.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
store.bandainamcoent.com

FYI, Collector's Edition back in stock.

Anyone have experience ordering from them?
It says 7-10 days for shipping!
Does that mean I'll get it 10 days after launch? :(

Just to be sure, there isn't a CE for PC anywhere is there? I know the key would probably be digital with no game disc, but dammit I want those physical items!

Oct 25, 2017
You can upgrade from the PS4 disc too?

Are you going phsyical or digital? I assume a physical disk gets the free upgrade as well, but I don't see that specified.....
From Namco's own store page:

A free upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version will be available for players who purchase ELDEN RING on PlayStation 4, and SmartDelivery will be supported for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. ELDEN RING™ & ©2021 BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / ©2021 FromSoftware, Inc.

I assume they are selling the physical disc and not codes for PSN.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
www.youtube.com

Elden Ring NEW Gameplay: FULL GAME Hands-On Preview!

The eagerly awaited Elden Ring is getting new gameplay from a special hands-on session that we were incredibly lucky to participate in. https://fextralife.co...

Includes a spoiler free summary and intro. I also checked out the character classes section, but skipped everything else.

this video is astronomically spoilery and i don't recommend it to anyone in any capacity if you have any sensitivity to spoilers.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if I get the physical PS5 version, then there is no way for me to play the PS4 version in case I wanna play that for performance reasons?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
this video is astronomically spoilery and i don't recommend it to anyone in any capacity if you have any sensitivity to spoilers.

I'm actually glad I watched this.

Kinda wrote the game off as I'm a bit fatigued with the Souls' formula, but this looks to be bringing some broader innovation and deeper questing to the table.

Might Wishlist it and pick it up on sale now.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm actually glad I watched this.

Kinda wrote the game off as I'm a bit fatigued with the Souls' formula, but this looks to be bringing some broader innovation and deeper questing to the table.

Might Wishlist it and pick it up on sale now.

i Mean, you don't need to watch this video to hear that info. "Expanded questing with deeper mechanics and innovation" is described in every video without giving away what seems to be a MASSIVE twist, an entire questline leading to a new boss and some other elements.

I mean, it's a great video I am just giving out a serious warning that this video is like 15% spoiler free summary and 85% spoilery stuff not covered in other videos.

Thanks for the heads up, the Eurogamer one is very spoilery as well. I had to turn it off after a few minutes they started naming off NPC's and locations fairly early on.

Yes, vaati actually said it well "Lots of other folks are going to rush to new content in a war of finding the coolest things to share" and hoooo boy did fextralife do JUST that.

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I could get into Souls games :(

I felt the exact same way...until i tried Bloodborne 3 weeks ago. Just finished it last night and loved every minute of it. That game has such a cool vibe/tone and an artstyle unlike anything I've played in recent memory. The combat took me a little bit to get comfortable with, but once you realize the boss fights are like a game within the game itself (does that make sense?) it's a ton of fun. If you're gonna start somewhere, that might not be a bad place!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I was like this until Bloodborne. I couldn't get through any Souls games for some reason, but it changed once I finished BB. I got stuck at Rom for some strange reason, like two weeks. To this day, he's been the hardest From boss to me. I had to get one of my friends to help me get through him. Once I did, I finished the game; most of the bosses, I one-shotted them.

I then went back to Dark Souls and finished that because I felt cocky. DS3 came out, and I finished that too. Sekiro was the hardest, but I got through that one. DS2 is one that I am still playing and want to finish. I also finished Demon's Souls Remake, the first time I ever finished Demon's Souls.

It takes that one game and moment to propel you through. This might be the game that will do it.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017

I'm like a few others in this thread. Never was into it, then got sucked in by DS1 at some point last year. Afterwards, beat DeS, DS2, and BB plus all the DLC in each game. I think you have to break through that initial "fuck this game" moment I hit on previous attempts at getting into the series.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm like a few others in this thread. Never was into it, then got sucked in by DS1 at some point last year. Afterwards, beat DeS, DS2, and BB plus all the DLC in each game. I think you have to break through that initial "fuck this game" moment I hit on previous attempts at getting into the series.
I can vouch for this. My first Souls game was Bloodborne, which I got at release in 2015. I pounded my head against the difficulty wall for days to the point that I beat Father G, decided I found it more tedious and stressful than fun, and gave up on it.

A year later, I decided to give it another shot and now its possibly my favorite game of all time (but when 60 FPS FROM!?).

It's not something you can easily explain, or guarantee will happen, but the series just has to "click" with you at some point, and some times it takes walking away for a while to let it do that.

Sep 21, 2019
I'm so confused....

I thought that the press literally had review copies of the game already, like weeks ago. These previews clearly suggest that is not the case since so many are taking about being super excited to play the final product.

So does this confirm press does not yet have the game codes for review? Or is this just a hype preview from other people at press outlets just playing 7 hours and not reviewing the game?

Or is it the people reviewing the game, who have had the code for weeks, and are just talking about a 7 hour jaunt through the opening of the game?

I'm so fucking confused.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If you're solely judging this from this thread then that would be naive... most of the souls fans don't want to get spoiled on the game and want to enter fresh which is why you see little activity. The MOST precious thing to any of us is experiencing Souls games for the very first time FRESH.

The hype is absolutely massive and way above any other soul game in general.

Yes. I realize the hype for Elden Ring is off the charts. Hence the joke. Which apparently 1/3 Era users get.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I don't normally preorder anyway, but based on the beta there's no way I'm preordering until I see console performance reviews.

Sucks that we can't get an updated preview for consoles 😞

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
as someone that does not like hard games, prefers to play on easy to normal difficulties and doesn't enjoy dying over and over again but really loves exploring and finding surprises in open world games, do you think this will be worth my time at all?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm so confused....

I thought that the press literally had review copies of the game already, like weeks ago. These previews clearly suggest that is not the case since so many are taking about being super excited to play the final product.

So does this confirm press does not yet have the game codes for review? Or is this just a hype preview from other people at press outlets just playing 7 hours and not reviewing the game?

Or is it the people reviewing the game, who have had the code for weeks, and are just talking about a 7 hour jaunt through the opening of the game?

I'm so fucking confused.
no review codes yet

Sep 21, 2019

So this basically confirms that the Souls dude on Twitter was lying.

Also, the one journalist who posted about the feeling when you play a new game and it makes you appreciate the medium all over again with a gif of Nic Cage from Con Air...he must have been referring to Horizon FW, then, which is what I figured 😉

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Watching the Easy Allies video has brought my hype to critical levels. I haven't been this excited for a game since Dark Souls 1.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that you can just explore other areas and come back if you feel like you're stuck on a boss is pretty massive for someone like me

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
as someone that does not like hard games, prefers to play on easy to normal difficulties and doesn't enjoy dying over and over again but really loves exploring and finding surprises in open world games, do you think this will be worth my time at all?
Either you'd have to be open to changing your mind on that (and the Souls series does do this for some), or no.