• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Where does "the game has difficulty settings" rank on self-imposed vs imposed for you? Genuinely curious not trying to start anything.
I've talked about it before but in a sense when a game has a difficulty option then the game is only as hard as you are personally allowing it to be. You always have the option of just starting over on an easier mode. You can think of it like a fight against yourself rather than a fight against the game, which has its own unique appeal.

Without options than the difficulty is imposed on you regardless of how you do or don't feel about it. It can feel like you're really fighting against the game.

They seem similar but they're actually really different from eachother but like the other poster said, this thread has long since veered away from that kind of nuance.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty awkward to see people ablesplain to disabled folks in this thread >.>
Yep, and as a disabled person like myself it's a bit much. I am able to handle these games despite some of my disability problems. I know everyone is different though but I accept what the devs did for their games at least.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Yo I just wanna say I tried out that jellyfish people shouted out and goddamn that thing is good. Straight up pulling aggro sometimes in addition to its own attacks. Don't sleep on it.
Is it good without upgrades? I have it but i've only used the wolves so far because there's multiple of them.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Also I think it's WILD how a 10 year old meme coined by a bunch of teens and early 20's basement dwellers managed to have such a tight grip on some people

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yo I just wanna say I tried out that jellyfish people shouted out and goddamn that thing is good. Straight up pulling aggro sometimes in addition to its own attacks. Don't sleep on it.

Yep, she can tank so much damage. Does a better job of distracting a boss than a player summon, and without buffing the boss' health bar.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I do think it's funny if someone says "the game should have an easy option", that's "asking them to change their artistic vision".

But I can make a thread where I call them lazy developers for not implementing Ultrawide support or for capping the framerate at 60 and somehow that doesn't receive the same response, despite also being by design.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
oh yes the old "get gud" BS dont stop you from adding other thing for ppl who are disabled or colour blind as for ppl crying that you shouldnt play the game then stop gate keeping no one taking your game from you it be the same for you

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I've talked about it before but in a sense when a game has a difficulty option then the game is only as hard as you are personally allowing it to be. You always have the option of just starting over on an easier mode. You can think of it like a fight against yourself rather than a fight against the game, which has its own unique appeal.

Without options than the difficulty is imposed on you regardless of how you do or don't feel about it. It can feel like you're really fighting against the game.

They seem similar but they're actually really different from each other but like the other poster said, this thread has long since veered away from that kind of nuance.
Sure, and I agree with what you've written here (including the part about lacking the nuance to discuss it properly). Most recently Horizon Forbidden West's customized difficulty settings I think is my ideal implementation.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is it good without upgrades? I have it but i've only used the wolves so far because there's multiple of them.
Depends on where you are, maybe. I was in the second big area and hadn't messed with the summon spirits at all until I saw them discussed here so I dumped my upgrades on the jellyfish asap (upgraded twice I think) and used it for the big boss of the second area.

If the wolves are working for you then I'd say keep using them until they aren't. Multiple of them does sound good. I just wasn't using the spirits at all which is part of why I was impressed lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I also think it's odd. It seems really weird to be against options today. When you see games like Forbidden West with options to tweak so many things and so many accessibility options cheering games that don't do that is just bizarre to me. I mean I'm not sitting here saying they have to do it clearly they don't it's just odd to see it cheered.

I also find it a bit inconsistent all the people who say let the developer do whatever they want when many people saying this are attacking developers in other threads I'm sure for their own decisions. I don't see people rushing to Ubisofts defense over their open world decisions they are usually attacked. When the industry needs to do better in representation I don't see a bunch of people come out and say let developers make the art they want to make and not compromise on their vision.

I don't support From being forced to do anything (and of course they wouldn't) but the shutdown discussion of play something else or don't compromise on what they want to do is just odd to me.

For a forum that plays at being inclusive and progressive, it definitely feels like a weird turn whenever this discussion comes up.

Dragonus45

Banned
Jan 31, 2022
I do think it's funny if someone says "the game should have an easy option", that's "asking them to change their artistic vision".

But I can make a thread where I call them lazy developers for not implementing Ultrawide support or for capping the framerate at 60 and somehow that doesn't receive the same response, despite also being by design.

That actually is interesting, and at least for Ultrawide I imagine that would genuinely change a lot of the process and creation of models and art so it makes perfect sense they might not want to for artistic or time sensitivity reasons. No idea about framerates though those are mysterious spooky magic to me.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think given his difficulty and dialogue, Margit is meant to be your first wall. He's constantly taunting you and telling you that you're not worthy, that you're trash, etc. I think that's the moment From wanted players to retreat and go explore some more to get stronger before coming back and defeating him. I think it's pretty well-done. There's an entire like 90% of Limgrave still to explore besides the road to Margit.
I went to the castle once I realized I was skipping it after leaving the broken bridge route.

I could have just kept going where the bon fires were pointing but I figured that you'll eventually have to go to these strong holds to progress through.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
A strong allure to these games is how cryptic and mysterious they are which is heightened by the difficulty and the tension that brings. I'm honestly surprised that people enjoy playing this game with cheat trainers.

Why don't people just play with cheat trainers (or whatever they're called) rather than constantly scream into the void that the game needs to do this for them? This is particularly baffling in a thread that is based around the developer saying they aren't going to change their design philosophy.

May 14, 2021
It pretty much tanked Margit for me. The game is full of both little and big ways to alleviate the difficulty. Elden Ring is just a brilliant evolution of the series in all manner of ways.

May 14, 2021

Go ahead and try to make a "lazy dev" thread. It'll get closed, and you'll get banned. Also your analogy is simply laughable.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
For a forum that plays at being inclusive and progressive, it definitely feels like a weird turn whenever this discussion comes up.

We have thread after thread of people attacking artists vision and developers need to do better here but when it comes to From it seems like all that is lost in the freedom for them to do whatever they want.

If we applied that logic everywhere the games industry wouldn't ever progress. As I said the double standard applied to their games is odd to me. I mean it's fine to be passionate fans of a studios games and at the same time criticize them. I don't understand why some are so set against that idea with some studios and not others.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
If you're having trouble in Elden Ring, go south. The entire area to the south of the starting area is much easier than Stormvale castle.

May 14, 2021
As long as I don't say the words "lazy dev", and instead call it a "bad port", that'll skirt the ban despite saying the same thing

I don't see how demanding a change in aspect ratio doesn't count.
From not being as technically proficient as the larger devs isn't a design choice. A wavering framerate isn't a design choice. The core gameplay however is a conscious choice, one that they're happy with and have no desire to change. And all it has netted them is more and more acclaim and fans with each release. They stuck to their vision and at the same time actually made the game easier. Just not in the ways others are demanding of them. Oh well.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I love From games and think they should be commended for making Elden Ring in many ways their most approachable game yet. 30 hours in and it's looking to be a top 10, if not top 5 GOAT game for me.

That said, I've yet to see a single compelling argument from this community against including more difficulty options in their games... they always lean on a greatest hits of nebulous concepts (the "creative vision" or "game's identity" posters) or gatekeeping (the "not all games have to be for everyone" posters) or semantics (the "difficulty =/= accessibility" posters) or is-ought fallacies (the "it's worked for them so far" posters) or persecution complexes (the "why do only Souls games get criticized for difficulty" posters) or straight up ad hominem attacks questioning the intent or sincerity of the posters critical of From's approach to difficulty options.

Obviously, granular difficulty options are not a priority for From... though neither is optimizing their game engine's performance so their priorities should hardly be shielded from criticism.

The reality is their games' difficulty is already not the same for all players; there is no singular Souls experience. An easy mode for us Souls veterans might still be a perfectly difficult experience that affords the feeling of overcoming adversity to potential players for whom the default difficulty is prohibitive... in other words, easier difficulty modes that affect enemy movement and HP might allow many people to experience Miyazaki's "creative vision" that they cannot otherwise. While the PC versions of their games can be modded to be more approachable in this way, it would be nice for console players to have these options as well.

That said, I think From should focus on getting their house in order on the technical side of things first before devoting resources to granular difficulty settings.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to hear that. I think about this a lot in these topics, but I never know how to really articulate it. Like, as an able-bodied person, I can't speak for disabled players. And it's not like disabled players are a monolith either. But I do find the singular focus on easy mode sliders to be a little much compared to other accessibility stuff like on-screen indicators to replace audio cues and so forth. Even if "there's no discussion because people agree", there hasn't really been a campaign to communicate this to From. Imagine channeling even a fraction of this effort into that. And it's not like the easy mode discussion has evolved enough to warrant the 20th 1000 post thread on it either tbh.
I was a little frustrated with that first post and didn't come at the topic with a clear head, but I will say this: most accessibility discussion being focused on tools that also benefit able bodied players has rubbed me the wrong way. Might just be me being kind of an ass about it but it's how I feel.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people can accept and finally move on now. There's other games with ez modes and tons of accessibility options. You can go play those.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
The general argument is that, at least involving summoning, it's basically having someone else play the boss for you which while it may get you past that bit of tricky content does mean you aren't really getting the feeling of beating it yourself. Leveling up does just less then I think people think it does unless you seriously grind for a long while for getting past the actual proper Walls in the game who will remain unmentioned for spoilers.
Except it's not having someone else do it for you. I've helped others with bosses and both of us do enough to warrant 50/50 effort. And you are incorrect about leveling up. It makes a huge difference. And it is not hours of grinding. Unless you're trying to farm super low lvl enemies. A combination of enough leveling and coop will bring down any walls. The game does easy mode perfectly fine. Players simply need to engage on its terms.

So if I play on console and dont have online access, summoning people that are actually competent is out of the picture. Leveling up helps but at one point when you reach the cap ceiling it wont help as much. Other things like shield or magic, they doesnt drop the difficulty that much.
Online is a big part of the games multiplayer systems. No game is gonna be able to account for every player situation to the max. And I think this is why there are offline NPC summons. Leveling up helps a ton. The game has the systems in place for the majority of players who need help. It is fine. No game will ever be perfect for every player's situation.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
It's a little depressing how much energy is spent on Souls difficulty when actual accessibility options like font, font size, contrast, remappable controls, etc. are actually done super poorly by From games and a majority of game devs in general. But hey at least we get fun circular discussions that go nowhere every single time From releases a game.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We have thread after thread of people attacking artists vision and developers need to do better here but when it comes to From it seems like all that is lost in the freedom for them to do whatever they want.

If we applied that logic everywhere the games industry wouldn't ever progress. As I said the double standard applied to their games is odd to me. I mean it's fine to be passionate fans of a studios games and at the same time criticize them. I don't understand why some are so set against that idea with some studios and not others.
What I don't understand is why is it "an artist's vision" to skillgate a game, when they could make the default "normal" difficulty as hard as they want, and then include an easy mode deep in the settings that would halve damage done to you and double damage done by you (for example), as well as an 'insane' difficulty that does the opposite?

Why is that bad?
(And I ask as someone whose favorite top 5 game of all time is BB)

It's a little depressing how much energy is spent on Souls difficulty when actual accessibility options like font, font size, contrast, remappable controls, etc. are actually done super poorly by From games and a majority of game devs in general. But hey at least we get fun circular discussions that go nowhere every single time From releases a game.
Mostly agreed. I think difficulty is just lumped with accessibility, but there is of course a lot more to it.

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020
What I don't understand is why is it "an artist's vision" to skillgate a game, when they could make the default "normal" difficulty as hard as they want, and then include an easy mode deep in the settings that would halve damage done to you and double damage done by you (for example), as well as an 'insane' difficulty that does the opposite?

Why is that bad?
(And I ask as someone whose favorite top 5 game of all time is BB)

It wouldn't be bad in the slightest and I don't understand those who say it would be. More choices for players is a good thing and hanging your hat on less choice in a game doesn't make sense. I don't remember complaints about Seikro having a harder mode. I don't think people were pissed that God of War has an ultra hard mode as well as easier ones.

If I love a game a second play through on a harder difficulty is almost always something I'll do.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I was a little frustrated with that first post and didn't come at the topic with a clear head, but I will say this: most accessibility discussion being focused on tools that also benefit able bodied players has rubbed me the wrong way. Might just be me being kind of an ass about it but it's how I feel.

I'm with you. It's quite clear that able-bodied users putting their time and energy into debating easy modes aren't putting in anywhere near the same time and energy into demanding accessibility options in other action games, and that's fundamentally because these threads aren't about accessibility but about "is it enjoyable for able-bodied me" and using others' issues as a way of "winning".

Half-off-topic, I just want to say that nearly all accessibility inventions benefit able-bodied people, in a good way. My favourite example is the Cassette Tape (if you're old enough to know/remember those), which were initially designed that way because the old reel-to-reel way of listening to music required physical work that was inaccessible to many. By secondary effect, they made listening to music so much easier that they became more popular with able-bodied listeners despite lower sound quality. I get where you're coming from though, "make it easier for able-bodied people, and that might be good enough for some people with disabilities" is very different than the other way around.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
More options are always better than none, there would be 0 effect on the player that likes the base game if there is an optional easy difficulty. They could even do it DMC style where it's unlocked by dying like 5 times in a short time, that would create a new kind of challenge where you try to beat the game without unlocking said mode

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I hope people can accept and finally move on now. There's other games with ez modes and tons of accessibility options. You can go play those.
Exactly, not every game will be for everyone, just like how not every movie and tv show is for everyone. Plus it helps the Souls games stand out from others as well instead of being like the others.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I mean at the end of the day it is their decision if they don't want to include an easy option, but if there would be one, I see in general no disadvantages for the majority of players who want to be challenged. It would not take something away from the "normal" Experience when there are more choices to play a game, especially when it affects single player. An easy mode isn't suddenly making the game less fun for these playing in the "intended way". Celeste got received very well for its hard difficulty, despite that the Accessibility options make it possible to take away any challenge to the game.

I seriously don't understand why this is even controversial.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Jan 5, 2020

I see that as well and will be the first to admit I've engaged in the default multiple difficulty options that these threads so often turn into. Accessibility options that we have seen in games like Last of Us 2 and continuing to improve on those is really where the conversation should be centered around. That shouldn't get lost in these. Go play other games that have those options is such a ludicrous thought and I can't believe how often it gets thrown around in these. We should be demanding better. Not saying well other companies have some of that so go play those.

Last edited:

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I love From games and think they should be commended for making Elden Ring in many ways their most approachable game yet. 30 hours in and it's looking to be a top 10, if not top 5 GOAT game for me.

That said, I've yet to see a single compelling argument from this community against including more difficulty options in their games... they always lean on a greatest hits of nebulous concepts (the "creative vision" or "game's identity" posters) or gatekeeping (the "not all games have to be for everyone" posters) or semantics (the "difficulty =/= accessibility" posters) or is-ought fallacies (the "it's worked for them so far" posters) or persecution complexes (the "why do only Souls games get criticized for difficulty" posters) or straight up ad hominem attacks questioning the intent or sincerity of the posters critical of From's approach to difficulty options.

Obviously, granular difficulty options are not a priority for From... though neither is optimizing their game engine's performance so their priorities should hardly be shielded from criticism.

The reality is their games' difficulty is already not the same for all players; there is no singular Souls experience. An easy mode for us Souls veterans might still be a perfectly difficult experience that affords the feeling of overcoming adversity to potential players for whom the default difficulty is prohibitive... in other words, easier difficulty modes that affect enemy movement and HP might allow many people to experience Miyazaki's "creative vision" that they cannot otherwise. While the PC versions of their games can be modded to be more approachable in this way, it would be nice for console players to have these options as well.

That said, I think From should focus on getting their house in order on the technical side of things first before devoting resources to granular difficulty settings.

Excellent post.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this push for easy mode as accessibility has gone on for so long that it's not wrong to feel that way. The video by Steve Saylor actually mentions this. That the extreme focus on easy mode has set back actual accessibility discussions.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see that as well and will be the first to admit I've engaged in the default multiple difficulty options that these threads so often turn into. Accessibility options that we have seen in games like Last of Us 2 and continuing to improve on those is really where the conversation should be centered around. That shouldn't get lost in these. Go play other games that have those options is such a ludicrous thought and I can't believe how often it gets thrown around in these. We should be demanding better. Not saying well other companies have some of that so go play those.
People say that because aside from the fact that they believe creators should make their creations however they want, it's already very clear that this developer in particular is not at all interested in adding an easy mode or difficulty slider or whatever. These games have been coming out every few years since 2009 and not a single one has had this feature. And now this interview from Miyazaki is literally saying that it'll never happen because he's not interested. These are 7 games out of the millions out there that will never get difficulty options. At this point, people with a problem with that have nothing to do but try the games out by their rules, use cheats on PC, or play something. Who cares about the high metacritic scores and all the hype. If you feel like you can't play it then you can't play it. You'll be fine. I don't mean you specifically. I'm just saying everyone at this point should probably just accept that it's not happening and not fixate on these SEVEN games so much just because they're hyped.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Elden Ring offers the most "powerful" you could be in a souls game thanks to loot and Great Runes and summons, the "cheese" is real with this game once it is solved for how much damage potential there is, and how much you don't have to actually get skillful at. The magic shooter build can get you through the game if you just don't wanna test your reflexes, which this game offers, but so long as the game doesn't spoonfeed you that you can do this, it will anger people who go in blind and unprepared i guess. I never go in blind because i know i don't have the time to figure stuff out on my own, there is no shame in going into this with a plan to make things easier on myself.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This 100%.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Don't forget color blind modes, not just in from games either. Mirror matches in certain fighting games can actually be impossible for me.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
In game accessibility discussions what I posted above is the commonly accepted what to refer to people with disabilities that many people find offensive. I appreciate that you experience disability yourself but that does not change the reality of my post. You are welcome to refer to yourself as disabled if you wish to, but there are plenty of people in the community who do not wish to be refered to with that term.

Guidelines for Writing About People With Disabilities | ADA National Network

(Printer-friendly PDF version | 311 KB) (Large Print PDF version | 319 KB) (Spanish version) Words are powerful. The words you use and the way you portray individuals with disabilities matters. This factsheet provides guidelines for portraying individuals with disabilities in a respectful...

As always, the argument against semantics is entirely illogical. Words have meaning, why would we communicate using them if they did not? When you choose your words you choose your meaning. This phrase is often considered offensive because it has a certain meaning to many people, I do not see any merit in dismissing that fact.
Posting a bunch of PC guidelines for use by able-bodied people is completely irrelevant to me. I know what the fuck it means to be "disabled", "a person with a disability", or whatever makes you feel warm inside. You can take this educational opportunity to someone else.

Elden Ring not having a toggle for 'Dash' is incredibly stupid as well. To make things worse, it's combined and mapped to the same key as the dodge so you can't configure it to an easier button/key separately. So dumb and shortsighted by From.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I really really don't understand why some people keep saying this about coop. Like, have they ever played a coop game in their lives before?
I've seen YouTube videos of people using summons to help them defeat bosses, and while they certainly help distract the boss to give you opportunities to get in and do some damage, they are far from the "release them and forget it" golden ticket some think they are when it comes to boss fights. I've seen plenty of fights where someone used summons and still got stomped by the boss. Maybe I only saw people use low-levels summons, but the notion that using summons is "having someone else bet the boss for you" seems wildly exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.