• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
Am I the only one that thinks that the leak is lame just for the fact it is set in a SWAMP? I mean, you have the opportunity to show the coolest settings of your game, like Yharnam was for Bloodborne, Lothric Castle for DS3 (Even if Irithyll is better), and they decided to show a swamp to a press? It's like here you go see Blighttown or Earthen Peak, not these big-ass castles we've crafted. I never dig leaks with too many details.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks that the leak is lame just for the fact it is set in a SWAMP? I mean, you have the opportunity to show the coolest settings of your game, like Yharnam was for Bloodborne, Lothric Castle for DS3 (Even if Irithyll is better), and they decided to show a swamp to a press? It's like here you go see Blighttown or Earthen Peak, not these big-ass castles we've crafted. I never dig leaks with too many details.
Its about as creative as saying "there were dogs and large rats in the demo and a mysterious NPC who cackled wildly"

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Just leaving it here.

From https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/cqvodv/elden_ring_possible_leak_from_4chan_obviously/

nh3DH0g.jpg

nzuOZCf.jpg

KAAihZU.jpg

I honestly won't believe at this, a lot of 4chan stuff has been debunked in the past... but still, here it is.
I could have sworn I've read this fanfic before.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why would a "prominent Souls youtuber" leak this? Seems like biting the hand that feeds you, and surely they wouldn't invite that many people - it would cast a bad light on everyone who was invited.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Remeber when they leaked the audio for the behind closed doors Sekiro demo? That was fun. People were trying to visualize the combat based on audio ques.

Qling, qling, qling ughhhhhgn

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I still remember how hype that corrupted monk music was
God i still remember writing up on how the corrupted monk bridge would lead directly to the ashina castle (based on the demo placement) and how little sense it made given how it HAD to be the first boss (you fight her on a bridge and they usually show early bosses on demos)
Was completely wrong lol
Shame i ended up hating the fight because of that forced rematch and how once you get to her she's a nobody compared to all the previous bosses with a more established background

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US
These are very good indeed, but nothing beats black iron helm with drakeblood armor or even lothric knight armor from DS3

Res

Oct 25, 2017
God i still remember writing up on how the corrupted monk bridge would lead directly to the ashina castle (based on the demo placement) and how little sense it made given how it HAD to be the first boss (you fight her on a bridge and they usually show early bosses on demos)
Was completely wrong lol
Shame i ended up hating the fight because of that forced rematch and how once you get to her she's a nobody compared to all the previous bosses with a more established background

I loved the fight itself, but I'm still a bit disappointed that they took away that beautiful sunlight that was present in the demo lol. I mean, the cloudy weather makes sense in the final game considering the actual location, but still
Seems Bandai is trying to keep Elden Ring's presence at Gamescom a secret until then. Major publication Igromania doubling down, and saying the first "Elden Ring demo" will be at Gamescom!

https://m.igromania.ru/news/85300/V...ecialnyy_razdel_posvyaschyonnyy_vystavke.html

Very interesting. The fact that they are a major Russian publication and are saying this for the second time gives me hope

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god and I was thinking about skipping Namco presentation cause I thought it would just be some kind of powerpoint presentation and short teaser :D

Mar 19, 2019
I forgot there was more than one guy named Miyazaki and thought George R. R. Martin and From Software were making a game in a Ghibli world and, I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed.

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
Excited about even better looking sets in Elden Ring. Hope they put a little more effort into clipping issues though.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah it's all personal preference.

No

Nothing is ever gonna beat the GOAT Faraam Set. So damn beautiful.
Red Knight/Soul of Cinder is my favorite, personally
I prefer the Alva, Drakeblood, and Forlorn armor sets myself
Alva%20Set.jpg

04DzEKS.jpg
Drakeblood is some of the best armor in the game for its weight class. And that remains true in DS3.

The best-looking is simply the overall best. No compromise, style or substance.
These are very good indeed, but nothing beats black iron helm with drakeblood armor or even lothric knight armor from DS3

WRONG. Elite Knight Armor best armor, kthxbye

tumblr_n7wg5a0NM81rp9jnvo4_250.gif

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I hope this one has some great writing to go along with the style and good characters to boot. I'd be all over it if they grew a little bit from the Souls stuff.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this one has some great writing to go along with the style and good characters to boot. I'd be all over it if they grew a little bit from the Souls stuff.
By Miyazaki's own admission, you're getting typical souls storytelling. GRRM is doing worldbuilding and history. I get that it's not really everyone's cup of tea but I don't know that going a more standard route would be considered "growth". Ultimately its a stylistic choice and one that continues to be fairly unique in the industry and what they're best at.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
By Miyazaki's own admission, you're getting typical souls storytelling. GRRM is doing worldbuilding and history. I get that it's not really everyone's cup of tea but I don't know that going a more standard route would be considered "growth". Ultimately its a stylistic choice and one that continues to be fairly unique in the industry and what they're best at.
They can grow and do better with their writing and characterization. I don't care about this excuse of limited storytelling. Ghibli does this too just WAY WAY WAY better than From could ever do it. In fact this is not From's style. It's a style from Japanese storytelling that they really don't do all that well if you ask me. I never hardly care about From characters. The ones I do are like in the game for ten lines lol. Not saying they have to completely change or anything, but I'd like some better storytelling in general.

I am not asking for a novel to be written. I am asking to flesh out some damn characters I care about a bit here and there.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good. It blows everything else out of the water.

They can grow and do better with their writing and characterization. I don't care about this excuse of limited storytelling. Ghibli does this too just WAY WAY WAY better than From could ever do it. In fact this is not From's style. It's a style from Japanese storytelling that they really don't do all that well if you ask me. I never hardly care about From characters. The ones I do are like in the game for ten lines lol. Not saying they have to completely change or anything, but I'd like some better storytelling in general.

I am not asking for a novel to be written. I am asking to flesh out some damn characters I care about a bit here and there.
Except they already do that.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
They can grow and do better with their writing and characterization. I don't care about this excuse of limited storytelling. Ghibli does this too just WAY WAY WAY better than From could ever do it.

Ghibli works in an entirely different medium than From, it's not really an "excuse". When you're making a film that spends all of its time with said characters in their most intimate or personal moments its easier to give them more depth. That's a bit harder to do when you have much more limited time with said characters and spend most of your time exploring or in combat. Its like complaining that on screen adaptations spend little to no time inside the characters heads with inner monologues. Its a different medium with a different focus and they're not really trying to make the next big Sony first party narrative title. If that's what you're looking for then perhaps its just not for you. Its an intentional stylistic choice.

Im not saying there isn't room for improvement as there always is with everything. But to pretend as if the characters have no depth at all because every important part of a characters life or traits aren't given to you through cutscenes or dialogue is pretty, well for lack of a better term dishonest. I think this just isn't what you're looking for, and that's okay. You're entitled to your taste and to like or dislike whatever you want. But there's nothing "wrong" with it.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
pu1YN9.gif

RectangularClutteredDunnart-size_restricted.gif

b94a57f82553a245182c0c99cde846082c02b116_hq.gif

tumblr_o58ahpBqPP1tt3wuco3_500.gif

FROMSOFT games have countless examples of emotional, tear-jerking moments. Like I said, just because you yourself doesn't understand subtle storytelling, doesn't mean they should change their style that countless people love and adore.

aLoneWalker

Banned
Jul 16, 2019
Why even comparing Ghibli and From? They make two different kind of medias, you get different feelings from a videogame rather than an animated movie, of course a movie will focus more on character development while a game has crazy atmosphere, soundtracks, gameplay of course and man, the first time I saw the Gael arena, the wasteland, that was really emotional.

They are just two completely different styles and damm I was kinda ninjad by Omni.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Found this and thought I'd share it. Really cool and oddly touching video on Shadow of the Colossus and it has some details and parallels to our own community. While stuff like this is kind of hard to do now when you have games on PC and dataminers in the community, it's cool nonetheless and I look forward to the first few days, weeks,etc of people discovering the world of Elden Ring and its secrets and uncovering its lore. Anyway, this video gave me a newfound appreciation for SoTC.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Ghibli works in an entirely different medium than From, it's not really an "excuse". When you're making a film that spends all of its time with said characters in their most intimate or personal moments its easier to give them more depth. That's a bit harder to do when you have much more limited time with said characters and spend most of your time exploring or in combat. Its like complaining that on screen adaptations spend little to no time inside the characters heads with inner monologues. Its a different medium with a different focus and they're not really trying to make the next big Sony first party narrative title. If that's what you're looking for then perhaps its just not for you. Its an intentional stylistic choice.

Im not saying there isn't room for improvement as there always is with everything. But to pretend as if the characters have no depth at all because every important part of a characters life or traits aren't given to you through cutscenes or dialogue is pretty, well for lack of a better term dishonest. I think this just isn't what you're looking for, and that's okay. You're entitled to your taste and to like or dislike whatever you want. But there's nothing "wrong" with it.
I didn't say there was something wrong with it per se. People can like what they like even if that does include incredibly half-assed characters with little depth. That doesn't even mean it's bad. It's all context. And I don't care about most people in Souls games because our relationships are inherently terribly realized for most of them.

There are a couple good characters in the Souls games, and some good writing too. Most of it on lore sadly. There is room for improvement. Tons of room. Souls game have a 90s vibe to a fault.

Ghibli works in a different medium. They also are better storytellers in any medium.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
User Warned: Antagonizing Another User
Because people don't give fifteen minute long speeches of exposition?

That's your problem, not FROM, who are beloved for their writing.
Yo, people need to stop with this fallacy bullshit. You just asked yourself a question that nobody said a damn thing about. Go reread those posts, child. Where did you spot the one that said people need 15m speeches? I swear to god in every From thread some dude brings this 15m speech fallacy up to deflect any criticism of their games. LOL.

From is beloved for their lore. There is nothing inherently amazing about any of their character writing. Not that many video games can claim that at this point but still. From certainly is not on that list either.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Found this and thought I'd share it. Really cool and oddly touching video on Shadow of the Colossus and it has some details and parallels to our own community. While stuff like this is kind of hard to do now when you have games on PC and dataminers in the community, it's cool nonetheless and I look forward to the first few days, weeks,etc of people discovering the world of Elden Ring and its secrets and uncovering its lore. Anyway, this video gave me a newfound appreciation for SoTC.

This was cool. So there never was (or found) the secret in the PS2 version, but they put one in new in the PS4 remake. Neato. I've never played SOTC but did play Last Guardian and found it...... underwhelming and janky.

Sawzer

Nov 5, 2017
Seems Bandai is trying to keep Elden Ring's presence at Gamescom a secret until then. Major publication Igromania doubling down, and saying the first "Elden Ring demo" will be at Gamescom!

https://m.igromania.ru/news/85300/V...ecialnyy_razdel_posvyaschyonnyy_vystavke.html

They are saying that they were invited to the presentation of Elden Ring for what it's worth.
I'm familiar with Igromania and there is no reason for them to lie.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
If this closed-doors demo thing is true, do you think we'll manage to get some media (videos, screenshots) or just some articles saying "From did it again" ?

aLoneWalker

Banned
Jul 16, 2019
If this closed-doors demo thing is true, do you think we'll manage to get some media (videos, screenshots) or just some articles saying "From did it again" ?
From did what again?

Btw they are probably prohibited from taking photos/videos so if I were one of those lucky ones there I would just enjoy the press and not try such illegal actions just for the sake of 15 minutes of fame. They can probably write something about it tho.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Yo, people need to stop with this fallacy bullshit. You just asked yourself a question that nobody said a damn thing about. Go reread those posts, child. Where did you spot the one that said people need 15m speeches? I swear to god in every From thread some dude brings this 15m speech fallacy up to deflect any criticism of their games. LOL.

From is beloved for their lore. There is nothing inherently amazing about any of their character writing. Not that many video games can claim that at this point but still. From certainly is not on that list either.
What other game gets you to care more deeply for it's characters with a similar amount of dialogue?
Also, would you mind explaining what From and Ghibli's writing have in common? And on what grounds is that an established Japanese style of writing?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh there is real hope we will see something at gamescom?? I am hyped... I've been waiting to see something, anything else from this game

Status
Not open for further replies.