• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed the game.

It has some of the weirdest button press timing for alternate combos I've ever experienced.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I own this game. Even next to current gen games it is VERY visually striking and quite stylish

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I remember it from the 1up Exodus days.
First game that Bettenhausen was doing pr for? Buying ridiculously expensive jeans or something.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own it. It was odd at the time, was hoping it'd come to Xbone BC

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I'm glad I still own a copy from when that game came out. I've never played it all the way through but I like having it in my collection.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it at launch. Cool game. Wish the combat was more fleshed out.

Would love a remaster, but it probably won't happen.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
El Shaddai was a serious case of style over substance, but the style was so god damn unique and compelling, both visually and narratively, that I stuck with it all the way through.
The core gameplay loop is bad and repetitive, but it's wrapped in some of the coolest trappings and presentation of the Gen.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I've got my masters in biblical studies and loved the art style. Bought it expecting it would be all up my alley. Loved the art. Loved the concept. But it... just wasn't all that great.

But I beat it. And would probably fire it up again if it came to modern consoles.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I almost kinda regret not grabbing this and Folklore when I had the chance.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I love this game. And I have never understood the hate it gets. Honestly I'm pretty sure most people that critique it haven't actually beaten the game because it's not exactly easy and it's decently lengthy for an action game. I've never heard interesting insight into the plot either - it's always just "meh I don't like it" the stuff that happens with the Grigori and Ishtar as well as Enoch/Lucifel is so awesome.

It has such a cool story, visual variety, gameplay switch ups and is just so unique. I've never played anything like it before or since.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I remember this game, becouse i wrote my first review about it for a print magazine. :']

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It had a lot of potential but it didn't deliver. The combat was meh, the platforming was bad and the story a mess. It was pretty though

Oct 25, 2017
I actually remember seeing some of the the MADs that came out of the first 2 trailers for the game.

Basically anything in the recommended of these two trailers with a japanese title is taking the piss - The cheese ("I love you", "no problem, everything's fine" following Enoch getting beaten), the pants, the flair, the hypnotic editing of the dialogue/character's names (which was already lasciviously enunciated to begin with), etc. Its all coming back, and it still perplexes me.

Then the demo came out... and it just didn't grab me. Combat felt really basic, its just wasn't very good. Bayonetta had stylized bite sized set-pieces of wildly varying quality similar to this game the year or so prior, but it stuck the landing while this game fell flat. Way too esoteric and dead serious without the actual gameplay depth to back it up.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Linking it to Okami makes the shield, blade, projectile weapon system seem inherited too.
One of the best stages I've played in 30+ years of video games

Geez. What I heard about this game was it was some sort of artsy religious game but then suddenly F-Zero road curves and Japanese action set pieces. I guess considering the pedigree, that's not too out there but wow, wasn't expecting that.

What a visual trip.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This game was on PlayStation Now but got removed for some reason, dammit.
I'll have to track down a physical copy someday.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
for 2 years I kept looking for it semi rather cheap, and last year on July finally got it. It's fucking beautiful.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Makers of Okami" is very generous

"youve never heard of" is also pretty misleading

Oct 27, 2017
I actually picked this up for PS3 not too long ago. Have yet to play it, but I'm looking forward to more stylish weirdness after Asura's Wrath.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
ps4-the-lost-child-570x708.jpg

Did anyone play its sequel?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The best advice for enjoying this game is to turn down the difficulty and enjoy the weird and gorgeous presentation.

The combat is garbage. The game's idea of difficulty is to waste your time with ridiculously drawn out battles on Normal or above.