• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Jesse get a happy ending?

• Yes

Votes: 231 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 248 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
NzlmoXS.gif
😜
Good, gooooooooddd.. let the hate flow through you.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't really understand the people saying this was unnecessary. For me, thinking more on it, it was more like a proper epilogue 2 part episode for Jesse, much like Granite State and Felina were for Walt. I also don't really feel the comments about character's ages/bodies, I'm just grateful to get more Breaking Bad, which is essentially what this is.

I really enjoyed how it gave some much needed insight and color into Jesse Pinkman's time and experience with the Nazis, and Todd, who I wasn't super big on during the shows run. Both of those things were improved with this I feel.

It was also some pretty great open ended closure for pretty much all of Jesse's sphere of people that were within his life, plus Jesse Pinkman growing into the character he could be by the end.

I need to watch this again, along with Breaking Bad in general.

I loved it, but it was totally unnecessary.
Breaking Bad ends with Jesse driving off into the sunset and leaving a bunch of bad shit behind him. Then El Camino picks up where that left off...and a bunch of bad shit happens and Jesse rides off into the sunset leaving it all behind. It's just a weird little narrative cul-de-sac.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Simplly fantastic and a great epilogue to the show.

Can't wait for S5 of BCS now.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished it and I enjoyed it all the way through. Does it really add anything to the series, not really but it's nice to revisit the universe in a way that makes sense and doesn't detract from the series.

Won't be surprised if we see more jesse in BCS near the end. Could even have Saul head to Alaska leaving potential for some sort of sequel series.

Vlad

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but it was totally unnecessary.
Breaking Bad ends with Jesse driving off into the sunset and leaving a bunch of bad shit behind him. Then El Camino picks up where that left off...and a bunch of bad shit happens and Jesse rides off into the sunset leaving it all behind. It's just a weird little narrative cul-de-sac.

Exactly.

I mean, I'm assuming most people assumed that Jesse either got caught or managed to get away to somewhere quiet. Twice in BB there were times when Jesse almost had the chance to get away from everything and start over, and the two places he mentioned getting away two were New Zealand and Alaska. Given that, I personally had assumed that Jesse would end up trying to get away to someplace quiet like that, or get caught by the police. I don't think anybody was thinking he was going to hang around in Albuquerque and start cooking meth or something, so it seemed really weird to come back to a show six years after it ended and tacking on an ending that pretty much everybody had assumed was what was going to happen anyway.

I did have one question about the plot, though, that I don't think I've seen anybody else bring up:

How on earth did everybody know Jesse was involved with Jack's crew, and so quickly, no less? It's not like Jesse had timecards or anything from his six months in captivity, and anybody who could attest to the fact that he was there in the first place was dead. One of the things I took away from Felina was that Walt dying where he did secured his legacy, since it sounds like everybody had assumed that he had been cooking the blue meth for those six months anyway, and his body was found in the lab.

And speaking of Felina, it's kind of off-topic, but I never participated in the discussions when it came out:

I've seen a couple people mention that Walt got off too clean by having his plans work out perfectly in Felina. Is that the consensus? I read things kind of differently, myself. There were four things that Walt was trying to take care of going into Felina:

1) Give Skyler the lottery ticket so that she could trade the information of Hank and Gomie's bodies for leniency from the feds.
2) Scare Gretchen and Elliot into giving Jr. the pile of money on his 18th birthday.
3) Kill Jack and his crew as revenge for killing Hank and stealing Walt's money, as well as protecting Skyler and the kids from any reprisals.
4) Kill Jesse in order to preserve his legacy as the sole cook of the blue meth.

At first, I was kind of fuzzy on #4, but that scene with Badger and Skinny Pete cemented it for me. Walt asks them if the blue meth is still out and about, and growls about Jesse once they confirm that it is and that they thought that he was the one cooking it.

So of those, he pulls off #3 definitively, and I had always assumed that he sort of did #4 by saving Jesse and being found in the meth lab.

As far as #1 and 2, though, I never really felt like those plans were all that solid. While I'm sure that Skyler might have been able to bargain for something with the coordinates, I can't imagine that that would be enough to get the authorities completely off her back.

And with Gretchen and Elliot, BB showed us multiple times that the devil is in the details. Sure, they seemed scared enough to believe Walt's threat and I don't doubt that they were going to try to do what he demanded, but I never was 100% confident that they'd succeed. They'd presumably be under intense scrutiny as soon as they gave Jr a ton of money out of the blue, and they would have had to find a shady enough accountant to properly embed Walt's money into their own finances so it wouldn't be seen as hundreds and thousands of unreported income. They don't seem the type to have access to people that shady. Heck, the only reason Walt ever managed to make any useful contacts in the underworld was through either Mike or Saul, and G&E presumably don't have access to someone like that.

Either way, those plans never seemed like sure things, and they always felt like pitiful gestures considering that Walt could have done what Saul suggested in Granite State, turned himself in back then, and THEN Skyler would presumably have been much better off.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Finally found the time watching this as well. I liked it and as I expected it felt like watching an extended episode of Breaking Bad, as many already mentioned. Grounded, tense and well acted and definitely a fitting end to the Pinkman story. Was it necessary to tell this story? Absolutely not, but it felt nice to revisit this universe.

my rating is a strong 3 out of 5

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I could definitely see a third show set in Alaska with new protagonists and Jesse as this mysterious, kinda creepy secondary character being made. It could explore yet another side of crime after drug cartel with Breaking Bad and law crime with Better Call Saul.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could definitely see a third show set in Alaska with new protagonists and Jesse as this mysterious, kinda creepy secondary character being made. It could explore yet another side of crime after drug cartel with Breaking Bad and law crime with Better Call Saul.

In my head canon I'd hope that Jesse learned the hard way that crime doesn't pay and that he needs to stay the fuck away from it.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In my head canon I'd hope that Jesse learned the hard way that crime doesn't pay and that he needs to stay the fuck away from it.

I was thinking something more like he gets dragged into it for a variety of reasons but isn't a major player of it. Something like maybe he makes some friends in Alaska that get involved in some shady stuff and he tries to take them out of it only to be dragged into it as well.
Just a simple concept really but I wouldn't put it past Gilligan and AMC.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Watched this today and thought it was a great conclusion to the series. I think from the trailer, I expected something a bit different, but I was satisfied with what we got.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this today and thought it was a great conclusion to the series. I think from the trailer, I expected something a bit different, but I was satisfied with what we got.

It was a decent conclusion for Jesse although he's quite much where he was at the start of the movie just farther away from the scene. The issue is indeed that they hyped this up as something else that would show the aftermath of the mayhem Walter and his pals/enemies caused, with a giant manhunt against the remaining survivors, Hank being remembered and all that. None of that happened, which is slightly disappointing to me.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It was a decent conclusion for Jesse although he's quite much where he was at the start of the movie just farther away from the scene. The issue is indeed that they hyped this up as something else that would show the aftermath of the mayhem Walter and his pals/enemies caused, with a giant manhunt against the remaining survivors, Hank being remembered and all that. None of that happened, which is slightly disappointing to me.

I expected a manhunt as well from the trailers and a time jump, where we see Jesse months or years later still dealing with being on the run or from all the stuff that happened. I think how it ended with Jesse was fine and gave closure to the fact that he was given the opportunity to start fresh and confirm he got away. I was surprised how they handled the news about Walt, though I'm not surprised with the direction of focusing strictly on Jesse.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I enjoyed it all the way through. Does it really add anything to the series, not really but it's nice to revisit the universe in a way that makes sense and doesn't detract from the series.

Won't be surprised if we see more jesse in BCS near the end. Could even have Saul head to Alaska leaving potential for some sort of sequel series.

I'm sure they have Cinnabon's in Anchorage?

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
Went in blind with no preconceptions. It was the perfect epilogue for Jesse. Loved it.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it without watching any trailers and it was really solid, extended BB episode. I really liked it that they made a flashback for the BB series for the movie.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There's two things that Vince Gilligan knows how to do with excellence - he knows how to expand on a world and it's characters that don't need it and he knows how to frame pulp.

Like BCS this wasn't needed but it can't say that I wasted my time watching it. Jesse didn't really have closure in the show - it was highly compressed to a few moments of "he most likely got his freedom".
Here it's set up better. He has an agenda and he still has his values and redeeming qualities even after all that's happened to him.

The worst thing I can say about this movie is that Gilligan is no Sergio Leone. The lead up to the end didn't quite work for me. The rest was very well done - and he knows well how to ride the line between fanservice and developing side characters further.
I really liked it - I'm looking forward to season 5 of BCS now.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely loved this. Perfect epilogue. God what a show BB was.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I really liked it. That letter he gave at the end was a letter to Brock. I read that Gilligan had originally had it in the script that the letter was read out loud at the end as Jesse was driving away. And that it was good. Should have kept that in.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
As an epilogue to the series the film is really good and there wasn't much more I could ask for. I really enjoyed it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you really think about it, the Albuquerque police are now giving a press conference about Jesse Pinkman, a meth mastermind who robbed and murdered two welders before skipping town.

His mother is clutching at her pearls from the front row of her favorite son's (Dewey Cox's brother) 8th symphony performance.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
How would the cops tie Jesse to that?

Probably lots of forensic evidence in two locations as well as the work of the welding company, three living witnesses who wouldn't be that scared.

They're clearly already looking for him so it's not like they need additional reasons to be suspicious.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree especially after seeing this.

As someone earlier in this thread said, Ozymandias was the ending of Breaking Bad, Granite State and Felina were Walt's epilogue, and El Camino is Jesse's.

it's a great send-off.

And I love that Better Call Saul will ultimately serve as Saul's epilogue.

Jesse Plemons as Todd was fantastic as well. He really made Todd even more creepier and scary than he already was.

agree, just an epilogue...

thank god they didn't did anything to undo the breaking bad story that was already told. having secret walter white clones or whatever lol

it was an ending for jesse with some flashbanks with bb characters that is a great addition to the bb universe without undoing its achievements

nice and simple

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I was thinking something more like he gets dragged into it for a variety of reasons but isn't a major player of it. Something like maybe he makes some friends in Alaska that get involved in some shady stuff and he tries to take them out of it only to be dragged into it as well.
Just a simple concept really but I wouldn't put it past Gilligan and AMC.

After BB first ended I had similar ideas for a future movie, I was thinking a bit more on the lines of him playing the nice guy with a secret criminal past becoming a vigilante kind of role. Working at a school as a janitor or something and seeing one of the students getting sucked into a life of crime and trying to help them avoid it but the kid is already in too deep to just walk away so it's up to Jesse to extricate them.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it. It was just an extended Breaking Bad episode, but when is that a bad thing. Jesse deserved his send off after all of the bullshit he endured.

Also RIP Robert Forster who unfortunately passed away from brain cancer yesterday.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Aaron Paul gets another shot at movies. I didn't watch Need for Speed, but it looks terrible. I will take him carrying a new BB series as well.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Vince will create a flashback show like BCS for Jesse. Would be a little harder though as everyone has aged so much. You could tell skinny pete really got 6 years older. Badger.... not so much.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was alright. Not something I feels really needed to exist, just a bit more BB giving Jesse some closure. Which, yeah, is alright.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Aaron Paul was on my flight from LA to NY this past Friday. Dude is back in shape and doesn't look a day over Breaking Bad season 1. He was greeting all the people walking by first class as we were boarding, having quick conversations and shaking hands. Really nice guy.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hopefully Aaron Paul gets another shot at movies. I didn't watch Need for Speed, but it looks terrible. I will take him carrying a new BB series as well.
Hes already made quite a name in tv, even outside of breaking bad, namely big love and the path but yeah, I have a feeling this is what scorcese is kind of talking about. When every movie is marvel, star wars, or live action disney...where does Aaron Paul fit?