• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Jesse get a happy ending?

• Yes

Votes: 231 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 248 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Finished it late last night. Honestly, really enjoyed it. I basically took it as a bonus jumbo episode of Breaking Bad to help fill out some backstory and answer some questions. Production value was high, shots were beautiful and everything worked for me.

Going to just spoiler my thoughts below in case someone hasn't seen it:

I felt engaged for the entire viewing, loved the return of Ed and other key characters and really appreciated the fact that a new "Big Bad" didn't come up. My only real criticism is that the Todd stuff took me out of the atmosphere very briefly, but honestly after the initial shock wore off it was really easy to just roll with it. People age, things change - that's life and it honestly didn't impact the movie at all. I also did not pick up on the cops at all during that entire scene until they literally said it, which I can't believe I missed.

It was really nice to be back in that setting for even a brief period. And I'm super hyped for more BCS!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he killed the nazis and went out if the way to blow up their house

He didn't want to kill them, he just wanted the $1800 and he wouldn't have killed anyone if they just gave him the cash but he had to get that money. He let the other three guys go and blowing the place up would have been to buy time from the cops, he was just covering his tracks as best he could.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't want to kill them, he just wanted the $1800 and he wouldn't have killed anyone if they just gave him the cash but he had to get that money. He let the other three guys go and blowing the place up would have been to buy time from the cops, he was just covering his tracks as best he could.
He came prepared to kill them. I believe he was pretty driven by revenge in that sequence. He wouldn't have had it in him to hurt them at all otherwise.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He came prepared to kill them. I believe he was pretty driven by revenge in that sequence. He wouldn't have had it in him to hurt them at all otherwise.

I think he would have killed the main guy but only if he had too, which he did, the other dude was shooting at him so he was firing back. He was desperate for the money, desperate times and all that.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i liked how it didn't really fuss itself over being "Breaking Bad: The Movie" which like 10 or so years ago is probably the only way this would be made - like a 'bigger, badder' 2 hr episode of BB or something.

everything is just really subdued, tight and focused on Jessie's epilogue. i liked how it cribs from the somber "we're all fucked at this point" tone of the final season, which before you had to extrapolate how harrowing it was for him as his captivity with the nazis didn't get a lot of screen time. really interesting to get a look into that really bleak chapter (well for me anyway)

guess i could see why a lot of people were like "huh, that's it?" but i thought it was done near perfectly

also not just fat damon almost all the actors looked different and it was distracting (i think timeline wise this movie still takes place in the late '00s or thereabouts?) but no biggie unless you're watching it directly after BB

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
To say that Jesse didn't get his comeuppance is one of the strangest things I've ever read.

The show literally states this from the character's own mouth in the first couple of seasons. Since he decides to team with Walter, he loses his girlfriend(s), his family, and his only shot at a normal life.

Just because Jesse isn't dead doesn't mean things are great for him. He suffers throughout this entire series, and just because he is sympathetic doesn't mean the series gives him a pot of gold. He comes off as sympathetic next to Walt, who realizes his own role in this and spares him despite his complicity, not because of it.

Jesse Pinkman is a complex character. He is intelligent and aware of the emotional ramifications of his actions, but also very trusting. He doesn't set out to hurt anyone but wants for a connection so badly that he allies himself with people who hurt others. Still, Jesse never brands himself as innocent, just broken.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
@everyone saying this is "unnecessary" or similar comments... Don't. That is 100% of the time the worst and laziest criticism you can give anything. If you didn't like it, find something else to say. No entertainment media is "necessary".

El Camino tells a complete story from beginning to end about a guy suffering from PTSD, on the run, and trying to get away with his life. That story doesn't rely on any other story. Does having watched Breaking Bad and knowing these character's prior histories help that? Absolutely. Is it necessary to enjoy this? I'd actually say it is not.

All that being said, I thought this movie was great. It never had to reach the highs of its predecessor. It just had to be a good epilogue, and it was. It is expertly directed and written. And Aaron Paul really just acts the hell out of it.

Personally, I find this to be a more satisfying place to leave the Breaking Bad story/better "final episode" than "Felina" as well (which, along with "Granite State", already felt like an epilogue following "Ozymandias".)

I loved it, and I'll continue to watch anything Vince Gilligan does with this little universe. It's all of such a consistent and gripping quality.

The "unnecessary" part is understandable. It relates to the aspect if there's a story that needs to be told or not, or that adds something to the overall themes and narrative of the show.

I liked this, but mostly because seeing all these characters and world again was nice. However, as it's been pointed out, if this was the actual finale of Breaking Bad you wouldn't see it with the best eyes. It's bland, and kind of aimless.

There were great moments, and some great acting, but it's more of a bonus than something really necessary for the whole story.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's not like they undermined the show or anything. Jesse didn't go marry Skylar or dig up Hank.

They really had it both ways. You can take this or leave it, which is what an epilogue does.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah he's pretty much a shell of a person by the last season/this film. the "Yo, bitch!" lovable scab Pinkman is effectively dead, and i wouldn't go as far as to call it a redemption arc but the person he is coming out of it isn't the same one who got himself into it. maybe brass tacks in spite of that he still deserves to rot in jail/die horribly but imo he served his penance.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I want to watch this but for the life of me I can't really remember how Breaking Bad ended. It's so weird, it was one of the best seasons I thought, but outside of a pizza on the roof and poor Ehrmantrout it's all a blur. Does anyone know a good short recap?

Edit: pizza is not even the final season jeez

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch this but for the life of me I can't really remember how Breaking Bad ended. It's so weird, it was one of the best seasons I thought, but outside of a pizza on the roof and poor Ehrmantrout it's all a blur. Does anyone know a good short recap?

They have a recap before you start the movie on netflix.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It was fine? I didn't hate it or anything. It probably would have been more impactful for me if this had come out a year or so later after the show ended.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the Skinny Pete/Badger scenes were much better than their presence in Felina.

Really wonderful and touching.

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed it. Gilligan is awesome, and I always just get sucked right into his worlds. Sure, it woulda been nice if this hit a year or two after the show ended, but it still works.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Loved it.

vbq92V2.gif
I needed you to share in my pain.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it. I wouldn't call it a movie, but an epilogue to breaking bad. El Camino corrected my one issue with Breaking Bad and it's....

Jessie's arc. I hate how his character arc in Season Four and Five was completely reversed once Mike died. Season 4 Jessie was the best Jessie, and I'm glad to see El Camino course corrected that. Everything Jessie did, from his clothes to his look, and his journey, was very Season 4 Mike-Mentor Jessie. Glad to see Jessie finally grow to his full potential in the end.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I watched this last night, and it was about as "meh" as it gets. It felt like a 2 hour filler episode. There literally was no point to this, story-wise, as it didn't move anything along in a meaningful way. IMO, it felt like there weren't really any highs and lows. The story arc was just kind of flat.

I would have at least liked a few minutes in the end to show what Jesse was doing in his new life. Show him working the register at a mall town store, or maybe living off the grid or something.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I watched this last night, and it was about as "meh" as it gets. It felt like a 2 hour filler episode. There literally was no point to this, story-wise, as it didn't move anything along in a meaningful way. IMO, it felt like there weren't really any highs and lows. The story arc was just kind of flat.

I would have at least liked a few minutes in the end to show what Jesse was doing in his new life. Show him working the register at a mall town store, or maybe living off the grid or something.
I like to think he wound up going to college, but the final shot is pretty telling: the world can be whatever he wants.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This felt entirely unnecessary but was nevertheless a wonderful epilogue to the series. A slow burner but the tension and Aaron Paul's performance made it a worthwhile watch.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking more about it, I am even more happy this got made.

Jesse was pretty much ignored in the last episode, so to see how he was dealing with being imprisoned in a cage and tortured by the nazis, is great. It was a really good movie and not useless. The last episode of Breaking Bad gave us a definite end to Walter White but Jesse didn't get closure even though he was the second protagonist.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

Jesse was pretty much ignored in the last episode, so to see how he was dealing with being imprisoned in a cage and tortured by the nazis, is great. It was a really good movie and not useless. The last episode of Breaking Bad gave us a definite end to Walter White but Jesse didn't get closure even though he was the second protagonist.

I agree especially after seeing this.

As someone earlier in this thread said, Ozymandias was the ending of Breaking Bad, Granite State and Felina were Walt's epilogue, and El Camino is Jesse's.

it's a great send-off.

And I love that Better Call Saul will ultimately serve as Saul's epilogue.

Jesse Plemons as Todd was fantastic as well. He really made Todd even more creepier and scary than he already was.

Last edited:

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I would expect from Jesse Pinkman DLC. It's funny how the Walt/Mike scene still made my blood boil in the recap lol

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This and the Deadwood movie were just about perfect.

They do a great job of revisiting the characters and bringing some closure.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I still have one question:

Is it implied people didn't really remember Walter White/Heisenberg? Like, long term I mean. And did Jesse become as infamous as him or not? If so, wouldn't he have to eventually get caught? How could he live in anonymity assuming he was as well known as Walter White?

Also, do you think what Jesse did in the end get out there or did those guys keep quiet entirely?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I agree especially after seeing this.

As someone earlier in this thread said, Ozymandias was the ending of Breaking Bad, Granite State and Felina were Walt's epilogue, and El Camino is Jesse's.

it's a great send-off.

And I love that Better Call Saul will ultimately serve as Saul's epilogue.

Jesse Plemons as Todd was fantastic as well. He really made Todd even more creepier and scary than he already was.
Yeah, that's a really good way of putting it.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

I read an interview with Vince Gilligan where he basically talked about how he fucked up not giving Jesse a proper ending, and that he had this idea brewing since the finale, basically eating at him until it could be made.

I loved this. What a great way to revisit the series and send off the best character. I'm so happy this got made

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed this. They did right by Jesse, as he became the heart of the show and was sort of fucked over that final half season. Liked how low key it was but the brief bits of action were Breaking Bad perfection.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I still have one question:

Is it implied people didn't really remember Walter White/Heisenberg? Like, long term I mean. And did Jesse become as infamous as him or not? If so, wouldn't he have to eventually get caught? How could he live in anonymity assuming he was as well known as Walter White?

Also, do you think what Jesse did in the end get out there or did those guys keep quiet entirely?

movie seemed to go out of its way to avoid shedding any light on WW/Heisenberg's "fate"... i took it they were leaving a door open for another movie (no idea where they could go with that, but whatever)

my takeaway is Pinkman was notorious in the Fed/underground circuit, public at large didn't really know about him as anything but a bit player at most (been awhile since i watched the show, could be completely wrong about this). and i could be misremembering but i don't think it's completely clear to the feds/public that Jesse was the one captive in naziville

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
It was good and I enjoyed it but I agree it didn't really add anything interesting to the story. But I already haven't been very happy with the last season in that regard.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
movie seemed to go out of its way to avoid shedding any light on WW/Heisenberg's "fate"... i took it they were leaving a door open for another movie (no idea where they could go with that, but whatever)

my takeaway is Pinkman was notorious in the Fed/underground circuit, public at large didn't really know about him as anything but a bit player at most (been awhile since i watched the show, could be completely wrong about this). and i could be misremembering but i don't think it's completely clear to the feds/public that Jesse was the one captive and naziville

That news report that Joe was watching said he was Walter White's partner and that he was probably kept in captivity though. Joe also says "who doesn't know who Jesse Pinkman is?".

Skinny Pete and Badger were also watching the news and it's implied Jesse was all over it.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

my takeaway is Pinkman was notorious in the Fed/underground circuit, public at large didn't really know about him as anything but a bit player at most (been awhile since i watched the show, could be completely wrong about this). and i could be misremembering but i don't think it's completely clear to the feds/public that Jesse was the one captive in naziville
The news report clearly said he was dead and died at the scene

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The news report clearly said he was dead and died at the scene

That news report that Joe was watching said he was Walter White's partner and that he was probably kept in captivity though. Joe also says "who doesn't know who Jesse Pinkman is?".

Skinny Pete and Badger were also watching the news and it's implied Jesse was all over it.

oh okay. i wasn't particularly sober when i watched this last night hehe

anyway i think it's implied being stranded in Alaska with the The Cleaner's worksmanship Jesse's pretty much home free. though in "real life" yeah he'd be fucked unless he relocated to Laos or something

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I loved the length. It somehow felt much longer than 2 hours to me in the best way possible. I was enthralled from start to finish.

Felt like one great big Breaking Bad episode with Jesse as the focus.

It had so much Breaking Bad style in it, from cinematography to music, to all the little twists and turns.

I want more from Vince Gilligan but I'm not even sure what else there is for him to do in this universe now.

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the length. It somehow felt much longer than 2 hours to me in the best way possible. I was enthralled from start to finish.

Felt like one great big Breaking Bad episode with Jesse as the focus.

It had so much Breaking Bad style in it, from cinematography to music, to all the little twists and turns.

I want more from Vince Gilligan but I'm not even sure what else there is for him to do in this universe now.

Couldn't agree more.
I would love to see him in charge of a Departed-like drama series.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Man that Todd actor really got fat! Just compare him to the last season.

he was in the final running to be Finn in star wars. i have to wonder if that didn't hit him hard when it fell through and he kinda didn't care anymore

but on the other hand most everybody gets older and fatter so, it happens

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I like to think he wound up going to college, but the final shot is pretty telling: the world can be whatever he wants.
I highly doubt he's attending college in the middle of nowhere in Alaska. Regardless, I hate endings like this. I want to know what he's doing now that he's in Alaska. I hate ending where it's just like, yeah he's free now and just out there somewhere. Fuck that. If you're going to give us this movie, I want to know what he ended up doing. They could have done something cool like he's in a cabin living off the land or something.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I gotta mention one thing I wish I saw happen. I think it woulda made sense and given a little added closure and reflection.

The blue meth shoulda made an appearance and Jesse destroying a whole stash of it woulda been great to see. Like, the Kandy guys should have had a bunch of it and Jesse would see it and destroy it along with the whole place he blew up.

Aaron Paul really acts with soul. The dude is just always there, it's awesome to see. His reactions to so many little moments are amazing. His reaction to the news report in the car, Skinny Pete's farewell, after the shootout, it was just all so good.

Nov 14, 2017
To say that Jesse didn't get his comeuppance is one of the strangest things I've ever read.

The show literally states this from the character's own mouth in the first couple of seasons. Since he decides to team with Walter, he loses his girlfriend(s), his family, and his only shot at a normal life.

Just because Jesse isn't dead doesn't mean things are great for him. He suffers throughout this entire series, and just because he is sympathetic doesn't mean the series gives him a pot of gold. He comes off as sympathetic next to Walt, who realizes his own role in this and spares him despite his complicity, not because of it.

Jesse Pinkman is a complex character. He is intelligent and aware of the emotional ramifications of his actions, but also very trusting. He doesn't set out to hurt anyone but wants for a connection so badly that he allies himself with people who hurt others. Still, Jesse never brands himself as innocent, just broken.
Yeah I don't understand that argument at all.
And also, he was having PTSD all throughout the movie from the time he was in a cage and getting tortured, he'll probably have that through the rest of his life and have no one to talk to about it.

He's not innocent but he suffered more than enough. It's a good ending, glad the movie was made and I saw it.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, it was decent but not really necessary. I knew I wasn't going crazy when Todd looked like he got fat compared to when he was in Breaking Bad. The only scene I didn't like was when...

...the dude unloaded a whole clip at Jessie and missed every bullet at him. Dude has got NA aim.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, it was decent but not really necessary. I knew I wasn't going crazy when Todd looked like he got fat compared to when he was in Breaking Bad. The only scene I didn't like was when...

...the dude unloaded a whole clip at Jessie and missed every bullet at him. Dude has got NA aim.

If anything,
Jesse shooting the guy from the hip inside his pocket was the more unrealistic thing there. The second guy and Jesse going back and forth like that and missing shots until Jesse got lucky was fine. Handguns are hard to aim

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I watched this last night and wow...absolutely perfect coda to Breaking Bad...the writing, dialogue, music and cinematography were all first rate...I was worried that Vince Gilligan was hanging on to Breaking Bad a bit too long and wanted him to move on to other stories but this was such a great way to end Jesse's story...so many surprising and cool cameos...an absolute must watch for any Breaking Bad fan

the Dolby Vision quality was simply stunning...reference quality in almost every scene...might be the best looking implementation of DV yet for a streaming show...everything was so detailed and the HDR added so much pop to every scene...I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this was filmed with 6K or 8K cameras, it looked that good

Oct 27, 2017

That part is pretty realistic though. Him aiming a short-barreled small revolver from his jacket pocket and hitting every round was actually far less likely. Hitting anything with a handgun is actually very difficult, much less a moving target so their exchange of gunfire felt real. Plus the other guy didn't really seem to be a criminal, at least not in the sense of the Aryan gang. In fact neither of those welding guys really struck me as anything other than opportunists, certainly they weren't hardened criminals. I'm not sure if they were directly stated to be part of the Nazis or if they were just really shady dudes that would do anything for money, and tried to capitalize on the aftermath of the situation.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I finished it. It was nice to have more BB, but I didn't like the ending. Before I get into why, yes Fat Damon is distracting. However, Jesse Plemons probably had zero prep time for the role. Vince made it sound like the whole thing from conception to shooting happened very quickly. So obviously he wouldn't have been able to slim down enough in time.

Why I didn't like it? It's the same reason BB's ending is just good and not revolutionary, except here I think it teters even further off from good.

BB's ending was too "neat." Walt was able to tie up every loose end, execute his plan perfectly, admit the reality of his actions to his wife, and then go out on his own terms. It's all just too clean and neat. You then compare it to something like The Wire's ending (yes, they are two different shows) and it's night and day. It's why many feel like Ozymandias is the true ending to BB, because the real finale dips too hard into fan fulfillment. It doesn't help speak to a larger theme, but just wraps things up expectedly. Again, it's not terrible. Nothing is wrong with how things ultimately play out, but it feels "wrong" on a thematic level. It doesn't try and push new ground, but go in for a nice safe landing.

El Camino is like that for Jesse, except for me it's even worse. To start, I've never been one to fall for the Jesse sympathy angle. Yes, by the end of the series he's suffered some truly heinous shit, but Jesse wasn't some child or a lost puppy. Jesse was a grown man who made every decision by himself. He straight up tells his parents in the finale that it wasn't their fault, they tried all they could. So, Jesse's choices biting him in the ass is fair comeuppance. There's a reason why Michael Corleone ends The Godfather trilogy a lonely old man, loved by no one, who dies alone. Scorsese always glamorizes the gangster lifestyle before bringing all his characters low, you can't play the game and come out on top, eventually there is a reckoning.

In El Camino, Jesse is able to tie up all his loose ends, say goodbye to his friends, say goodbye to his parents, and screw off to a new life in Alaska. However, this isn't truly punishment in the Henry Hill type where he resents being turned into a regular nobody, Jesse desires a nice and quiet life. And, he's got plenty of illicit drug money to last him in his new lifestyle. But again, while what Jesse suffered at the hands of Todd and Co. was terrible, Jesse was still ultimately a mega drug dealer and murderer. He killed people. He sold meth in massive quantities. He lied. He cheated. He stole. And innocent bystanders, people he supposedly cared for, suffered because of his actions. Brock will forever grow up without a mom because of Jesse. What's his consolation? A nice letter?

Jesse needed to actually face the consequences of his actions, at the very least Walt died in the end. Yet, Jesse by the end gets a clean slate. The emotional scars remain, but that's personal it has nothing to do with society's right to judge his actions. People are dead because of Jesse. Meth flooded into the streets. Yet, he gets to live a nice and quiet life in Alaska? That's just okay? To me it just feels wrong.

Near the middle of the film, I thought what was going to happen is that we'd see Jesse finally "Break Bad" and then face the consequences of that choice in the end. By "break bad," I mean commit wrongful acts, such as murdering a cop to get away, without being able to justify his actions by saying Walt made him do it. Jesse was all alone now, the spectre of Walt removed as a convenient blame for any and all his actions. I was hoping Jesse would not have to finally take responsibility for his actions from that point forward. But, the film isn't really geared towards that. Instead, it's more concerned with giving Jesse a nice, safe landing and a pleasant ending.

And, that is why I can't respect it.
it's almost like you missed the year he spent being held captive by a gang of white nationalists. what more comeuppance does a guy need? The man is isolated, cut off from anyone or any place he's ever known. He doesn't have to die or be put in shackles for him to get a "deserved" ending. This one is more subtle and uneasier, Alaska's not some promised land, it's a place where he's likely going to live in isolation until lung cancer gets him.