• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Jesse get a happy ending?

• Yes

Votes: 231 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 248 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RIP Robert Forster

Also man I love that six years later they somehow retroactively made Todd even more of a vile piece of shit. Jesse Plemons does such a good job of playing this type of character. He was so good in that Black Mirror episode too.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Overweight Meth Damon really took me out of it but the rest was great.

If they were in New Mexico with Brian and Aaron with the BCS crew I'm pretty sure they filmed something for BCS

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. A couple of the fan service moments were a little too heavy handed, but ultimately it was a well executed farewell Jesse and some of the other cast of the show.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like it, I'm not a fan of these "farewell" things, it's not enough for me.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was pretty great, especially since I didn't know how to feel about there being a direct follow up to the finale of the show. I quite liked Jesse's ending in the show of ambiguous, emotional fleeing into the sunset, but this was still really good and I think more than justified its existence with how much color and depth it added to several of the characters and periods from the show.

I thought this added some nice additional depth to characters like Todd, and the whole Nazi/Jesse in captivity storyline in general as I thought that those aspects of the final run of the show were some of the more rushed & lacking moments. To give more insight to some of those characters and time periods was pretty cool for me.

I really loved the Walt flashback too. Their relationship dynamic was captured pretty well I thought, and I loved Walt wearing his mask only to let it slip there at the end, revealing a true feeling of his.

Is this the first actual face-to-face pistol draw in the Breaking Bad story? If so, I think it's pretty interesting that it happens in this with Jesse of all characters in the way that it does. Since Breaking Bad is considered a neo-Western by some, I think its interesting that its first head to head duel happens in this 'bonus epilogue' film in a manner that isn't really relevant to the plot of Breaking Bad, is relatively low-key and involves people who aren't relevant to the broader show's story, outside of Jesse of course.

It's definitely something that I think will need rewatching, just like the show.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Bryan Cranston was wearing a bald cap wasn't he? That took me out more than any weight gain.

Both Walter and Jessica Jones had some very good final lines. Pleased to have a proper ending for Jessie.

I enjoyed the film.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
It was a solid 7/10 film. Not Great, not bad. It was just good. I'm not sure what I expected from a Breaking Bad film after all this time. I probably wanted more, but I'm glad they went the safer route in a way rather than try to recapture the same scale of drama. The landscape shots and interior shots were wonderful, of course.

Last edited:

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
That was an exhilarating experience!!! I loved it. I need to rewatch BB for a 4th time after this lol. The ending was definitely bittersweet for me

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I enjoyed this. Some beautiful cinematography and it's nice to see what happened with Jessie as we were just left to speculate.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Clicking back into the topic blind, and after some early discussion I want to ask:

Is there anything I'm gonna miss by not having seen all of BCS? I'm most of the first season in but I'm just really looking out for future winks and nods.

All I want is responses saying either "Nah, you're good!" or "Hmm, well, maybe, hmm..." and if it's the latter I'll watch the rest of BCS before this.

OP
OP
Aurc

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
To those not yet aware, it is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Robert Forster. I just found out myself a few minutes ago, and I'm truly shocked. Mr. Forster was undoubtedly one of the best parts of Jackie Brown in his role as Max Cherry, and was highly regarded as one of the most interesting, cool, talked about side characters on Breaking Bad, playing the role of Ed the Disappearer. May he rest in peace.

robert-forster.jpg

Last edited:

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
I absolutely enjoyed it for what it was but I was disappointed there wasn't more to it.. You sure as hell had no revenge plot in it, except having a person very loosely tied, I guess? Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, but it mostly made me want Gilligan as a director for unrelated future crime films. Glad it was better than Glen Morgans Willard, which wasn't exactly an exceptional standard, I guess?

Hit me with Ben the rat memes, please.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the symbolic nature they put into it with cages and the guy basically calling Jesse a rat in a cage/maze. etc. I didn't really keep up with this movie, just saw the trailer once a while back, so I guess they have pretty much said the storyline is done?

Felt like I got a good end to the universe. If this happened closer to the end of the series, would have felt different, I think this dropped at the right time.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This movie was correctly marketed as a Breaking Bad story, rather than a Breaking Bad movie.

The story is over, but it gives an untold slice of that universe and adds some much needed closure for one character in particular.

The finale of Breaking Bad was great but also kind of rushed where this felt like a chance to ruminate on the proceedings.

I would have been disappointed if they had started the movie by trying to recreate the key circumstances from the show, because those circumstances are done. I also HATE it when shows recontextualize their final moments for drama's sake.

Aging/weight gaining aside which can't be helped, this felt right when and where it needed to be after Jesse's escape.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed it, was thrilled to get something new from the BB universe.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who took longer than they should
to fully recognise and accept that the leader "fake cop" and the Kandy Welding guy were the same person? He looks and acts a lot differently, like two brothers that grew up in different homes. Jesse wasn't in captivity that long for him to switch up like that. Yes I saw the truck but still, if someone had to pick that guy out of a lineup after he shaved up I wouldn't blame them if they missed him.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really well done. Like, perfect for what it was. Wasn't needed, but more than welcome. I appreciate them fleshing out some of the characters. One of those great epilogues that after the entire season would be perfect on a rewatch.

To those not yet aware, it is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Robert Forster. I just found out myself a few minutes ago, and I'm truly shocked. Mr. Forster was undoubtedly one of the best parts of Jackie Brown in his role as Max Cherry, and was highly regarded as one of most interesting, cool, talked about side characters on Breaking Bad, playing the role of Ed the Disappearer. May he rest in peace.

robert-forster.jpg

Holy shit. Right before the premiere. Edit: or wait....ON the premiere. man..

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I love how they treated Jesse like he's a teen in some flashbacks and the actor is 40. Jesus lol

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. I just wanted Jesse to be happy, in some way. Forster was great as well. It was a well done story of the BrBa universe. The Walt scene had me in my feels. Now I need more better call Saul

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it. Fat Meth Damon was hilariously distracting because of the ways they tried to hide the fact he was 100 pounds heavier. Still liked it, but I'm bias. Objectively, fuck all happened and it was just jesse being tortured for another 100 minutes and then riding off into the sunset.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't realize how nostalgic I'd be for the BB universe. Love all those characters. Really enjoyed it.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Probably already posted, but I never saw it, looks like it was timed with the stream startup time last night.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This was a solid revisit to these characters and a satisfying way to send off Jesse, if not entirely necessary. It recaptured a lot of the Breaking Bad vibes, but felt more like a bonus episode than a cinematic conclusion--which I think is fine. The overhead shot of Jesse searching the apartment is one of the all-time great BB creative camerawork pieces.

Todd's weight gain, Jesse's aging, and Walt's unnatural looking bald cap were noticeable, but not detrimental.

I'm wondering if the "A Breaking Bad Movie" moniker is something they're thinking about leaving open for more stories. I could see a few interesting possibilities. Skyler, Marie, and Flynn could make for some compelling drama post-Felina.

Overall, this was a worthwhile venture.

Edit: Also, while Jesse was searching the apartment for the money, I was saying to myself. "It's in the El Camino." "Obviously, it's in the El Camino." "Jesse's going to have to break into an impound lot and get into the El Camino." "Why else would this movie be called El Camino?" But then the El Camino never came back, so shows what I know.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just completed it and I really enjoyed it. I got one minor nitpick but it wasn't necessarily a story breaker for me.

At the end of the original series, it's made a big deal that Ed the Cleaner wouldn't be able to give Walt a new identity given all the massive widespread news coverage of him. So Walt's only option was to hide out in that cabin. You'd think the same thing would apply to Jesse since he's now also all over the national news.

Then making his whole saga with Walter a year was a big mistake imo.
always felt longer than that

Technically the entirety of Breaking Bad takes place over the course of 2 years.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it. It was nice to have more BB, but I didn't like the ending. Before I get into why, yes Fat Damon is distracting. However, Jesse Plemons probably had zero prep time for the role. Vince made it sound like the whole thing from conception to shooting happened very quickly. So obviously he wouldn't have been able to slim down enough in time.

Why I didn't like it? It's the same reason BB's ending is just good and not revolutionary, except here I think it teters even further off from good.

BB's ending was too "neat." Walt was able to tie up every loose end, execute his plan perfectly, admit the reality of his actions to his wife, and then go out on his own terms. It's all just too clean and neat. You then compare it to something like The Wire's ending (yes, they are two different shows) and it's night and day. It's why many feel like Ozymandias is the true ending to BB, because the real finale dips too hard into fan fulfillment. It doesn't help speak to a larger theme, but just wraps things up expectedly. Again, it's not terrible. Nothing is wrong with how things ultimately play out, but it feels "wrong" on a thematic level. It doesn't try and push new ground, but go in for a nice safe landing.

El Camino is like that for Jesse, except for me it's even worse. To start, I've never been one to fall for the Jesse sympathy angle. Yes, by the end of the series he's suffered some truly heinous shit, but Jesse wasn't some child or a lost puppy. Jesse was a grown man who made every decision by himself. He straight up tells his parents in the finale that it wasn't their fault, they tried all they could. So, Jesse's choices biting him in the ass is fair comeuppance. There's a reason why Michael Corleone ends The Godfather trilogy a lonely old man, loved by no one, who dies alone. Scorsese always glamorizes the gangster lifestyle before bringing all his characters low, you can't play the game and come out on top, eventually there is a reckoning.

In El Camino, Jesse is able to tie up all his loose ends, say goodbye to his friends, say goodbye to his parents, and screw off to a new life in Alaska. However, this isn't truly punishment in the Henry Hill type where he resents being turned into a regular nobody, Jesse desires a nice and quiet life. And, he's got plenty of illicit drug money to last him in his new lifestyle. But again, while what Jesse suffered at the hands of Todd and Co. was terrible, Jesse was still ultimately a mega drug dealer and murderer. He killed people. He sold meth in massive quantities. He lied. He cheated. He stole. And innocent bystanders, people he supposedly cared for, suffered because of his actions. Brock will forever grow up without a mom because of Jesse. What's his consolation? A nice letter?

Jesse needed to actually face the consequences of his actions, at the very least Walt died in the end. Yet, Jesse by the end gets a clean slate. The emotional scars remain, but that's personal it has nothing to do with society's right to judge his actions. People are dead because of Jesse. Meth flooded into the streets. Yet, he gets to live a nice and quiet life in Alaska? That's just okay? To me it just feels wrong.

Near the middle of the film, I thought what was going to happen is that we'd see Jesse finally "Break Bad" and then face the consequences of that choice in the end. By "break bad," I mean commit wrongful acts, such as murdering a cop to get away, without being able to justify his actions by saying Walt made him do it. Jesse was all alone now, the spectre of Walt removed as a convenient blame for any and all his actions. I was hoping Jesse would not have to finally take responsibility for his actions from that point forward. But, the film isn't really geared towards that. Instead, it's more concerned with giving Jesse a nice, safe landing and a pleasant ending.

And, that is why I can't respect it.

Wow, really insightful post. Going into the movie I wasn't expecting Jesse's morality to be pushed or anything, but man now I wish it was.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only one who took longer than they should
to fully recognise and accept that the leader "fake cop" and the Kandy Welding guy were the same person? He looks and acts a lot differently, like two brothers that grew up in different homes. Jesse wasn't in captivity that long for him to switch up like that. Yes I saw the truck but still, if someone had to pick that guy out of a lineup after he shaved up I wouldn't blame them if they missed him.

He had to clean up to dress up like that, so it made sense.

Oct 27, 2017
RIP Robert Forster

Also man I love that six years later they somehow retroactively made Todd even more of a vile piece of shit. Jesse Plemons does such a good job of playing this type of character. He was so good in that Black Mirror episode too.

He plays such an opposite end of the spectrum character in Fargo. He's truly talented.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, some nice closure.

Seeing Walt and Jessie one more time was enchanting.

To those not yet aware, it is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Robert Forster. I just found out myself a few minutes ago, and I'm truly shocked. Mr. Forster was undoubtedly one of the best parts of Jackie Brown in his role as Max Cherry, and was highly regarded as one of most interesting, cool, talked about side characters on Breaking Bad, playing the role of Ed the Disappearer. May he rest in peace.

robert-forster.jpg

This breaks my heart.

Last edited:

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. It was a nice send off to Jesse and the other characters of the series. I do think that it's coming like six years after the show ended makes some part of it ring a bit hollow, but I still enjoyed it all the same.