• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The studio went from 500 devs back in 2018 to over 700 as of 2020 and they are working with Crystal Dynamics, Crystal Dynamics Northwest and Nixxes on Marvel's Avengers and Jason Schreier revealed years ago that they are also working on Guardians of The Galaxy.

700 devs are a lot and i don't think they all of them working on GOTG and Marvel's Avengers, could we possibly see a new IP? The return of Thief? Or maybe they can finish Adam Jensen story?

With 700 employees they are the biggest Square Enix studio by far and it's crazy to see them expending this much

Last edited:

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
700 won't just be dev staff, in all likelihood. Administration, etc.

Even then... TLOU2 had a total of 2000 people work on it at some point.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel is a money maker that can support 700 employees.

A new Deus Ex isn't going to sell Sony first party numbers.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
700 employees doesn't seem particularly noteworthy for a AAA developer in 2020...? Unless I'm missing something? Don't like a billion people work on Assassins Creed games every year?

They're supporting the launch of a AAA GaaS game while also working on their own thing so that number seems reasonable enough to me.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i hope the Gotg game has better models than the Avengers game

i don't need discount MCU knockoff versions

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right for two high profile AAA games tbh, didn't even know there was a GoTG game coming

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Deus Ex and Dishonored are dead. Publishers not likely to spend 100s of millions on these types of games for a third time after middling to disappointing sales.

Long live the immersive sim!

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If they're working on GotG and supporting Crystal on Avengers...that honestly doesn't sound like they'd have much capacity for much else. As much as I'd love to see Eidos Montreal working on Deus Ex or a new IP don't be surprised to learn that they really are just working on Square's Marvel projects.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Out of 700 upwards of 100 of them are probably non devs employees (HR, support, finance, management, testers). Even then 700 isn't really a big number for 2 AAA games let alone 3. Maybe if it was last gen.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
As it says in the OP tweet, that's a count for "Square-Enix studios in Montreal", not "Eidos Montreal". So what does that mean?

• Eidos Montreal (DXMD, Thief, SOTR, Avengers, etc.)
  • Square-Enix Montreal (Hitman Go, etc)
  • Eidos Sherbrooke (founded last year)
So no, it doesn't mean 700 people for one project. EM is by far the biggest part, and they expanded in 2019, but marvel is not the whole story I suspect.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's very possible they have a small team in pre-production on something else. Best case scenario would be Guardians 2022 and new project 2024.

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Given Square's massive expectations for that game, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a big number of Eidos Montreal devs on Avengerst. Like, more than you'd think.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
700 seems right for 2 AAA games.

I mean 343 had how many now working on Halo Infinite and the game had to be delayed? They were also in the 400-500 weren't they?

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Well when I was working for Eidos Montréal as a dev, they had 3 teams: one working on Deus Ex HR, one on Thief and one on Tomb Raider multiplayer. That doesn't mean that they still have 3 teams, but it's not impossible.

Oct 28, 2017
Not thar they are the same thing but I wouldn't even start thinking about Deus Ex in a pre release Cyberpunk 2077 world.