• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Huh, that's oddly low for a game with so much buzz behind it. Even Ghost of Tsushima sold 330,000 physical copies in 3 weeks according to a quick online search, beating out the previous record holder Spider-Man.

I don't know enough about the Japanese market to break things down. Maybe a lot of PS5's got shipped out of Japan? Maybe a lot of folks prefer to game on PC, in which case Sony's efforts on that front could bear fruit. Maybe folks there are more receptive to other delivery methods like mobile or cloud? Maybe they'd be receptive to a subscription service? Or maybe they're looking for other styles of games, in which case maybe Sony picking up more Japanese studios to bolster their output. I can only guess... I dunno if anyone out there has those answers.
It sold more on PS4 (343k, it's in the link I posted), but that won't keep selling games forever, the biggest issues it that the PS5 is not replacing the PS4, which keeps shrinking. That's why we can see entire weeks where the Switch sweeps the top 30/30, with no PS4 or PS5 game selling over 1,500 in those. I think FF can sell 300k or 350k in Japan once it's released, that'd be "fine" enough, but a far cry from previous entries. That is the issue Sony faces in Japan and that is doing nothing to fix and has done nothing to fix since it launched while the PS4 slowly wastes away. That's how we can know that, even if Sony cares for the AAA games they can get from Japan, they don't care much for it's market.

Jul 2, 2021
What? Haven has yet to even release a game. This Firesprite has mostly worked on Sony games. Nixxes...yeah, that is a bit of a bummer for the PC platform as they''ll only work for Sony ports from here on out.
That's my point. In the past they only bought studios who worked for them for over a decade on a few big projects.
Now they buy studios like Haven, Firesprite, Nixxes or Bungie. Times and strategies change.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
An acquisition like this wouldn't even be about Japan's console market.

It would be for I.P. Not just in games but anime or potential anime licenses as Sony expands their anime distribution and creation capabilities.

Then there is shows and movies that can be spun from said I.Ps like Final Fantasy. Toys, Merchandise. FF14's GAAS capabilities. Mobile AA games for PS Mobile. AA games for to fill the sub model. PC expansion plans, etc...

Tons of reason to acquire and grow Square Enix. Way more reasons then "Sony wants a footprint in Japan's console market".

Oct 30, 2017
1) Sure but even still I'm getting a lot of suspect vibes. Especially when people come out to defend Sony when others raise valid concerns about how this might affect their output. Just seems like a lot of you are batting for Sony and I think thats weird.

2)The best case scenario for a Sony buyout would be if Sony corp bought them and put all the different parts of SE in relevant parts of Sony and allowed the gaming side to remain parrallel to PlayStation thus keeping it third party. But still "best case scenario" isn't something I want to happen.

3)Frankly I remain highly sceptical of a Sony owned Square Enix. Maybe they will just let them do whatever but again, why would you want to risk it? Final Fantasy XVI looks like a typical AAA game to me, nothing to suggest Square Enix needs to be bought out by Sony to put out the quality of games people want from them.
They probably dont "need to be bought". Same with Bethesda. They've got typical looking AAA games as well. That doesn't mean that they aren't seeing additional stability within MS that they value.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
An acquisition like this wouldn't even be about Japan's console market.

It would be for I.P. Not just in games but anime or potential anime licenses as Sony expands their anime distribution and creation capabilities.

Then there is shows and movies that can be spun from said I.Ps like Final Fantasy. Toys, Merchandise. FF14's GAAS capabilities. Mobile AA games for PS Mobile. AA games for to fill the sub model. PC expansion plans, etc...

Tons of reason to acquire and grow Square Enix. Way more reasons then "Sony wants a footprint in Japan's console market".

Sony will literally own Fullmetal Alchemist which js a big deal.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Although I can never imagine Square Enix Tokyo ever even slightly abandoning Sony, you have to look at the amount of SE games on Game Pass and games coming to Xbox

You have to imagine there is a lot of money going from Xbox to SE and that would make Sony nervous

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If anything if there is some truth to this then it wouldn't be only SIE but Sony Music and Sony Pictures eyeing them as well and likely restructuring some non gaming things under their divisions.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like an obvious move for Sony. No idea why Sony wouldn't want Eidos too though. Having Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain under thier wing sounds like it would have been an amazing get.
Cause it wouldn't have been just the IPs but the huge amount of overhead from getting Eidos (people + infrastructure). Sony might not want all that. It could also be because Sony would rather deal with the Japan studios side of things and not Western studios (since it has those already). Then also Sony might not see value in those IPs.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Cause it wouldn't have been just the IPs but the huge amount of overhead from getting Eidos (people + infrastructure). Sony might not want all that. It could also be because Sony would rather deal with the Japan studios side of things and not Western studios (since it has those already). Then also Sony might not see value in those IPs.
Also if post Square (if that even happens) Sony wants to acquire another pub like Capcom, would it be easier if Sony had not only Square Japan but also Square's western studios?

I don't think so, it leaves space for growth if you just go for what you want specifically.

Oct 1, 2019
Of course they're interested, like many other companies, I'm sure. SquareEnix has numerous successful IPs. But would Sony do it? I'd say not in the foreseeable future. Bungie just blew a 3.7 billion hole out of their acquisition funds.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
If anything if there is some truth to this then it wouldn't be only SIE but Sony Music and Sony Pictures eyeing them as well and likely restructuring some non gaming things under their divisions.

For sure. Square would be extremely useful across all their divisions. It would further increase their stranglehold on anime as well. So yes, if this was to happen, it wouldn't be just from a game perspective but everything, which is why one of the reasons why I think it is likely. Sony as a whole is more likely to fork over billions upon billions of dollars if it benefits multiple divisions.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix stopped reporting HD games division stuff separately from digital entertainment (we used to get detailed breakdowns) because things were looking bad for them. But the implication of looking at the above statistics is that actually, over the period of time where they still gave us detailed info, the Eidos component of the company was roughly in line with trends in their HD Games division in general, which includes everything from Octopath to Final Fantasy to Kingdom Hearts compilation games. They had specific noteworthy successes but these were offset by other games being money-losers, eventually evening out to a modest yearly profit that was out of line with how much they were investing.

As far as I can tell, the notion of Eidos being the sole black spot on their financials seems unfounded.

Actually they still do report the breakdown for Digital Entertainment, into HD games, MMO and Mobile games. At least back in Feb 2022.

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/22q3outline.pdf

www.gamesindustry.biz

Square Enix raises forecasts thanks to increased MMO revenues

At a glance:In its latest financial results, Square Enix has reported increases in sales across all divisions, with par…

Unless you are talking about even more detailed breakdowns?

Nov 8, 2017
Actually they still do report the breakdown for Digital Entertainment, into HD games, MMO and Mobile games. At least back in Feb 2022.

Unless you are talking about even more detailed breakdowns?

Well you're right it is there in the last few, I remember reading one of the reports a year or two ago where they didn't separate it out anymore. Not sure if that was a one off or a different document or if they brought it back.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Well you're right it is there in the last few, I remember reading one of the reports a year or two ago where they didn't separate it out anymore. Not sure if that was a one off or a different document or if they brought it back.

They might have brought it back. Or that they don't always present the data separately in every report.

Nov 8, 2017
They might have brought it back. Or that they don't always present the data separately in every report.

Oh wait I figured it out!

They used to give charts like this:

screenshot2022-07-271loj1i.jpg

Where they showed not just total revenue for HD Games (which they didn't stop showing) but they also separated operating income for HD games. Since about 2020 (I forget which quarter was the final detailed one) they only show the operating income / net income for the combined Digital Entertainment segment as a whole (which includes MMOs and mobile and other).

So you now see revenue for HD games, but not profits. You used to get both.

The terms can be confusing so I hope that's not too hard to follow what I mean.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
What is it about Square that makes people post the most verifiably wrong shit lol? We saw their financials. Their western unit was a money sink going nowhere. Elsewhere, they were doing extremely well.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Platform Warring
This would be bad news for all gamers as games would be tied to Sony consoles. At least when Microsoft buys them we still get PC games.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
This would be bad news for all gamers as games would be tied to Sony consoles. At least when Microsoft buys them we still get PC games.
There's no reason to believe Sony will limit SE games on only PS hardware. Everything Sony's done these past few years says the opposite, in fact. Sony wants to increase their revenue streams, not limit it. At worst, I can see a 1-2 year console exclusive period for big AAA titles like Final Fantasy before it gets a PC release.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
There's no reason to believe Sony will limit SE games on only PS hardware. Everything Sony's done these past few years says the opposite, in fact. Sony wants to increase their revenue streams, not limit it. At worst, I can see a 1-2 year console exclusive period for big AAA titles like Final Fantasy before it gets a PC release.

Why would Sony want to release a DQ or FF game on a Nintendo system since they'll be giving more hardware and software sales to there competition. Sony would rather see console sales on there systems tie into JRPGs than Nintendo or MS. PC's, would be the only avenue that Sony would tolerate more sales

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Why would Sony want to release a DQ or FF game on a Nintendo system since they'll be giving more hardware and software sales to there competition. Sony would rather see console sales on there systems tie into JRPGs than Nintendo or MS. PC's, would be the only avenue that Sony would tolerate more sales
Look at which country and system Dragon Quest sells the most at.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'd would hilarious if Sony Music bought them and just kept them at arms length from SIE like they do with their side of gaming😅

Why do people keep saying this when Sony has and will put their best selling exclusives on PC? What reason could they have to not do the same with SE's games? I mean they even have Nixxes who used to port SE games.

Last edited:

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017

mlb-the-show-22-1.jpg_1849050693.jpg

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Look at which country and system Dragon Quest sells the most at.

They aren't buying a publisher to continue releasing games on Nintendo hardware. People are crazy for thinking that. This reminds me of the exact arguments people had for like Elder Scrolls. "Oh Skyrim is on everything and sells well everywhere, so Elder Scrolls 6 will be the same." Nah, if this is true, Dragon Quest will only be on playstation and PC, it is all but a guarantee. Sony isn't spending that mch money just because, they want to consolidate their position and build on what they have with their ecosystem.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I was talking about AAA SE releases like FF16 in that post. Those games are games SE hadn't released on Nintendo hardware for a long while. That's not likely to change whether Sony buys SE or not. My point is, I think Sony, if they buy SE, will have every intention of releasing AAA SE games on the PC. So I don't understand why some think Sony will do a complete 180 on their business strategy in regards to SE. Seems to just be fearmongering.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair they were technically "forced" to do it by MLB BUT this does mean that they don't have an actual problem with allowing their exclusives to be made for other platforms on a case-by-case basis. If push came to shove, I could see SIE playing ball with DQ on the Switch among other titles. At the end of the day, all the money goes to Sony 🤷‍♂️

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why do people keep saying this when Sony has and will put their best selling exclusives on PC? What reason could they have to not do the same with SE's games?
Exactly. Everything Sony's done these past few years tells us they're embracing the PC platform more and more. I mean, they bought a whole development house, Nixxes, just to work on porting their titles to the PC!!! There's no reason to believe this won't continue if Sony buys SE.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
To be fair they were technically "forced" to do it by MLB BUT this does means that they don't have an actual problem with allowing their exclusives to be made for other platforms on case by case basis. If push came to shove I could see SIE playing ball with DQ on the Switch among other titles. At the end of the day, all the money goes to Sony 🤷‍♂️

You could say that about any game though. I am sure if Sony released God of War on xbox it would go buck wild sales wise. There is a number of reasons sony will be buying Square, but one of them will be to increase their presence in Japan but not only that, increase the overall perception of Japanese games worldwide. It doesn't really help them long term to continue releasing software on Switch. Dragon Quest is hugely popular in Japan; even if only say a third of fans got a playstation to play it, that is a huge surge in Japan.

I really think people are being overly optimistic about it. Which is fine. But there is nothing in Sonys history to suggest that they will give two shits about keeping it exclusive.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Everything Sony's done these past few years tells us they're embracing the PC platform more and more. I mean, they bought a whole development house, Nixxes, just to work on porting their titles to the PC!!! There's no reason to believe this won't continue if Sony buys SE.

Are there big Sony exclusives not on PC right now? What are the next big 3 to release and what date are they releasing on PC?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

store.steampowered.com

Steam Publisher: PlayStation Studios™

PlayStation Studios is home to the development of Sony Interactive Entertainment’s own outstanding and immersive games, including some of the most popular and critically acclaimed titles in entertainment history.

Also Bungie, but hey, why not just keep ignoring things

Chippewa Barr