• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
90% of complaining towards EGS comes to the fact that they are owned by Tencent.
Being braziliann I really don't care if the software spying on me is American or Chinese, so I'm good with them.
Nah, I really didn't even remember that Tencent was involved with Epic. Tencent isn't something I usually think about, they're pretty irrelevant in my life. My complaints about Epic have been entirely something else. Though I either don't differentiate between US or Chinese spying.

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This. Its a way for controlling ppl like me where i buy cheap cd keys and sell them at 6 times the price in my country and make a shit ton of money.
It's a way to control "people " that buy 100, 1000, 10000 cheap keys using other people's money and then sell them for profit.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
... Did you want to make an excellent argument for scrapping keys? Because that's what you just did.
While he did eloquently describe the issue to an extent, this isn't really what these measures aim to mitigate. None of the big players are really that concerned with arbitrage (to a point of course). It's the organised abuse that causes the real problems.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think you are confusing keyless sale with "we are banning resellers"
Keyless resale simply facilitates the selling of keys in the same fashion, via resellers, but without the redemption component.
I'm sure you'll find that the publishers will set lower limits on the prices keyless games can be sold. Trading in keys vs direct activation from authorized resellers means that stores can sell them at whatever price they want, since they have already been paid for in bulk.
It also gives publishers the power to pull games from sale immediately and prevent them from activating. I have several games in my Steam Library which I would not have been able to purchase if they were distributed via a keyless system.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure you'll find that the publishers will set lower limits on the prices keyless games can be sold. Trading in keys vs direct activation from authorized resellers means that stores can sell them at whatever price they want, since they have already been paid for in bulk.
It also gives publishers the power to pull games from sale immediately and prevent them from activating. I have several games in my Steam Library which I would not have been able to purchase if they were distributed via a keyless system.

The system I have seen there is a fixed wholesale price which the activations are sold at (likely the price that keys are sold at)
Resellers can choose to sell it for any price they want.

Just like there is now, resellers can obtain discounts/bulk buys with distributors/publishers on that wholesale price, just as they can with keys/physical games.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this...what I think it is? A meta launcher? So I don't have to stress about all the different launchers.

The dream is already a reality?
It has been for a while. There's Launchbox, which a lot of people love. I've been tinkering with it recently on recommendation from someone here, but I personally don't like how it works.

An open source launcher called Playnite exists too, and I prefer it. It even works with Windows Store/Game Pass for Windows games - keeping everything in the same desktop or big picture launcher.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
It has been for a while. There's Launchbox, which a lot of people love. I've been tinkering with it recently on recommendation from someone here, but I personally don't like how it works.

An open source launcher called Playnite exists too, and I prefer it. It even works with Windows Store/Game Pass for Windows games - keeping everything in the same desktop or big picture launcher.
Thanks for the recommendation. Will give them both a shot and see how I go.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Is this...what I think it is? A meta launcher? So I don't have to stress about all the different launchers.

The dream is already a reality?

There's also Pegasus Launcher, GOG 2.0, and some others.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Upon each redemption of an EGS Exclusive with a Keyless Partner, Epic will deduct 88% of the title's then-current USD "Base Price" (as defined in your Epic Games Store distribution agreement) from any future payments that Epic has guaranteed to you in your Epic Games Store distribution agreement (for example, unpaid "Advanced Payments" or "Minimum Guarantees").

lol

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they already take a cut on the keys sold off store? Beside they use the "partners" so it's only natural, so I'm not sure what's the issue here or is the issue that it's not exactly like steam where they offer keys without any cut off store.
It basically shows that the third party key selling is a sham for Epic as they have full control of it and profit from it. There is no real price competition when someone is able to fully control it and will always get the same amount of money.