• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.epicgames.com

Development Update: Self-Refund, Keyless Partner Integration and Changes to Ownership Authorization

We're fast approaching the second half of 2020 and more feature-complete development work is live on the Epic Games Store. You'll find some of the recently shipped features and what's coming up next.
Self-Service Refunds

We've recently enabled the ability to self-refund qualifying purchases online by yourself. When you sign into your account on the Epic Games website, click the "Account" dropdown in the top right corner of the webpage, go to the "Transactions" tab and click the game title. If the game is eligible for a self-service refund, please click the "Refund" option to initiate the refund process.

All games are eligible for a refund within 14 days of purchase for any reason. However, you must not have played more than 2 hours.

You will not be eligible for games from which you have been banned or for which you have otherwise violated the terms of service. In addition, you may not be eligible for refunds if Epic determines that you are abusing the refund policy.
Keyless Integration

Today we announced partnerships with third-party digital sales platforms; Fanatical, Green Man Gaming, and Genba Digital to offer keyless purchases for Epic Games Store titles. These partnerships make it easier for players to purchse games from third-party sites, by allowing them to link their Epic Games Store accounts to their retailer of choice.

Players will no longer need to take additional steps to redeem a key which often includes exchanging 20-digit redemption codes. Instead, this provides more confidence knowing a purchase is coming from a legitimate source and that it is directly attributed to your linked Epic Games account.
Didn't see a thread on this but still close if old. The refunds only apply to some games, so I wonder why it's not a broad store policy.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Can keyless integration die please. Tnx to Ubisoft integration of it at retailers you can't gift games anymore.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I don't mind Keyless if the option for Keys also remain for those who want to go that route. I often like to buy a key for a game for a friend or two and much prefer just sending them a chain for numbers in Discord and say "Redeem this on..." it kinda ups the mystery too.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind Keyless if the option for Keys also remain for those who want to go that route. I often like to buy a key for a game for a friend or two and much prefer just sending them a chain for numbers in Discord and say "Redeem this on..." it kinda ups the mystery too.

Ubisoft removed that option as far as I know. You can't buy keys for their games on official stores anymore.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
That's nice. I honestly don't mind the EGS. Just wish they'd be faster in adopting some of the features. Starting with a fucking cart, but refunds were as important as that, IMO.

That said, I think many of the features we have relied on Steam for should be decoupled from storefronts. Friend lists (and the ability to join their games from them) and Achievements for instance, otherwise there's going to be too much segregation and duplication between storefronts for end-users.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Do Psn/XBL/Nintendo Network still not offer self service refunds? Epic is making some nice moves.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
They even support partial refunds

twitter.com

Joshua Boggs on Twitter

“Whoa whoa what?! I’ve clearly been around for too long because I find this refund for a discount I missed on the ⁦@EpicGames⁩ store absolutely mind blowingly generous. This is incredible?”

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Keys are dying because of fraud. You'll see less and less keys used as redeemables as time goes on everywhere.

It would be fine if they implement gifting at the same time. Currently you literally can't gift some of the Ubisoft games because they are not in Steam and other stores except UPlay and Epic Store, and those that are on those stores are so heavily region locked that even though I pay more as person from EU (I want to gift it to friend in US).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both of those things are more important than being able to buy more than one thing at a time?

Of course they are. I realize you just wanna get your circlejerk on, but yes, huge quality of life updates that affect how and where you play a game are clearly more important.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It would be fine if they implement gifting at the same time. Currently you literally can't gift some of the Ubisoft games because they are not in Steam and other stores except UPlay and Epic Store, and those that are on those stores are so heavily region locked that even though I pay more as person from EU (I want to gift it to friend in US).
Gifting generally isn't widely used compared to direct sales, so I can understand why they've not implemented keyless gifting among retailers. It would take some effort to build the frame work necessary to allow something like that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Gifting generally isn't widely used compared to direct sales, so I can understand why they've not implemented keyless gifting among retailers. It would take some effort to build the frame work necessary to allow something like that.

Well it would be easy if game was on Steam. I am literally looking how to gift Anno 1800 to friend in US since game launched. I even bought Samsung promo key that friend tried to activate but it was region locked so key ended up being wasted.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
EGS is still hilarious excruciatingly slow in making attempts to improve. It inspires zero additional trust from me, and continues to be out competed

Having said that in some measure of hope, the partial refund process should a game go on sale after a particular period from purchase, is a genuinely good one other stores should adopt

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Not seeing these refund options on the transactions page. I got watch dogs 2 and ended up not liking it, only put like an hour into it but have no option to refund.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I open EGS I cry inside. How can a multi billion company have such a shitty flagship product? The interface is so fucking laggy I can visibly see the latency when scrolling, which by the way isn't smooth. There is no acceptable reason for the scrolling in the store to not be perfectly buttery smooth. It's like they tried to replicate the early 00's museum touch screen experience.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are. I realize you just wanna get your circlejerk on, but yes, huge quality of life updates that affect how and where you play a game are clearly more important.
I'm not circlejerking; I thought the issue was largely overblown since I never used Epic until the last two weeks or so. Given I have Launchbox and have Steam Big Picture and Attract Mode as fallback options, a BPM from Epic isn't a concern from me unless they do it and it's apparent that it's on par with an actual console UI. And given the broad variety of input config tools, from 360ce, DS4Windows ReWASD, and Steam's Input (which can be used on everything if you run it from the desktop so you don't even need to launch everything directly from Steam), input is covered.

Now should Epic be giving away a handful of games, tossing out a $10 off coupon that can be used on anything while also having a legitimate sale -- like what they're doing now!!! -- being able to complete one step in this long ass chain at a time is tedious and ridiculous.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
How does the refund work if you don't use a credit card or paypal?

There are payment methods in which you can use cash via payment partners (for example, pay at local minimarket). Would people get the receipt to accept the refunded money from said payment partner? Steam refund works because there's digital money in the platform (Steam wallet).

Edit: I looked up the page and found this:
How will I receive my refund?
Once a purchase has been selected for refund, it will be refunded to the payment method used to make the purchase, however, this may not always be possible depending on the payment method.
I guess that confirms my concern, it'll only work for credit card & paypal for the most part.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
EGS is still hilarious excruciatingly slow in making attempts to improve. It inspires zero additional trust from me, and continues to be out competed

Having said that in some measure of hope, the partial refund process should a game go on sale after a particular period from purchase, is a genuinely good one other stores should adopt

All the news popping up lately does give the impression they are doing a lot though. Haven't heard very much from Steam in comparison.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
All the news popping up lately does give the impression they are doing a lot though. Haven't heard very much from Steam in comparison.
www.resetera.com

Introducing Steam Labs - New Steam Experimental Features

Introducing Steam Labs JUL 11 @ 12:08PM - ALDEN Behind the scenes at Steam, we create many experimental features with codenames like The Peabody Recommender and Organize Your Steam Library Using Morse Code. For the first time, we're giving these works-in-progress a home called Steam Labs...
www.resetera.com

Valve have a new Beta installer for the Linux Steam Client for the brave tester

Valve continue to push Linux gaming forward and today they have a new Beta installer available to try for the Steam Client. Currently, it's aimed at Debian and derivatives (Ubuntu and so on). This is the package that ensures Steam is properly ready to actually be downloaded and fully installed...

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Introducing The Steam Interactive Recommender

Use the Steam Interactive Recommender to discover personalized recommendations for games you'll love, based on the ones you play.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Search Updates

Today we're releasing new features that make the Store Search feature more powerful and easier to use.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Introducing Steam Remote Play Together

Now in Beta, Remote Play Together is a new Steam feature that lets you play local multiplayer games with friends over the internet, together.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Steam Library - Now Released

Starting today, the new Steam Library features are available to everyone. A hearty thank you to everyone who tried out the Library during the beta!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I mean since last year:

Steam Remote Play
Soundtrack Update
Steam PC Cafe Updates
Steam Library Update
Steam Labs
Steam Events
Steam News Hub
Steam Play Next
Updates to Search
Steam Interactive Recommender
Management Sharing Plattform
Even more VR headsets support
Added more native controller Support.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Neat! I thought I also read something somewhere about automatic refunds if a game you bought recently went on sale? Might have been a fever dream though.

www.resetera.com

Introducing Steam Labs - New Steam Experimental Features

Introducing Steam Labs JUL 11 @ 12:08PM - ALDEN Behind the scenes at Steam, we create many experimental features with codenames like The Peabody Recommender and Organize Your Steam Library Using Morse Code. For the first time, we're giving these works-in-progress a home called Steam Labs...
www.resetera.com

Valve have a new Beta installer for the Linux Steam Client for the brave tester

Valve continue to push Linux gaming forward and today they have a new Beta installer available to try for the Steam Client. Currently, it's aimed at Debian and derivatives (Ubuntu and so on). This is the package that ensures Steam is properly ready to actually be downloaded and fully installed...

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Introducing The Steam Interactive Recommender

Use the Steam Interactive Recommender to discover personalized recommendations for games you'll love, based on the ones you play.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Search Updates

Today we're releasing new features that make the Store Search feature more powerful and easier to use.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Introducing Steam Remote Play Together

Now in Beta, Remote Play Together is a new Steam feature that lets you play local multiplayer games with friends over the internet, together.
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Steam News :: Steam Library - Now Released

Starting today, the new Steam Library features are available to everyone. A hearty thank you to everyone who tried out the Library during the beta!

Here we go. More things that nobody uses!
sarcasm

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Neat! I thought I also read something somewhere about automatic refunds if a game you bought recently went on sale? Might have been a fever dream though.

Epic did that with first sale too, Also with WWZ after it went free. So it's kinda "automatic" but only if activated for that sale with varying conditions that you have to meet.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Epic Games store eats cost of site-wide sale

Epic Games is doing more than just buying exclusivity on big-name games to drive adoption of the Epic Games store. Toda…

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
And yet people will still find a way to complain about the EGS.

Their storefront being absurdly substandard is certainly funny, but their purchasing of exclusives and curation policy are the actual problems with EGS. Till they get rid of those I'll certainly still be opposed to EGS.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Really? That is a crazy view point imo.
There have been significant Steam updates and feature additions in less than month intervals, for the past few years consistently.

In comparison, since the start of the year we're getting EGS "features" added that exist on even the worst stores from their start, once in March and now. Last year was really bad. For me, I'm not looking for "just a store" but one that adds value, support, security and flexibility to my the library consistently. If EGS wants to compete, that's what it needs to do much more of, rather than playing catch up on the most basic functions

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

sarcasm
Yes, I never use the Steam library at all. Instead I always manually launch the executable through the Windows 10 command prompt.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sarcasm

I hope this was a sarcastic post that lost the /s because all of those other than the Linux installer, were either Store improvements or a feature to play Coop games through streaming.

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Wish we had official gifting of games while they're at it. Would love to buy Satisfactory for a friend, but no dice.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wait how is this a good thing?
I can buy third party seller keys and redeem them on Steam but I can't on the EGS?

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
90% of complaining towards EGS comes to the fact that they are owned by Tencent.
Being braziliann I really don't care if the software spying on me is American or Chinese, so I'm good with them.