• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much would you pay for home grown pasture raised eggs?

• $1-2

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • $3-4

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • $5-6

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • $7+

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don't eat eggs

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We have about a dozen hens, and trying to figure out what a good price range for local/homegrown pasture raised chicken eggs.

So people who buy pasture raised eggs, what do you pay, how much would you pay?

People who have chickens who pasture raise their hens, how much do you charge?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dozen I usually buy are $7.99, there are pricier dozens from (presumably?) higher quality pastures that go for more and people still buy them, as I don't see many on the shelf. This is SF.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The dozen I usually buy are $7.99, there are pricier dozens from (presumably?) higher quality pastures that go for more and people still buy them, as I don't see many on the shelf. This is SF.

I'm in the Seattle area, So that is a good price gauge.

My 'pasture' is basically about a half acre of grass, seeds, bugs, basically whatever the hens can find.

Do you buy directly from the seller? Or go to like a farmers market?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say $4-5, so my vote is either $3-4 or $5-6. Probably like $4.79.

I guy pasture raised eggs and spend between $4 and $5 depending on inflation and other factors, occassionally more, sometimes less.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
There are one or two local farms (that i can buy in-store) that charge $5 for a dozen large brown pasture-raised. That's great but they are always the first to sell out. Most of the other pasture-raised options I see are going for $9 per dozen. That's too much for me.

we want to continue supporting humane treatment and rearing of chickens however, so I'm looking into which farms or other mutual aid orgs (or CSAs) I can purchase pasture raised eggs from at more reasonable prices.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I already pay ~$7 for my store bought organic eggs. My neighbor has a couple chickens and once gave us some of her excess eggs, though, and holy fuck they were amazing. I'd easily pay her like $10 for a dozen lol. But that's just me.

If you have one in your area, I'd recommend checking out your local farmers market. That'll probably give you a better idea of what people in your area are willing to pay for local grown/raised foods.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I voted $3-4 but mainly because there isn't a $4-$5. $3 is way too cheap imo but I'd have a hard time paying more than $5.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the Seattle area, So that is a good price gauge.

My 'pasture' is basically about a half acre of grass, seeds, bugs, basically whatever the hens can find.

Do you buy directly from the seller? Or go to like a farmers market?
Well, lately I get them from a speciality market that specializes in local goods, called Guss'. But I'd go to the farmers market weekly on Saturdays before this whole pandemic thing started, and get them there.

I haven't had any experience getting them directly from the seller, it seems more accessible for customers to get them off a shelf or at the farmer's market.

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
I think we used to sell our hens eggs a dozen for $5 in California. Didn't have any issue selling them. Others around my area sold for about the same price

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well, lately I get them from a speciality market that specializes in local goods, called Guss'. But I'd go to the farmers market weekly on Saturdays before this whole pandemic thing started, and get them there.

I haven't had any experience getting them directly from the seller, it seems more accessible for customers to get them off a shelf or at the farmer's market.

Absolutely true, We will be too small of a operation to have a booth or anything, several of my neighbors are interested, I just wanted to offer them eggs at a fair price, and I didn't know what the relative going rate is/was.

I think we used to sell our hens eggs a dozen for $5 in California. Didn't have any issue selling them. Others around my area sold for about the same price

Thank you, Did you do a farmers market? Or just neighbors and friends?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
heavily depends on your area lol. The SF prices posted above would be scoffed at here.

edit: maybe go to the store, find the "organic" eggs, and then mark yours up a dollar or so more?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely true, We will be too small of a operation to have a booth or anything, several of my neighbors are interested, I just wanted to offer them eggs at a fair price, and I didn't know what the relative going rate is/was.

$8 feels pretty fair and neighborly to me, especially in the Seattle area :)

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was gonna say $4-5, so my vote is either $3-4 or $5-6. Probably like $4.79.

I guy pasture raised eggs and spend between $4 and $5 depending on inflation and other factors, occassionally more, sometimes less.

That seems to be a fair average, I wonder if it depends on the area/region as well?

There are one or two local farms (that i can buy in-store) that charge $5 for a dozen large brown pasture-raised. That's great but they are always the first to sell out. Most of the other pasture-raised options I see are going for $9 per dozen. That's too much for me.

we want to continue supporting humane treatment and rearing of chickens however, so I'm looking into which farms or other mutual aid orgs (or CSAs) I can purchase pasture raised eggs from at more reasonable prices.

Yeah, $9 is pretty high, I can see a $5-6. But I will likely hand delivering the eggs, so maybe that might be worth it to be on a higher end.

At the local farmers market they are typically between $6 to $8.

That is good to know, I'm guessing the grocery store is a bit cheaper?

I already pay ~$7 for my store bought organic eggs. My neighbor has a couple chickens and once gave us some of her excess eggs, though, and holy fuck they were amazing. I'd easily pay her like $10 for a dozen lol. But that's just me.

If you have one in your area, I'd recommend checking out your local farmers market. That'll probably give you a better idea of what people in your area are willing to pay for local grown/raised foods.

Come live near me, I'd take $10 lol. We've thought about farmers market, but our operation is way too small, likely only 6-8 dozen eggs a week, so this will be more of a friends/family/neighbors thing. We already have a couple of neighbors that are interested, we don't want to fleece them, but it should be equitable.

I voted $3-4 but mainly because there isn't a $4-$5. $3 is way too cheap imo but I'd have a hard time paying more than $5.

I can see that, thanks for your perspective.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
What the color of your yolk? I have never paid more than $4 for eggs but thats supermarket eggs. I dont go to farmers markets but if the eggs are as fresh as ones in asia like Japan, I would be willing to pay a bit more. Not $8 but maybe $6.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Voted 5 to 6. Anything over 6 and I get sticker shock and don't buy it, even if they were golden eggs.

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017

We had like a weekly kinda swap meet at one of the local churches that is where most of them were sold, but also neighbors and friends as well.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What the color of your yolk? I have never paid more than $4 for eggs but thats supermarket eggs. I dont go to farmers markets but if the eggs are as fresh as ones in asia like Japan, I would be willing to pay a bit more. Not $8 but maybe $6.

We don't know yet, the hens are not yet laying.

Voted 5 to 6. Anything over 6 and I get sticker shock and don't buy it, even if they were golden eggs.

I hear you on that.

"Home grown" made me pause.

Whose home?

Mine.

We had like a weekly kinda swap meet at one of the local churches that is where most of them were sold, but also neighbors and friends as well.

Nice, May I ask what breed you had?

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
so wait, is the vote for the dozen or for one egg?

We buy bio eggs in our local super market at 3€/6 eggs or from a local former farmer with some dozens of chickens at 60cents/egg
eggs here are sold in ten-packs or six-packs btw. ;)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The grocery store near me carries a small farm pasture raised egg. It is usually going for $6 per dozen. I... tend to not go for that. Typically my ceiling for eggs are closer to $4-$5. And Costco has a pasture raised 2 dozen pack for around $8.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What do you mean when you say home raised?

Like, do they actually run around a large area and eat more than just chicken feed?

I voted $3-$4 because I'm imagining eggs laid by a few chickens in a normal yard eating mostly chicken feed.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
where are you selling them?

everyone i know with chickens just gives their eggs away.

Likely to friends and neighbours, I'm sure some will be given away, but we would likely get 80-100 eggs per week.

so wait, is the vote for the dozen or for one egg?

We buy bio eggs in our local super market at 3€/6 eggs or from a local former farmer with some dozens of chickens at 60cents/egg
eggs here are sold in ten-packs or six-packs btw. ;)

Yes that price is for a dozen, around here you see some 6 pack of eggs and 18 packs, but a dozen is typical

What do you mean when you say home raised?

Like, do they actually run around a large area and eat more than just chicken feed?

I voted $3-$4 because I'm imagining eggs laid by a few chickens in a normal yard eating mostly chicken feed.

Yeah, during the spring and summer our hens in the past rarely ate their feed. They mostly are seeds, grasses, weeds, bugs etc. They will eat mice if they can catch one.

This is part of our back yard.

1a88056b42021d1f737c2fe0d6e473cba6eec17b.jpg

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Good organic eggs here are already $5-6, so I'd definitely buy local for the same amount.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Likely to friends and neighbours, I'm sure some will be given away, but we would likely get 80-100 eggs per week.

Yes that price is for a dozen, around here you see some 6 pack of eggs and 18 packs, but a dozen is typical

Yeah, during the spring and summer our hens in the past rarely ate their feed. They mostly are seeds, grasses, weeds, bugs etc. They will eat mice if they can catch one.

This is part of our back yard.

1a88056b42021d1f737c2fe0d6e473cba6eec17b.jpg

Oh niceeee.

If that's the setup, I'd honestly be happy to buy them at a stand for $6 a dozen.

That being said, if you're selling to neighbors, I'd probably go with a lower price (like $4). With friends and family...either a couple bucks or just don't give them any unless you're gifting them. (That's what I would do, not that I'm saying you should have the same idea.)

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I pay $6.50 for a dozen of pasture-raised from the grocery store here in Buffalo, NY. Most roadside signs I see for eggs say $5, but I've seen up to $8/dozen.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
We buy organic, free-range eggs and I think we pay $5.50 at the grocery store.

At a roadside stand or similar small operation? I'd round up to $6 without complaint.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been buying pasture raised, certified humane eggs from costco at $7.5 per 2 dozen. Udring pandemic i stopped. Also noticed it went up to $10 per 2 dozen.