• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Twitter be wild this week.

Some highlights, but really, you have to read the whole thread.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this earlier this week. I did not make it to the end for that Washington Monument one though.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this a couple of days ago and didn't think much of it but now that I have realized that she is talking about the Washington Monument, boy this is incredibly stupid.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the monument in question is one in Birmingham, the Jefferson Monument, not the Washington monument.
Yes she was writing this in regards to Confederate's Monuments though she did forget to realize the first monument that most would immediately envision is the Washington Monument.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw this a couple of days ago and didn't think much of it but now that I have realized that she is talking about the Washington Monument, boy this is incredibly stupid.
She is not https://twitter.com/indyfromspace/status/1267274543774814212?s=21
There might be one just like this in downtown Birmingham! What a coincidence. Can someone please show this thread to the folks there.

people. Read it all. Good god.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yes she was writing this in regards to Confederate's Monuments though she did forget to realize the first monument that most would immediately envision is the Washington Monument.

Only dumbasses or those willfully trying to misinterpret what she wrote. You ain't pulling down the Washington Monument with chains and a bunch of people pulling. She was clearly talking about something much smaller.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
news.artnet.com

After an Egyptologist Tweeted Advice on Knocking Down an Obelisk, Protesters Tried It Out on a Confederate Monument. It Worked

An Egyptologist tweeted out instructions for how to knock down an obelisk. Protesters tried it out on a confederate monument in Birmingham.

Demonstrators seem to have gotten the message. That night, crowds protesting police brutality following the murder of George Floyd tried to tear down the 52-foot-tall obelisk, known as the Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, in Birmingham's Linn Park. Standing among the group with a megaphone, the city's mayor, Randall Woodfin, said, "Allow me to finish the job for you."

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

One would think that was obvious but I guess common sense isn't so common. Who the fuck would encourge people to pull down the Washington Monument?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I believe the monument in question is one in Birmingham, the Jefferson Monument, not the Washington monument.

Someone asked a question about the Washington Monument though so I answered it with the knowledge I had. No one's pulling down the Washington Monument haha.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

She's not.

news.artnet.com

After an Egyptologist Tweeted Advice on Knocking Down an Obelisk, Protesters Tried It Out on a Confederate Monument. It Worked

An Egyptologist tweeted out instructions for how to knock down an obelisk. Protesters tried it out on a confederate monument in Birmingham.

I had heard about folks trying to take it down, but didn't realize they tried her advice.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The one about Birmingham is not in the OP and the Washington monument one is mentioned with all caps so excuse me if I make the leap. Still, partially my fault.

1) OP did say read the entire thread.
2) OP posted some of the funny bits, including the last part she included because people seriously thought a small group could take down the Washington Monument.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
She's not.

I had heard about folks trying to take it down, but didn't realize they tried her advice.

I don't know if they did it before getting her advice, or if they read it wrong. When they tried, they had smaller wire cables and had it tied around below the halfway point of the obelisk. They were unable to make any progress. They needed thicker chains, more than one of them, and have them nearer the top like she said.

5I274ZWANZAUZD7DJSNHSTNL5E.jpg

The city came in the next day with a crane and cut it into smaller pieces and hauled them off.