• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

This article struck a chord with me. The author recalls struggling to see Pikmin perish as a child. I'm the same way. The more I've played Pikmin games, the harder a time I have losing one. I felt incredibly stressed playing some of the more challenging sections of Pikmin 2 while trying not to lose many Pikmin. The Pikmin are so individually endearing that losing one and seeing its spirit float off feels affecting and meaningful. It didn't bother me in Pikmin Adventure (Nintendo Land) since the characters are just Miis dressing up. I really appreciated in Hey! Pikmin that the game recognizes you with a gold medal for getting all 20 Pikmin to the exit.

Anyone else feel like this? Are there other games that have given you similar experiences?

Many

Sep 17, 2018
It's just a game. I don't like to lose pikmins because they are resources, that's all.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I think its very in line with the theme of the game being a wild, unexplored dangerous planet. Death is part of the natural cycle of life and thats true for everything, even cute Pikmin

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I mean yeah, as a kid it was harrowing to hear the cries of a pikmin in water, or the sad moan as their ghost floats and dissipates. But nowadays it's only slightly distressing, because they're necessary resources. I've become a heartless capitalist overlord. Which helps to enjoy Pikmin.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finally played a Fire Emblem without restarting to save characters from death and...

Yeah it hit me surprisingly hard. Two of my best units killed, one who had been with me since the beginning, and I honestly sat around depressed for a few hours.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This article struck a chord with me. The author recalls struggling to see Pikmin perish as a child. I'm the same way. The more I've played Pikmin games, the harder a time I have losing one. I felt incredibly stressed playing some of the more challenging sections of Pikmin 2 while trying not to lose many Pikmin. The Pikmin are so individually endearing that losing one and seeing its spirit float off feels affecting and meaningful. It didn't bother me in Pikmin Adventure (Nintendo Land) since the characters are just Miis dressing up. I really appreciated in Hey! Pikmin that the game recognizes you with a gold medal for getting all 20 Pikmin to the exit.

Anyone else feel like this? Are there other games that have given you similar experiences?

Nah, I've always been the exact same way. The games are incredibly stressful for me to play, and losing even one Pikmin is so demoralizing. Just hearing its cry of death makes me so sad : (

I still like to play them despite this though and I don't know why lol

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I knew this was an Ana Diaz joint as soon as I saw the title. This was a nice read :) makes me want to download Pikmin 3

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Nah, I've always been the exact same way. The games are incredibly stressful for me to play, and losing even one Pikmin is so demoralizing. Just hearing its cry of death makes me so sad : (

I still like to play them despite this though and I don't know why lol
The worst is in Pikmin 3 when out of nowhere you see 20 Pikmin suddenly die because you weren't paying attention to their task you assigned them. Made me feel terrible lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
OP "why must the pikmin die?"
Also OP, playing the game, killing all of the other wildlife that were only trying to live their lives....

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tbh, if you're sad about Pikmin dying, it seems a slight bit hypocritical to not care as much for the enemies they face, who are 90% of the time just creatures doing their own business. The villian is sort of the player characters themselves, but they're stranded and doing what's necessary as well.

Actually though, I read some interesting article about how Pikmin 2 fails this premise by twisting the "environmentalism" of the original, I'll try to find it. It was a bit cynical to me but from this perspective it does make it more perverse.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Try playing an Advance Wars game without letting any of your soldiers die.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Nabbit is vegetarian, not wishing to harm real-life animals. But then Pikmin comes along and puts faces and feelings on vegetables!

I just head-canon that the Pikmin reincarnate. I also recall Miyamoto saying he wanted kids to realize that life continues in the world after one dies, and to take comfort in that.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Cause it's a neat mechanic. Pikmin are supposed to die, it's okay to feel a little sad over it, but that's why Flower Pikmin drops seeds after they die.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ok, wasn't too hard to find, but yeah, this article does kind of point out the "flawed" premise of Pikmin 2. Kind of overly cynical to me, but it seems notable that Pikmin 3 kind of corrected on this with an even more obvious environmentalism message.

thegemsbok.com

Why Pikmin is Better than Pikmin 2 - The Gemsbok

This article analyzes the tone and design of the single-player campaigns in Pikmin and Pikmin 2, concluding that the original Pikmin is the stronger title.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Also OP, playing the game, killing all of the other wildlife that were only trying to live their lives....
I always feel a bit bad about killing those lovable red bugs. I also feel a bit sad when a Pikmin dies, but at the same time I think the game would work much worse without it.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think its very in line with the theme of the game being a wild, unexplored dangerous planet. Death is part of the natural cycle of life and thats true for everything, even cute Pikmin

These are my thoughts exactly, and I'm pretty sure it's what Nintendo was going for. Underneath its cute skin, Pikmin is a game about survival, about life and death and overcoming adversity.

May 24, 2019
The light morbid humor of it gives the game some flavor.

Some level of nastiness in kid/family focused entertainment is good, imo.

Last edited:

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
dcd.gif

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
The worst is when you mishandle a bomb rock and lose 50 Pikmin at once with an explosion.

Capricorn

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have never finished a Pikmin game because of this reason, I even bought 3 for the Wii U thinking that I would have gotten over it now that I'm older but seeing multiple Pikmin die at the same time still makes me feel like shit :(

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always try to play Pikmin as I do Fire Emblem: Leaving no one behind.

But I guess the game should/could be played like what says in the Ai no Uta song:

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, if you're sad about Pikmin dying, it seems a slight bit hypocritical to not care as much for the enemies they face, who are 90% of the time just creatures doing their own business. The villian is sort of the player characters themselves, but they're stranded and doing what's necessary as well.

Actually though, I read some interesting article about how Pikmin 2 fails this premise by twisting the "environmentalism" of the original, I'll try to find it. It was a bit cynical to me but from this perspective it does make it more perverse.
Good point. I should have mentioned that it does make me sad and uncomfortable at times to see bulborbs and other animals perish.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Nabbit is vegetarian, not wishing to harm real-life animals. But then Pikmin comes along and puts faces and feelings on vegetables!

I just head-canon that the Pikmin reincarnate. I also recall Miyamoto saying he wanted kids to realize that life continues in the world after one dies, and to take comfort in that.
I remember reading that, too. I'm not a vegetarian anymore, unfortunately, so I know that makes me a hypocrite, but I do hope to become vegetarian or vegan again one day.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have the worst deaths of any Nintendo character.

Either them or possibly, Mario drowning in 64. That was fucked up.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I always try to play Pikmin as I do Fire Emblem: Leaving no one behind.

But I guess the game should/could be played like what says in the Ai no Uta song:

My wife has a Pikmin bag from Club Nintendo that says pretty much this same thing. I definitely understand that it's a circle of life thing, I just feel like it's more poignant in Pikmin than most other games. Maybe because in most games I play, death means restarting and has no permanence to it. You don't really see Mario die and then keep going on without him.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Everything that lives has to die one day. It's just the cycle of nature.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
My wife has a Pikmin bag from Club Nintendo that says pretty much this same thing. I definitely understand that it's a circle of life thing, I just feel like it's more poignant in Pikmin than most other games. Maybe because in most games I play, death means restarting and has no permanence to it. You don't really see Mario die and then keep going on without him.

This is what makes death in Pikmin feel more real.. they die, and yet you don't just start over and avoid it, they are gone forever and life moves on.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I mean, I assume the devs hoped that you'd be sad when they die since you're not supposed to let them die

Pikmin is hardcore though. a game of kill or be killed

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
It's a strategy game, the point is to beat it while trying to keep all your Pikmin, you need to learn how to manage them, how to move, how to make the best move you have available, to prevent losing them. It's part of the challenge. You can choose to let some die and go on, or try to keep them all alive against all odds, it is your decision, but one is harder than the other, however, some may find satisfaction in beating a day without losing any of their dear Pikmin. Also, nature is cruel and can be very violent, which this game never forgets to remind you of, even the enemies want to live and for that they have to eat or defend themselves and if you are in their path or attack them, they'll fight to live, just as you fight to survive in a cruel environment. So think how to best manage your Pikmin and move through the world, that way you can avoid most, if not all loses and feel happy with yourself.