• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is brilliant. I think 40 hours work weeks are too long, and it's dumb how normalized it is.

well they were a result of the industrial revolution and subsequent unionization. 8 to work, 8 to play, 8 to sleep etc.

But yes it's an outdated concept now. There's no reason for it in non-production jobs.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Very fucking good! This has to be the way forward literally everywhere.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
4cc.jpg

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
User banned (1 week): Drive-by trolling
Guess going to 32h/week is a first step before completely shutting down the studio after GOTG bombs 👌🏻
/s

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
4 days workdays should be standard everywhere. 8 hours shift, none of that compress bullshit of 10 hours to get 3 days off.

that or 6 hours shifts while keeping the 2 days off.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good move and the way forward for all studios.

I've dreamt about opening up my own gaming studio that's an antithesis to some of the major studios in the industry right now:

• 30-32 hour work weeks, but get paid for 40
• Absolutely no crunch whatsoever
• Very casual and relaxed studio, coffee bar and alcohol bar on site
• Option to WFH permanently
• Gender-inclusive workplace committed to a culture of support, safety and acceptance
• Work-life balance
• Generous PTO allowance similar to Europe, nowhatever the hell most US companies
• Shared profit equally among all employees, including supervisors, managers and VPs

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good move and the way forward for all studios.

I've dreamt about opening up my own gaming studio that's an antithesis to some of the major studios in the industry right now:

• 30-32 hour work weeks, but get paid for 40
• Absolutely no crunch whatsoever
• Very casual and relaxed studio, coffee bar and alcohol bar on site
• Option to WFH permanently
• Gender-inclusive workplace committed to a culture of support, safety and acceptance
• Work-life balance
• Generous PTO allowance similar to Europe, nowhatever the hell most US companies
• Shared profit equally among all employees, including supervisors, managers and VPs
I have zero connections to the gaming industry, but let me know where I can send my application when you open it ;)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Give this move the proper props.
This isn't just something new and innovative in the gaming industry. It's also something new in tech sector as a whole.

bravo to Eidos Montreal.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I've been doing the 32hr/4 day a week thing for a year and a half now and there is just no way I can go back to 40hr/5 day. I had to take a 20% pay cut amd 20% less vacation days, but it was worth it. Having that one extra day makes all the difference in the world. I have more time to recharge on the weekends and I (usually) feel rested and ready for the new week when monday rolls around. Burnout also isn't as much of a concern as it was with a 5 day week.

I really believe that 32hr/4 day weeks are the future. It seems to be a fast-growing trend too. Roughly 50% of my company (situated in Germany) is working less than 40 hours a week at this point.

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a truck driver well owner now but when I drove for the city it was a similar schedule 4 days 10 hours!it's great.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
work in software dev. since remote work started i think most devs work way less hours then before. but good to see it mandated

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully this starts a trend not only in gaming but Canada.
I get my bare minimum 10 vacation days a year with zero sick or personal days.
If my work week got cut back 8 hours they would cut my pay to compensate.
A shorter work week is possible but it'll end up with a ton of people having to get second jobs unfortunately cause most companies won't keep pay the same.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
This is great, good for them. Hopefully it is not offset by a crazy crunch later down the road.

Jul 1, 2020
I'd love to see this be a model for the industry going forward. Especially if they keep the same hours during the entire development of their next game and the quality is either better or not worsened by treating the devs this well.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
My first teaching job was a school that worked 4 days on. I've never been as productive since leaving that school.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
So you'd drop 20% of your working hours for a 10% pay cut? Who wouldn't….

I mean there is a sensitivity thing here right? Like for someone making hardly any money, if it's hard for them to find another part time job the 20% less work for 10% less pay might not be attractive if they are living paycheck to paycheck.

But in general at mid to upper quintile ranges, it's a good deal.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Holy fuck this is 100% awesome news. I would kill for my company to do the same.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking amazing!!

Let's fight to make this happen in the rest of the world too! Not only for ourselves, but for our relatives and friends, and the relatives and friends of our relatives and friends, and every fucking person in Earth!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
7AUpYgj3hgKRGfV1Zlmx-Q.png.webp

Awesome. I would really like to see this more widely adopted (and not just in gaming), there's been movement and trials for it in recent times (Iceland in example). And I think the results so far have been positive, atleast not negative.

Last edited:

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good. I work 4 day weeks but they're 10 hour days. (Then like 2 hours of commuting lol). Great for Eidos though, having every Friday off is super nice.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Eidos adopting this. Wish them the best and I hope other studios take notice and are forced to change as well!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Hopefully 10 years from now this will be a looooooot more common. WFH became common overnight (forcibly because of the pandemic, sure) so I believe the capabilities to change the 5-day work week to 4 days are there, it's just a matter of time and pushing towards that direction.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I get my bare minimum 10 vacation days a year with zero sick or personal days.
If my work week got cut back 8 hours they would cut my pay to compensate.
A shorter work week is possible but it'll end up with a ton of people having to get second jobs unfortunately cause most companies won't keep pay the same.

Only 10 vacation days in a year? I am sorry for you.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking awesome. Nearly every employer/industry should be switching to a similar model.

Might end up buying Guardians day 1 just to support these people. (I was already interested in the game, but probably would have waited for a good sale).

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't affect anyone on salary but anyone who is working contract for them will be since they get paid hourly and not on a fixed salary.