• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So we all know the edgelord trope is pretty eye rolling but sometimes edgy designs can be the best. So which edgy designs are just so cool looking.

latest

d974c9438c9cb6d4545d9a81f81c4b08.jpg

latest

5237ee25e6de42f760e17f7d96072f41.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Raziel from Soul Reaver, angry angel with no face, and big claws. Story does a great job explaining why he looks like that.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As an artist, I kind of want to create a super edgy character design, yet have the actual character itself be a puppy dog. Then do the reverse of the non-edgy character design, but have that character be the "Ow, The Edge" character, just for shits and giggles.

The tricky thing is that so much of visual design is saying a lot about a character without having to spell it out with words or descriptions, so you use visual shorthand to express character traits like "cunning," or "angry," or "optimistic." Might be a fun exercise for me anyway.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
5002262-bakugos-costume-is-so-badass-katsuki-bakugou-hero-costume-hd-bakugo-png-840_1289_preview.png

I prefer later versions without the hairpiece, but this is some pure Liefeld try-hard that absolutely nails the essence of Bakugo.

-2928625455523123272.jpg
5985548-6343972867-latest

One only has to look to Fox-Men to see how badly that ditching the bright spandex for black leather can go wrong, but these darker, grittier designs kick ass.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Only good thing about this terrible game

reaper-concept.jpg
Speaking of, Omen from Valorant.

His original design was literally just Blue Reaper:

Then they gave him Monster Energy drink eyes, stuck a "tech" cuirass on him, and legitimately made him so, so much cooler

193436-omen-cover-new-orig-2-article_image_d-1.jpeg

His model also constantly vibrates in-game, giving him a visual sense of the instability of his body

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I was always fond of Haseo's second form. Not as over-the-top as his 3rd form but just try-hard enough :P
latest

I never really considered any major character design from YYH to be edgy; they all seemed pretty low-key in the design department, hair aside.
He has an edgy attitude as well.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, a "post image without names" thread.

Um if you haven't consumed every piece of media in existence like me then you don't deserve to be graced with precious information like sources.

Now back to my ceaseless media consumption and wikidiving as mother dearest brings me more tendies.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

They took "THIS AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S SPIDER-MAN!" and somehow made it work. It's such a nonsense design ("it's my old Day of the Dead costume!"(?!)) but it still ends up timeless and cool.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
daraku-tenshi-the-fallen-angels-cool.jpg

From Daraku Tenshi: Fallen Angels, a character so unironically cool that his name is Cool (Also he was so cool that he was the basis for another edgy unironically cool character

arte-clave-kof-99-k-dash-03.jpg

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Eh, I'm being too semantics focused. I'd say some of the stuff posted in here falls more into trying too hard or overdesigned territory. I know "edgy" is informally used in a manner similar to "pretentious."

I think it's less about pretentiousness, and more about a lack of self-awareness, while trying as hard as possible to be the baddest of asses - and of course, trying to get right to the edge of what is deemed socially acceptable.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I think it's less about pretentiousness, and more about a lack of self-awareness, while trying as hard as possible to be the baddest of asses - and of course, trying to get right to the edge of what is deemed socially acceptable.
To get into semantics, something "edgy" is actually pushing the envelope. After years of exposure to a plethora of video game, anime, comics, and other media it's not easy to find characters designs that actually do so. Some designs posted in here may fit that with historical context taken into account.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
To get into semantics, something "edgy" is actually pushing the envelope. After years of exposure to a plethora of video game, anime, comics, and other media it's not easy to find characters designs that actually do so. Some designs posted in here may fit that with historical context taken into account.
I think in this context, given the reference to edgelords, it means tryhard. So, "edgy" (emphasis on quotation marks) rather than actually edgy.