• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Subscriber issue landed and yep, she's a beauty. Cover is one of the best of late.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy to the see the high demand for the magazine; I hope more folk check EDGE out after reading the issue. They do great work!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And to think the author of the article had to convince management an "indie" game was worthy of a cover.

Silksong is going to be massive. It will rival Nintendo first party excitement on Switch. I expect it to sell a million+ during its first month on that platform alone. And it'll do at least that figure on PC at launch.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
the map system of hollow knight is excellent. i'll never understand why so many people hate it.
The map "system" is excellent sure. I like the fact that in each new area you basically go blind until you find the map.
However the actual map is horrendous, low res and mostly unusable for the purpose it's being provided, which is to mark points of interest that you may return to later. There's no two ways about it, it's poor.
The game however is a masterpiece so, map shmap, whatever :D

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Disappointed that it's not hitting all platforms. I think it's fine for the initial release of an indy title to target selected platforms so that the team can just get their games out there, but in this case they have a big audience on other hardware that will just miss out, for what is likely a long time.

I'll probably get PC while I wait for PS5 and double-dip, but still.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Is Team Cherry still just a handful of people? Id have thought they would spend some of their millions on expanding their team.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The only shitty thing about Hollow Knights map is you have to use a charm to show where you are on the map. Other than that it totally serves its purpose. No idea what the fuck some of yall are talking about.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed that it's not hitting all platforms. I think it's fine for the initial release of an indy title to target selected platforms so that the team can just get their games out there, but in this case they have a big audience on other hardware that will just miss out, for what is likely a long time.

I'll probably get PC while I wait for PS5 and double-dip, but still.
I don't think this is really the case tho. It has an audience of course but nowhere near Switch/PC. It didn't chart among the top 20 best selling game during its launch month on PSN.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people should realize how hard it is to launch on multiple platforms, specially for such a tiny team. having to port the game and then test it on so many hardware variations (specially now with multiple next gen consoles involved) is not easy, and team cherry seem like perfectionists who would want to get things perfect at launch. that's one of the reasons the switch port of the original took so long, they were working to get it to perform perfectly.

Is Team Cherry still just a handful of people? Id have thought they would spend some of their millions on expanding their team.
3 people, up from the two who made the original.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm glad they got a big magazine feature, but all of that info in the OP is stuff we've known since around the time the game got announced nearly two years ago lol. If that's all that was in there it doesn't feel like much of an update.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I just recently purchased and beat Hollow Knight, so I am super hyped for this game as HK was an amazing experience.

I am honestly wondering how they are going to make it accessible while keeping up the difficulty as that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maybe some sort of assist or god mode like Celeste or Hades? I'd be fine with that as those are difficult games, but I never felt compelled to use those modes. I might have been tempted a few times on Hollow Knight cause man, a few of those bosses were Brutal! I'm looking at you
Dream Broken Vessel (right after beating it the first time) and Radiance
I think I must have bashed my head against those bosses for like 1 to 2 hours each. I gave up on the first one and came back to it after I was more powerful too.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this is really the case tho. It has an audience of course but nowhere near Switch/PC. It didn't chart among the top 20 best selling game during its launch month on PSN.

800,000 people bought the game before it was free on plus, now it has 2.3 million players on PS4.

That's not as many owners as on steam, but that's still a tonne of players. Probably looking at around 3 million players across the two platforms.

It doesn't matter, because it's their choice at the end of the day. But I think it's better if your game has a following, to release in unison on all platforms where that following exists has a benefit. Leaving folks waiting a year or whatever to play your recent title just helps ensure that you don't build your audience on those platforms.

PS5 and XSX are still early cycle and folks are looking to play anything, while developers get swamped later on in the development cycle, that's far less true early on in any console generation where players are thirsty for games.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The original is possibly the best Metroidvania ever. Oh, and the map system is perfect if you have fortitude.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The original is possibly the best Metroidvania ever. Oh, and the map system is perfect if you have fortitude.
Possibly? It definitely is. And the map system complaints have always been a bit tenuous, so I wouldn't worry about those.

Yep. Huge Super Metroid fan, and was so impressed when I finished Hollow Knight pre-additional content, and felt it was the superior game.

I still won't forget making my one thread expressing this and mods censoring my post, because the thought of it was somehow unbearable, not to mention so many others criticising my opinion without ever playing the game.

Then the game came out on switch and suddenly I was right lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly? It definitely is. And the map system complaints have always been a bit tenuous, so I wouldn't worry about those.

I have it as 1B to Super Metroid's 1A. Hollow Knight is really long so it serves a different purpose compared to Super Metroid which is short by comparison. I replay them for different reasons. I don't think any Metroidvania does what Super Metroid does with the same map size which is part of why it is such an impressive game.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Very happy to the see the high demand for the magazine; I hope more folk check EDGE out after reading the issue. They do great work!

That's an excellent news... Just hoping my copy arrive in due time (10-11th of January)...

Hollow Knight and Silksong are one of the few games to deserve to be acquired in a Collector's Edition form... They're so beautiful.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Huge Super Metroid fan, and was so impressed when I finished Hollow Knight pre-additional content, and felt it was the superior game.

I still won't forget making my one thread expressing this and mods censoring my post, because the thought of it was somehow unbearable, not to mention so many others criticising my opinion without ever playing the game.

Then the game came out on switch and suddenly I was right lol
You got censored for saying HK is a better game than Super Metroid? It clearly is. 😂

Oct 25, 2017
Lords of Shadow was fantastic. Good taste.

Also a good thing that the next game won't be Hollow Knight related. Still having the feeling this will be their Bloodborne. Day one.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
You got censored for saying HK is a better game than Super Metroid? It clearly is. 😂

Yep. But my favourite part of that is that it showed off the idiocy of platform fandom and how people blindly can't even tolerate another opinion, even when it is a game they haven't played! Ridiculous. Anyway, I love seeing new folks discover this over time. Hopefully Silksong can go even further

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Gotta say this segment did its job well. They revealed a minimum of new information and yet managed to get me incredibly excited for the release. Hope we get it soon, fingers crossed for another Valentine's day reveal (I doubt the wait will be more than a year, it'd be weird to feature in a magazine that far in advance).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not possibly. It is.

Hollow Knight is the new king of the metroidvania genre, and every game in that genre going forward will be compared to it. It has set the new standard.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it? I haven't been able to find a source that confirms it's a story sequel.
maybe i'm confusing speculation with something that's been confirmed. they've called it the sequel to hollow knight, i'm pretty sure of that. and the way one of the endings happen and the first scene of the first trailer, makes me pretty confident that they're continuing the story from there.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How did the mods censor your post about Hollow Knight?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Great article and screenshots. Game seems nearly done but who knows.

Disappointed that there's no release window or even really hint of a release date. Either way, I'll but this on Switch at launch and then double dip on PS4, just like I did with the original. Hopefully that version isn't too far after the Switch.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
That they are fans of Lords of Shadow it just means one thing... that the whole game will be narrated by Sir Patrick Stewart and I'm all for it.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
maybe i'm confusing speculation with something that's been confirmed. they've called it the sequel to hollow knight, i'm pretty sure of that. and the way one of the endings happen and the first scene of the first trailer, makes me pretty confident that they're continuing the story from there.
They've actually stated in a Reddit AMA that they don't consider any ending the canon ending, though that was before the Silksong announcement.

All they've done so far is call it a 'sequel', which I take as just meaning a new Hollow Knight game. It's still up in the air, imo.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
How did the mods censor your post about Hollow Knight?

This was at the old place, I titled the thread something along the lines of "Hollow Knight has surpassed Super Metroid as one of the best Metroidvania" and provide my reasoning for my opinion. Mods then changed the title to [redacted] Hollow Knight, as many other users piled on to say it's not possible despite not playing it

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big deal, but I'm curious about what the pricing will be on this. Indie games in general have become more expensive and the first game was so absurdly underpriced. I'm guessing $30-$40?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was at the old place, I titled the thread something along the lines of "Hollow Knight has surpassed Super Metroid as one of the best Metroidvania" and provide my reasoning for my opinion. Mods then changed the title to [redacted] Hollow Knight, as many other users piled on to say it's not possible despite not playing it
lol that's funny.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Not a big deal, but I'm curious about what the pricing will be on this. Indie games in general have become more expensive and the first game was so absurdly underpriced. I'm guessing $30-$40?

30 at max, I'm expecting 20 just because they did 15 the first time (absolute insanity lol).

Did the 1st HK start out as a Switch console exclusive?

They did the Switch version first, PS4 and Xbox came a few months later.