• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread which I thought was quite relevant to the discussion going on here.

www.resetera.com

Does Edge Magazine have leanings statistically prevalent among certain platforms?

So Edge review threads can sometimes gain more attention or activity due to their harsher grading versus other outlets, especially when it comes to certain exclusives, but how true is that they really do use the entire scale consistently, and is there variance in their application of that scale...

Regarding Edge and using the entire scale, statistically there's variance depending on the platform or games in question, and regarding Nintendo specifically, they're actually quite aligned to the global aggregates. So evidently the entire global community of journalists/gaming outlets is also using the entire scale when it comes to Nintendo titles, just not so much outside of them?
Iirc I think it's pretty well known Edge really really emphasizes great level design, gameplay and mechanics, which is probably why they review Nintendo titles well. Nintendo are like, the kings of that.

Good story and graphics don't really matter as much to them comparatively compared to other reviewers.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Edge gained their reputation for being harsher than your average critic for good reason. Beyond that you're reading too much into the numbers.

Right, the numbers also show that, however they also show that statistically their level of harshness can or seemingly does differ quite notably platform to platform, with them statistically better alligning with aggregates on average with Nintendo games, and more strongly falling below aggregates (on average) with Sony (where the data shows the largest discrepancy to meta) and now Microsoft published titles.

Presumably the editors at Edge simply have a preference for Nintendo or Nintendo style games, and are more critical outside of that, which is fine. Everyone has preferences, it's just surprising it correlates so site/publication wide.

You can say I'm reading too much into the numbers, but the numbers literally don't lie. It's just statistical analysis. Again, that's not my personal feeling or musing or anything, but what the numbers/data show.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Having played them, Ratchet getting a 7 and Biomutant getting a 6 is some seriously weird shit. Sure different reviewers probably did em but the editors should re-evaluate why they score games the way they do.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
After several hours with it I think that may be the score I'd give Ratchet as well. It's an amazing visual showcase of the PS5's potential (especially the SSD), but the core gameplay loop is super repetitive and I don't find the arena encounters to be that engaging at all, particularly after coming off something like Returnal.

I really need to check out Chicory, sounds lovely.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is, obviously, my subjective opinion. Who said anything about being "allowed"? I reacted with my comment which still remains: no way this is a 7.

Of course, they are allowed to score it however they like. I am also allowed to comment their score.
You say it's just your subjective opinion but you did say the collective "we" here so it's become more of a general point rather an individual point:
They can review how they like, it's their magazine, but really, no way is Rift Apart a 7. Even if the gameplay was average (it is, actually, quite good), there are so many things that are industry leading. Games are a combination of many things, we can't ignore craftsmanship, artistry, technical advancements.

Can anyone say Rift Apart is not top tier in terms of: art direction, sound direction, music, vfx, technical advancements, voice acting?

So, even if the gameplay itself was "just ok" - it would *still* be a good, above average game. Unless you intentionally ignore so many aspects of the product.

If you think this game is a 7, you're just trying to be edgy (pun intended).

And you can call me a fanboy, but it's true. For example, I never actually enjoyed BoTW that much. I didn't enjoy RDR2 that much, either. But I would never say these are "7s".

You just can't ignore the artistry and craftmanship put into games - if you're a reviewer (personally, you might not care, ofc)
7 is above average, especially with how Edge uses the full scale for decades.

That seems so limiting to not allow your enjoyment inform what you thought of a game and a review score, and you have to just sort of accept because of certain technical things, that no matter how much you didn't subjectively like a game, you have to by default give a game a certain score because technical components aren't broken.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao at the long analysis to prove a nonexistent platform bias.

Its weird that the emphasis on grade school review scoring (below 80 is mediocre and 70 is bad) is unique to only the game industry.

Look at the meta score for an album or a movie. A 65 is still in the green and "generally positive reviews" lol
metacritic is basically aware of the fact that game reviewers overscore games compared to film/TV/music. that's why they grade games on a different scale.

413a4635-e034-4f75-adzkes.jpeg

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Right, the numbers also show that, however they also show that statistically their level of harshness can or seemingly does differ quite notably platform to platform, with them statistically better alligning with aggregates on average with Nintendo games, and more strongly falling below aggregates (on average) with Sony (where the data shows the largest discrepancy to meta) and now Microsoft published titles.

Presumably the editors at Edge simply have a preference for Nintendo or Nintendo style games, and are more critical outside of that, which is fine. Everyone has preferences, it's just surprising it correlates so site/publication wide.

You can say I'm reading too much into the numbers, but the numbers literally don't lie. It's just statistical analysis. Again, that's not my personal feeling or musing or anything, but what the numbers/data show.
But what we all keep calling harsh is them using the full 1-10 scale. If 9s or 10s were not handed out casually this wouldn't really be an Edge-issue.

I still don't see the point of those numbers. You could probably conclude some websites are more lenient towards Sony or Xbox than the others. Where does that take us? They're all personal reviews at the end of the day.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Just a reminder for some folks, Edge gave Dragon Quest XI a 6/10. It's just one review, no need to get worked up over it I reckon even if you disagree.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

metacritic is basically aware of the fact that game reviewers overscore games compared to film/TV/music. that's why they grade games on a different scale.

Yup, this is an important distinction and highlights where the videogame industry is inflated compared to other media criticism.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
it happens when any exclusive gets a low score, tbh. but nothing is gonna beat this one. 20 pages and had to be locked because they gave a game an 8.

The amount of people here who probably know what Edge magazine is but have never read it.

I would buy a lot of games that Edge would give a 7, Octopath traveler is an excellent RPG, got a 7 in Edge.

The idea of Edge using the 'whole scale' is fallacy nobody in Film or gaming really does, but their scale is about 1.5 points of IGN and more useful to me.

The people making the most noise about Edge in this thread will be people that probably haven't ever read a single issue.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get the argument that there's anything right/wrong/meaningful in comparing & contrasting an outlet's score to the MC average. IIRC Edge gave ARMS a 9/10, because the person reviewing the game thought it was great and wrote a review to articulate that. I don't really get or care what it means that the MC average for ARMS ended up being not even near a 9, does that mean this review is more or less meaningful, who even cares? Why does it matter beyond one journalist who has their own tastes and preferences really enjoying a game and then reviewing it as such? What 'data' or 'statistical analysis' is there to be gleamed from such an inherently subjective premise?

Cringe is absolutely the right word to describe that locked thread which was for some reason proudly linked here by its creator. I haven't played any game Edge reviewed in this issue to specifically comment on so I can't offer my own subjective view beyond how disappointing it is that more and more of their reviews can't be taken at face value here without something a bit silly happening.

Still doesn't top that GoW thread though. Yikes reading back through it. They gave it an 8 as well!

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if already posted.

Edge scores games on a ten-point scale, from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 10, with five as ostensibly the average rating. For much of the magazine's run, the magazine's review policy stated that the scores broadly correspond to one of the following "sentiments":

1. disastrous
  2. appalling
  3. severely flawed
  4. disappointing
  5. average
  6. competent
  7. distinguished
  8. excellent
  9. astounding
  10. revolutionary

However, with issue 143 the scoring system was changed to a simple list of "10 = ten, 9 = nine..." and so on, a tongue-in-cheek reference to people who read too much into review scores.

So a 7, on Edge's scale, is a really good score.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Iirc I think it's pretty well known Edge really really emphasizes great level design, gameplay and mechanics, which is probably why they review Nintendo titles well. Nintendo are like, the kings of that.
I kind of agree, I think that Edge reviews usually reward games that are focused on good mechanics, innovation or games that try a unique narrative. The main difference between them and the average reviewer AFAIK is that they don't give high scores to "more of the same but polished and visually amazing" games, or at least they don't always do.

Just a reminder for some folks, Edge gave Dragon Quest XI a 6/10.
Which is still 2-3 more points than what the game deserve. Still, if they reviewed it as a nostalgia-focused JRPG and a not a competent modern one, a 6 seems adequate.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Apologies if already posted.

So a 7, on Edge's scale, is a really good score.
Probably should be in the OP in every EDGE thread from now on... not that it would matter though.

Edgy. They know exactly what they're doing to sell magazines. lol.
Every thread... never disappoints.

---

Another lovely subscriber cover this month to look forward to.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
I'd personally rate the previous R&C games between 6 and 8 for the most part so a 7 is not that shocking.

It looks like more of the same besides obvious jump in visuals.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

That's because movie reviewers mostly use a 5 stars scale, plus games are much more complex. Movies can just be bad, while games can be bad, broken, unplayable etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
blurbs from metacritic

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (7/10):
The result is one of the sprightliest blockbusters since Insomniac's own Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and a lesson in pacing from which Sony's forthcoming PS5 big guns would do well to learn. Sure, you might find it starting to slip from memory even as the credits are rolling, but in the moment? For the most part, it's rather riveting.

Biomutant (6/10):
The moments that make Biomutant worth playing, intermittent as they can be, exist not in spite of the game's muddled identity but because of it, sitting right at the junction between its janky mechanics and outright bonkers fiction.

Hood: Outlaws & Legends (5/10):
Most baffling of all is the way each match concludes.

Subnautica: Below Zero (8/10):
Below Zero excels when it commits to its free-flowing open-world sensibilities.

Chicory: A Colorful Tale (9/10):
It encourages you to really TRY, even though no one else besides you will see the outcome and the game will happily continue on either way, because creation doesn't need to be about having something you can show to people, but about the process of DOING it. This is where the real joy lies. And even in its darker moments, Chicory is absolutely dripping with the stuff.

World's End Club (5/10):
In this game of strong beginnings and - at last - a comprehensive ending, the journey between the two needs more spring in its step.

The Magnificent Trufflepigs (6/10):
Offers the most blissful vision of rural Britain since "Everybody's Gone To The Rapture."

Overboard! (7/10):
A superior bit of stuff and nonsense, it makes a bigger splash than you'd think.

Operation: Tango (7/10):
A co-op game that's alternatively tense and funny, and occasionally both.

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs (6/10):
Where other games treat romance as a reward or an optional curio, Airport dares to put love at its centre. For that, at least, it deserves praise. And a treat. Perhaps even a belly rub, too.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart positives are Rivet (more engaging than Ratchet), the environments, graphics, and combat. The criticisms, in case others haven't read it yet:

"But during the chase to retrieve it, we jump at the wrong time and fall just short of a grind rail. And then we keep falling. It takes a good ten seconds or so to realise our extended plunge isn't part of the plan – we haven't blundered into a rift, but a glitch in the game itself. Throughout the ten to 12 hours that follow, there's no bigger bombshell.

Not everyone will see that as a criticism; to some, it will be an invitation. Because for better or worse, Rift Apart is pretty much exactly the game you expect it to be. It doesn't fall below our expectations (apart from that early eye-opener, and it would be unfair to linger further when at the time we simply reload from the checkpoint a few moments before, and continue), nor does it exceed them. It meets its remit to the letter...If that is what you wanted from Rift Apart, it will undoubtedly show you a good time, as Insomniac's games so often do. And if you were hoping for more? Well. This may not be the Lombax you're looking for."

"That its leads play second fiddle might preclude Rift Apart from being a great Ratchet & Clank game, but Insomniac is on typically fine form here. Even with all the plot setbacks that see both pairings foiled just as they're about to get their hands on whatever MacGuffin they're currently seeking – the number of times either Nefarious pops up at the worst possible time verges on parody – there is constant forward momentum, a tangible desire to hurry you onward. In hindsight, it can feel like a devious distraction technique, a way to blinker the player to the relative shallowness of its systems. But in the moment it sustains a strong pace, shifting from brisk exploration to short puzzle segments to breakneck pursuits to rail-grinding set-pieces to obstacle courses where you hurtle up ramps and through boxes of bolts in jet-powered boots or – no, really – jet-powered beetles."

" 'A playable Pixar game' is the line that's been trotted out by critics since the series' PS3 era, if not before, but if Rift Apart approaches that standard from a visual standpoint, the script is mid-tier Dreamworks at best. In truth, the plot is largely an excuse to get characters from A to B (usually via X or Y), and the cinematics are hardly excessively long. But that propulsive momentum comes at a cost, never providing much space to emotionally invest in the events as they hurriedly unspool, while the jokes are more hit-and-miss than usual. And even when battling across different dimensions, we encounter the same enemies once too often: one giant robot with a long health bar is much the same as the next, even if Insomniac affords them different names."

"Those rifts, meanwhile, have been designed to flex PS5's SSD speeds rather than be used for anything more inventive. The ability to be in two places (almost) at once has dazzling potential, which is partly realised during a dynamic early encounter where you fight a mini-boss on several planets. That bodes well for Insomniac developing the idea further, yet beyond a handful of sequences where you fly or fall from one dimension into another, that doesn't really happen. During combat you can latch onto smaller rifts, producing a wonderful visual effect that looks like you're dragging the world toward you, but it's effectively a slightly fancier grapple. In one world you whack purple crystals with your wrench to visit a mining planet while it's both intact and reduced to jagged fragments. But outside of using magnetic boots to latch onto metal platforms floating untethered in space, it's a missed opportunity. What could have involved some head-spinning cause-and-effect puzzles is reduced to nothing more than navigating your way to the next crystal and hitting it to switch from light world to dark or vice versa.

Yet that is clearly a trade-off Insomniac was prepared to make to keep everything moving. (It's telling that the few puzzle areas, in which Clank is tasked with fixing dimensional irregularities, are fully skippable.) The result is one of the sprightliest blockbusters since Insomniac's own Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and a lesson in pacing from which Sony's forthcoming PS5 big guns would do well to learn. Sure, you might find it starting to slip from memory even as the credits are rolling, but in the moment? For the most part, it's rather riveting."

Sounds like a 7.

This reads like a conspiracy theory. No evidence and narratives like Nintendo preference based solely on review score numbers. It's pretty easy to ascertain if reviews are read on why certain Nintendo games (not all get great scores!) and it's because of creativity, good gameplay, innovation, and clarity. EDGE aren't alone in praising some Nintendo games like this, critics, forums like here, and developers themselves will often praise those same games for their excellent gameplay and creativity.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm four hours into Rift Apart and it's great, but it is just more Ratchet and Clank so far. It looks incredible - seriously, the prettiest game I've ever seen when firing on all cylinders - and it plays like a dream. But, so far at least, it is exactly what you'd expect.

I enjoy it in the moment, but it's not got its hooks in me yet. But we knew what it was going to be, didn't we? I don't think anyone looked at Rift Apart prerelease and thought it was going to drastically redefine what the series is about.

I think a 7/10 is completely fair based on what you want out of the experience. However, I will echo criticisms of the script, it all feels a bit weightless and hit-or-miss. The pacing is excellent, but it comes at a cost... or at least it feels that way to me.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Platform Warring over a Series of Posts and Threads; Prior Bans for Platform Wars
This reads like a conspiracy theory. No evidence and narratives like Nintendo preference based solely on review score numbers. It's pretty easy to ascertain if reviews are read on why certain Nintendo games (not all get great scores!) and it's because of creativity, good gameplay, innovation, and clarity. EDGE aren't alone in praising some Nintendo games like this, critics, forums like here, and developers themselves will often praise those same games for their excellent gameplay and creativity.

I don't think it's fair to call results derived from factual analysis without bias or contradiction a conspiracy.

Obviously if you read the reviews it would explain why said games were given the scores they were given, that goes without saying, but that doesn't take away from the fact that with all first party reviews in that period of time assessed, Edge on average fairly closely matched the international aggregate and consensus with only Nintendo games, but not with other platforms or with multi-platform games.

The only conclusion to draw from that is that Edge editors do indeed tend to have a preference for Nintendo games, and are conversely on average harsher with other platforms (notably Sony ones which see the largest deviation from aggregate scoring on average), and there's nothing inherently wrong with that either (though it is surprising to see such a leaning site wide).

There's no other explanation really (beyond semantics in arguing all other journalists around the world rate Microsoft and Sony games too highly), since the volume of first party titles in that statistical analysis exceeds a number that is realistically within margins for error or coincidence, and we do know that different platforms do sometimes tend to specialise or focus on different styles of games.

On your point about creativity and innovation, well that's largely subjective isn't it. Outside of a few rare examples (eg BotW) I actually personally find many Nintendo games/sequels to still be mostly iterative in nature, with similar degrees of familiarity and franchise repetition as many other sequels etc, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, or something to necessarily penalise either, as subjectively speaking I usually preference excellent execution over innovation.

Again, perception of iterative changes in different sequels is going to be subjective, eg to some the added rift/dimension swap, puzzle, traversal, set piece, DualSense feedback and mobility changes in Rift Apart will seem like tangible new additions that keep things feeling fresh, engaging and fun, iterating enough within the scope of sequels, whilst to others they may not be as noteworthy or stand out.

As I've never played any other game with as comprehensive dimension or world swapping as Rift Apart (I don't think there is another?), coupled with the other aforementioned changes and incredible DualSense feedback, to me these changes do feel Innovative and noteworthy, quite ground breaking too. Quite literally not even possible on past-gen hardware according to the devs.

I do agree that they don't lean into these things too heavily, but I imagine that's largely due to time and budget constraints than anything else (having constant world/dimension shifts would no doubt be hella expensive and complex). For me they implement them enough to keep things exciting and feeling like an important or integral facet of the game, instead of feeling like a novelty.

Last edited:

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Literally who cares about whether a magazine scores games from one publisher more closely to the Metacritic average than another publisher. There's no meaningful discussion to be had from it because you're misguidedly trying to derive some kind of objective truth from subjective numbers given by completely different people over the course of several years.

The only reason one would bring it up would be a transparent attempt to undermine future reviews from that outlet on said platform. Even if EDGE does generally score Nintendo games closer to the Metacritic average, what does it actually matter? Their thoughts are more aligned with the majority when it comes to Nintendo games than with Microsoft or Sony games....and?

If you really wanted to, you could argue that other outlets are more seduced by the sky-high production values and polish of Sony exclusives. People will push whatever agenda they want out of this and it really is just futile.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
On the one hand, I think Edge's review captures what I figured about Rift Apart: it's gorgeous, but it's also an iteration rather than a revolution, and all the froth about generations and last year's hype trains about SSD specs et al were only ever part of the picture, because fundamentally games are fucking conservative, across the Sony and MS portfolios at least 80% of the time (and Nintendo is too, in its own way), and all the flashy tech and theoretical uses don't magically transform into radically new game design overnight because someone said 'we believe in generations'.

On the other hand, if you enjoy it, who the fuck cares? I've played 2016 R&C and didn't particularly enjoy it or dislike it, but kudos to those who love RA, that's fundamentally what matters, right?

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally who cares about whether a magazine scores games from one publisher more closely to the Metacritic average than another publisher. There's no meaningful discussion to be had from it because you're misguidedly trying to derive some kind of objective truth from subjective numbers given by completely different people over the course of several years.

The only reason one would bring it up would be a transparent attempt to undermine future reviews from that outlet on said platform. Even if EDGE does generally score Nintendo games closer to the Metacritic average, what does it actually matter? Their thoughts are more aligned with the majority when it comes to Nintendo games than with Microsoft or Sony games....and?

If you really wanted to, you could argue that other outlets are more seduced by the sky-high production values and polish of Sony exclusives. People will push whatever agenda they want out of this and it really is just futile.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with your last point, since there have been many less polished or ultra flashy big and small games that have still garnered a lot of critical acclaim (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Celeste etc), and many highly expensive, beautiful and big production games that have been critically slated, but I do think you bring up another interesting point of discussion, which is around production values, visuals and though not mentioned, story.

I personally greatly value all of the above, as I feel they can have a tangibly additive and positive impact to a gaming experience, especially as gaming is still an inherently visual medium. Eg the mechanics and all things related, are still communicated visually.

Take a strategy game for example, such a game could absolutely be elevated by having better visuals, lighting (for dynamic ToD, night time battles etc), better animations, soft body destruction physics and deformation, better AI and so on.

I'm not suggesting games need to have said level of polish, but it can certainly help. Hell, it's one of the reasons we even have new generations of consoles, to continually push what is possible technically and artistically.

It also isn't like these things guarantee a better reception or more acclaim mind you, see Anthem, The Order 1886, Days Gone, Quantum Break, Mafia III, Mad Max etc (two of these being Sony exclusives). These are all high production value AAAA cinematic games, but still faltered critically nonetheless, so I don't think it's fair to say journalists are easily swayed or seduced by production values alone.

Factual analysis would be measuring facts, not opinions and reviews.

Those opinions are given a numerical score, and that score is indeed a matter of fact. Obviously we can have a discussion about the importance and relevance of scores (some people think they're meaningless, some don't), but Edge clearly still see's value in them, else they wouldn't give or use them.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
1. Reviews are just opinions, and should be taken as such.
2. Given what people think of reviews and how much they matter, unfortunately, a 7 seems ridiculous. It's super polished and super fun and super well made, incredible sound design and music. It reminds me of the 6 for Village. I mean...really? 6? Calling it an iteration shouldn't matter if that was their goal and it's super well made and super fun.
3. I like reading Edge.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't this at least partly down to most game reviews using a 10- or even 100-point scale, whereas almost all movie and music reviews are out of 5? 4/5 is a great review for a movie or album but mapped to that scale it's 'only' 80, or even 61 at the lower end, which is a review score that will lead to meltdowns if given to a high profile game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this at least partly down to most game reviews using a 10- or even 100-point scale, whereas almost all movie and music reviews are out of 5? 4/5 is a great review for a movie or album but mapped to that scale it's 'only' 80, or even 61 at the lower end, which is a review score that will lead to meltdowns if given to a high profile game.
hm... that's a good point, i didn't think of that. i still think tho that regardless of scale game critics are less harsh when reviewing games compared to music/film critics.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't think it's fair to call results derived from factual analysis without bias or contradiction a conspiracy.
You make the mistake in thinking basing it on numbers means it's the only possible truth aka factual analysis. It doesn't work that way, because there can be different causes. Numbers can lie and can be biased, because your bias here is that you start with a platform holder (Nintendo) and measure the numbers from there.
You could've done the same with First Person Shooters, and I'm quite certain that you would find that Edge gives lower scores to FPS games compared to metacritic for example.

Correlating that Nintendo has less FPS games compared to other platforms, you could have another explanation then "they are biased towards nintendo games".

People who think numbers are always right, are the same who write articles for newspapers that say "drinking red wine makes you get older", not taking into account that people who drink red wine might be wealthier, have better healthcare etc. It's not the red wine, it's other factors.