• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
71 at MC (not really 9s) and people are finally starting to talk about that problematic story and ending. Plus really long list of problems people have with it but i wont lose any more time on this.

It is divisive. A bad game is low scores across the board. Even at 71, the game is not bad, that's considered above average. Sorry you didn't like it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Even at 71, the game is not bad, that's considered above average.
I don't have the exact average on me (I think Open/Meta used to have it), but at least eyeballing for 2020, 71 is slightly under the average. Few games score lower than 60. It's not the same as movie reviews, the scale is almost entirely 6 to 10. Only 29 out of 753 games on Metacritic scored less than 50.

Oct 27, 2017
Hitman 3 absolutely deserves it.
I'm still playing it to the point that my girlfriend is asking how I'm still playing it so much.
Definitely the game to beat for me this year and will certainly end up on my list

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
Fair score for The Medium. In my opinion, the only redeeming qualities of the game are the well-recreated atmosphere and the amazing soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka & Arkadiusz Reikowski, everything else is a bit shit and goes from mediocre to bad. To think that the Bloober Team may be developing a new Silent Hill is... disconcerting. 😕

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fair score for The Medium. In my opinion, the only redeeming qualities of the game are the well-recreated atmosphere and the amazing soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka & Arkadiusz Reikowski, everything else is a bit shit and goes from mediocre to bad. To think that the Bloober Team may be developing a new Silent Hill is... disconcerting. 😕

They are a very small team with around 8 million budget for The Medium. They are talented, but they cant create miracles either. For a SH game, they would need to expand and obviously a financial injection.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Why was P5S so low? It's seemed to average mid-high 80s
Remember Edge uses the whole 1-10 scale. Honestly 6 is more than appropriate for P5S, and I say that as a Persona fan.

Even with all the additions to the formula, it still is a Dynasty game at its core. I'd say take with a grain of salt every hyperbolic glowing take you read these first days, as everyone seems to be in the honeymoon phase.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. My experience with The Medium has been pretty miserable to be honest. Starting with a gamebreaking bug during one of the puzzles (if you interact with the chairs first in the conference room puzzle, your playthrough is fucked.) Such a fucking remedial error on the developers part that they really aren't a safe pair of hands to handle a franchise like Silent Hill.
I restarted the game and have now encountered several crashes in the section with the tenticles in the garden. Whats funny is that every time I restart, the character says to themselves, "This is getting tedious!" So true.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the edge app has all back digital issues dating back to 2009 on sale for 64 CDN (50 USD), 90% off. Really struggling to find a reason not to do this lol

Necron

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Man, the edge app has all back digital issues dating back to 2009 on sale for 64 CDN (50 USD), 90% off. Really struggling to find a reason not to do this lol
I did something similar on PocketMags when they also had a sale and every issue was only like €0.99.

Still haven't read through them all...

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
On point scores for Hitman 3 and Little Nightmares 2.

Surprised to see they scored The Medium so high.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Y'all better get Olija. It's a cinematic action-platformer, so it sports that kind of storytelling but the character is more responsive than you expect from the likes of Another World.

Chaos4.gif

Olija |OT| 20,000 Leagues Under the Front-Page | ResetEra

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Hitman 2 getting the lowest score of the three is a surprise; I think it's the best one. I'd go 8-9-8 for the three, not 9-8-9.

Unless you're considering 3 to encompass the entire trilogy, in which case 3 deserves the best score. Having three great games interconnected under one roof like this is amazing.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, from what i've read about Hitman 3 i would have guessed Edge would give it a lower rating 🤔

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just read the review to Gods Will Fall. Hearing how muscular the combat is and how it's not quite as difficult as other roguelites, with interesting stories about the gods, seems like a good follow-up after you're done with Hades. It's a contrast from other reviews and sounds intriguing enough to check out.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I had a good time with it but I can see why the scores have been all over the place. If you don't buy into the atmosphere and narrative, there's probably not a lot left for someone to enjoy.
Well it seems from reading the review that the narrative is the problem or at least the writing along with the execution of ideas. The more specific the game gets into the traumas and patriarchal abuse, it executes this with "lurid clichés and lumbering metaphors". Also Marianne "is a forgettable lead - alternatively maudlin and corny, with a very videogamey habit of thinking aloud". The dual world mechanic is "dull" because it's "overdependent on lock-and-key puzzles", but the main praise is for the environments. Although "the perspectives hinder navigation, leaving you fumbling around in the murk for interaction prompts".

"Bloober has missed something fundamental about Silent Hill's dimensional split, which existed more for the sake of narrative than puzzles. By foregrounding travel between dimensions as a capital-M mechanic, The Medium robs the idea of intrigue."

"It's admirable that Bloober has brought this long-nursed project to fruition, and if you're desperate for another Silent Hill, the environments may be worth a visit. All the same, this is more of an evolutionary vestige than a healthy new growth. Bloober might have done better to let it die."

😬