• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2020-01-03aoska1.jpg

reviews:
Shenmue III - 6
Death Stranding - 6
Pathologic 2 - 9
Phoenix Point - 8
Life Is Strange 2 - 5
Wattam - 7
A Plague Tale: Innocence - 8
Tangle Tower - 8
The Touryst - 7
Pistol Whip - 8

Cover - The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
Hype: Hades, Imposter Factory, West of Dead, Grounded, Drink More Glurp, and The Longing
Hype Roundup: Ghost of Tsushima, Bravely Default II, Naraka: Bladepoint, Axiom Verge 2, and Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
The Making of - Life Is Strange
Studio Profile - Tequila Works
Time Extend - Final Fantasy XIII
The Long Game - Hypnospace Outlaw

source

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Life is Strange 2 gets a 5? Damn. I thought it wasn't as memorable as the previous two games but it most definitely is not a 5 :(

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
that's higher than I thought they would give Death Stranding based on the old twitter thread.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Expected lower for Shenmue from them to be honest. Tempted to grab a copy to read the review, as while I love the game, its got quite a few issues I'd totally expect Edge to pick up on.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
reviews:
Shenmue III - 6
Death Stranding - 6
Pathologic 2 - 9
Phoenix Point - 8
Life is Strange 2 - 5
Wattam - 7
A Plague Tale: Innocence - 8
Tangle Tower - 8
The Touryst - 7
Pistol Whip - 8

Cover - Lord of the Rings: Gollum
Hype: Hades, Imposter Factory, West of Dead, Grounded, Drink More Glurp, and The Longing
Hype Roundup: Ghost of Tsushima, Bravely Default II, Naraka: Bladepoint, Axiom Verge 2, and Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
The Making of - Life is Strange
Studio Profile - Tequila Works
Time Extend - Final Fantasy XIII
The Long Game - Hypnospace Outlaw

source
Interesting. I expected a 3 from them.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I expected a lot worse.
Life is Strange 2 though, now thats a surprise.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I am playing both Shenmue 3 and DS at the same time at the moment, and while I enjoy Shenmue 3 and appreciate that it exists and what it is trying to do, I think a 6 is probably fair. To a fairly large degree I think that is to do with the budget of the project and the fact that it is pretty ambitious for an indy title.

Couldn't disagree more with DS getting the same score, but it seems Edge weren't really willing to give the game much thrift. Edge is a weird one, they low ball some stuff (particularly Rockstar games), but high ball others.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about their DS review.

Like EDGE is a very gameplay/design oriented reviewer. If they didn't like the very gameplay focused first part of the game based on their twitter thread, I imagined their score would've PLUMMETED with the batshit cutscene-filled ending stretch of the game. Instead it's higher than expected

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was I in an alternate universe when Lord of the Rings: Gollum was announced back in March or something because that game is completely new to me

Also LiS2 deserves higher but I get it

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Couldn't disagree more with DS getting the same score, but it seems Edge were on the hate train on that one for a while.
Or maybe they just didn't enjoy it as much as you. I've put about 5 hours into DS so far and I think a 6 is about right for what I've played. I've certainly not felt the need to go back to it over Christmas.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
What I'm more surprised about is the existence of a Lord of Rings game staring Gollum. Completely missed that announcement!
Had to check and it's made by Daedalic. Very cool, can't wait to see the details

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Looking back at their old scoring system:
1 – disastrous
2 – appalling
3 – severely flawed
4 – disappointing
5 – average
6 – competent
7 – distinguished
8 – excellent
9 – astounding
10 – revolutionary
The game is on par with the mixed criticism.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
yay plague tale. boo death stranding ( i kno the dude dint enjoy it from that one thread heh)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Or maybe they just didn't enjoy it as much as you. I've put about 5 hours into DS so far and I think a 6 is about right for what I've played. I've certainly not felt the need to go back to it over Christmas.

I mean that is fine...this is our preferences. But then if I gave my personal rating a lot of games would be rated a substantially lower than they critically acclaim. RDR2 and Jedi fallen order for instance come to mind recently. I feel that DS does a lot of things that other games don't do, and comes in an incredible audio visual package. My argument would be that 6 is too low, although obviously they are entitled to their opinion. A 7 for someone who it didn't click with seems much more reasonable to me, but then I suppose it is good to have opposing opinions, because it gives those looking to purchase more to go on.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I mean that is fine...this is our preferences. But then if I gave my personal rating a lot of games would be rated a substantially lower than they critically acclaim. RDR2 and Jedi fallen order for instance come to mind recently. I feel that DS does a lot of things that other games don't do, and comes in an incredible audio visual package. My argument would be that 6 is too low, although obviously they are entitled to their opinion. A 7 for someone who it didn't click with seems much more reasonable to me, but then I suppose it is good to have opposing opinions, because it gives those looking to purchase more to go on.
Reviewing games because of what you think they should get as opposed to what you think they deserve is a bit bonkers. Reviews can only be based on your opinion.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Did they give out their GOTY award?

I'd assume it would be Sekiro considering their love for From Software.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Solid and well deserved score for Pistol Whip, glad it's getting it's due recognition, one of the best games this year.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
9 for pathologic 2, that game isn't even really on my radar... Anyone given it a shot, is it worth playing for someone who's not overly into survival mechanics but loves horror?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it's nice to see Pistol Whip get a score.
ideally when more people get VR headsets in 2020 more people will play the John Wick Rhythm simulator :P

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
9 for pathologic 2, that game isn't even really on my radar... Anyone given it a shot, is it worth playing for someone who's not overly into survival mechanics but loves horror?
I did. I wandered around for a while then got killed randomly without knowing really what I was supposed to be doing.
I didn't really like it. But I also feel I was missing something.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Pathologic 2 seems really like one of those love it or hate it games. Wasn't expecting it to get such a high score. Kudos to Ice Pick Lodge (the devs). Seems like another cult classic.

EDIT: RE: Death Stranding - maybe the reviewer warmed up to the game after a rough start? More structures may have been built when they tried it again. Or they enjoyed the ending? Could be various factors that played into that score. Shenmue 3 got what it deserved, to be honest (it's definitely a 6/10 game).