• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
what? let's look at all the games edge has ever given a 10 to:

*list of games*

pretty much all of these are major, important innovative games that have been copied countless times and have helped move gaming as medium forward. they CLEARLY value innovation.

Honestly most of those aren't innovative or been copied countless times or helped move the medium forward. Killer games they maybe.

With that rebuttal in mind, I'd going to suggest that maybe referring to games EDGE has given a 10/10 isn't a great threshold on determining how Edge is receptive to innovative games. (Even given that the former description for their review scoreboard defined games that scored a 10 as "revolutionary.")

I'd take a random guess and assume that there are a greater quantity of innovative games Edge scored an "astounding" 9/10 (or even an "excellent" 8/10) than there are innovative games they've scored a "revolutionary" 10/10 score. With a list as small as the latter goes, you're going to end up splitting hairs on whether those games really are standalone innovative entries, or are just exemplary refinements or experiments of a formula already defined and/or explored by preceding games.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Like I stated before, Days Gone got more positive than negative reviews. Edge just happened to be one of the negatives.
That is correct.
screenshot2019-05-24ascktm.png
metacritic4hkre.png

plenty of reviews that were 7's that referred to it as "good but flawed"
That is correct, too. It's a good score.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Days Gone was reviewed by Chris Schilling right? Nothing against him, but sometimes you can almost tell someone's not going to like something well ahead of any review. I believe he recently also gave The Division 2 a 6/10. Chris's tastes seem to often be more inclined towards Nintendo esque vibrant titles, as oppose to more grounded Western cinematic stuff. For Days Gone to impress Chris I'd imagine it'd either have to lean far heavier in to the narrative side of things, or have more Japanese esque zanyness or quirkyness in its gameplay or approach.

I noticed he finds it funny or perhaps even somewhat irritating that the sales success of Days Gone is as he adds"is, in part, an acknowledgement of the seeming pointlessness of critical reviews in the face of blanket marketing. And of people's inexplicable yet enduring affection for deeply mediocre open-world gam-I'M JUST KIDDING FOLKS"

He sort of touches on it, but it isn't just blanket marketing that skews things, but people's interest in and desire for this type of game. The user meta score for Days Gone is 8.1/10, its Amazon user review scores are 4.2/5 at both Amazon UK and Amazon US. Clearly this game is resonating with gaming consumers in a bigger way than it did with many critics, and I think part of that is the fact that your average consumer doesn't play the same volume of games as the average critic, and thus the same severity of complaints about the game being too generic, unimaginative or safe or whatever don't necessarily apply.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that perhaps EDGE as an outlet has higher standards than the average #gamer and Days Gone is dull shit.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not surprised by Day's Gone, I rented it and sent it back fast, the performance was shocking. MK11 does seem harsh, sure it's overly grindy but it's a fantastic fighting game at its core.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Not surprised by Day's Gone, I rented it and sent it back fast, the performance was shocking. MK11 does seem harsh, sure it's overly grindy but it's a fantastic fighting game at its core.

The Edge review doesn't go in on the grindiness of the krypt as much as they criticize the lack of zoning and a crossover game because of the antiquated use of a block button and dial-up combos.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Edge review doesn't go in on the grindiness of the krypt as much as they criticize the lack of zoning and a crossover game because of the antiquated use of a block button and dial-up combos.
Interesting. These are some complaints fighting game fans have over the series for years and considering how consistently low MK scores for Edge, I guess this angle is pretty important to them.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Interesting. These are some complaints fighting game fans have over the series for years and considering how consistently low MK scores for Edge, I guess this angle is pretty important to them.

That was another point the review brought up that MK has had these same problems for years and they're worse now with some of what they claim are gimmicky mechanics like the x-Ray moves.

Crazy Steve

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to relax. Edge is know for its wild reviews, so low scores for big games shouldn't be a surprise to you. The majority of Days Gone's reviews on Metacritic are positive, the fans love it, the game is good and it's overperforming sales wise. A sequel is practically confirmed.
The sames goes for Mortal Kombat while setting a new franchise record sales wise.
Edge is just one magazine with one review and one opinion for each game. That's it. You can find more on metacritic. Not everybody likes the same video games.
So fans can keep being happy and the same old posters from all the other Days Gone related threads can keep acting like 7/10 is the new 0.5/10.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I like how all the sudden metacritic user reviews are all the sudden relevant again with Days Gone.

Also it's hilarious to see people lose it over a single review score, lol.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I continue to not get the critical ravaging that Days Gone has received.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Days Gone was reviewed by Chris Schilling right? Nothing against him, but sometimes you can almost tell someone's not going to like something well ahead of any review. I believe he recently also gave The Division 2 a 6/10. Chris's tastes seem to often be more inclined towards Nintendo esque vibrant titles, as oppose to more grounded Western cinematic stuff. For Days Gone to impress Chris I'd imagine it'd either have to lean far heavier in to the narrative side of things, or have more Japanese esque zanyness or quirkyness in its gameplay or approach.

I noticed he finds it funny or perhaps even somewhat irritating that the sales success of Days Gone is as he adds"is, in part, an acknowledgement of the seeming pointlessness of critical reviews in the face of blanket marketing. And of people's inexplicable yet enduring affection for deeply mediocre open-world gam-I'M JUST KIDDING FOLKS"

He sort of touches on it, but it isn't just blanket marketing that skews things, but people's interest in and desire for this type of game. The user meta score for Days Gone is 8.1/10, its Amazon user review scores are 4.2/5 at both Amazon UK and Amazon US. Clearly this game is resonating with gaming consumers in a bigger way than it did with many critics, and I think part of that is the fact that your average consumer doesn't play the same volume of games as the average critic, and thus the same severity of complaints about the game being too generic, unimaginative or safe or whatever don't necessarily apply.

is that extract for real? wow...

i'm not discussing the score but that line has no space in a professional review even if it was "joke" (and we all know that is not a joke)

at least take example from the gamespot reviewer who save his hate boner for easy clicks on twitter.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
is that extract for real? wow...

i'm not discussing the score but that line has no space in a professional review even if it was "joke" (and we all know that is not a joke)

at least take example from the gamespot reviewer who save his hate boner for easy clicks on twitter.

It wasn't from the review, but his social media reaction to news of Days Gone strong sales.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Anyone who seriously rates MK11 a 5 is talking complete shite.

I've only played it at my mates house for a couple hours but the gameplay is fantastic.

Days gone a 5 is rubbish as well judging from people who have played the game
Why should your opinion matter to me more than the reviewer's?

Also lol at "judging from people who have played the game". The reviewer happens to be one of those people too.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
5 to days gone, lmao. Edge is irrelevant anyway .

Edge is more relevant than ever to me; away from the 'influencer/ sponsored advert bullshit and it gives me long-form writing about videogames. Long may it live.

And Days Gone has Edge 5 all over it (I thought it was heading for a 4, so it did well) but Edge reviews very often don't align with mine - to the point where many of my favourite games have been Edge 4/5/6s. An Edge 6 to me is 'check this one out!'

What's the purpose of a forum then?

Imagine walking into a pub, going up to a full table and blaring 'IRRELEVANT!' through your pipe-horn like a shit Dalek just as you're doing here, how do you think that would go down? Would you be welcomed to pull up your wheels and keep going?

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Days Gone was reviewed by Chris Schilling right? Nothing against him, but sometimes you can almost tell someone's not going to like something well ahead of any review. I believe he recently also gave The Division 2 a 6/10.

both legit scores, i would also give Division 2 a 6, don´t even know where the high reviews came from, the game has massive(ha!) problems. and Days Gone can be anything from 5-9, depending on subjective taste. there is no outstanding thing to this game other than the hordes which are introduced too late into the story.

My theory is that perhaps EDGE as an outlet has higher standards than the average #gamer and Days Gone is dull shit.

ding, we have a winner

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'd hazard a guess a nonsignificant number of the people who buy zombie games do in fact buy a large amount of other zombie games. Much like the people who buy yearly installments of CoD and FIFA the fact that it is safe and derivative is kind of the point, as these people are not interested in games as novel experiences.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I'd hazard a guess a nonsignificant number of the people who buy zombie games do in fact buy a large amount of other zombie games. Much like the people who buy yearly installments of CoD and FIFA the fact that it is safe and derivative is kind of the point, as these people are not interested in games as novel experiences.

are there really "only zombie games gamer" though? i for one loved Zombie Army Trilogy but i didn´t ran out to buy all other zombie games to get my zombie fix or something like that. there are strictly CoD or FIFA gamers though that don´t play anything else than those games.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
are there really "only zombie games gamer" though? i for one loved Zombie Army Trilogy but i didn´t ran out to buy all other zombie games to get my zombie fix or something like that. there are strictly CoD or FIFA gamers though that don´t play anything else than those games.
No I don't think there are zombie only gamers, but at least gamers who bought a number of zombie games already, but don't go "ugh zombies again" at the announcement of another one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I think this encapsulates the problem with most review outlets.

"7/10, would not recommend."

???
exactly. a lot of reviews are 7+ and considered positive by metacritic, but then you read them and see the reviewer had a pretty low opinion of the game and didn't have a lot of fun with it, but then gave it a 7 anyway cuz 6 or lower implies it's just terrible.

yeah pretty much

FFObsessed

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd throw it the opposite way as well, people dismissing games or developers based on a numerical score. It is unfortunate the power scores have in the game industry, all around.

I think this is what annoys people the most. Not that some website or magazine gave something a bad review but that people deliberately using it to dismiss something thats actually good.

You could always test that theory by playing it yourself. Personally, I dont like most open world games that arent RPGs. They are usually dull for me. Ubisoft games, Mad Max, RDR. Im enjoying Days Gone a lot more than those and it has some of the best non-scripted "open world moments" I've experienced.

- Riding along, get knocked off bike by wolves. Kill them. Attracts a few swarmers. Kill them. Large group comes over the hill. Leg it to a nearby bandit camp and let the swarm wipe out the enemies while you hide in a dumpster.

- Ride along. Find a group of people fighting off some swarmers. Stop to help kill them. Turns out they're bandits and attack you. Run to nearby cave as out of ammo. Find it contains a horde. Leave quickly! Step outside to find a bear has killed the last bandit. Horde engulfs and tears bear apart while I run to the bike and ride away.

Not to mention when you're sneaking through an abandoned town with bandits fighting off the swarmers, its pure The Last of Us.

Yes it has flaws, the first half of the game is very slow and the missions are basic until it kicks off later, I can understand people not liking it or games like it, but if people are interested in it, give a shot and dont be put off. When you dont fast travel everywhere you see how special the open world is. Days Gone is gonna get quite a few GOTY nominations from people here Im sure.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm surprised you typed all this hogwash without even pointing out the obvious that he worked at Official Nintendo Magazine for a while. That's much more solid basis for your tirade than an obvious out of context joke tweet y'know.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought Edge used the whole numbered scale for reviews, where 1 is considered abysmal and 10 being outstanding, and 5 is simply average.

The score represents something that is serviceable, it's not bad, but at the same time it does not stand out from other titles in the genre. The idea that is getting 'ravaged' by the publication seems beyond dumb to me.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty ridiculous. The block button is pretty valuable and important in MK, and just because it's different from other FGs doesn't mean it's bad. Lack of zoning? I'm guessing they haven't played any of the top tiers. Perhaps they should have got someone who is actually experienced in fighting games to review the game.