• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I love that it's become a monthly tradition to come here and laugh at people butt hurt over Edge's review scores.

May the fun continue for many years. See you next month!

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
"Oddly, for a game so obsessed with death in all its grisly form, poor execution of decent ideas"

What does that even mean? What does excellent gore have anything to do with execution of ideas?
It's a play on the idea of executions being both a manner of killing someone (and prevalent in the game) and the manner in which something is implemented. It's a wordplay segue.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The conclusion is baffling and an understanding of it will make little difference.
You want to know why the conclusion is baffling? It's because the conclusion is literally all you read.

Look, I'm not saying that you have to agree with their stance. However, you're never going to get the entire story from the conclusion. Those are written with the expectation that the reader has already read the main text.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Embarrassing thread - will the Prime Minister tell the people of Scotland that low grade, drive by posts because a platform exclusive game scored poorly - by a notorious grader no less - are not welcome in this House.
Not a fuckin' word or hype about any of the features. I'd love to read more about Tetris Effect so I'll be picking that up for sure.

You jumped to the reason being a platform exclusive? What about MK's score?
Is that not being put into question too?

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually having read/watched/played what you're criticizing makes a difference. But from this post it's clear you just want to complain about review scores and nothing else.

How well done or creative are the fatalities, could be one of the things the reviewers is talking about, MKX has plenty that are pretty boring.
I think if you're so adamant about this, then you should subscribe, scan the magazine and show us the reviews.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best controlling MK game ever gets a 5 because of Krypt issues that got fixed? Game journos suck at reviewing fighting games. If Third Strike came out today, I guarantee you it would be getting 6's and 7's for "lack of content" even though it has arguably the best fighting system ever made.
I mean... So? It's one person's opinion. It doesn't have to match your own, nor is it the gospel.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
People complaining earlier in the week about why does the UK get a sales thread every week. A British magazine simultaneously being the only opinion worth agreeing with/not worth listening to. Points taken off an already piss poor score in the Eurovision.

Confusing time being a Brit lately!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I automatically disregard all reviews unless I know a lot about the individual writing them.

Incidentally I don't need to read the reasoning to know that I'll never agree that Days Gone and MK11 are of similar quality to Anthem, and furthermore find it pretty beyond the pale
It's rather sad you're only saying this because a game you like got a lower score then you anticapted.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know that One Finger Death Punch 2 was out, is it also coming to consoles?
yes
https://www.destructoid.com/one-fin...f-no-one-finds-them-that-s-okay--528775.phtml
Flook says One Finger Death Punch 2 is "pretty much 90% done," with a PC release date set for April. "Maybe" a month or so after that Xbox and Switch will follow, with PS4 at some point in the future. When asked about specifics on the delayed timing, Flook mentioned that limited resources played a factor: "we can't get it on everything that quickly with a team of our size."

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I haven't read this the review but is this a joke or something that happened?
It's a joke. Some "fans" were upset with MK11 for not showing enough skin.

I expect the complaints in EDGE are regarding the progression/unlocking system, which is a massive grind. I would argue that the rest is good enough to warrant a noteably higher score, but to each their own.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I automatically disregard all reviews unless I know a lot about the individual writing them.

Incidentally I don't need to read the reasoning to know that I'll never agree that Days Gone and MK11 are of similar quality to Anthem, and furthermore find it pretty beyond the pale

This is exactly the kind of Youtube comment rhetoric I was talking about earlier. The base dismissal of entire swathes of people simply because of a pre-conceived notion of who you believe them to be.
Best controlling MK game ever gets a 5 because of Krypt issues that got fixed? Game journos suck at reviewing fighting games. If Third Strike came out today, I guarantee you it would be getting 6's and 7's for "lack of content" even though it has arguably the best fighting system ever made.

If fighting games wish to present themselves to an audience outside of a certain niche then they open them up to opinions from people who don't automatically think a game can rely on it's fighting system whilst having poor everything else. And, really, most people don't play fighting games for the nuances of their 'fighting systems'. I know I didn't buy MK11 for that (I've yet to really get into it but so far the tutorial is amazing).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could write at length about why I think review outlets in particular have a pattern of bizarre/uninformed opinions relative to youtubers, but I never said that all review outlets are the same, or that the writers aren't individual human beings. I'm not sure why this keeps happening. Again, since I never said that, I'm not sure how to respond to your response.
please do, cuz otherwise your argument makes 0 sense.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, fairly recent Edge subscriber here ✋. I can talk from experience and say Edge is a great magazine full of quality writing and, dare I say, opinions. Sorry if that sometimes applies to your fighting game.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke. Some "fans" were upset with MK11 for not showing enough skin.

I expect the complaints in EDGE are regarding the progression/unlocking system, which is a massive grind. I would argue that the rest is good enough to warrant a noteably higher score, but to each their own.
Ah I see.

As much as I dislike the game due to Ronda Rousey or the greedy elements in the game, I am glad this is the one thing that destroyed their narrative. The character designs for the female characters are the best in the series.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Buy a digital copy and copy and paste?

Though that will be hard if people don't want to give them money.

You should really, really stop encouraging people to break the rules and screw these people out of their income dude. They deserve their money regardless of what you think I'm afraid, you're only embarrassing yourself here.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Lack if content" rarely factors into an EDGE score, which is how a game like ARMS received a 9. Incessant grinding for content can sometimes ding a game's score though.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, far more people seem upset by the Days Gone score than MK11.

And I would probably be a little bummed at first too considering I have a tiny bit of interest in the game and I'm rooting for Sony Bend, but at the end of the day it is just one magazine's review.

What sets me off is when the points being made in the review are disingenuous.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should really, really stop encouraging people to break the rules and screw these people out of their income dude. They deserve their money regardless of what you think I'm afraid, you're only embarrassing yourself here.
Copy pasting one review is hardly "screwing people out of their income", and the argument here seems to be that you must be a subscriber to adequately criticize their reviews which is baffling.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think if you're so adamant about this, then you should subscribe, scan the magazine and show us the reviews.
lol, not even gonna bother explaining why what you're asking is ridiculous. You're just using the fact that this magazine is paid to deflect criticism, not like if it was free would make any difference, this thread would look exactly the same and so would your posts.

Not even gonna bother answering you anymore, if you're going to act like that.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Yea, lets compare days gone to citizen kane and fury road

If days gone was not a sony first party game no-one would have any problems with these scores. By all accounts it is an ugly, clunky, buggy disaster of a game with terrible gameplay and a laughable story

Looked through your post history. This game is by no means a masterpiece, but basically no professional or player review has come to this conclusion.

Not even the EDGE review. 5 isn't that low for them. I don't even have to read their review to know you're spouting hateful fanboyish hyperbole. Did Days Gone (and other Sony games) kill your family?

It's also obvious you didn't play the games you're crapping on.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
About MK11 score. It feels that they are trying to be controversial to gather attention, the game is fantastic.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
The magazine is on readly if anyone wants to read it, iirc it has a free trial if anyone is adamant about not paying.

edit, not free, but 99p/c for the first month.

edit edit, not there yet but should pop up soon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Copy pasting one review is hardly "screwing people out of their income", and the argument here seems to be that you must be a subscriber to adequately criticize their reviews which is baffling.
You can buy issues individually.

Like watching a film or playing a game you have to suck it up, pay an entry fee and watch/play/read the damn thing before adequately criticising it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That brings up he question though of why even have this thread in the first place if people aren't supposed to respond to the information in it.
I disagree with the premise that only "this outlet is not credible because a score is lower than I'd want it to be" type responses are possible.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone score seems about right.
If only more review outlets used the whole point scale, i doubt we'd have the shock and awe like usual.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
People complaining earlier in the week about why does the UK get a sales thread every week. A British magazine simultaneously being the only opinion worth agreeing with/not worth listening to. Points taken off an already piss poor score in the Eurovision.

Confusing time being a Brit lately!

Quiet we need to keep whatever relevance we have left going forward.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
For the record, this used to be the breakdown for their scores (they don't provide it anymore)

1 – disastrous
2 – appalling
3 – severely flawed
4 – disappointing
5 – average
6 – competent
7 – distinguished
8 – excellent
9 – astounding
10 – revolutionary