• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
switched on my PSVR after many months specifically to try Astro Bot and no..... just like the demo when PSVR came out, this still makes me feel ill when you move into the screen.

sadly, still not many good games for this system.
  1. Tetris Effect
  2. Astro Bot
even worse for Sony when the above are considered better than Spider-Man and God of War

What the hell are you talking about? Yes, it's terrible for Sony that they had God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit, Astrobot, and Tetris Effect as exclusives this year; and that the latter two were so good that Edge considers them the best of PS4's 2018 exclusives list. Also, have you seen their Meta scores? How is it a bad thing at all to have them on the Top 3 list?

Also, Astrobot making YOU feel ill means absolutely nothing about its actual quality. It has a 90 on MC and is considered a masterpiece (by me too). Sorry you are missing out on another awesome PSVR game.

It's funny because my Xbox list would be just

1. Forza Horizon 4

State of Decay 2 and Sea Thieves both don't belong on GOTY lists. Putrid year for Xbox exclusives.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
man tetris effect has me really intrigued but i can't see myself spending 40 bucks for it. i mean at the end of the day it's still tetris right?

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 on the other hand is the most overrated game I've played in years, even Fallout 76 is way more enjoyable than that.
ydcNVWL.gif

Apr 10, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and a continued pattern of vilifying journalism; account still in junior phase

Well we're talking about GAMES, right? To me and my friends RDR2 was most enjoyable when you didn't have to play it yourself. And even then, it got boring after half an hour.

To be honest I agree but I wouldn't write something like this on a forum so everyone can see.

lol, I'm just making a point with the most extreme example. EDGE deserves to be shut down at this point, ignoring God Of War and Spiderman is a complete joke - but not even close to the worst ones they've made over the years

Nov 30, 2017
Good to see something from Edge once in a while to remind myself why I'll never go there.

I'm actually shocked about gamepass as a game and RDR2 getting overall GOTY.

And picking games that are multiplatform is weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Well we're talking about GAMES, right? To me and my friends RDR2 was most enjoyable when you didn't have to play it yourself. And even then, it got boring after half an hour.
We are talking about games, yeah.
But fair enough mate, we all have our tastes lol.
Even after 2 playthroughs I'm still having a blast with RDR2.

lol, I'm just making a point with the most extreme example. EDGE deserves to be shut down at this point, ignoring God Of War and Spiderman is a complete joke - but not even close to the worst ones they've made over the years

Dear Lord...

Good to see something from Edge once in a while to remind myself why I'll never go there.

I'm actually shocked about gamepass as a game and RDR2 getting overall GOTY.

And picking games that are multiplatform is weird.
What's shocking about RDR2 getting another GOTY? It's not like this is the first.
Weird ass takes when it comes to this game, I swear...

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I think we should all agree that Game Pass is the best game on those lists and deserved the win over both RDR2 and GoW. I for one can't wait to pre-order the sequel!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
On one hand, Astro Bot and Tetris getting that much recognition is so good to see. Very happy about that.

On the other hand, the silly decision to put "Game Pass" as the #3 best Xbox game of the year is basically Edge saying, "Look how cute we are."

On the other hand, and I realize I shouldn't have gone with the "hand" thing at this point, God of War not making a top 10 "best of 2018" list is absolutely laughable.

pixiedung

Oct 30, 2017
This list is certainly the closest to how things shook out for me at years end.
RD2 where it absolutely belongs and Pillars 2 on there as well. Good stuff!

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Rockstar the second best studio after what we learned about how it treats it's employee's?

Nov 30, 2017

Dear Lord...

What's shocking about RDR2 getting another GOTY? It's not like this is the first.

Nothing at all

Dear Lord...

After looking at the list again I see it's in 4 of their categories. I initially only saw 2 categories, which is why I thought it was weird.

So if that's their GOTY than that's it.

No ones choices have ever affected my own.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
You're right that isn't the full sample size. You made sure to leave out posts where I've said I'm glad that games like Celeste, Spider-Man, and Tetris Effect have all won GOTY awards. But hey it's easy to be choosy with what you copy and paste when you want to spin something.

I...uh, what? Is this a joke response? Nobody here will read my post and think I was trying to spin anything. Anyone can look at your post history and determine that my post doesn't even scratch the surface. Just because you have tried to be more varied and less transparant after you were recently banned back to back doesn't change anything.

Lol. That is your clap back? Really?

Roasted.

Seriously, it's like he just put a bunch of shit together in an attempt to defend himself but didn't fully think it though, lol.

This really doesn't contradict what that other user said at all. I also don't think anyone needed to be informed or is surprised even that you like Spider-Man for example.

Exactly, thank you. Also, the latter of your post sums it up quite well.

I prefer to stay on topic. I'm not here to get into some off topic argument. This one is about Edge not about posts from several other threads that are taken out of context.

1) Again, there is nobody in this forum will look at my post and think I took things out of context. Why make shit up?

2) You talk about being on topic but there are dozens of posters in here quoting you for saying childish things such as, but not limited to downplaying the OP because other media have GoW on their top 10, and Edge doesn't. What does other media have to do with this Edge and their staff opinions?

Again, we're not stupid.

How and where is F76 broken or bad? It's fully playable from start to finish, I've rarely encountered any bugs and the gameplay is much more diverse and fluid than RDR2 could ever be. Also on PC on highest settings it actually looks amazing, you guys were just brainwashed by wannabe-journalists. (but of course, I wouldn't really recommend the game on console, Bethesda games should be played on PC)

He hasn't played F76 and admitted so. He is just trying to divert attention away from the above posts by me and other people, ironically by going off-topic about how "trash" F76 is despite saying he prefers to stay on topic.

That said, I don't think F76 belongs in a top 10 list, personally. There are plenty of knee jerk negative reactions here about the game, though; that I agree on. It has quite a fanbase, especially on PC. But, you are entitled to your own opinion, of course.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Tetris Effect
  3. Return of the Obra Dinn
  4. Into The Breach
  5. Astro Bot
  6. Hollow Knight
  7. Monster Hunter World
  8. Smash Bros Ultimate
  9. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadline
  10. The Banner Saga 3
These guys must be high or something, never have I seen such a strange collection of GOTY picks without even mentioning the real GOTY's. You're telling me all of these games are better than God of War, Assasins's Creed Odyssey or Black Ops? RDR2 on the other hand is the most overrated game I've played in years, even Fallout 76 is way more enjoyable than that.

OqRWm22.gif

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
What's your source? You have that info wrong. This is from an specific Wikipedia article listing its many awards. There you'll find several references to EDGE choosing GTA V back then, even the exact date when it got published. Here's another link, including other magazines, and finally, a link to the same GOTY blog the whole community's been
using as reference for years.
Whoops, for years I thought they gave it to TLOU. Let's see if I can edit my earlier post.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Less than 10k in Japan.
Didn't chart in most EU countries.
PSVR HW decreased in the UK when Astrobot launched.
Top 10 VR titles in the US, but out of the top 10 "regular" PS4 titles chart.

First thing that popped up for me was a reddit post that it had been holding it's own against regular ps4 games for weeks. UK.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

It was also the best seller on psn psvr for US and EU for October. Not sure where you found those Japan numbers, but many games don't sell there anymore.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018
lmao at all the 4/10 meme reactions, you guys seriously think one of the biggest gaming websites should post one of the worst GOTY lists possible? These guys care even less about gaming than we do, they just do this shit for the clicks - they actually thought "let's call Game Pass a GOTY contender", which alone invalidates this list completely.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
lmao at all the 4/10 meme reactions, you guys seriously think one of the biggest gaming websites should post one of the worst GOTY lists possible? These guys care even less about gaming than we do, they just do this shit for the clicks - they actually thought "let's call Game Pass a GOTY contender", which alone invalidates this list completely.

Edge isn't a website though.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

I like the list. God of War wouldn't make my top 10 , either.

Oct 25, 2017
This is pathetic af. Man I should leave the Gaming section for good, for real.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that all that came out of this in the end? Kinda stopped following this story after the initial outrage.

Somewhat. Rockstar definitely has issues with crunch but so does most every other big developer. Several current and former employees came forward. Some said it was a horrible experience working there, others said it was fine. The whole 100 hours a week thing though was just something blown up by people who only read part of a quote and ignore everything else that goes with it and all context.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
having a normal one

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
This top 10 doesn't really represent my personal top 10, but I respect their opinion. It's their top 10 afterall.

And anyways all of those games are great, I can't see what the fuss is about. It's a subjective list, just like any other. Why are some people so invested about such an insignificant thing that is the GOTY awards ? There are hundreds of them that are given every year.

And there's even that one guy who thinks EDGE deserves to be shut down. How crazy is this ?!

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhat. Rockstar definitely has issues with crunch but so does most every other big developer. Several current and former employees came forward. Some said it was a horrible experience working there, others said it was fine. The whole 100 hours a week thing though was just something blown up by people who only read part of a quote and ignore everything else that goes with it and all context.

I mean those people who only read part of a quote was apparently the entirety of the gaming press.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Their Top 10 has like 4 games I want to try some time soon :( Gonna have to write them down and keep them on a list. 2 of them are VR titles too, what a good year for VR!

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

On the contrary, its attitudes like yours that are the worst contribution to gaming. Where one becomes so obsessed with a simple list of games, their behavior becomes toxic and they seriously demand people lose their jobs over it.

It ain't rational, bruv. It also ain't healthy.

Oct 25, 2017
This top 10 doesn't really represent my personal top 10, but I respect their opinion. It's their top 10 afterall.

And anyways all of those games are great, I can't see what the fuss is about. It's a subjective list, just like any other. Why are some people so invested about such an insignificant thing that are the GOTY awards ? There are hundreds of them that are given every year.

And there's even that one guy who thinks EDGE deserves to be shut down. How crazy is this ?!
Simply because it validates their choices, confirming that they're "right" and any other opinion must be trolling.
This sort of thing has been toxic in the past, it's particularly obnoxious this year.
Sure, some of the games that have released this year are considered to be GOTG so I understand that this sort of shit comes with the territory, but damn.
Eh...gamers..what can I say?

Oct 27, 2017
I mean those people who only read part of a quote was apparently the entirety of the gaming press.

Yep. While headlines like "Rockstar Employees Worked 100 Hours a Week" was technically true, it was also pretty misleading as it only ever applied to Houser himself and some of the other writers who are all probably making really good money off the game and not your average developer.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
TBH, game pass is my probably my favorite Xbox exclusive experience also.

I got so much enjoyment out of it this year

Keeping in mind that sea of thieves and Forza horizon are part of it