• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Best subscriber cover in a while, and dedicating 16 full pages to Hollow Knight: Silksong is insane.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm about here.

Watchdogs Legion is a far better game, in my opinion, for a cyber/hacking based future game.

Better stealth, much better combat, intuitive hacking. The writing is decent, with bagley a standout. The driving is better as well. Oh, and it does not have my pet hate... A stupid wobbly mouse cursor in menus ON A CONSOLE game.

Cyberpunk on XSX occasionally looks great, but the enemy animations are jank, the hacking not very interesting. 15hrs in I still don't know what Breach Protocol is meant to do. Weapon inventory management is clunky. Combat basically involves charging at enemies and repeatedly mashing the trigger when holding a sword. Driving is poor.

People defend Cyberpunk by saying its not MEANT to be a sandbox so CPR haven't focused on AI and the mechanics side, but the mechanics ARE the actions you always take in a game (combat, driving, traversal) and they don't feel great.

That said, I love the world building and wandering about. Everything apart from the actual main missions is enjoyable to me.

But Legion is a much better game.

The sandbox elements and gadgets are the two areas where I thought WD:L did better, but as a whole package, as many issues I Have with CP77, it's still a far superior game. A much more interesting, well written, better paced narrative, with actual memorable characters. The hacking is not explained well in CP77 but it's actually really good... and honestly I ended up liking it more than the WD:L implementation.

On the subject of this.... WD2 actually did a lot of things better than WD:L did, especially when it comes to hacking, you simply had more options. WD:L essentially split Marcus' skill tree to pieces so you can feel each character a little different but with how unmemorable the characters are, because they are literally just random npc's at the end of the day, it didn't work for me and a lot of ppl. WD:L's ambition could have worked if Ubisoft had the resources to properly develop dozens of different characters, but they didn't . Even the voice acting is embarassingly bad for most characters, and the writing is.. kinda like a parody of english culture more than anything, honestly.

and in terms of raw gameplay, combat and driving? Man, I have my issues with CP77's driving but it's still miles ahead the floaty, twitchy driving of WD:L. It's such a bad fit for a city like London with high traffic density and narrow roads. And CP77's gunplay is miles ahead of WD:L imo. WD:L manages to have marginally better gunplay than WD2 but it's still inferior to WD1, funnily enough.

I consider the 7/10 for CP77 to be a very fair assesment, as well as their 5/10 for Legion. Legion in a vacuum could score higher but when you realize that most of the game is actually a downgrade from its predecessors, it's pretty fucking disappointing.

Apr 26, 2020
Remove the bugs and glitches from the game, and I would say Cyberpunk is the most "7/10" game I have ever played. It's basically just another RPG, and does nothing unique or revolutionary. I can't think of one thing in cyberpunk that other RPGs would take (unlike The Witcher 3).

Amen , i feel exactly the same way. Altough the world is also richly detailed , but thats it. 7/10 all the way. Or in my way of catogarising games " a type B game"

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people consider Astro's playroom Playstation propaganda but I never hear Mario games being called Nintendo propaganda?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people consider Astro's playroom Playstation propaganda but I never hear Mario games being called Nintendo propaganda?
I don't think it is all that serious, but I can't think of a Mario game that had as many franchise and console Easter eggs as Astro (if any).

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Remove the bugs and glitches from the game, and I would say Cyberpunk is the most "7/10" game I have ever played. It's basically just another RPG, and does nothing unique or revolutionary. I can't think of one thing in cyberpunk that other RPGs would take (unlike The Witcher 3).

It almost has everything better than the last Deus Ex games, so yeah, I think if a new Deus Ex games (or some other cyberpunk RPGs or immersive sim games) are going to be released in the future, they need to step up their game to atleast match the quality of CP2077

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's not being done in seriousness, more that Astrobot's Playroom was a free game that showcased a lot of old and current Playstation properties while also being there to sell players on the controller. It's cosy and nostalgic, but also really wants to sell you on the thing you've just chucked £450 or so at.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I like that they went the high school awards route with GOTY, it's a cute change of pace.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Also, people who are looking to get a copy it seems that Edge have tweeted that there isn't any more of the print run to order but they are looking into it, whilst copies should should be going to shops and supermarkets today. Apparently they've ordered extra due to increased demand as well!

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Any mention on what they didn't enjoy in Cyberpunk and Immortals? I ordered the physical issue so I'm going to wait for a while for the magazine to arrive, but I'm curious.

I'm curious for Hyrule Warriors as well but I guess I don't need to ask because 7 is pretty much what I expected from them anyway, I can already imagine why lol

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It almost has everything better than the last Deus Ex games, so yeah, I think if a new Deus Ex games (or some other cyberpunk RPGs or immersive sim games) are going to be released in the future, they need to step up their game to atleast match the quality of CP2077

CP2077 has nothing on the original Deus Ex.

I wonder how many of those that form this apparent "consensus" have actually played the game instead of parroting some lukewarm takes.

Uh, tons of people bought the game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I was wondering if they would dip to a 6 on it but a 7 is believable if removed from concern around bugs and the transphobic garbage. The game is shallow and distinctly average in places, which the review reflects well. Aiming for the highs of Deus Ex and The Witcher 3 but often missing the shot to settle somewhere closer to Call of Duty and GTA.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, tons of people bought the game.
"Tons" of the dozen or so posting in this thread that the score is "too high"?

But if you mean in general, sure, and most of them are probably happy with it (according to the latest Steam user reviews, which you can only post if you have actually played the game).

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Reviewers really don't like Immortals it seems. It's not the best game, but at least it isn't a bugfest like CP2077. I've played (and completed) both, and I would say the second one deserves a higher score.
I've been playing the game for about a week now, and I think the problem is that it's just completely the Ubisoft formula.

Open world with towers
Absolutely riddled with stuff in the world. I mean, it's so bloated. You can't walk 10 feet without hitting a chest or vault or puzzle.
The humor is just.... not good. It's like a less vulgar version of the Sunset Overdrive humor. Like it was written by a high school student.
The combat is really good, I'll give it that.
Typical Ubisoft microtransactions.

It's a BOTW clone without any of the heart and soul. It's fun, don't get me wrong, if mostly for the combat. I've given up on caring about the story at all, mostly because of the writing. But the combat and the shrines vaults are pretty good.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Cyberpunk is the best Deus Ex game I've played. The original doesnt hold well up now and I don't feel like installing it every time someone mentions it LOL

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing the game for about a week now, and I think the problem is that it's just completely the Ubisoft formula.

Open world with towers
Absolutely riddled with stuff in the world. I mean, it's so bloated. You can't walk 10 feet without hitting a chest or vault or puzzle.
The humor is just.... not good. It's like a less vulgar version of the Sunset Overdrive humor. Like it was written by a high school student.

It's a BOTW clone without any of the heart and soul.
I liked the humor lol
Zeus and Prometeus are awesome >:P
But yeah, it's chockful of things to do, too many, but a lot of them teach some Greek mythology. So it's more than just points in a map. also, some of the puzzles are great. Not all of them, mind you.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I haven't played it myself but I'm surprised that people aren't freaking out about the 13 Sentinels score
Exactly the score I expected from them. The more niche or otaku orientated games they bother to review never seem to go above a 7-8.
I was wondering if they would dip to a 6 on it but a 7 is believable if removed from concern around bugs and the transphobic garbage. The game is shallow and distinctly average in places, which the review reflects well. Aiming for the highs of Deus Ex and The Witcher 3 but often missing the shot to settle somewhere closer to Call of Duty and GTA.
They've been praising Cyberpunk whilst largely ignoring the issues for months now, which seemed most out of character for them. Does the review acknowledge this stuff? My copy isn't here yet.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Open world with towers
Typical Ubisoft microtransactions.

It's a BOTW clone without any of the heart and soul. It's fun, don't get me wrong, if mostly for the combat. I've given up on caring about the story at all, mostly because of the writing. But the combat and the shrines vaults are pretty good.
This is pretty spot on. Can't disagree with any of what you've said. The humor is especially grating like Zeus and Prometheus try too damn hard constantly. Wish I could mute them. Only thing I laughed at was Ares predicament. 6 is a fair score.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They've been praising Cyberpunk whilst largely ignoring the issues for months now, which seemed most out of character for them. Does the review acknowledge this stuff? My copy isn't here yet.
There's only a brief mention of the crunch:
It should be noted that Night City is plagued with bugs beyond its big specification ask; nothing progress-breaking in our 60 hours, but beset with frozen HUD elements, missing dialogue lines and T-poses galore. That after several delays, and reports on extended crunch, the game releases in this state, one wonders if this is the right studio to be shaking its head at the grim business practices of the future.

No mention of the transphobia though they don't hold the satire itself with much regard:
Aside from V's body the home you share is remarkable, if overly familiar in its satirical targets. Night City presents materialism and capitalism gone haywire and supercharged by sinister tech, but says little more than RoboCop did in 1988, and says it in similar ways to Grand Theft Auto's modern hellholes; obnoxious DJ's, spoof TV shows and adverts that vomit into the sky and drown pavements with smut.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
First few hours into Immortals Fenyx Rising and a 6 is on the money. A by the numbers open world collectathon.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I read the digital version to see the CP2077 review, pretty much perfectly encapsulates my thoughts on the game. Systems galore which are little more than empty gestures towards a deeper, more immersive game. The hacking skills don't amount to much more than ranged spells and debuffs.

Once you get past the multi-tiered layout of Night City the game itself is such a flat pancake when it comes to the possibilites for emergent gameplay experiences. Which makes the 7 seem a bit generous, but the actual text of the review is on point

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
2989175-whiguyblink.gif
Exactly what I thought lol but they probably know more than I do lol

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
From the user impressions from the PC version, i'd say a 7 out of 10 is a bit lower or around the deserved score if you ask me, especially if you consider the reviews in general which didn't review the console versions but still gave CP a high score. We're talking about the game without the bugs. I think people have had sour experiences with the base console versions are expressing their dismay at it but unfortunately reviews work only in a way where the given version is scored. Edge's score is more or less in line with the other review scores for EDGE standards.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Having just refunded Cyberpunk and having gushed about Call of the Sea to many of my friends, I can't help but laugh at seeing Cyberpunk reviewing better.