• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
One of the hosts on the Crate and Crowbar podcast is a former Edge writer, and at some point he brought that up as a general positive because it allowed him to write more freely about what he personally felt about the game while setting aside general expectations and such. Paraphrasing from a segment I listened to years ago, but that was about the gist of it. That's probably in part why Edge scores don't always follow the general consensus.

That's a fair point. I can understand how it's a bit more liberating not having your name out there attached to a score for people to attack on social media.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like I should read edge, every time I see their reviews I'm reminded of the fact that they're one of the few places I know of whose scores don't curve around a median of like 7

Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft = instabad. How could a dirty mass consumer company "product" review higher than real games (tm) from real studios (tm)?

Nevermind Assassin's Creed just having one of the best trilogies of the generation with each game being an exponential expansion of the last.
That kind of take would annoy me a lot less if what they classified as "the real games" wasn't just-as-focus-tested AAA garbage, but on the story-driven, cinematic side of things, instead of the long term engagement side.

If you're gonna call my bloated open world RPG a soulless product, I don't wanna hear any cinematic third person shooter as your example of high art. At least tell me about some novel design concept from some extremely niche game I've never heard of, not b tier storytelling coupled with uninspired game design.

Even more bizarre when the high art is basically Japan Assassin's Creed, but with Sony's logo at the start.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah, completely disagree. Spider-Man is the best thing they've ever done and it's a solid "8." Their studio Meta average is 78 which is not very high considering most of their games are or were console exclusives, which always seemed to be scored much more leniently in years past, especially those released within a launch window.

Looking at EDGE-specific scores, they gave the two Spidey games an 8 and a 7, Song of the Deep a 4, R&C 2016 a 6, Sunset Overdrive a 7 and Fuse a 4.

I don't see their games aside from Spider-Man receiving a lot of GOTY nods either.

So I don't think my opinion is that unusual outside of this forum.
I would agree Spider-Man is the best thing they've done. But R&C is almost always fantastic. And I know that Spider-Man is a lot of people's favorite game of the generation. Which is no small thing.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Edge has lost credibility (if they ever objectively ever had it) recently.

Valhalla an 8 and Ghost Of Tsushima a 6.

Mm Kay yeah. Sadly they've become just another outlet that's easy to write off and ignore.

eh, Ghosts is fun but I get that score. it's not a game I would replay. it reminded me of the old AC games but Jin was really boring. He's above Arno from Unity but that's not high praise

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know what Astro could do to get a 7, even if that's still very good on Edge's ratings. Like, it's short but it's free? So even counting it's 3+ hour length, it's still amazing. If it was 8 hours and held up throughout it would in GOTY convos.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know what Astro could do to get a 7, even if that's still very good on Edge's ratings. Like, it's short but it's free? So even counting it's 3+ hour length, it's still amazing. If it was 8 hours and held up throughout it would in GOTY convos.
I think part of the confusion is that some people seem to think of it as "every game starts with a 10, and then you give solid reasons to lower that score". I don't think it needs to "do" anything to get a 7, they just didn't like it as much as others, even though they still think it's good.

There are a lot of games that entered GOTY conversations throughout the years and won plenty of awards that I personally think are awful, let alone "pretty good, 7/10".

It also has to do with the general perception of what a 7/10 is in games reviewing, imo. Even if everyone says "7 is good for Edge", it's still hard to forget that 7/10 usually means the reviewer won't ever think about that game again in their lives starting two weeks from now. So you don't read 7/10 and think "yeah, it's a good game", you think "no way, it's a good game!"

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of the confusion is that some people seem to think of it as "every game starts with a 10, and then you give solid reasons to lower that score". I don't think it needs to "do" anything to get a 7, they just didn't like it as much as others, even though they still think it's good.

There are a lot of games that entered GOTY conversations throughout the years and won plenty of awards that I personally think are awful, let alone "pretty good, 7/10".

It also has to do with the general perception of what a 7/10 is in games reviewing, imo. Even if everyone says "7 is good for Edge", it's still hard to forget that 7/10 usually means the reviewer won't ever think about that game again in their lives starting two weeks from now. So you don't read 7/10 and think "yeah, it's a good game", you think "no way, it's a good game!"
True, and it's still a very high mark for Astro. Idk about others but it's certainly going to be the standard barrier for Dual Sense use for me for a while until someone tops it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Reminder that Edge has given GOTY to Sony exclusives in 2015, 2016 and most likely 2020.

So that is 3 out of the last 6 years. There is no anti-Sony from Edge.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
That kind of take would annoy me a lot less if what they classified as "the real games" wasn't just-as-focus-tested AAA garbage, but on the story-driven, cinematic side of things, instead of the long term engagement side.

If you're gonna call my bloated open world RPG a soulless product, I don't wanna hear any cinematic third person shooter as your example of high art. At least tell me about some novel design concept from some extremely niche game I've never heard of, not b tier storytelling coupled with uninspired game design.

Even more bizarre when the high art is basically Japan Assassin's Creed, but with Sony's logo at the start.
Amen

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
eh, Ghosts is fun but I get that score. it's not a game I would replay. it reminded me of the old AC games but Jin was really boring. He's above Arno from Unity but that's not high praise
Yeah being upset about Valhalla being scored higher than Ghost is strange. Outside the combat, it's essentially old AC in a samurai skin for mostly the worse.

Valhalla is a much better game imho. Though I'm feeling it is a bit too long.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Damn. Fucking owned

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Up your Arsenal, Tools for Destruction, and A Crack in Time are really good, but I guess most people underestimate these types of games unless theyre made by Nintendo.
Does this count as a form of the "Legend of Belda" argument?

I feel like it does as it's essentially saying Nintendo games get reviewed higher automatically.

This thread really has it all.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

yes, there are some games that are revered here as high art when it's 3rd person games with tons of walking to be cinematic, loot, and stars a sad dad

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Calling foul on a positive Valhalla score, then praising Ghost of Tsushima is almost hysterical

The former is the superior experience in every area. Tsushima would have got a 9 in like, 2014.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Im surprised at the low score for Pathless and the high score for AC:Valhalla. I thought they liked unique games like the pathless and didnt like the generic open world slog, but then again I doubt the same guy reviewed both games.
What if... Valhalla isn't a "generic open world slog"? Maybe that would explain it?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Calling foul on a positive Valhalla score, then praising Ghost of Tsushima is almost hysterical

The former is the superior experience in every area. Tsushima would have got a 9 in like, 2014.

Yeah, I think you can make a case for Ghost being more aesthetically pleasing and I guess there's less jank (which is not to say no jank), but it's a much more repetitive game than Valhalla overall and it runs out of steam after Act I, imo.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Rarely agree with Edge's reviews/scores and that's completely fine. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone should look for certain sites/publications that they tend to jive with.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

I feel like it does as it's essentially saying Nintendo games get reviewed higher automatically.

and honestly, ever since the PS2 games of the series, it felt like ratchet struggled finding out what to do with itself both story and gameplay wise

it went from biting satire with an optimistic message that unlikely heroes can prevail over greed until this generic, by the numbers chosen one story that needed tons of retcons to work

gameplay wise it's also stagnated since every game just adds more wacky weapons. there are some fun additions that aren't used nearly as much as they should like the sliding boots and the time travel that was amazing in the last levels of crack in time but barely used beforehand

it all culminated in the mediocre remake that was all the flaws of the series summed up with the butchering of the story of the amazing first game with tons of strafe and shooting gameplay

hopefully rift apart could do some new things with the gameplay and it uses the dimensional hopping a ton but the plot already looks meh from what we've seen

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Edge Reviewers: if i rate a really hard game as good then ppl will think im a good gamer. Also, if I give kidz games a low score then that will prove to all gamers that we are legitimate

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edge Reviewers: if i rate a really hard game as good then ppl will think im a good gamer. Also, if I give kidz games a low score then that will prove to all gamers that we are legitimate
That doesn't stick at all. Look at this month's review of Bugsnax, it's right there. Unless I'm missing the joke?

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
This has to be a joke right? Sometimes it's so hard to tell..

For sure, just laughing at edge having no fun with little big planet. Feels like the food critic from ratatouille. Like the only pleasure you get is from an old game that's been remade? It's a great game, but come on haha. Live a little.

Also what's the shade on miles for? Bizarre. No fun allowed the issue if there ever was one.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
For sure, just laughing at edge having no fun with little big planet. Feels like the food critic from ratatouille. Like the only pleasure you get is from an old game that's been remade? It's a great game, but come on haha. Live a little.

Also what's the shade on miles for? Bizarre

Oh, another case of "how dare they give a low score to the games I enjoyed".

Why do I even bother lol

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Also what's the shade on miles for? Bizarre

Come on.

Edge gave Little Big Planet a 10. Fewer than 25 games have gotten a 10 from them ever.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Ubisoft games are all soulless products and Sony exclusives are all good is my incendiary hot take contribution contribution to this thread.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017

What? You're taking my comment out of context. I meant Insomniac wasn't taken seriously until Spider-Man, a "AAA" game, even though they made great games before Spider-Man. Has nothing to do with Nintendo's review scores.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

Also what's the shade on miles for? Bizarre. No fun allowed the issue if there ever was one.
Just going to ignore the fact that they have Bugsnax and Yakuza Like a Dragon (two incredibly non-serious games) 8s, huh?

And anyway, 7 isn't even a bad score in Edge especially when the reviews for MM and Astro Bot both say the games are still fun to play. Just because they didn't get on with Sackboy's Adventure as much as Demon's Souls doesn't mean that harder games with a more serious tone are the only pleasure they can get (we don't even know if the individual reviewers are the same for both games). What even is this take?

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Wait.. Bugsnax a 8 and Astro a 7? Not that reviews mean anything but wow that's just nuts. lol

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is embarrassing. Read the reviews. The given grade makes sense in that context.
How we perceive games is different and instead of getting your knickers twisted over a Sony exclusive not getting the score you think it deserves, read the different perspective and engage with that instead of drive by commenting on the score.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima had a terrible camera, terrible stealth mechanics, uninteresting side quests outside of the mythic tales, generic open world outpost fights, and non-existent exploration considering animals led you to everything of importance (which was usually just boring platforming sections etc). The main story didn't event get interesting until the third act, and by then the game only has about 2 hours of content left. The entire game felt like it was from the early days of open world game design.

Discussing any of that around the time of its release was pretty much impossible to do on this forum without being instantly shouted down, so I understand why people are still so aggressive over the arbitrary review scores it received around here.

I don't play Ubisoft games, but I wouldn't be surprised if AC does a lot of things better than Tsushima.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
This thread is embarrassing. Read the reviews. The given grade makes sense in that context.
How we perceive games is different and instead of getting your knickers twisted over a Sony exclusive not getting the score you think it deserves, read the different perspective and engage with that instead of drive by commenting on the score.
Yeah.. Review/score reactions will never, ever be different. Just like how this image will forever be relevant:

0LagCbJ.jpg

People still treat publications like they're a single reviewer who judges every game on the same scale. It's amazingly funny to see in every review thread.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Assassins Creed 2k21 is bloated, buggy, micro-transactions riddled trash with the real "b tier storytelling" but more like c tier.

Ghost of Tsushima had a terrible camera, terrible stealth mechanics, uninteresting side quests outside of the mythic tales, generic open world outpost fights, and non-existent exploration considering animals led you to everything of importance (which was usually just boring platforming sections etc). The main story didn't event get interesting until the third act, and by then the game only has about 2 hours of content left. The entire game felt like it was from the early days of open world game design.

Discussing any of that around the time of its release was pretty much impossible to do on this forum without being instantly shouted down, so I understand why people are still so aggressive over the arbitrary review scores it received around here.

I don't play Ubisoft games, but I wouldn't be surprised if AC does a lot of things better than Tsushima.
Well it doesn't. And I disagree.

Assassins Creed and it's tacked on future time portal back to the past story arc is played out af and it's just to keep the name tied to their games. Everything you said about GoT applies to AssCreed x10. With the added bonus of bugs and micro transactions.

I play Ubisoft games and can't wait for Far Cry 6, but there should be no situation where you praise Assassins Creed and downplay GoT for some odd reason 🤔.