• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Reviews
Paper Mario: The Origami King - 8
Deadly Premonition 2 - 4
Beyond a Steel Sky - 6
Carrion - 6
Roki - 7
Othercide - 8
Maid of Sker - 5
Before I Forget - 7

Hype
Star Wars Squadrons
Crossfire X
Ooblets
Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Unpacking
Radio the Universe
Rip Them Off

Front cover - Psychonauts 2

The Making Of... - A Short Hike
Studio Profile - Futurlab
Time Extend - LA Noire

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds in line with what I've felt about Paper Mario, 15 hours plus in. The game is a delight

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Deserved for Paper Mario. It's the score I'd give it after completing the game. (Well, an 8.5, but Edge doesn't do it that way.)

Deadly Premonition 2 score is not surprising.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beyond a Steel Sky has been getting quite the mixed reviews. Some seem to really like it while others are a bit more lukewarm on it. It's been such a long time since I played the first one so I will have to play that first again, I just wish I could do that on my Macbook.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition score is extremely generous. Might want to check for some backdoor payments to the reviewer there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Some reviews from Edge from previous games in the series reviewed in this issue:

Paper Mario - 7
Paper Mario: TTYD - 8
Super Paper Mario - 7
Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 8
Paper Mario: Color Splash - 7

Deadly Premonition - 7

Munroe

May 17, 2019
Wow, didn't realise there was a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky, I'll have to check it out.

Surprised at the 6 for Carrion, it was short but enjoyable. This is probably why I care little for review scores

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If Deadly Premonition 2 is an Edge 4, I wonder what a 3 or lower would look like

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Wow, didn't realise there was a sequel to Beneath a Steel Sky, I'll have to check it out.

Surprised at the 6 for Carrion, it was short but enjoyable. This is probably why I care little for review scores
A 6 kind of matches my experience for Carrion. It's a good concept but not much interesting is really done with it, and it's very easy to get lost if you go out of your way even slightly (especially without a map) as all the indoor environments pretty much look the same.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
If Deadly Premonition 2 is an Edge 4, I wonder what a 3 or lower would look like
The last few 3s they gave out:

Puzzles and Dragons Gold
Mosaic
Stranger Things 3: The Game
Vane
Extinction
Scribblenauts Showdown
Brawlout

3s are given out quite rarely, 2s and 1s even less so (there's only two 1s in Edge history). Generally hyped up games that they really don't like won't score lower than a 4.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
haven't played origami but this is the most surprised i've been by an Edge score

Glow-in-the-dark cover

Endless

Oct 27, 2017
Special glow-in-the-dark cover

UZmuDhnG

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The Origami King score is not suprising since the game is filled to the brim with fresh new ideas in gameplay and story.

Well deserved to IntSys and Nintendo tbqh

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing through Deadly Premonition and I feel a 4 is generous. Unlike the first game which hooked me, I am struggling to play through the sequel.

The story so far seems to be good but the pacing is awful and that combined with thr bad gameplay makes thing way less interesting.

The first game hooked me right from the start. It's Silent Hill esque style combined with Twin Peaks is way better andd more intriguing.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Great to see origami king get some recognition, stands up as one it the best in the series despite the change in direction

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's a meaningful 8 coming from Edge, and Origami King deserves it. It's an incredibly well made video game.

The Deadly Premonition score doesn't put me off. I love Swery -- and generally love mid-budget weirdo Japanese auteur games -- and the range of scores just comes with the territory. Largely because some folks will find lots of value in the elements that make games like this unique, while others will judge it on the technical/traditional merits of a video game, which, ya know, is a valid critical viewpoint.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews
Paper Mario: The Origami King - 8
Deadly Premonition 2 - 4
Beyond a Steel Sky - 6
Carrion - 6
Roki - 7
Othercide - 8
Maid of Sker - 5
Before I Forget - 7

Hype
Star Wars Squadrons
Crossfire X
Ooblets
Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Unpacking
Radio the Universe
Rip Them Off

Front cover - Psychonauts 2

The Making Of... - A Short Hike
Studio Profile - Futurlab
Time Extend - LA Noire
So what is the article regarding Psychonaughts 2? Sorry, it's not clear from this post, it's not just a front cover right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
That's a meaningful 8 coming from Edge, and Origami King deserves it. It's an incredibly well made video game.

The Deadly Premonition score doesn't put me off. I love Swery -- and generally love mid-budget weirdo Japanese auteur games -- and the range of scores just comes with the territory. Largely because some folks will find lots of value in the elements that make games like this unique, while others will judge it on the technical/traditional merits of a video game, which, ya know, is a valid critical viewpoint.
More power to you if you enjoy it but to clarify, Edge weren't just critical of technical elements. They thought it was quite boring overall.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Great score for Paper Mario. That's what I would give it too. This one feels fresh.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have never played a PM game but I'm strongly considering getting Origami King down the line.

Carrion got the 6 it deserved, I'd even go for a 5 tbh

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Havent been following DP2, whats so bad about it?
The last few 3s they gave out:

Vane

3s are given out quite rarely, 2s and 1s even less so (there's only two 1s in Edge history). Generally hyped up games that they really don't like won't score lower than a 4.
ow, Vane has been on my steam wishlist for a while. What was their problem with this one?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario is good? I thought it was getting shat on for terrible battles and not being a real RPG. I love the tone of these games generally so should I reconsider? Might tip me over into buying a couple of vouchers for this and my inevitable pikmin double dip

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Havent been following DP2, whats so bad about it?

ow, Vane has been on my steam wishlist for a while. What was their problem with this one?
Don't have the issue to hand but this is the snippet from MC - " Vane is unfinished, its few ideas undermined by its shoddy foundations. If it really were a painting, you'd get Banksy to frame it "

So what is the article regarding Psychonaughts 2? Sorry, it's not clear from this post, it's not just a front cover right?
Mainly about Double Fine and the progress they're making in development.