• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BOTW - Player led sandbox that gives players the toys, tools and spaces needed to create their own fun. The impact of this game may take a while to be felt but make no mistake devs will have been studying BOTW and learning from it.
You are describing Minecraft....XD. Though I find it boring and prefer BOTW.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
If it's about influence not quality I'm fine with this list. I'm glad the included negative influence as "the game that gave us let's play".

About Dark Souls, what are their reasons? Always thought it was a niche game.
About BOTW, what is the reasoning? If it's about selling consoles and positioning Nintendo I agree but if it's about influencing other games I think it's too early.
On BOTW, they do mention a resurgent Nintendo but the focus is on the chemistry of the game - the emergent gameplay, dynamic systems working together in ways that other games haven't really done, especially in an open world, it's open world level design, that a lot of devs have been taking notice of the game since release and that while there's still nothing quite like it in that regard, we'll see the effects over the next few years

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
You are describing Minecraft....XD. Though I find it boring and prefer BOTW.
I think the distinction that needs to be made is more like BotW is "alive" while Minecraft is not. Interesting things can happen independently of the user, things can react to the environment in the absence of your actions (although the game is designed in a way where these volatile elements are mostly isolated from each other before you start messing with thing)

If I had to make an analogy, the statement you replied to could be used to describe both a chemistry set and pile of clay but these two things are not really the same in practice.

Also, I don't know how I feel about GTAV on this list. I guess there's a kind of argument for saying it was impactful because it got noticed outside the bounds of the industry or games as a hobby. I'm just wondering where the waves of its splash are still felt today.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I question the inclusion of BotW. While it's admittedly a little too soon to see AAA games which crib from it in a big way, I haven't really seen/heard many industry discussions about which specific mechanics are so compelling. It was well received by people in the industry, yes, and many people say they like it a lot, which I don't doubt, but I don't really see anyone being like "We like it because it has [unique system X], which we are taking as influence in our game". It's not like it has to be that obvious, but I don't really see anything even along those lines.

Honestly, even then, like even if someone included the elemental interactions in their game, I don't know if I'd call that influential on the scale of "Kickstarter can work for games" or "difficulty isn't anathema to enjoyment" or "causes streaming explosion" or "GaaS is a viable business model" effects that other entries had. I can't think of anything BotW does that would be influential at that level of an industry seachange.

I also don't know about Fortnite. Obviously, it's both hugely popular *and* influential, eclipsing games to just being a straight up pop culture phenomenon, I'd maybe put ArmA 3, DayZ, pr PUBG there first. Less reach, and less of a means by which games become more than just themselves, but clearly very popular games which served as direct influences on Fortnite and arguably had far larger impact on the likes of streaming in general, which Fortnite is also heavily tied to.

Last edited:

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On BOTW, they do mention a resurgent Nintendo but the focus is on the chemistry of the game - the emergent gameplay, dynamic systems working together in ways that other games haven't really done, especially in an open world, it's open world level design, that a lot of devs have been taking notice of the game since release and that while there's still nothing quite like it in that regard, we'll see the effects over the next few years
Thanks for the info. Sometimes people close their eyes in favor to something they really like. Imo the biggest thing BOTW brought to the table was the chemistry system and it was great. Other than that:

Emergent gameplay - Minecraft(not fan of it but the only reason to play is because of the make you own fun concept)
Open world design - Skyrim(a direct inspiration for Aonuma and Zelda team, like BOTW you have a tutorial area and after that go whatever you want)
Dynamic systems working together - GTA (Imo this is GTA core. To the point the only game I bothered doing the story was San Andreas)

Not even saying that those games I listed are pioneer just saying it was done before. The only mechanics I see as influential are chemistry system(in a good way) and climbing(in a bad way).

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the info. Sometimes people close their eyes in favor to something they really like. Imo the biggest thing BOTW brought to the table was the chemistry system and it was great. Other than that:

Emergent gameplay - Minecraft(not fan of it but the only reason to play is because of the make you own fun concept)
Open world design - Skyrim(a direct inspiration for Aonuma and Zelda team, like BOTW you have a tutorial area and after that go whatever you want)
Dynamic systems working together - GTA (Imo this is GTA core. To the point the only game I bothered doing the story was San Andreas)

Not even saying that those games I listed are pioneer just saying it was done before. The only mechanics I see as influential are chemistry system(in a good way) and climbing(in a bad way).
Well no one has ever said that BotW is the first to do any of those things or a pioneer. At best, people have expressed that BotW is among a few to bring all of those elements together so well while also doing it's own thing in the open world genre, which is a fair sentiment

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019

I'd say the open world design is a lot more sophisticated than Skyrim's - there's a GDC talk about how it was designed that elaborates on it further and talks about spatial composition and how various techniques were used in order for the environment to entice a player somewhere without them really realising. Out of curiosity, why did you think the climbing would be influential in a bad way? Outside of it being affected by the rain (which is either a love it/hate it dynamic), I'm pretty sure the climb anywhere idea was massively well regarded?

Not sure what you're referring to about the dynamic systems interacting in GTA, as this point relates directly into the chemistry system facilitating that and I really don't remember anything remotely similar in that series.

The biggest direct influence coming up for BoTW in the AAA space is looking to be Gods and Monsters (at first glance, anyway) so we'll see what happens there, bit I'm sure there will be a lot of other games that pick up on other things in a smaller way that show off why a lot of people (including a ton of game devs) are saying how influential the game will end up being.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
"Double Fine Adventure" was the first gaming Kickstarter to break a million, $3,336,371 that is:

The list is solid but I don´t get what Spelunky is doing here. It´s a bit too close to the 2008 original to belong on a list for games of the 2010s.
Star Citizen has to be missing as it may or may not come out next decade, I guess. That budget will overtake Endgame in a year if the money keeps flowing as is.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the open world design is a lot more sophisticated than Skyrim's - there's a GDC talk about how it was designed that elaborates on it further and talks about spatial composition and how various techniques were used in order for the environment to entice a player somewhere without them really realising. Out of curiosity, why did you think the climbing would be influential in a bad way? Outside of it being affected by the rain (which is either a love it/hate it dynamic), I'm pretty sure the climb anywhere idea was massively well regarded?
I agree with it being more sophisticated than Skyrim and I really like that talk. At the same time my experience with the two of them were really similar.
Something interests me -> I stray from my path -> have a great reward for that. BOTW even had the same problem of Skyrim. A lot of shrines with the same aesthetic placed around the world like Skyrim dungeons. Both drove me nuts with the repetitiveness.
My criticism with climbing comes because of the way I see Zelda and from my expectations after Aonuma's interviews before game was fully revealed. He stated about seeing a place, figure out how to reach it. In the end the figure out step was never a thing as climbing + gliding solved most of situations. I had one frustrated experience in my first playtrough where I reached Zora's Domain without seeing the rain road because of experimenting climbing + stamina potions near the mountains around it. The other time I jumped from Twin Peaks to the forest and when I realized I landed at Serpent's Jaws, the end of an area where entering in a more linear way would be more interesting. In my dream game, climbing would be an item/ability that you get in mid game that changes the way you see all the areas the came before. Though that's the way I see. It had a great reception within the industry so I expect it being influential to other games.

Not sure what you're referring to about the dynamic systems interacting in GTA, as this point relates directly into the chemistry system facilitating that and I really don't remember anything remotely similar in that series.
I thought the point was about different systems interacting and resulting in something greater, the concept they called multiplicative gameplay in that GDC talk. And GTA is full of these situations. For example: you see a pedestrian on a crosswalk, then you points the gun to a driver that is waiting for the traffic light, driver accelerates, runs over the pedestrian, cops see that and start chasing the car. Game is full of those situations and that's a result of different system interacting together and my main reason to play Grand Theft Auto.

The biggest direct influence coming up for BoTW in the AAA space is looking to be Gods and Monsters (at first glance, anyway) so we'll see what happens there, bit I'm sure there will be a lot of other games that pick up on other things in a smaller way that show off why a lot of people (including a ton of game devs) are saying how influential the game will end up being.
I saw it too. But the only similarity I saw was the visual when it was revealed. I didn't see the other trailers.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
DOTA 1 arrived long before LoL did. The DOTA franchise first introduced the very concept LoL is built upon. DOTA 2 was an evolution of this and, really, did it best - the game's more complex than League in a variety of ways, and balancing the gameplay has been a real feat over the years.
Calling LoL F2P in the presence of DOTA 2 isn't accurate either - every aspect of DOTA 2's core gameplay is completely free, and always has been - every hero, every standard game mode and seasonal event + more through the Custom Games. LoL, by comparison, is not. Buying heroes outside of rotation means you have to pay for the complete core experience.
LoL's more popular, I'll give you that, but pretending DOTA didn't also 'push esports forwards' is being really disingenuous. It's 3rd on Twitch for total esports hours watched and the game's constantly smashing records for the largest prizepool year after year thanks to The International. It's thus grown some of the most significant success stories for esports players. which has drawn headlines worldwide. It's also worth noting that this prizepool is almsot entirely community driven, which whips up a really positive scene for the game's playerbase and pro players alike. In fact DOTA 2 holds 6 of the top 8 spots for the largest awards in esports. Winners of said tournament have even met with their nation's royalty as a result of their success. DOTA 2's esports scene is huge, and is constantly growing.
You've then to consider how much of an evolution DOTA was for Valve at the time, and how it's dominated Steam's user base over the years...
DOTA's huge, and I'd argue it's been more important than LoL in the west, which is probably why it's featured in Edge over League.

This is very well put. Covers a lot of probable reasons why Dota was chosen over LoL.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I am irrationally upset at the Destiny cover because there is literally no fight or mechanic anywhere in either game where an enemy physically grabs and throws you.

Oct 2, 2018
12 collector edition covers as seen here:
EIxCPFIWsAEqiTW

So I guess we got:
- Spelunky
- Telltale The Walking Dead?
- Broken Age
- GTA V
- Breath of the Wild
- Amnesia
- Dark Souls
- Destiny?
- Minecraft
- Gone Home
- Fortnite
- Dota 2

(Spelunky popularized the roguelite, but didn't birth the roguelike)

I dont think gone home did shit. Also Broken age + TWD = meh. Where's Gears in this? Gears or uncharted had more of an impact than some of the games on that list. No resident evil or silent hills either? or TLOU.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as far as "Defining" goes, I can agree with most of that list. (Except maybe Broken Age). The impact of many of those game is crazy.

I'd say replace BA with Candy Crush and it would be perfect.
Maybe it popularized it quite a bit more.
It absolutely did, I was in high school at the time and that's exactly when I remember the Let's Play craze starting with Pewdiepie and Markiplier and whatnot.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I really love that Gone Home is going on so many lists. That game is extremely important to me and to see it getting some end-of-gen propers warms my heart, man.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone questioning Broken Age or just citing "Kickstarter" needs to watch the documentary series tied to it. I enjoyed the game enough and it was beautiful looking, but the doc series alone was worth the price of entry. It's an in depth and open look at modern game development, and probably something we'll never see again. All of the delays and difficult production decisions play out with weight and drama, and you get to know the people struggling to keep it on track. Every delay and the decision to split the game into two parts that had people online screaming"Trainwreck!" made the behind the scenes stuff that much more interesting and inspiring. It follows the development for years. From concept to final crunch. Hell, they could have done a documentary on the game's doc crew and it would have also been great.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
See Polygon, that's how you do a list like that. Just call the games defining and you're allowed to put a lot of trash in your top 10.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I question the inclusion of BotW. While it's admittedly a little too soon to see AAA games which crib from it in a big way, I haven't really seen/heard many industry discussions about which specific mechanics are so compelling. It was well received by people in the industry, yes, and many people say they like it a lot, which I don't doubt, but I don't really see anyone being like "We like it because it has [unique system X], which we are taking as influence in our game". It's not like it has to be that obvious, but I don't really see anything even along those lines.
Have you been paying attention though?

Honestly, even then, like even if someone included the elemental interactions in their game, I don't know if I'd call that influential on the scale of "Kickstarter can work for games" or "difficulty isn't anathema to enjoyment" or "causes streaming explosion" or "GaaS is a viable business model" effects that other entries had.
It's called most defining games, not most influential. A game like GTAV is also not influential, because nobody blows up the budget to have that kind of attention to detail.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne got robbed

Most of my friends are gamers, not one of them had even heard of Bloodborne before I mentioned it to them.
I tried playing it with some of the more receptive ones of console exclusives, but they hated it.

I think enthusiast boards such as this one over estimate it's impact and "defining" power.
It didn't even sell all that well, if I'm not mistaken.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IDK if you can count league since it released in 2009, but if they chose Dota 2 over league thats crazy (and thats from someone who's played dota since 2007 and doesn't even like league).

The game is just absolutely massive. 4 million concurrent viewers on twitch in the semifinals. That's WAY more than any esports out there - its a phenomenon. It's over 15x the overwatch league season 2 finals, 3.5x the biggest CS majors. And its still growing! Dota 2 in comparison is shrinking, at least in western countries. Dota 2 isn't even the biggest game on Steam anymore -- PUBG has been crushing it for over a year now and CSGO generally has more players too.

I would also put CSGO over dota 2 but thats a much more contentious argument.

Something tells me that Scarfall here, with 2/3rds of his posts being about how great the game Scarfall is, and his user image being the app icon for the game, miiiiiiiiiight be a taaad biased...

LMAO I was wondering...