• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This one cuts deep. Van Halen's always been one of my favorite rock bands; in fact I used to rewind the ending parts of the MMPR movie over and over so I could listen to "Dreams" on repeat as a kid.

I love both the Dave and Sammy eras of the band, but I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't post two of Eddie's best songs/moments as a guitarist that I hardly ever see anyone talk about.

That extended breakdown bit from the live version of 5150 is usually THE first thing I think of when it comes to Eddie as a guitarist.

that 5150 video is amazing. its sad to think they had such a falling out when here you can see how much they loved working together

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
As a bigger Journey fan than VH, I found it really interesting to see that VH opened for Journey (and Montrose) in 1978.
There's a fairly famous story of how backstage at a show on that tour Eddie and Dave were fighting with each other(even that far back lol) and Eddie threw a bowl of guacamole at Dave and missed, instead hitting Steve Perry who had just turned the corner into the room.

and here's a picture of Eddie with Neal Schon, that Neal shared the other day
image0.jpg

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
There's a fairly famous story of how backstage at a show on that tour Eddie and Dave were fighting with each other(even that far back lol) and Eddie threw a bowl of guacamole at Dave and missed, instead hitting Steve Perry who had just turned the corner into the room.

and here's a picture of Eddie with Neal Schon, that Neal shared the other day
image0.jpg
That's a great picture.

I've always felt that Neal Schon is one of the most underrated guitarists out there.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Cathedral is one of my favorite instrumentals, shame he sort of stopped doing them later on.

Oct 25, 2017
that 5150 video is amazing. its sad to think they had such a falling out when here you can see how much they loved working together

I'm not 100% sure how true it is, but apparently Eddie and Sammy were able to finally reconnect and bury the hatchet earlier this year and had been in constant contact with each other up until Eddie's health started going south a few months ago. So if that's true, that's at least one relief IMO. Though I have no clue if Eddie bothered to do the same with Michael Anthony too.

And I agree, the fallout between them hurts to think about. I actually remember seeing in a number of various bootlegs and concert footage throughout most of the Hagar era of Sammy repeatedly referring to Eddie as "My Best Friend in the World." The two were close as hell until around the time they started working on Balance. Whereas with Dave, I get the feeling that that particular relationship has mostly been just as professionals/co-workers, especially since they reunited in '07.

I love both eras and both singers, but I definitely wish I could've been around to catch the Hagar era in its prime.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure how true it is, but apparently Eddie and Sammy were able to finally reconnect and bury the hatchet earlier this year and had been in constant contact with each other up until Eddie's health started going south a few months ago. So if that's true, that's at least one relief IMO. Though I have no clue if Eddie bothered to do the same with Michael Anthony too.

And I agree, the fallout between them hurts to think about. I actually remember seeing in a number of various bootlegs and concert footage throughout most of the Hagar era of Sammy repeatedly referring to Eddie as "My Best Friend in the World." The two were close as hell until around the time they started working on Balance. Whereas with Dave, I get the feeling that that particular relationship has mostly been just as professionals/co-workers, especially since they reunited in '07.

I love both eras and both singers, but I definitely wish I could've been around to catch the Hagar era in its prime.
Sammy wrote in to Howard expressing his sadness and it's true they did reconnect. Check the video and you'll hear him read sammys letter later in the video

youtu.be

Howard and the Stern Show Pay Tribute to Eddie Van Halen

Howard Stern pays tribute to Eddie Van Halen, talks about the impact he had on rock music, and reads a message from Sammy Hagar. SUBSCRIBE for more videos: h...

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017

It's even come to light that back in 2019 Dave, Sammy and Eddie were in talks to actually tour together as one united Van Halen with Wolfgang and his band being the opening act for their shows. The plan was for Dave to sing 2 songs while then Sammy would sing 2 songs, rotating back and forth and they would of all stayed on stage the entire time. They even talked of having Anthony on bass hence Wolfie being the opening act. This would of been crazy if it actually is true.

I grew up in the Sammy era even though I was born in the late 70's. While I have always respected the Dave era, the Sammy VH era is what I had grown up with. It is a real shame that their friendship fell apart over the years. I know many have said what a great guy that Eddie was behind the scenes, but albeit his greatness over the years I became so disappointed in him as he would blame both Dave and Sammy as having LSD = Lead Singers Disease and hence why they were kicked out of the band. He had for a time become his own worst enemy and its a shame because I don't think we have seen a guitarist of his caliber in the last 40 years. There have been some that are a notch below him, but man was he such a talent. Having listening to him do interviews over the years and speak on how he came up with the double tapping and the unique sound because they couldn't afford the more expensive guitar equipment when he first started playing guitar just speaks volumes about his brilliance with the guitar.

We have to wonder too if Eddie's drinking had gotten out of control during the Balance-era, which is about when shit hit the fan with Sammy. As a longtime fan of the band, what drove me insane and I posted about it a few pages ago was the music output of the band when compared to say Sammy. I know a lot of it had to do with Eddie also being sick. Having been a Sammy fan, having seen him release 9 solo albums (w/Waboritas, The Circle) and 2 with Chickenfoot while Van Halen only released 2 albums, 3 new songs on (BOBW Compilation) and one of them "A Different Kind of Truth" was re-writes of songs off of the Zero Demo drove me nuts. I think Sammy went on to have fun and enjoy his music career after Van Halen.

I want to throw this out there, but some rumors going around that they might still try to tour and if they did who do you guys think can be decent enough to play guitar in Eddie's place? I would think that maybe Joe Satriani could work as he is another talented guitarist that doesn't always get his due.

I kept hoping we would get a follow-up to "A Different Kind of Truth", that album was very good. I keep hoping that one day we do get what was unreleased including the Cherone second album.

Oct 25, 2017
It's even come to light that back in 2019 Dave, Sammy and Eddie were in talks to actually tour together as one united Van Halen with Wolfgang and his band being the opening act for their shows. The plan was for Dave to sing 2 songs while then Sammy would sing 2 songs, rotating back and forth and they would of all stayed on stage the entire time. They even talked of having Anthony on bass hence Wolfie being the opening act. This would of been crazy if it actually is true.

I grew up in the Sammy era even though I was born in the late 70's. While I have always respected the Dave era, the Sammy VH era is what I had grown up with. It is a real shame that their friendship fell apart over the years. I know many have said what a great guy that Eddie was behind the scenes, but albeit his greatness over the years I became so disappointed in him as he would blame both Dave and Sammy as having LSD = Lead Singers Disease and hence why they were kicked out of the band. He had for a time become his own worst enemy and its a shame because I don't think we have seen a guitarist of his caliber in the last 40 years. There have been some that are a notch below him, but man was he such a talent. Having listening to him do interviews over the years and speak on how he came up with the double tapping and the unique sound because they couldn't afford the more expensive guitar equipment when he first started playing guitar just speaks volumes about his brilliance with the guitar.

We have to wonder too if Eddie's drinking had gotten out of control during the Balance-era, which is about when shit hit the fan with Sammy. As a longtime fan of the band, what drove me insane and I posted about it a few pages ago was the music output of the band when compared to say Sammy. I know a lot of it had to do with Eddie also being sick. Having been a Sammy fan, having seen him release 9 solo albums (w/Waboritas, The Circle) and 2 with Chickenfoot while Van Halen only released 2 albums, 3 new songs on (BOBW Compilation) and one of them "A Different Kind of Truth" was re-writes of songs off of the Zero Demo drove me nuts. I think Sammy went on to have fun and enjoy his music career after Van Halen.

I want to throw this out there, but some rumors going around that they might still try to tour and if they did who do you guys think can be decent enough to play guitar in Eddie's place? I would think that maybe Joe Satriani could work as he is another talented guitarist that doesn't always get his due.

I kept hoping we would get a follow-up to "A Different Kind of Truth", that album was very good. I keep hoping that one day we do get what was unreleased including the Cherone second album.

Quite the opposite actually; the Balance era was Eddie's first period of sobriety. From what I understand, the band's long time manager died after For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and they replaced him with Ray Danniels, who is Rush's manager... and Alex Van Halen's then brother-in-law. Apparently Danniels played a key part in driving a wedge between Sammy and the Van Halen brothers throughout the Balance era and it all came to a head while they were working on the music for Twister. Eddie was trying to become a more "serious" songwriter and wanted to veer away from the band's trademark party-themed lyrics, and got upset with Sammy not taking to the change.

However I do think Eddie's drinking habits definitely played a factor in the mess that was the 2004 Van Hagar reunion tour. At the end of the day, I get the feeling that Eddie was generally a nice guy, but like you said- overtime he became his own worst enemy.

That said... hearing that there were actually plans of a Dave and Sammy Van Halen tour with Michael Anthony back on bass makes Eddie's death all the more tragic. I would've been there for that show in a heart beat. I'm glad I was able to catch them live in 2012 on the A Different Kind of Truth tour at least.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Almost too crazy to be true - sounds like a VH fan's dream come true.
Seeing how the Sam and Dave Sans Halen tour went, how Mikey was treated, and all the bad blood, there would have needed to have been a helluva lot of water under the bridge and all the egos deflated to have made that tour possible. Still would have paid a lot of money to see that show even once.

I saw them twice on the Balance tour and at least on stage, he never seemed impaired at the time.
I was a Hagar fan too before he was in VH and for the most part, post-VH has been pretty good. Chickenfoot was especially cool with Satch.
I don't know if it's as much, Sammy got to and still does, enjoy his music career, as much as it's, Eddie - for any and all reasons, "denied" the world of more VH music despite being so young. That's more of the sadness/disappointment that VH fans had.

Tour again? :/ It ain't the same and it never can be. Satchel from Steel Panther could try and Satriani is more than capable but, no one has the aura and I've never seen anyone actually play well enough that made me think they sound like Eddie.

ADKOT was a cool remix (?) album that I appreciated with a proper studio release of their demo stuff etc. I wished for years that we'd get a follow up but after the HW Bowl and comments from DLR ("we're done"), I knew chances were slim to none. I really like ADKOT, too.
As cool as it could be, I don't know if I'd want to hear posthumous VH unless it was actually completed by Ed n Al at least. Oh and Cherone, he was really good in concert. He sang DLR songs better than Sammy. Though VH III part two? I don't hate III but I certainly don't want another round of it.

All I know is that, for all of my life, VH has been my favorite band. While I never stopped listening to them, eventually cuz of a lack of new music and other groups putting out more music, they were constantly in my musical rotation.
They'll always be my favorite band, DLR or SH.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I know I'm late responding to this but man the news was depressing when I saw it. As someone who grew up on classic rock he was obviously someone I've been listening to for as long as I can remember.

Absolute legend.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm still not over it. It's not easy when one of your childhood heroes passes away. I started listening to his music when I was 7-8 and was blown away. I will always be thankfull to my oldest brothers for introducing me to the band. He's clearly rock's G.O.A.T.

I was lucky enough to see him live in the Balance tour. You just have to wonder how many kids this guy influenced to pick up a guitar and have fun, instead of doing stupid hurtfull shit.

My analysis of all this is that life is complicated and egos get in the way. But I'm sure they still cared for each other deep down, sometimes life drives you apart from people for whatever reasons but the things they did together can't be erased.