• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Hopefully this thread is okay. While I know there is now a consolidated thread for news of J.K. Rowling's bigotry, I think it would be irresponsible to bury this story in there.

This specific story is more about Eddie Redmayne than J.K. Rowling at this point, especially given his history (claiming to support transgender rights and being a cisgender actor who played a transgender character). It deserves its own spotlight.

www.yahoo.com

Eddie Redmayne Calls Out ‘Vitriol’ Against JK Rowling After Author’s Transgender Comments: ‘Absolutely Disgusting’

Eddie Redmayne defended J.K. Rowling after the author was slammed in recent months following her comments about transgender people, but he added that he disagreed with her on the issue.In an interview with the Daily Mail in support of his latest film, Aaron Sorkin’s “The Trial of the Chicago 7,”...

He said he has many 'trans friends and colleagues' who are 'having their human rights challenged around the world and facing discrimination on a daily basis'.

Though he disagreed with Rowling's comments on the issue, he was alarmed by the 'vitriol' hurled at her on social media, which he termed 'absolutely disgusting', and which prompted him to write her a private note.

However, Redmayne felt that the insults to trans people on social media is 'equally disgusting'.

Along with his comments about J.K. Rowling, Eddie Redmayne also recently talked about how he doesn't like to discuss political topics because he's afraid his public platform could end up serving as a detriment to causes he cares about

You can not claim that you care about transgender rights while simultaneously sending a "private note" to a known transphobic bigot because you feel bad that people are being mean to her because of her bigotry.

May 26, 2018
one is a super powerful celebrity whose campaign against human rights has caused people to try and end their lives

the other side of this issue is upset this is happening

BOTH SIDES!!!!!!

(also doesn't this go into the JK Rowling thread?)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Dumbass. Needs to do a little research on just how vile Rowling is.

That said, various trans members of the forum have expressed frustration at a new topic being made for every little thing in the Rowling saga of hate, making her and her ilk unavoidable topics.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already had a thread for this

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it stays Open this time, if not, the Nature of the big thread is really suspect.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me has to believe he is saying this to stay in her good graces and that trickles down to her not calling for him being fired from the "Fantastic Beasts" franchise. Though I'm not sure how much leverage she has with WB. The other Potter kids are done with the franchise so they have no monetary concern tied to voicing their opinions. They just get to live off the royalties and image recognition. Regardless, it is a damn shame he is saying this with the roles he has taken.

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me has to believe he is saying this to stay in her good graces and that trickles down to her not calling for him being fired from the "Fantastic Beasts" franchise. The other Potter kids are done with the franchise so they have no monetary concern tied to voicing their opinions. They just get to live off the royalties and image recognition.
He could choose not to say anything as well. Also, he is a famous actor, pretty sure he isnt hurting for job opportunities.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Part of me has to believe he is saying this to stay in her good graces and that trickles down to her not calling for him being fired from the "Fantastic Beasts" franchise. Though I'm not sure how much leverage she has with WB. The other Potter kids are done with the franchise so they have no monetary concern tied to voicing their opinions. They just get to live off the royalties and image recognition. Regardless, it is a damn shame he is saying this with the roles he has taken.

He wouldn't get fired. Not a chance in hell.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't there this extremely flawed/wrong gif/meme where this dude tries to play the both sides argument? And something about how meeting in the middle is swell? When it's clearly not.

Eddie Redmayne should be ashamed of this stance. She Who Shall Not Be Named is being extremely hostile and destructive against folks who are just trying to fight for their identity and rights.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
In response to community concerns, we're consolidating all news about JK Rowling the individual into a single thread here:

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...

Threads with significant news about Harry Potter or related media can still be made separately, and JK Rowling's transphobic bigotry can (and should) still be discussed in those threads, but stuff about JK Rowling herself and any updates on the awful things she does should all go in the thread above. This thread is being locked accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.