• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
him and Jeff Tambor make an great case for why not to let cis actors play trans roles
on top of the hundred other reasons ofc

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I will say that I kinda hate when I see people being like "Punch a TERF" or seeing people get aggro toward her on Twitter because frankly, it just feeds into JK Rowling's weird persecution complex and gives her shit to cynically point toward to say "Look, I'm getting death threats!" which makes her appear more sympathetic to people who are ignorant about the situation

I get why it happens - these are trans people who have been oppressed and abused for years, and who are right to be angry, but JK Rowling's whole strategy is basically to bait them into saying something stupid or aggressive in the heat of the moment so she can say she's the target of "abuse." I don't want to tone police, because it's understandable to be incredibly angry about her comments, I just wish she wasn't cynical enough to take advantage of those comments to make herself look more sympathetic. Of course trans people's emotions are going to be heightened when the debate she's trying to push is whether we should be allowed to exist in society or not, there's a lot more at stake for us than there is for her.

But yeah, fuck Eddie Radmayne, he's just trying to justify continuing to work on the Fantastic Beasts movies despite knowing Rowling is a horrible bigot who will profit off of them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Seems like every conversation about JK is being forcefully pushed over to "everyone's been mean to her".

So blatantly dishonest. Too many takedowns of her argument so the narrative gets shunted along to something easier to defend. Context be damned.

Part of it though is rooted in ambivalence. "I don't know anyone trans" or "this doesn't affect me" so they don't see why people aren't itnerested in opening up "debate" about this sort of stuff or coddling anyone who opposes their rights.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes wonder, when a person is on record claiming X, then suddenly find themselves 'motivated' to state Y, do they not understand it makes them look like a weak minded shitbag?

Wigdogger

Oct 27, 2017
...it's depressing how much sense this makes.

It's very true. The clip really lays bare the gimmick of that kind of casting... how it's basically a prop for the film to use. It's certainly a, for lack of a better word, transformative performance, but the actor is left kind of articulating half of the lived experience -- the external and less of the internal.

Oct 29, 2017
It's very true. The clip really lays bare the gimmick of that kind of casting... how it's basically a prop for the film to use. It's certainly a, for lack of a better word, transformative performance, but the actor is left kind of articulating half of the lived experience -- the external and less of the internal.

It always bothered me because how insulting it was to use cis actors because they're "bigger names"--the same excuse Hollywood has always used for not getting more black people or other minorities on either side of the camera.

I never thought about it in terms of how even thoughtful and well-done cis performances still reinforced the whole idea of trans women being "men in disguise."

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He probably thought "This thing about rich people suffering consequences by their heinous acts dont sit right with me, gotta say something about it".

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Quoting myself from the main JK thread:

For anyone reading and not understanding why Redmayne's comments are harmful, please consider this.

What he's saying can be seen as reasonable at a glance. He's calling out the specific, vitriolic, violent, hateful comments specifically and not the general condemnation of Rowlin'gs bigotry.

The issue here is that while some of those comments are indeed disgusting and incredibly counterintuitive, they are an extreme minority. Most people are not doing this. Most of the people angrily calling her out are not doing this either, anger itself is a valid response to hateful bigotry and is largely NOT the way these people try to frame it in their defense. There is also going to be a good deal of trolling from people who want to paint the movement against her as violent and hateful.

The point is that Rowling is using the extreme minority of responses like this to use as a shield against the entire movement, and it is rallying people to her side. And comments like Redmayne's lend credence to the idea that these comments are more prevalent than they are, and help skew the idea that general anger and condemnation is "violent misogyny" when it's a necessary response.

People like Redmayne should be calling attention to this, the fact that the vast majority of he movement against her is angry for a GOOD reason and is not resorting to the kind of hateful violence she is trying to use as a shield.

This is especially frustrating when that kind of hate is actually far more prevalent with TERF rhetoric and anti-trans sentiment. Remember, this entire thing is against Rowling's ignorant, pretty, hateful bigotry... she is using her platform to deny the rights of vulnerable people. On the opposing side is people just trying to exist without being denied, marginalized, and attacked. Anger on one side is justified, even hate to a degree. The other side has NO justification for their anger and attacks and hate, and THAT is the thing we need to focus on with 100% of our energy.

Perfection. Quoting your whole post because it's that damn good.

I will say that I think many of Rowling's supporters are ignorant of the arguments of the LGBTQ+ community, and have been manipulated by those who show them "mean responses to a woman who is just trying to protect women's spaces from dangerous men". This doesn't apply to Redmayne, because he already condemned her tweets and then walked it back, but the disingenuous presentation of the response to her argument has clearly won her a lot of support from people who don't know better. I hope that someone explains the totality of the situation very loudly to them, but it's much harder to succinctly explain why "im sorry, if u have penus ur a man!!!!!!" isn't actually true.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna quote myself from the other thread:

I can't believe these people are being so rude and emotional to this rich woman who is trying to politely invalidate the existence of a long suffering group of people.

People have every right to be angry at her trying to use her influence make these peoples lives even worse. She's not the victim here.

This shit has been going on forever but the rich old lady is the good guy becuase trans people/supporters don't want to take being treated like creeps and perverts on the chin anymore?

Redmayne needs to step outside and put himself in their shoes for a minute becuase god knows JK Rowling isn't going to.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This part from the Daily Mail interview where the rest of the quotes are from seems relevant:

Redmayne stressed that he had never taken a role for political reasons. 'I was compelled by the stories,' he told me. Which does not mean he doesn't have political views.

'I'd just rather focus my attention on what my job is, which is telling stories,' he said. 'If those stories can have an effect and shift people's opinions ...' Well, then, he's happy.

Like Hayden, he's aware of the 'ramifications' of taking action. 'Speaking out can end up doing damage to the things you believe in, rather than helping,' he said. 'What I try to do generally is keep my head down.'

Like, what he says first is alright, sometimes 'I just want to tell stories' is a valid position. Art can and should be political, but it doesn't always have to be.

But the last quote seems just defeatist to the point of 'I don't want to rock the boat by speaking out too much'

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Death threats are bad regarding yes

But this screams to me "think of the poor billionaire who's currently writing my checks, stop being so mean"

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This part from the Daily Mail interview where the rest of the quotes are from seems relevant:

Like, what he says first is alright, sometimes 'I just want to tell stories' is a valid position. Art can and should be political, but it doesn't always have to be.

But the last quote seems just defeatist to the point of 'I don't want to rock the boat by speaking out too much'

So, not only is he a coward but he is a coward who is too afraid to take any stance unless it will affect his paycheck. Got it.

I'm glad I never liked Eddie Redmayne. He's a scared white man who is happy to profit off of trans stories because he only sees them as stories, but has no spine to stand for or against trans rights. Fuck him.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Oh noes, someone was being mean to the shit person because of the shitty things they shittily did whilst being shit. We should feel sorry for them now! Fuck right off, Redmayne, you fucking protoplasm.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck him twice, once for this and once for the danish girl.

Hire trans actors for trans roles.

And since that clip is being shared I am going to say it again, don't feel like it can be said enough if you have Netflix and have not watched Disclosure please fix that and watch it. Very important piece of media and cuts to the point, especially about how media affects perception, even more so with trans people than other minority groups due to how few of us there are and how unlike other non-White,Christian,straight people there is a good chance a lot of people just honestly have never met or interacted with a trans person leaving media as their only view into these issues.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that the Academy is taking initiatives to be more diverse, while you have an Oscar winner who played a trans-character defending people like Rowling. By all accounts, Redmayne should give that award back, or the Academy has to tell him to hand it over.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I always despised the underlying implication of whataboutism like this that somehow the people angry at JK Rowling & bigots like her aren't entitled to be angry. She's on a massive platform stripping trans people of their humanity with faulty & worthless rhetoric & that isn't seen as violence in the eyes of people with zero skin in the game like Redmayne. Yet the people tired of trans panic defenses, epidemics of trans targeted murder, vilification of trans people as pedophiles, active sweeping legislation to keep them from public spaces or in institutions like the military, lack of diversity in hiring and creative representation on top of lifetimes of abuse within & outside of social media aren't allowed to be fucking furious at another insulated cis person coopting tired regurgitated anti-trans arguments to perpetuate the violence historically & currently being inflicted on/experienced by trans people. Like it's such a bullshit naive position that just shows that even though he is willing to use the veneer of being a queer ally as a shield, he's failed to internalize any of the actual realities of not just being trans but how oppression exists & persists for them.

It's the same with racism and sexism. These aren't bugaboos marginalized people talk about to keep ourselves busy. For trans people & other disenfranchised groups, these are conversations that we're staking our lives on; that have an effect on our safety, sanity and basic rights as human beings. This is the arena we're actually arguing in and in that reality of course people would be highly emotional & less than eager to treat it as some high school debate level bullshit. Shit isn't a fucking game.

Related and always worth repeating.

Thanks for this clip. I'm ashamed I haven't sat down to watch disclosure yet.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its really gross how the narrative around this seems to be quickly slipping into "oh the poor woman" overlooking the fact that she has caused some VERY serious harm to people who are in an extremely vulnerable place in most countries around the world.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
It's doubly awful considering he played a trans character before.

I swear I heard this sentiment from a trans person a long while ago that the point at which he took that role instead of stepping away to leave space for an actual trans actress was the moment he revealed his commitment to trans equality & allyship was always surface level.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont understand the title says "changes heart" when he actually didnt?

like, what he said is bad since he is not taking into account all the harm that JK rowling has brought upon so many people.

but he is not actually saying "you know what, jk rowling is right you all people should not exist!"

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Screw him!

Disappointing he has kind of backtracked on his initial statement. I wonder if his managers/WB pressured him given he is an ongoing part of the HP franchise. Either way it's still inexcusable.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
He actually condemned JKR tweets at first no?

The original article from the Daily Mail says he 'still disagrees with her', but it makes it seem rather like he's equivocating around it, and not directly addressing what it is she's actually said or why it's harmful in any particular way:
Another thing he stood up for was transgender rights, making a statement in support following comments by J.K. Rowling, whom he knows through playing Newt Scamander in her Fantastic Beasts films. (He's back on set at the moment, shooting a third movie.)

He said he has many 'trans friends and colleagues' who are 'having their human rights challenged around the world and facing discrimination on a daily basis'.

Though he disagreed with Rowling's comments on the issue, he was alarmed by the 'vitriol' hurled at her on social media, which he termed 'absolutely disgusting', and which prompted him to write her a private note.

However, Redmayne felt that the insults to trans people on social media is 'equally disgusting'.

He said: 'Similarly, there continues to be a hideous torrent of abuse towards trans people online and out in the world that is devastating.'

I don't know if there's a more direct interview and transcript, but framed like this - by the Daily Mail, it must be stressed - it seems like he... well... merely 'disagrees' with her, and views the matter of transgender abuse in more general terms, rather than really about what an author of Rowling's stature brings to the table

Edit: To put it another way, he's not as terrible as Robbie Coltrane, but still not doing right in this case