• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

With this addition Playtonic now has every character artist from the Banjo games under their employ! Dr. Puzz was my favorite character from Yooka-Laylee so I'll be excited to see more of his designs, though I think we can all agree his talent is being wasted if they don't make him a voice actor.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017

With this addition Playtonic now has every character artist from the Banjo games under their employ! Dr. Puzz was my favorite character from Yooka-Laylee so I'll be excited to see more of his designs, though I think we can all agree his talent is being wasted if they don't make him a voice actor.

No way that's awesome to hear!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need someone on their staff to tell them that the grunts and squeaks for voicework isn't cute and needs to be thrown out the window for some actual voiceover.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
They need someone on their staff to tell them that the grunts and squeaks for voicework isn't cute and needs to be thrown out the window for some actual voiceover.

e3a52d9608d5529c5bc9628f8f9089e8.png

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much former Rare talent they've managed to get together. I would love to see what they could do with a bigger budget.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah. The impossible lair has proven their abilities after the rough first game.
Can't wait for the next game.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Rare should just make a contract with them to build an official Banjo game. They have the interest and skills to do it, and obviously Rare is interested in exploring new IPs and ideas rather than going back to the stuff they were doing 20 years ago. This way you could please everyone: PlayTonic can stop building pretend-Banjo games and do the official ones instead (plus that Microsoft money comes in handy for sure), Rare can still make innovative games without people bugging them for going back to their roots, Microsoft gets to satisfy nostalgic gamers, and fans get a great Banjo game judging by the two YL games so far. It seems like such an obvious way to solve all the issues around Banjo and other historic Rare franchises.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I wonder if they will go back to making a 3D platformer again (Yooka-Laylee 2?) Based on their feedback of the first game. They have potential to make a game even better than Banjo-Kazooie!

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Microsoft and Rare should just make a contract with them to build an official Banjo game. They have the interest and skills to do it, and obviously Rare is interested in exploring new IPs and ideas rather than going back to the stuff they were doing 20 years ago. This way you could please everyone: PlayTonic can stop building pretend-Banjo games and do the official ones instead (plus that Microsoft money comes in handy for sure), Rare can still make innovative games without people bugging them for going back to their roots, Microsoft gets to satisfy nostalgic gamers, and fans get a great Banjo game judging by the two YL games so far. It seems like such an obvious way to solve all the issues around Banjo and other historic Rare franchises.
Yes, yes and YESSS.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This would not be a bad idea for imo

With their current budgets Playtonic will never make a "modern" Banjo with animation like Luigis Mansion 3

With MS budget they absolutely could (with outsourcing etc)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible Lair is no joke one of the best games of the year. Super excited to see what they do next

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It would be cool to see what Playtonic could do with some Nintendo cash. Like the old times when Rare worked with Nintendo. Could get some western exclusives under their belt. Microsoft would also be a good choice but I think Nintendo probably understands their vision a lot more than MS does.

watkinzez

Oct 25, 2017
Straya mate
I recall Ed being a bit down in his tweets after being laid off from his job making children's storybook apps, so I'm glad he's found his feet again.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Funny, I think Dr. Puzz is by far the worst design in Yooka-Laylee and it doesn't fit with the rest of the cast at all. I'm sure he can come up with great designs though. I'm excited for their next project!

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

I've been thinking this for a long time. Makes perfect sense!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us Yooka Laylee Racing.

Or better yet, Indie Karting All-Stars.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Ed and Playtonic! Glad to see they're still expanding and doing well. Even though I backed it, I didn't enjoy Yooka-Laylee 1 all that much. I still had fun with it, but it just wasn't all that great to me.

Impossible Lair, on the other hand, was incredible and I loved every minute of it. One of my favorite games this gen without a doubt. I really, really want a sequel. Preferably a dark-toned one similar to DKC2. I'm still chasing the feelings that game is able to give me.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, seems like the only people they're missing from back in the day are the Stamper brothers at this point. Rare 2.0 in full force. Can't wait to see what they do next.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I was lukewarm on Impossible Lair as the first but ended up having an incredible time and went for 100% over the weekend (not including the ludicrous no-bee challenge). Easily one of my favorites of the year and I now want to go back to play the original.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Great news. I love Playtonic and can't wait to see what they do next. Impossible Lair is one of my favorite games this year and the original Yooka Laylee is underrated as hell.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
As someone with two daughters who love Yooka-Laylee and can't read yet, I agree.

When I was barely able to read I once annoyed my grandma who was babysitting me because I kept stopping her from mowing the yard to come in and read all of Gruntilda's snippets to me as I was walking around the Banjo Kazooie hub world.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Three way partnership between Nintendo, Microsoft and Playtonic would be cool.

Nah they'll make a Kinect 3 bird game.

Nah the force at Microsoft pushing Kinect is no longer there. The studios are free to make what they want.

Hire Chris Seavor next and do a next-gen Conker game

He loves the character and a sequel was fully designed out apparently but I'm not sure he wants to work in it anymore.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Three way partnership between Nintendo, Microsoft and Playtonic would be cool.

Nah the force at Microsoft pushing Kinect is no longer there. The studios are free to make what they want.

He loves the character and a sequel was fully designed out apparently but I'm not sure he wants to work in it anymore.
Pretty sure he would say yes given the chance. It's his magnum opus.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Their 'spiritual successor' to Banjo was critically panned and sold relatively poorly.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Wow, I genuinely didn't realize both Mayles don't work for Playtonic. I incorrectly assumed they both left Rare to start it up. I stand corrected, they're missing 3 of the big names from back in the day.

You're still missing probably about a hundred more.

Playtonic doesn't represent old Rareware at large. Only really the Banjo team. Quite a few are even still at Rare.

Hire Chris Seavor next and do a next-gen Conker game

Why would Seavor need to collaborate with the former Banjo team at Playtonic when he would probably need to collaborate with Rare who still have some key members from the Conker team working there (Robin Beanland, Chris Marlow, Louise O' Connor)?

Sep 29, 2019
Their 'spiritual successor' to Banjo was critically panned and sold relatively poorly.

But that game was done on a relatively small budget and timeframe. With rare and MS input they would have more money, bigger team, much more recognised character and also can use the the feedback from YL (which is really underrated in my opinion) to make a solid Banjo game.