• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
6 months income in savings is basically enough to get you through job replacement at near full employment with no economic impact to your QOL.

of course it's a privilege to the upper-middle class and above only.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Savings as an adult should really only be for a home down payment or retirement. If you find yourself "saving up for something" you can't really afford what you're saving for.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I have enough invested in a retirement account, but I'm not sticking that money in a savings account for emergencies. I'll liquidate assets if I have to.

Oct 29, 2017
I have a long term emergency fund in case I lose my job (10k) and I'm currently building a smaller emergency fund for things like car issues and the like. It'll max out at 1.5k. Both are in online savings accounts with interest around 2%. I have some other savings accounts for things like vacation, house savings, etc.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your cashflow and savings don't dictate that you can just buy something outright then don't buy it.

If you have a monthly recreation budget of $100, and want something worth $1000, saving most of your recreation budget for a year to buy that thing is a very very normal and responsible thing to do.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
Why not put the actual amount in the thread title? Why create clickbait?

3-6 months is what I'd shoot for. I was always a fan of this simple flow chart from reddit. There's a more robust version on their personalfinance subreddit wiki.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha, your floor for an emergency fund amount is that it covers full out of pocket cancer treatment?
Shouldn't it be?
Otherwise it's "emergency, but not that emergency" fund.

It's not only cancer really, it's pretty much any serious medical expense, I was using cancer as an example of something you can't just bankrupt your way out of.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it be?

It's not only cancer really, it's pretty much any serious medical expense, I was using cancer as an example of something you can't just bankrupt your way out of.
Except a serious medical expense like that could bankrupt someone and/or be life-altering at most income brackets. It's unreasonable to expect a low income person to build up a fund to that level.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I'm living paycheck to paycheck. Wheeeeeee~

Funny enough, each of my paycheck is just shy of that amount every couple of weeks. But they all vanish due to medical bills. Wheeeeeeee~

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i am confused. 2500 does that include rent and food? if so, how does that help you after 1 month?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't it be?

That's why people have insurance. No reasonable emergency fund is going to cover super expensive medical treatment. An emergency fund is savings for normal emergencies, like if you need to go to urgent care or something, a car breaks down, or you have other normal unexpected expenses.

I swear to god 90% of the posters in here didn't go beyond the thread title/OP.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why people have insurance. No reasonable emergency fund is going to cover super expensive medical treatment. An emergency fund is savings for normal emergencies, like if you need to go to urgent care or something, a car breaks down, or you have other normal unexpected expenses.

I swear to god 90% of the posters in here didn't go beyond the thread title/OP.
I was talking about people with insurance. A lot of people don't have great insurance in this country and a lot people will have to pay way more out of pocket than $2,467 in case of a serious medical emergency.
I don't know, maybe we're working on a different definition of the word "emergency". Seem weird to talk about emergency fund and exclude the number one reason people go bankrupt in the US.

If I was giving people advice about an emergency fund, I would say you need to try to save at least as much as your annual deducatables. I fully understand that this is totally out of reach of a ton of Americans, and that sucks, but the solution is not to pretend that 2 and half grands in fine.
You are gambling that you won't get sick.

Deleted member 49482

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
1.5 to 2 years of cash funds and another 2-3 years of money I can take out of a RIRA without any fees or taxes. And that's with buying a new car at the beginning of this year. Definitely doing good. I'll put some of that cash into real estate eventually, but I'm in no rush with this housing market, and I don't have a strong desire to take on the costs and responsibilities of home ownership right now as a bachelor.

have zero in savings, on purpose, and have never put a single penny into a pension

i am in an extremely fortunate position (seriously, i can't stress enough just how lucky i 'know' i am) where my 94 year old granddad is leaving me 250k

the entire amount will be put to specific planned out use, and aside from a slither of fun money, none of it will be wasted

aside from that, i've lived my entire adult working life pretty much resetting myself to zero every month
I find this sort of interesting because, depending on your age, $250,000 is not a lot of money if you have no other sources of savings or retirement funds.

I have no clue if you "reset to zero" because your salary and expenses demands it, but if not, you should really consider putting money into a retirement plan (ESPECIALLY if you have any matching provision, and doubly so if you are on the younger side of retirement).

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
6 months income in savings is basically enough to get you through job replacement at near full employment with no economic impact to your QOL.

of course it's a privilege to the upper-middle class and above only.
LOL what the fuck does this mean? I will soon have 6 months saved up and I'm far from being upper-middle class.

$250,000 is not a lot of money if you have no other sources of savings or retirement funds.
Now that's some upper-middle class shit.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
I need to have enough to be able to survive without income for one year, albeit with sacrifices of course. It takes time but it's worth the piece of mind.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, to everyone saying "Just $2500?", remember that most people don't even have that much saved. The point is that it's a start; if you're in a solid enough financial situation that you can save $2500, you're probably in a good enough position to start saving $4000, or $10000. Money begets money.
yup.

there's a threshold where you can buy most of the things you really care to have and everything else is such an extraneous afterthought that you figure you'd rather just not spend the money than buy more stuff. that's when most people tend to save.

you caaaan save a lot of money even on a lower salary with the right circumstances, but i don't think people really feel comfortable saving decent amounts until they're around 60-80k a year depending on where they live, and that's well above the median for the US.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like this is unrealistic bullshit....or specifically centred around the United States with its rubbish healthcare system.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went through an unemployment lull (just like 2 weeks), but had enough to last me like 4-5 months with zero changes to lifestyle. Around 15k, not counting 401k's and stuff.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I currently have a bout $6000 saved up, at the start of the new year im gonna stick it in saving and sorta star over in my checkings

Dec 12, 2017
Me and my girlfriend have about a year, but in Fort Green/Downtown Brooklyn in a new building it's a fucking lot. We're looking to eventually use our emergency fund to buy a condo.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
That's so weird. My Fidelity account is telling me that I need to have saved 4 times my annual salary by the time I'm 40 (lol!). I have to save that much for "retirement," but can skate by with two grand for emergencies? Someone's lying to me.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's frustrating. Every time I want to start saving I have to pay for something else. I just spent about 3k on my car. If I didn't have student loans either, I could easily be saving like 2k a month. Sucks.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have about 10k short of my yearly salary in my savings account, but I could definitely subsist on that for a year if I had to.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I have a decent amount in a high yield money market (2+ percent return) so I probably have a few years worth.

have zero in savings, on purpose, and have never put a single penny into a pension

i am in an extremely fortunate position (seriously, i can't stress enough just how lucky i 'know' i am) where my 94 year old granddad is leaving me 250k

the entire amount will be put to specific planned out use, and aside from a slither of fun money, none of it will be wasted

aside from that, i've lived my entire adult working life pretty much resetting myself to zero every month

Uhh..... not sure how old you are or you living expenses but 250k isn't enough to retire on and you are missing out on compound interest by not saving now.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is for low income families.

But that being said, $2500 would barely cover 1 month of mortgage, let alone insurance, gas, food, utilities, etc....

Mar 3, 2019
I know this is for low income families.

But that being said, $2500 would barely cover 1 month of mortgage, let alone insurance, gas, food, utilities, etc....

Your mortgage is almost my entire monthly take home salary. Reading this thread has been a real eye opener on just how rich some people are here, I can only dream of being wealthy enough to worry that only 16k isn't enough for savings...