• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I think one of the issues with this comparison is that it is one event in one place. Olympics is going to be handling multiple events at multiple venues over multiple days. That is probably going to tax the system severely.

I still think they will pull it off without disaster, but unless people actually do opt out of going to work en masse the lines are going to be very very crowded.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why and how Paris is more expensive than Zürich and Geneva?
Because rent and real estate prices are insane, due to the notion that the market won't ever get down due to the popularity of the city.
Other cost of living like food are as expected for a big city, but if you don't want to live in a dump, you have to pay a lot (>12000€/m2, or >24€/m2 if you are renting)

Which gets even worse if you take the salariea into account, as people earn a lot less than in Switzerland.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the issues with this comparison is that it is one event in one place. Olympics is going to be handling multiple events at multiple venues over multiple days. That is probably going to tax the system severely.

I still think they will pull it off without disaster, but unless people actually do opt out of going to work en masse the lines are going to be very very crowded.

Also, the general increase in tourism/interest with 5.2 million tourists visiting Japan in 2002 compared to 31.1 million in 2018, and with hopes of 40 million in 2020 :P

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also, the general increase in tourism/interest with 5.2 million tourists visiting Japan in 2002 compared to 31.1 million in 2018, and with hopes of 40 million in 2020 :P

Yeah, I posted on the previous page that one thing I prefer about Osaka is how much less crowded it is, but that's not even really true now. My neighborhood is mostly fine but the shopping districts can be phenomenally crowded in recent years.

Still less crowded than Tokyo in general, which is why I am not really looking forward to my TGS trip this week! The stations and trains seem more crowded every year I go.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get these lists. I guess they make sense if they aren't taking income into account and assume people have unlimited resources. Not seeing how Toronto is anywhere near the top considering the housing market here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I live in New Zealand, just visited Tokyo for the second time, and arrived in vienna 2 days ago.

I wouldnt live here if you paid me. I was here for 30 mins and was approached by a creep that made me not want to leave the hotel room. I just want to go home :( probably doesnt help that im homesick, but I would rather live in Japan than Europe. But I also like New Zealand so I think ill just stay there when I get back lol

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Melbourne's awesome though.

Too many hipsters and not many things to do, but I've been here for more than a decade.

Public transportation is terrible (when compared to other big cities in Japan).

Was in jest, I lived there for a bit. Actually preferred it over Osaka or Tokyo - just have to avoid the tourist horde.

I have family living right in the city, within the Yamanote circle in fact and they are not very excited about the Olympics happening next year. Like, at all.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get these lists. I guess they make sense if they aren't taking income into account and assume people have unlimited resources. Not seeing how Toronto is anywhere near the top considering the housing market here.

The housing market is pretty shit in almost all major cities though and this list seems to be taking housing costs into account. Zurich and/or Geneva not being the top in terms of living costs points to that. It's bad there too, but especially on the low end wages tend to be higher than in other places.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto is great but it is also freezing most of the year so that should be considered as that is not for everyone. I feel like winters here are getting longer.

Nov 2, 2017
Vancouver is a nice city, but it's like San Francisco JR in how much it costs to live there. A friend of my aunt's had waterfront property from back in the 80s and she's a millionaire now just from selling her home.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Time to move to Austria.

I'd love ti live in Vienna. It might be my favorite European city, or at least from what I can tell. I know my tastes pretty well and it seems to check all the boxes in terms of culture and architecture.

If anything else, it's known for its fantastic music!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're the kind of person who looks at top 10 lists of best cities in the world to decide where to live, you probably can afford $210 NYC hairtcuts.

But if you're the kind of person who gets $210 NYC haircuts, you would be fine getting $210 hair cuts anyway so it wouldn't figure into your living decisions.

No one's moving from NYC to Osaka to save $150 on haircuts.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Eh? Tokyo has some of the best infrastructure and public transportation on the planet. Will handle Olympics with ease

Come take the Tozai line. I swear it has to be the worse Metro line in all of Tokyo. I have no god damn clue how Tozai is even going to handle the extra people. Peak hour is going to be so so bad.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Come take the Tozai line. I swear it has to be the worse Metro line in all of Tokyo. I have no god damn clue how Tozai is even going to handle the extra people. Peak hour is going to be so so bad.

Of course congestion is bad on certain lines, I imagine yamanote would get alot worse for example, but they have plenty of experience of event planning.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
You really can't find anything to do in Melbourne? Relative to the rest of Australia, the arts, entertainment and food/bar scenes are strides ahead and there are plenty of beaches an hour or two outside the city for when summer rolls around.

Done most of those things, but honestly it's most probably just me. Getting old and being more interested in historical stuff at the moment.