• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
1. Vienna
2. Melbourne
3. Sydney
4. Osaka
5. Calgary
6. Vancouver
7. Toronto
8. Tokyo
9. Copenhagen
10. Adelaide

W2ny7QO.png

Vienna prides itself on its abundance of music and art, its grand architecture and its one-of-a-kind Kaffeehauskultur. According to an annual index compiled by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), a sister company of The Economist, the Austrian capital is the most liveable city in the world for the second year running. On the EIU's index, which ranks 140 cities on 30 factors bunched into five categories—stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure—Vienna scores a near-perfect 99.1 out of 100, putting it just ahead of Melbourne. Sydney and Osaka fill the next two spots in a top ten dominated by Australian, Canadian and Japanese cities. Higher crime rates and ropey infrastructure pull some bigger cities like London, New York and Paris down the league table, despite their cultural and culinary attractions.

Overall, scores have gone up since last year. In all, 27 cities have become more liveable by the EIU's reckoning, whereas 15 saw their scores fall. The biggest improvement came in San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico, which rose 20 places to 69th—but that owed much to investments in health care and infrastructure after the devastation wrought by Hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017. Sydney, the only climber in the top ten, went up by two places thanks to an improvement in its environment score. The Australian city is working to combat the impacts of climate change, outlined in its "Sustainable Sydney 2030" strategy. By contrast, worsening air pollution caused New Delhi to drop six places to 118th and Cairo to fall two places to 125th.

Last year's thread

& some report pages

Vienna remains the most liveable of the 140 cities surveyed by The Economist Intelligence Unit. After displacing Melbourne from the top spot in 2018, ending a record run of seven consecutive years, Vienna retained its position at the head of the survey in 2019. The two cities continue to be separated by 0.7 percentage points, with Vienna scoring 99.1 out of 100 and Melbourne 98.4. Two other Australian cities feature in the top ten: Sydney (in third) and Adelaide (tenth), while only one other European city, Copenhagen in Denmark (ninth), scores among the best. The other top ranked cities are split between Japan (Osaka in fourth and Tokyo in joint seventh) and Canada (Calgary in fifth, and Vancouver and Toronto in sixth and joint seventh, respectively). The cities within the top ten remain unchanged from our previous update, but there has been some movement in their ranking. Sydney has risen from fifth to third, thanks to an improvement in its culture and environment score, reflecting an increased focus on combating and mitigating the impacts of climate change, as outlined by the city's "Sustainable Sydney 2030" strategy. However, Sydney remains behind its great rival, Melbourne. With both cities already scoring very highly across all categories, there is only limited potential for Sydney to displace either Melbourne or Vienna at the top of the rankings. No other city in the top ten saw a change to its score.

ETpzgud.png

30PGDmP.png

Imagine thinking Calgary or Toronto or Osaka is better than Tokyo 🤔

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yet all people do in Vienna is complain.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet all people do in Vienna is complain.

Yep lol. Education 100 is really surprising to me though. And with all the "healthcare" issues that we have as a public opinion, with all the hospitals being overfilled etc.. welp.

Edit: Just went through it, and 100 in education seems to be easy to fulfill. Gotta make it honest and then we would see only cities from Norway, Finnland, Iceland, Singapore and Japan up there.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Not sure how Osaka ranks ahead of tokyo in these things? Does it have cheaper tax or something?

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god. Not again. Melbourne is more livable than Sydney. I won't hear the end of it from my relatives who live in Melbourne who always berated Sydney and elevate Melbourne even though deep down they know Sydney is a better and more famous city.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Lower average cost of living, I'd say.
Rent is through the roof in Tokyo, Osaka is much more affordable.

Osaka is also just a better city to live in period. People are much friendlier here than in the capital.

Wouldn't say rent is drastically different(lived in both by the way).

As for the Osaka warm welcome, people are amazing etc, not that massively noticeable

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Osaka is also just a better city to live in period. People are much friendlier here than in the capital.
So much more to do in Tokyo though. I guess if a lot of your time is spent talking to strangers then the anecdotal and questionable "people are friendlier" metric would be good.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure how Osaka ranks ahead of tokyo in these things? Does it have cheaper tax or something?

Looking at the rankings it seems to be mostly because of a slightly higher rating for Infrastructure.
Maybe it's because Osaka public transportation isn't quite as over-crowded? I still have no idea how Tokyo is going to handle the Olympics tbh.

I personally much prefer to live in Osaka as it's just a little bit less crowded.

So much more to do in Tokyo though. I guess if a lot of your time is spent talking to strangers then the anecdotal and questionable "people are friendlier" metric would be good.

There isn't that much more to do in Tokyo to be honest, outside of limited events and concerts I guess.
On a day-to-day basis it's just a lot more urban sprawl with the same things you can do in Osaka.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Looking at the rankings it seems to be mostly because of a slightly higher rating for Infrastructure.
Maybe it's because Osaka public transportation isn't quite as over-crowded? I still have no idea how Tokyo is going to handle the Olympics tbh.

I personally much prefer to live in Osaka as it's just a little bit less crowded.

Eh? Tokyo has some of the best infrastructure and public transportation on the planet. Will handle Olympics with ease

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Eh? Tokyo has some of the best infrastructure and public transportation on the planet. Will handle Olympics with ease

I don't think it will be a disaster or something, but there are already some lines in Tokyo that feel like they are completely over capacity during normal rush hours.
It's definitely some of the best infrastructure on the planet (but that's all of Japan's major cities really) but it's still going to be pushed to its limits with the Olympics.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I don't think it will be a disaster or something, but there are already some lines in Tokyo that feel like they are completely over capacity during normal rush hours.
It's definitely some of the best infrastructure on the planet (but that's all of Japan's major cities really) but it's still going to be pushed to its limits with the Olympics.
Yes, thzt article posited by signal was Intersting. Challanges ahead.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an overall list featuring all cities surveyed? Curious as to where mine falls on it.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If the London underground could handle it, Tokyo will be fine. It just needs good management and excellent volunteers making sure everything is going in the direction it should be.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn these lists. We Australians want people to think we're full of deadly things so they don't want to come here and live in our great cities. Stop revealing our secrets.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver? I just got done seeing hordes of people shooting up on the same block as white people enjoying their brunch. Lmao.

But given the other cities and Vienna at the top, I think they know what they're talking about. Vienna is a sleepy city but it is the most impressive in terms of liveability

Last edited:

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Average price for women's haircut in Paris is $119?
Where do these people go? Or is there one place where a haircut cost a million and screws the average?

I also like that none of their index takes into consideration race or LGBT-ness.

Hahahaha.
Hahahahahaha.
Hahaha.

Japan pretty good at organising shit, just look it up. Football world cup, was fine

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd like to see a revised ranking for black and brown people.

I've been to some of those top 10 cities and as a black man I would neveeeeever eeeeeeeeeeever want to live in those places.