• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
First things first : I've never been a big fan of online multiplayer gaming. Something always felt off. I've tried pretty much every genre and lots of classics, from The Fourth Coming to Fortnite, with a lot of League of Legends, Hearthstone, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Pokémon TCG Online and the obvious Call of Duty in between. I can understand why people dig it and I really wish I did : playing online with your friends is like gathering at a skatepark. It's about hanging out, talking shit, sharing a moment rather than being good. And yet it never clicked with me. I was more a "grab your gamepad or your Switch and come to my place I also have a lot of retrogaming consoles if you fancy a good ol' Goldeneye 64".

But that was until Echo Arena VR on the Oculus Quest.

echo-arena-660x330.jpg

Bit of a backstory : Echo Arena VR is a free game for Oculus Rift and Oculus Quest based on Lone Echo, a game in which you play a robot and you do stuff (I haven't played it) (looks nice though). In this spin-off, you play a futuristic sport : you're floating in a Zero-G arena with your teammates and adversaries (teams can be made of 2 to 5 people), your goal being to get the frisbee and throw it in the goals on the opponent side. Fairly easy to grasp and basically the very idea of "what would sport look like in the 2020s according to the people in the 80s".

And it looks like this :

Oh yeah, and this game is free!

There are a lot to unpack and I could talk about it for ages, even though I am roughly 10 hours in on the Quest. But the sheer exctasy of floating in Zero-G while staying alert, punching your way out of a melee, performing your first goal and the many more to come... It just FEELS like a proper sport. And hanging out with your friends in VR in this game? It's the best multiplayer experience I've ever had. You never cease to have this ridiculous smile (VR + zero-G, I mean come on, of course it's AMAZING) and perpetual adrenaline shots in game. Then, hanging out in the lobby for a quick debrief feels like chilling in a pub! Very few games have properly made me sweat, but I genuinely have to take a shower after 1h30 of Echo Arena. If you ever get a Quest or get to try one, Echo Arena VR is amazing. And because your brain is tricked into thinking you're living the real thing, it's MILES beyond what you could experience if this game were flat.

Of course, there are a couple of downsides:
- Some people might endure motion sickness. I hope it won't be your case (I didn't, and I got sick on Mission ISS, the other zero-G freebie on the Quest)
- The tutorial is soooooooooo long and frustrating, but it's only 15 minutes long. It's also necessary, but once it's done, it's done. There are no tricks, no hidden controls... Only skills. And a decent ping.
- The Quest version is still a bit behind its Rift counterpart, but the wirelessness makes it the BEST way to play it. I keep turning around, crouching... It'd have wrapped myself if I were plugged to my computer.

All in all, the more I invest time in the Quest, the more I love this machine. So far, it's the ultimate home arcade gaming machine for me!

Have you tried it? What did you think of it? Also, if you've got the game, would you be interested in a private Era match at some point? How do you feel about the game?

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Along with Beat Sabre and Rec Room a stand out for me, people are really funny in the game too from my experiance.

I'm down for a era game any time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
oh damn, this hit Quest?

ive seen gameplay of it before and thought it was super neat looking

OP
OP
DrHercouet

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Along with Beat Sabre and Rec Room a stand out for me, people are really funny in the game too from my experiance.
Yeah, also mostly very kind! Met some noisy german teenagers who like to teabag my avatar (zero-g kind of makes it really easy) but during the matches they were amazingly nice and fun (and done with the teabagging, thank go)

oh damn, this hit Quest?
Yeah! No later than last week IIRC

Scraggs

Oct 25, 2017
It's far too frantic for me, and the playerbase (at least at early ranks) are so toxic you have to mute everyone (even your own team), which means zero teamwork unless you're telepathic.

I appreciate some people love it, but I've tried it on Rift and now Quest and the toxicity and deliberate invasion of personal space makes it such an uncomfortable experience.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Can't go a day without playing it since the public beta launched. I'm down for an Era match and Era friends.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
Was in closed beta and played the latest open beta the other day. Fantastic experience. First VR game where I knocked into things outside the guardian boundary since I was so immersed and moving in the game. I feel like the number of high end experiences with the Quest is starting to hit a tipping point.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
My son was hesitant when I first downloaded it, but once he played it he loved it. It's a lot of fun and VERY immersive.

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
HOW DID I NEVER SEE THIS WAS ON THE QUEST NOW?!?!

This is literally the only reason I hadn't picked up a Quest, I was pretty sure the Quest didn't have it at launch right? I loved it on my OG Rift but always thought be be killer wireless. Looks like it's time.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Every game I've played so far is full of toxic or annoying kids. I'm glad they're having fun though!

I'll try it again, but having to mute everyone feels bad.

One more minor complaint is that the good players just dominate. They can basically control the game and it's tough to even get involved at first. I'm guessing there just isn't a big enough player base for newbie only games.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Every game I've played so far is full of toxic or annoying kids. I'm glad they're having fun though!

I'll try it again, but having to mute everyone feels bad.

One more minor complaint is that the good players just dominate. They can basically control the game and it's tough to even get involved at first. I'm guessing there just isn't a big enough player base for newbie only games.
It's certainly an issue. I've had a lot of fun though just hopping into the practice arena, flying around, practicing shots, etc.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping because I just got my Quest today and this was the first game I tried. It's so good. Omg.