• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
As a long time buyer on eBay, I recently started selling some items. Only a few items I no longer had use for, and some collectibles that I felt I no longer wanted. Well one of these items I sold is a Mother 3 Deluxe box set, which can go for a several hundred and is a nice collectible for fans of the series.

During the auction I received many messages from people wanting me to sell it to them directly outside of eBay. I ignored these requests and waited for the auction to end. The winning bidder seemed relatively odd in his messages and his location on the account was different than the shipping address on the eBay label. Regardless of that, eBay doesn't seem to allow for cancelling of bids very easily, and they paid right away.

The item was received by the buyer on Monday and last night the user requested a refund saying I did not ship him a few items of the set, most notably the charger. Now that in and of itself doesn't make much sense. The set value is derived from the collectible system, game and Franklin badge, not a gameboy micro charger. I, at this point, still thought he was a legit buyer and may have overlooked the charger, as the box set has several boxes tucked away in its compound packaging. I explained where everything was packed and how to access each component. He replied all the boxes were empty and it only contained the system. I requested that he send me a picture of the empty boxes. At this point he became angry, and it became clear something else was going on.

I called eBay customer support and was basically told I am required to accept the return and provide the buyer a shipping label. I went through that process and will wait for the user to ship the package back. The part that confirms this is a scam is that the buyer has another purchase which he received positive feedback for(made around the same time). On a whim I contacted the seller and asked if he would share the general location of the shipping address. The other seller indicated a shipping address which is not in the lower 48, which my item went to, and that the buyer also immediately requested a refund for his item. So right now I am basically waiting for an empty box to be shipped back to me, my PayPal account negative hundred dollars( because the return caused a hold on my account and the funds had already been transferred out), and from what I can tell very little chance of eBay doing anything to help me once I get an empty box back.

TLDR: Got scammed as a seller eBay. Scammer has all the power through eBay policy. Not going to get my item back.

OP
OP
iyox

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
It did. I questioned the buyer why the location was different from the general area that eBay displayed during the bidding. The address though was what printed from the eBay shipping label, so it wasn't like I took a different shipping address outside of what was provided directly from eBay.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Sorry, OP.

I buy things from eBay all the time but I would never sell anything there for this reason. I'll sell it locally if I want to get rid of something. I make less money that way but I would have a hard time dealing with a situation like the OP is right now.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't sell on eBay. Too much power to the buyers. Years ago, I sold some black ray and I wouldn't wear since I prefer brown. Brand new, but I labeled them as used, only included the original box since I had it and I get a message from a guy threatening to leave me back feedback because supposedly the box was damaged. I asked for pics of the damaged glasses and the jackass says the glasses are fine, but somehow the small rayban box they were in was crushed. I don't see how the glasses were fine, but the box was crushed, but long story short, I ended up having to refund a bit of the cash to save my feedback and I never sold there again.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Welcome to the wonderful world of selling things on eBay. Slightly related, I have learned the hard way to never ship anything to buyers with low feedback untracked, as 25+% of the times I do I get a refund request (which you are obligated to accept). However, tracking from Japan to basically anywhere is at least $6 which makes the whole venture unprofitable for most items.

I'm sorry that you experienced what you did. There is no recourse for sellers – the buyer has all the power. It is a completely broken system. I really don't know how anything of value can possibly be sold through the platform.

That said, I have been relatively lucky with my high value sales. But I am fully expecting one of them to backfire one day.

OP
OP
iyox

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating because their policy actually enables this sort of scam. I am going to have the package held at the post office and see if I can have a verifiable third party present when I receive and open it.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
eBay does everything in their power to fuck over the sellers. I used to sell a lot and then got scammed 3 sales in a row. So I don't do it much anymore.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That sucks OP. I've ran into one instance of this and once I noticed the different addresses I called eBay and they canceled the transaction for me. Hoping you're able to fight to get something done, but it sounds like an uphill fight.

OP
OP
iyox

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
If eBay doesn't fix this it will be laughable. The scammer had me send the item to TX. His return package for me was just dropped off in HI.

OP
OP
iyox

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never sell anything on eBay. It's bullshit and you're going to get scammed all the time with no recourse.

Yeah, it appears that eBay is even fully aware of the scam. The service rep on the phone was trying to tell me to wait and see what is ultimately returned to me. They failed to mention that I needed to have a police report filed and have the police present when I take receipt of the package. This only all came out as the proper way to have them rule in my favor after about 45 mins of chatting. Never mind that the buyer supposedly received a package in TX on Monday afternoon, filed a return complaint against me, then flew to Hawaii, and is now shipping their return from Hawaii rather than Texas. Of course during this entire process never mentioning anything about Hawaii. The belief the scammer has in eBay to completely disregard all these facts seems to indicate I am screwed.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I agree with not selling on eBay. I sold a camera lense that was in amazing quality and was told it didn't focus correctly and refunded. I got lucky because the guy took too long to return it and I got to keep the money.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder over the decades what percentage of eBay profits comes directly from scams?

and if ultimately that's a profit center that makes positive revenue?

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Tips for selling on eBay.
Photograph serial numbers and post them on the auction. If they return the item and the serial number does not match you can prove they swapped the item.
Don't ship to addresses not verified y PayPal.

I recently almost got scammed buying from Google shoppping. An item was $40 less than other sites. I paid with PayPal. They shipped a 3 ounce item to "me" but the item I purchased was 5 pounds. It was delivered yet I was home and didn't get anything.
PayPal said since it showed delivered I had no recourse. I explained how what I bought weighed more than they shipped but the didn't care.
I went to the post office and they were able to pull a photo of the label showing the item being shipped to my town but a different address. I sent this to PayPal and they quickly refund me.
People have figured out how to make it very difficult to get refunds from scams. Buying online from eBay or small shops is risky. I hate selling expensive items on eBay as I am always afraid of getting scammed.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
I was selling stuff a couple years ago and ran into a few different issues that were pretty bad as well.

Had someone request a refund as soon as they received the item, eBay said they should send it back. They never did and I ate the costs of everything ($80~ Cowboy Bebop set). Similar thing happened with books. Buyed requested Media Mail, gets made it doesnt get there in 2 weeks. Ebay said I owed a refund, item arrives later (like 2 days after estimated date of arrival from post office) and I dont get it back.

Overall, I think I will only use it for shit I want to get rid of but dont know where else to. Think I lost $200 worth of stuff, paid ebay and PayPal 15%~ and only brought in like $2000 (so really only like $1500 cash, minus shipping costs).

You might dispute the refund with the weight of the package. The PO receipt probably has a weight on it, so they should have one as well. Might not be able to, but could get ebay to pay you something.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
I try to avoid ebay as much as possible and sell on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I sold a Fallout 4 Pipboy edition on ebay and got screwed. The pipboy editions had a plastic sleeve around them that had the game info on it similar to what would be on the box, but my auction did not include pictures of the sleeve or mention it at all. However, I idiotically included the sleeve with the pipboy case when shipping it to the buyer and the sleeve had been slightly damaged from shipping to me from Amazon and the buyer on ebay complained and demanded a refund. I told ebay multiple times on the phone and through messages that the sleeve was only there as a courtesy and wasn't even a part of the auction. Didn't matter, they made me refund (and pay for return shipping? can't remember) and of course the pip boy case I got back was broken so I couldn't sell it again for full price.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah, it appears that eBay is even fully aware of the scam. The service rep on the phone was trying to tell me to wait and see what is ultimately returned to me. They failed to mention that I needed to have a police report filed and have the police present when I take receipt of the package. This only all came out as the proper way to have them rule in my favor after about 45 mins of chatting. Never mind that the buyer supposedly received a package in TX on Monday afternoon, filed a return complaint against me, then flew to Hawaii, and is now shipping their return from Hawaii rather than Texas. Of course during this entire process never mentioning anything about Hawaii. The belief the scammer has in eBay to completely disregard all these facts seems to indicate I am screwed.

If eBay screws you, file an arbitration request. That'll get eBay's attention.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got scammed for £120 on eBay once, I did everything right to protect myself but eBay still sided with him in less than 12 hours. Buying is fine but selling is a gamble.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
eBay will always side with the buyer if push comes to shove and it sucks.

One of my biggest annoyances (I regularly sell my used games on eBay) is how soft they are on bidders that win the auction but then are like "nah, I really don't want the item after all".
It's so fucking annoying to have a game listed for 10 days and then find out your buyer is a deadbeat.

The worst part about it, if I ship an item one day too late eBay is all over my ass. But if some jackass doesn't pay, I gotta wait a week, send multiple reminders and have to do the auction all over.
All the "no show buyer" gets is a slap on the wrist.

IMO eBay should at the very least invoice those fucks for 10% of the item price or sth.

tl;dr: If you really need the money, don't sell on eBay.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
The worst part about it, if I ship an item one day too late eBay is all over my ass. But if some jackass doesn't pay, I gotta wait a week, send multiple reminders and have to do the auction all over.

Just buy the shipping right away on ebay as it will mark the order as shipped even if you take a few days to drop off the package to the post office. For buyers who don't pay you can set up the rule for an unpaid item case to auto open after 48 hrs, buyer then has a few days to paid or if they don't the order auto cancel and you get a credit from ebay on your selling fees. Its still annoying to wait but since its auto you don't have to actively do anything.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seems like you have to film yourself enclosing the item with its serial number in front of the postal service employees as you tape it up and they accept it, just to prove you did mail the item as described.

May 30, 2018
Seems like you have to film yourself enclosing the item with its serial number in front of the postal service employees as you tape it up and they accept it, just to prove you did mail the item as described.
i have a couple items for sale on eBay right now and honestly already planned on doing this exact process even before seeing this thread - now even moreso.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd recommend it, to be honest. Nobody at the post office will care that you're wrapping and you'll have irrefutable evidence that it was mailed in the condition as described.

You can get a little phone tripod, prop it up on the table and put everything together right there.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Just buy the shipping right away on ebay as it will mark the order as shipped even if you take a few days to drop off the package to the post office. For buyers who don't pay you can set up the rule for an unpaid item case to auto open after 48 hrs, buyer then has a few days to paid or if they don't the order auto cancel and you get a credit from ebay on your selling fees. Its still annoying to wait but since its auto you don't have to actively do anything.

Yeah, I set that up recently. Helps a great deal.
Gotta be honest tho, the "no show buyers" aren't even that big of a deal for me financially, the extra hassle is also managable.

I'm more disappointed on a human level if that makes any sense?
Really don't give a shit if people buy shit off Amazon and send it back or whatever, these are businesses.
eBay to me (I had an account on the German predecessor back in 1999) was always about community (at least a little).
I don't expect private buyers to offer 24/7 service and I appreciate them taking their time, offering their stuff at a discount for me.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
Yeah, I set that up recently. Helps a great deal.
Gotta be honest tho, the "no show buyers" aren't even that big of a deal for me financially, the extra hassle is also managable.

I'm more disappointed on a human level if that makes any sense?
Really don't give a shit if people buy shit off Amazon and send it back or whatever, these are businesses.
eBay to me (I had an account on the German predecessor back in 1999) was always about community (at least a little).
I don't expect private buyers to offer 24/7 service and I appreciate them taking their time, offering their stuff at a discount for me.

I get it. I am going thru this with a buyer. Buyer messaged me asking if I would accept $13 for a used game, I said yes, he submitted the offer, I accepted it all within a 30 min window and now two days later he still hasn't bother to pay. I don't get it, what's the point of doing all that and then not paying?

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
What was the age of the buyer's account and his feedback rating? You can easily cancel bids while an auction is live so I watch mine like a hawk and cancel anyone that even remotely seems shady.

May 30, 2018
What was the age of the buyer's account and his feedback rating? You can easily cancel bids while an auction is live so I watch mine like a hawk and cancel anyone that even remotely seems shady.
can you something similar like turning down a buyer if you only have Buy It Now enabled? i'd love the ability of being able to turn low-ratings buyers away.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
can you something similar like turning down a buyer if you only have Buy It Now enabled? i'd love the ability of being able to turn low-ratings buyers away.

Setting buyer requirements

To manage who can buy from you, you can use our buyer requirements features.

But settings are a joke, if I feel like someone is shady, I just add them to my block list so they can't bid/buy anything from me or even message me.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I do that with more expensive stuff i sell. Though i dont do ebay anymore

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get selling stuff Ebay; I'm assuming most transactions go off without a hitch but all these stories from GAF/ERA made me never try that site at all

sorry for being duped OP.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Even if an eBay employee were to come along to the post office with you to inspect them item and watch you wrap and ship it I doubt you would be able to survive a buyer complaint.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I just bought an old video game magazine from ebay.

My first ever purchase there. Seems fine so far. It's true that all these stories over the years though have made me anxious to ever try the platform.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
You definitely have to be careful. I have gotten stung buying before when the seller refused to dispatch a PS3 slim after I had paid £130 and ghosted me and ignored all my messages.

On the selling side, all good so far, had one buyer who refused to pay which was annoying had to wait three weeks before I could open a dispute. I take photos of the item in packaging before being sent, then get a photo of the proof of postage, so tracking can proved via two means, both through Royal Mail's website and the proof of postage. That then gets sent to the buyer, so even if they ignore me, eBay can see those messages which helps my case.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP.

Stories like this are why I would never sell anything on eBay, no matter how small. I buy stuff through there but would never sell, exactly for reasons like this.

eBay's (lack of) protection for sellers is disgraceful.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

It's been a while since I usually do auction style, but I believe you can cancel it in that situation. I have rules set up on my auctions and even with auction style listings, if the person wins because I missed it or wasn't paying attention and they don't meet those rules, I can cancel it right then and there. Just don't want to make a habit of it or eBay will ding you. Been on eBay for 20 years and haven't had an issue outside of a return here or there, but you do have to be diligent and watch the hell out of your auctions until they finish.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend it, to be honest. Nobody at the post office will care that you're wrapping and you'll have irrefutable evidence that it was mailed in the condition as described.

You can get a little phone tripod, prop it up on the table and put everything together right there.
This is the ONLY way I would ever sell something on Ebay again.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I sold a couple hundred things on eBay a few years ago and only had a couple problem buyers. The most annoying one was a Transformer that had a broken piece - I said it was broken, took pictures of the part, described what was wrong in the listing - yet when the buyer got it they immediately asked for a partial refund because it was broken. And, of course, eBay made me give them the partial refund.

I had great experiences with almost everything else, though. Sold lots of games and collectibles and Transformers.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get selling stuff Ebay; I'm assuming most transactions go off without a hitch but all these stories from GAF/ERA made me never try that site at all

sorry for being duped OP.

I am a FT eBay seller and 99.9% of my transactions are fine with happy non scamming buyers. Yes, scammers are out there and sometimes you get scammed but honestly it is not as bad as it seems. People only post when they get scammed and that makes any company look bad. People don't makes posts about how many items they have sold with no issues. I've been on eBay 20 years, 3 years FT and I love it.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I had a problem on ebay was back in 2013. Since then sold tons of stuff without a problem, including some limited edition stuff for hundreds of dollars.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
eBay will always side with the buyer if push comes to shove and it sucks.

One of my biggest annoyances (I regularly sell my used games on eBay) is how soft they are on bidders that win the auction but then are like "nah, I really don't want the item after all".
It's so fucking annoying to have a game listed for 10 days and then find out your buyer is a deadbeat.

All the "no show buyer" gets is a slap on the wrist.

IMO eBay should at the very least invoice those fucks for 10% of the item price or sth.

tl;dr: If you really need the money, don't sell on eBay.

Yeah I don't know why eBay even bothers with auctions anymore. It's almost guaranteed that you get a deadbeat bidder cuz there aren't any consequences anymore.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I never sell anything over 100 dollars on Ebay anymore. It's just too risky. For stuff under 100 it's pretty good though I rarely have problems.

OP
OP
iyox

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
I am a FT eBay seller and 99.9% of my transactions are fine with happy non scamming buyers. Yes, scammers are out there and sometimes you get scammed but honestly it is not as bad as it seems. People only post when they get scammed and that makes any company look bad. People don't makes posts about how many items they have sold with no issues. I've been on eBay 20 years, 3 years FT and I love it.

I think it depends largely on what sort of items are being sold. This scammer seems to be targeting rare and collectible video game items. The buyer bought my item and filed a return, and a day before purchased and filed a return from another seller for "Devil's Third" for WiiU. What really sickens me about this is that eBay clearly is aware of this pattern of behavior, and seems to be hoping that sellers scammed by the same user don't find out about each other. As mentioned in my original post, I only found the other seller because he had left feedback right after the buyer paid. Once the buyer requested a refund, and given the oddness of the address, I decided to ask the other seller the general area where he shipped. Through that communication I learned that the buyer has an immediate pattern of behavior that eBay is fully aware of and allowing to happen.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends largely on what sort of items are being sold. This scammer seems to be targeting rare and collectible video game items. The buyer bought my item and filed a return, and a day before purchased and filed a return from another seller for "Devil's Third" for WiiU. What really sickens me about this is that eBay clearly is aware of this pattern of behavior, and seems to be hoping that sellers scammed by the same user don't find out about each other. As mentioned in my original post, I only found the other seller because he had left feedback right after the buyer paid. Once the buyer requested a refund, and given the oddness of the address, I decided to ask the other seller the general area where he shipped. Through that communication I learned that the buyer has an immediate pattern of behavior that eBay is fully aware of and allowing to happen.

Yes, that is very true too. Hopefully the buyer sends you your item back and you can relist it. If you do not get your item back you could always open a mail fraud case.

Oct 25, 2017
I've generally had success with eBay, but it's definitely weighted towards buyers and encourages this sort of scam.

Where at all possible, sell local. I'd take a lower payment for reduced chance for getting scammed out of money and product if something goes south.

As mentioned the category you're selling in makes a huge difference in how likely you are to get scammed.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
I've been selling on eBay for like 5 years and honestly, buyers like this have been rare. We have also been lucky enough to have eBay side with us a bunch of times whenever we have had disputes.

Oct 28, 2017
As a long time buyer on eBay, I recently started selling some items. Only a few items I no longer had use for, and some collectibles that I felt I no longer wanted. Well one of these items I sold is a Mother 3 Deluxe box set, which can go for a several hundred and is a nice collectible for fans of the series.

During the auction I received many messages from people wanting me to sell it to them directly outside of eBay. I ignored these requests and waited for the auction to end. The winning bidder seemed relatively odd in his messages and his location on the account was different than the shipping address on the eBay label. Regardless of that, eBay doesn't seem to allow for cancelling of bids very easily, and they paid right away.

The item was received by the buyer on Monday and last night the user requested a refund saying I did not ship him a few items of the set, most notably the charger. Now that in and of itself doesn't make much sense. The set value is derived from the collectible system, game and Franklin badge, not a gameboy micro charger. I, at this point, still thought he was a legit buyer and may have overlooked the charger, as the box set has several boxes tucked away in its compound packaging. I explained where everything was packed and how to access each component. He replied all the boxes were empty and it only contained the system. I requested that he send me a picture of the empty boxes. At this point he became angry, and it became clear something else was going on.

I called eBay customer support and was basically told I am required to accept the return and provide the buyer a shipping label. I went through that process and will wait for the user to ship the package back. The part that confirms this is a scam is that the buyer has another purchase which he received positive feedback for(made around the same time). On a whim I contacted the seller and asked if he would share the general location of the shipping address. The other seller indicated a shipping address which is not in the lower 48, which my item went to, and that the buyer also immediately requested a refund for his item. So right now I am basically waiting for an empty box to be shipped back to me, my PayPal account negative hundred dollars( because the return caused a hold on my account and the funds had already been transferred out), and from what I can tell very little chance of eBay doing anything to help me once I get an empty box back.

TLDR: Got scammed as a seller eBay. Scammer has all the power through eBay policy. Not going to get my item back.

I sold a $1500 guitar on eBay many years ago. The buyer wrote in weird English but the address was in NJ. Buyer received guitar 2 days later. 6 weeks later I get a message from the buyer that the box was empty. He files a claim immediately. My PayPal account went negative $1500 out of the blue.
He told me I needed to print out a label for him but.....HE WAS IN SOUTH KOREA!!!

Turns out he used a packaging forwarding service in NJ. This, at the time, was not allowed. I immediately called EBay and they found in my favor and cancelled his claim immediately.

This buyer has been sending me threatening messages through eBay ever since.

I refuse to use the platform any more.