• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies! $2.79, not $2.50. It's been a few years since I lived back home and could grab one of these every Saturday morning after the Costco shopping trip.

XfcsPTqsz7MScFtPkSM5wjYVFp_tRXxZqSA8Crb01mQ.jpg

I don't know if mine has that or not. I might have to go check.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Food should be free.

Okay so you're not even discussing the topic then because if Costco didn't do anything you'd still have an issue with the $1.50 hot dog and drink being sold.

What you want though should come from the government and not from the obligation of a private business.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so you're not even discussing the topic then because if Costco didn't do anything you'd still have an issue with the $1.50 hot dog and drink being sold.

What you want though should come from the government and not from the obligation of a private business.
It's not going to come from government because government was specifically designed to prop up capitalism. There are obviously varying degrees of what I have to accept, but yes, considering this is a regression it makes sense to critique it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to come from government because government was specifically designed to prop up capitalism. There are obviously varying degrees of what I have to accept, but yes, considering this is a regression it makes sense to critique it.
It's not going to come from a private business either though. How do you expect a business to spend all this money on food and then give it away for free? Where will they get the revenue to pay for that current and future food? It has to come from the government. If not, who does it come from?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not going to come from a private business either though. How do you expect a business to spend all this money on food and then give it away for free? Where will they get the revenue to pay for that current and future food? It has to come from the government. If not, who does it come from?
I guess that shows your thinking. It's not going to work within this system, what is needed is revolution and overthrowing the status quo.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My home Costco is costco#1 ie the first Costco opened in Seattle. Right now they are remodeling the food court so I don't know what's going o. But I can tell you at this Costco are always testing new foods. Before any Costco gets them.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
If cuts down the lines then I'll probably buy something there more often. The lines are usually too long to be bothered with.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
If cuts down the lines then I'll probably buy something there more often. The lines are usually too long to be bothered with.
Depends on where you are, but my guess is it won't have THAT big of an effect. The biggest change at my local Costco will probably be Pizza pickup. That line is usually 8-12 people long whenever I go by there around dinner time. This is with an outside food court.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So that chicken bake was pretty good. The real star of the lunch was the churro, though.

Man. We don't get Chicken Bake's or Churro's in Canada. Maybe a revolution is what's needed.

We do have poutine though, so maybe the status quo is alright too.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on where you are, but my guess is it won't have THAT big of an effect. The biggest change at my local Costco will probably be Pizza pickup. That line is usually 8-12 people long whenever I go by there around dinner time. This is with an outside food court.
Oh ya forgot about this. Just about every kid's birthday party I go to has Costco pizza since it's large and cheap. I can only imagine how many pizzas a year go to kids birthday parties and Costco probably loses money on those too.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Man. We don't get Chicken Bake's or Churro's in Canada. Maybe a revolution is what's needed.

We do have poutine though, so maybe the status quo is alright too.

I need to finally nut up and try poutine. There's actually a random Canadian pizza place around the corner here (Houston, TX) that sells it, and I keep telling myself to go get some, but I never have.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I need to finally nut up and try poutine. There's actually a random Canadian pizza place around the corner here (Houston, TX) that sells it, and I keep telling myself to go get some, but I never have.

Not all poutine is good poutine, I will say that. If there's shredded cheese on it, throw it back in their face and walk out. You need cheese curds (not the orange, deep fried Minnesota ones either). Costco does a really good poutine though, and apparently their gravy is vegetarian as well, which...I don't know if it makes it better, but somehow makes me convince myself it's not as bad for me.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't need to own the land, also got oceans anyone can use.
Just start a garden in your parents' back yard.
Good thing you don't need to own any land to grow food.

And that's enough to live off of? If I'm just living in a forest I won't have money to buy things and it's not like I'd be able to avoid having to file for income taxes,

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Not all poutine is good poutine, I will say that. If there's shredded cheese on it, throw it back in their face and walk out. You need cheese curds (not the orange, deep fried Minnesota ones either). Costco does a really good poutine though, and apparently their gravy is vegetarian as well, which...I don't know if it makes it better, but somehow makes me convince myself it's not as bad for me.

Well their website just says "mozzarella" but there's also a donair poutine which I have no idea about so maybe I should just go in and take the plunge.

Oct 27, 2017

So even if I go along with basic food being free, why should restaurant prepared food ever be free? Even under a system where all the ingredients are free, why wouldn't the service of making it have a cost? Time and skill have a cost under any system.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think either of the Costco's I've been to regularly allowed this anyway. But it's unfortunate to start now elsewhere, I guess? Feels kinda arbitrary; are people really gonna feel pressured to get memberships enough for it to matter?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So, people starve to death because they're just being lazy? People are poor just because their attitude is bad?
It's weird to me that there's all these reasons for you to explain why this is but then want to ignore all the reasons about why a business losing money on selling food.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's weird to me that there's all these reasons for you to explain why this is but then want to ignore all the reasons about why a business losing money on selling food.
I know why they do it, doesn't justify it. Slave labour in Asia and Africa is used to cut costs and increase profits, just because I understand why they do it doesn't make it OK.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Because it just goes back to the attitude I said at the beginning. People are comfortable with their lives so they don't give a fuck about what happens to others.

No, you're just trolling. You can get cheaper hot dogs (and other food) from the grocery store as has been shown multiple times. Costco changing a policy does not impact your ability to eat in any way at all when that $1.50 hot dog can be easily replaced at an even cheaper price. If you're in dire straits go to a food bank and get free food. I certainly have friends who have done that during rough times.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I know why they do it, doesn't justify it. Slave labour in Asia and Africa is used to cut costs and increase profits, just because I understand why they do it doesn't make it OK.
Yes but then you want them to do unreasonable things but when someone challenges you, you claim it's unreasonable. How can you expect unreasonable things and then claim the opposite when it comes to yourself?

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. I love the food court, but dont buy in bulk so a full membership wouldn't be much use to me. I wish they have an alternative like a food court only annual membership or higher prices for non-members.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well their website just says "mozzarella" but there's also a donair poutine which I have no idea about so maybe I should just go in and take the plunge.

I'm worried you're going to get a subpar poutine experience.

This place seems like it might be legit:

http://tubspoutine.com/home-landing/tpmenu/

or this one:

http://www.themapleleafpub.com/

Based on the pictures, I think you'll get a more legit poutine at either of those places. Just go for a "classic" though. You don't need meat or other toppings on a poutine. Cheese curds, gravy, fries. Nothing to hide behind there. Honestly, based on my google searching, Houston has more poutine places than my city does. I'm sure you can find a good one. Just make sure it's got those cheese curds!

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, you're just trolling. You can get cheaper hot dogs (and other food) from the grocery store as has been shown multiple times. Costco changing a policy does not impact your ability to eat in any way at all when that $1.50 hot dog can be easily replaced at an even cheaper price. If you're in dire straits go to a food bank and get free food. I certainly have friends who have done that during rough times.
Food banks here are once a month, I know because I volunteered for them before.
Yes but then you want them to do unreasonable things but when someone challenges you, you claim it's unreasonable. How can you expect unreasonable things and then claim the opposite when it comes to yourself?
It doesn't matter if it's unreasonable because it's a necessity. Either we overthrow capitalism or we die from ecological disaster. So, unreasonable as it may be you either support premature extinction of humanity or global revolution.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if it's unreasonable because it's a necessity. Either we overthrow capitalism or we die from ecological disaster. So, unreasonable as it may be you either support premature extinction of humanity or global revolution.
If you truly feel this way, maybe you should stop buying games and other entertainment? Use that money for better things like helping to change things or even to buy food for the poor and other charity programs. Are you doing that?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
So, people starve to death because they're just being lazy? People are poor just because their attitude is bad?

Nobody is going to starve to death as a result of this policy change. Nobody is going to become homeless as a result of this policy change.

You want to overthrow capitalism? Cool, that's probably a topic best unpacked in another thread.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. I love the food court, but dont buy in bulk so a full membership wouldn't be much use to me. I wish they have an alternative like a food court only annual membership or higher prices for non-members.

It really depends on how often you eat there I guess. To me the membership would be worth it for gas alone. Here in Toronto their premium gas is generally about the 10-20 cents cheaper per litre than most places near me. So I end up saving about $4-8 every time I fill up. That more than pays for the yearly membership.

Adding up how much I save on everything else makes it a no-brainer.
Food banks here are once a month, I know because I volunteered for them before.
Per location. You can go to a different location.