• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ouuufh I'm just talking about this topic right here, you have no idea what else to do in my life bro chill

Hey, I'm not knocking your charitable nature at all. If you took that the wrong way, sorry. I'm trying to praise, if anything. My point is just that Costco itself is not a charity.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It actually is pretty tasty. I've known plenty of pizza-enthusiasts who rank Costco pizza pretty high in terms of quality and value.

The Caesar salad with chicken breast they sell there for 4 bucks would easily go for twice as much (or more) anywhere else. For the price, they are easily one of the best values even if the food itself isn't the healthiest.

And 1.50 for a soda and a large (and tasty) hotdog is an insane value by just about any metric.

Absolutely agreed. Costco pizza is pretty damn good and their hot dog/soda combo is unbeatable in price. Honestly, their entire menu at my local Costco is really tasty and the prices can't be beat.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Hey, I'm not knocking your charitable nature at all. If you took that the wrong way, sorry. I'm trying to praise, if anything. My point is just that Costco itself is not a charity.

I really should have elaborated before I got snark, my fault , that's my bad. It's just a touchy subject I know a lot of people that my little anecdote applies to.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the chicken faux-grilled? Or could they source it from the very last batch of the rotisserie chicken that would otherwise end up in the dumpster at the close of business the day prior? I haven't purchased it so I don't know where the most expensive item in the dish could come from.

That's the question. My only reason for bringing it up is that it is one of the more expensive menu items and if you do a comparative analysis (by which I mean me eating salads at other places) a comparable salad would cost between 8-10 bucks.

As you know, chicken breast is relatively expensive but they clearly have a supplier, as evidenced by their in-store offerings.

So like I said, maybe. Or maybe not.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forget the $1.50 hotdog. Jersey Costcos have a sausage, peppers, and onions sandwich for $2.50.

Other Costcos don't and it makes me mad.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I just wish they'd move the dang food court out of the way of the exit at my Costco. It's like a wall of carts, tables, and condiment dispensers as soon as you get through checkout.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this microcosmic discussion vis a vis a membership fee for cheap fast food is a fascinating mirror into how Capitalism is a disease of the brain.

I paid my 50$ Only I should get a 1.50$ hot dog on my way out, it's not fair!

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The Costco near me actually started doing this a couple months ago. The guy at the exit would stop everyone trying to get to the food court and deny them without a membership card.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing they sell at the food court is sold at a loss. The only food item I can think of would be the rotisserie chicken, but you need a membership to buy that.

Got any receipts for this? The price hasn't changed in 35 years. Based on this and everything that's been said about it in various articles, I find it hard to believe unless you have some sort of evidence that says otherwise.

Lets have a discussiong about this, lets say they lose about 20% traffic at the lunch area for this. You don't think they will fire 1 employee since the dont need them anymore.

No, because the various employees have their role in the process. If you fire one of the cashiers then the wait time gain is lost. Plus, the fact that they aren't losing money on the food is a gain for them with the same number of employees and Costco has shown they are friendly to their employees.

Where are you living that there are gas stations with better prices than Costco? Costco is generally 20-30 cents cheaper than standalone gas stations where I've been.

Bay Area
I feel like this microcosmic discussion vis a vis a membership fee for cheap fast food is a fascinating mirror into how Capitalism is a disease of the brain.

Nobody has said or implied this though...

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Got any receipts for this? The price hasn't changed in 35 years. Based on this and everything that's been said about it in various articles, I find it hard to believe unless you have some sort of evidence that says otherwise.
You can get the receipts yourself - they sell the dogs/sausages in the store, and the buns. If I remember right, the polish sausages are $10 for 24 of them. And of course fountain soda is one of the cheapest things for any restaurant to serve.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Again, they make their money on membership and sell everything else for relatively cheap because of it. It's their business model. It's not a disease of the brain. The only reason this is even an issue is because they let everyone in in the first place and now people think it's their right to partake, when clearly it was part of member services. That was their mistake, not being exclusive sooner because I guarantee you that if they had, nobody would be complaining "why is costco not letting non members eat at their food court which has always been exclusive to members?"

For the couple of people that have said "why not just raise prices for non members" do you really think the same people wouldn't complain about that?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You can get the receipts yourself - they sell the dogs/sausages in the store, and the buns. If I remember right, the polish sausages are $10 for 24 of them. And of course fountain soda is one of the cheapest things for any restaurant to serve.
There's more to the cost of the hot dog than just the hot dog, bun, and soda. Are you forgetting the ketchup, mustard, onions, sauerkraut, cup, foil, straw, and napkin? Then beyond the cost of goods, there is the overhead of labor, power, and other materials involved with the process from start to finish.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

And what does it cost to provide electricity, heat/air conditioning, kitchen equipment, water, condiments, wrappers, POS systems, cups, straws, lids and staffing (which includes the cost of recruiting, hiring, training, and full compensation package) for the concession stand? If they're making so much money off of their $1.50 hot dog and drink combo's, why don't you see them sold everywhere for that price? MAYBE they don't "lose" money on the hot dogs, but there is no way they're making any money off of them either.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I stopped getting hotdogs after awhile usually I was full just from the samples in the aisle.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That was their mistake, not being exclusive sooner because I guarantee you that if they had, nobody would be complaining "why is costco not letting non members eat at their food court which has always been exclusive to members?"
Yep, we know this is true too because nobody is complaining about not being able to buy the $5 rotisserie chicken if you're not a member.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017

Someone did get receipts, and they are in direct conflict with this position. Unless you're arguing that the author of the article and/or Costco are being purposely disingenuous. Which again, need receipts to back up that sort of claim.

This....feels like a blatant straw man argument.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, maybe it is. I was just doing napkin math since the hot dogs come from the shelves in the store. When you buy the components to make them at home the price per dog has to be under $0.75, and that's the price I'm paying as a consumer vs the price the store buys the goods for. Soda can't cost much either, but then you have to add on employee salaries, building costs, ect.

Oct 27, 2017

You could easily twist that around to be:

"It's not fair that I can't buy things without a membership at the membership based store"

It's not like Costco hotdogs are some staple that you need to have to live. They're not even the cheapest, and certainly not the healthiest, way to get food.

Edit:
Personally, I don't care if non-members can buy it, but I don't think it's some horrible disaster that they can't either.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You could easily twist that around to be:

"It's not fair that I can't buy things without a membership at the membership based store"

It's not like Costco hotdogs are some staple that you need to have to live. They're not even the cheapest, and certainly not the healthiest, way to get food.

Difference is they put this outside the store and it's a change of policy

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An unenforced rule being suddenly enforced is still a change of policy
Eh, potato, pohtato. If you want to eat at the food court, get a membership. Or don't, and do not eat at the food court. It's quite simple. It's far from the cheapest way to eat a hot dog. Costco is a business, not a public service.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Not all of us can eat caviar and oysters, buddy. This attitude is why we couldn't beat Trump. The constant looking down on those that try to save money.

lol, I'm sorry, but someone being a little picky if even judgmental toward Costco fast food is now the reason we have trump? Good grief, you sure summed up quite a lot from that one sentence post you quoted.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
This is resetera, where there's a thin veneer of progressivism and people like to yell about how things like selling games though their non-favored launcher is "anti-consumer," but then there's a huge defense force for, say, a video game seller not accurately describing their product because "if consumers don't do the research that's on them."

So I'm not really surprised.

I'm crying right now. this is about a buck fifty hot dog

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Wait, people are upset over this?

Uhhhhhh Costco decided that the Costco food court is now for Costco members only.

What in the world could you possibly be upset about. Costco isn't a goddamn charity. If they don't want to subsidize food costs for the community anymore, they're not obligated to.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, potato, pohtato. If you want to eat at the food court, get a membership. Or don't, and do not eat at the food court. It's quite simple. It's far from the cheapest way to eat a hot dog. Costco is a business, not a public service.
And that's the problem right there. People think that food shouldn't be a right, that food is a privilege because living itself shouldn't be a right.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
They just turned me away without a card. The door guy said the stores do it differently and their manager is strict about it. The change might already be done.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
And that's the problem right there. People think that food shouldn't be a right, that food is a privilege because living itself shouldn't be a right.
Why is it Costco's obligation to lose money on food? If they are obligated, why aren't you arguing that the food should be free?

OP
OP
Walter White Walker
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have a right to food at a business. If you want to keep getting the food court hot dog, than pony up for a membership.
Next you'll be arguing they should give food away because people have a right to it.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apologies! $2.79, not $2.50. It's been a few years since I lived back home and could grab one of these every Saturday morning after the Costco shopping trip.

XfcsPTqsz7MScFtPkSM5wjYVFp_tRXxZqSA8Crb01mQ.jpg

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is it Costco's obligation to lose money on food? If they are obligated, why aren't you arguing that the food should be free?
Food should be free.
You don't have a right to food at a business. If you want to keep getting the food court hot dog, than pony up for a membership.
Next you'll be arguing they should give food away because people have a right to it.
People don't have a right, and that's the problem. Food should be a right.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017

Ensuring that nobody is deprived of necessary food is the job of the state, not a private business like Costco.

The folks agreeing with Costco in this particular instance are NOT advocating the position you're describing. Like, at all.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Anecdotal but I've never seen anyone order the cheeseburger they introduced in the last few years. They should eliminate that and introduce this sandwich.

At least at mine they got rid of it. It seemed pretty pricey for a Costco burger, but that may be because it's a direct comparison to the hot dog prices. I did like the chili but that was pricey as well.

They also do something weird with the fountain drinks, I'm not sure if it's cost savings or what but the fountain drinks always taste off/terrible. I'm actually surprised Pepsi (I think it's Pepsi) lets them get away with it.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Free food from businesses is not a right and never will be. Why should Costco pay for food, pay to have people prepare, plus all the overhead and give it to you for free?
You are way too entitled.
Oh, ok. So you're complaining about all restaurants and food places that charge for food then?
I'm complaining about capitalism, yes. These businesses should be forcefully seized and the resources distributed to help the population.