• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wrap my head around going to costco just for the food court. Every store I've ever been to has been an overcrowded mess. Finding parking alone is an act of frustration. Would rather pay extra not to have to deal with that shit show.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Seems bad for poor working families trying to feed a lot of people for cheap.

Kinda shitty people are cheering this lmao.
It's a membership club and a business. Not a soup kitchen. What's shitty is paying for a membership, and non members are in there using the services.

Also hot dogs are much cheaper to make at home.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
You are a CEO's dream come true. A likely middle class person waving the Costco banner and making the battle out to be workers benefits vs poor people trying to score cheap food.
This narrative of this being anti-poor is ridiculous. People are acting like this is elitist but it's business. I'm a person that works in sales which is why this is literally what businesses do. If I have a customer that is causing more problems then bringing in revenue you let them churn. That's just how it works.

Nov 21, 2017
You can't get the gas without a membership as you have to swipe your card.
You can use their pharmacy and get booze without a membership. I'm not sure if that's at the state level or across the U.S.

Where do you live where you can get the gas without a membership?

Used to, but no longer, live in Jersey. The state ordered Costco to allow anyone to use their gas stations in the early 2000's because it violated some state laws to have a 'gas club' or something like that.

I've gotten gas there as recently as two years back when I was visiting. Idk if things have changed since then. No Costco's by me currently :(

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
People goes to Costco only to eat? Aren't they all like besides highways, and rarely easy to get to in public transport? Maybe it's just here in Canada...

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
Won't this negatively affect poor people more than anything else? I'm not sure this is a moment of celebration.
this is why i'm against this. i feel bad for poor people and the kids who come over and eat cheap pizza and hot dogs. this is also gonna be a pain in the ass since you always have to show your membership. many people divide their time and for instance send somebody to buy food at the food court while they shop at the store. you can't just drive your kids to costco and have them get off and buy food you always have to go and show your card.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck are people posting pictures of hotdogs in a pack? You know you can buy the same Costco hotdogs for less than a 1.50 in the store. That is not the point. Can you all post restaurants selling 1.50 hotdog and a drink for 1.50?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This narrative of this being anti-poor is ridiculous. People are acting like this is elitist but it's business. I'm a person that works in sales which is why this is literally what businesses do. If I have a customer that is causing more problems then bringing in revenue you let them churn. That's just how it works.
Yeah, and that's why we're in the shit hole that we're in in the first place. Profits take precedence over human lives.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and that's why we're in the shit hole that we're in in the first place. Profits take precedence over human lives.
Only as I've mentioned, this is a company that is extremely generous and pays their people well and gives them benefits. So clearly they care about people.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So, what has changed from the last few decades? Did a bunch of people all of a sudden discover this?

My guess is that food prices are constantly going up but they haven't changed the price of the food in the food court in who knows how long. It's been these prices for as long as I can remember. It probably came to a point where the rising costs made it no longer sustainable while trying to maintain the price.

Or rather, they think that enough is never enough and want to constantly grow indefinitely in a word that only has a finite amount of resources.

Why do you feel so entitled to a membership benefit when you're not paying for the membership? Plus Costco isn't a company you should be shitting on for trying to maintain their business when they're one of the few companies out there who really treat their employees well and will make sure to do that at the expense of their bottom line.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I don't think they're going far enough, personally. Costco should give you the opton to inject a unique Costco protein into your bloodstream to be verified via needle at every cashier. These are hot dogs that cost $1.50 people.

Hot dogs. that. cost. $1.50.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only as I've mentioned, this is a company that is extremely generous and pays their people well and gives them benefits. So clearly they care about people.
www.celebritynetworth.com

Jim Sinegal Net Worth

What is Jim Sinegal's net worth?
He has a net worth of $2 billion and obviously that money has to be going to him somehow (ie by underpaying workers compared to the value of their labour).

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
go to walmart or the dollar store

look at this shit i just seen

QGP1gbY.png

this terrifies me deeply, but for 63 cents id try it

39ab56a19c1d9a349add831698399699df1f382c_hq.gif

Bucknuticus

UCF Super fan! Go Knights!
Oct 25, 2017
This woulndt have happened if Bernie won. His promise of hot dogs 4 all would have united us.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I love how the slightest suggestion that maybe a corporation should consider its larger impact on society and not solely maximize shareholder value leads to responses like

You mean a business wants to grow? Totally unacceptable! They should hemorrhage unnecessary money for as long as I say so!

which, again, could be used to excuse literally any action a corporation does.

I'm not saying Costco is as bad as Nestlé or a for-profit insurance company here but geez people, at least try to examine the conclusions of your logic, and maybe be self-reflective as to why you feel the need to so vigorously defend a change like this.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I like how you think every thing is so simple and convenient for poor people.

I'll bite, how complicated is it to go to the grocery store, buy a package of hot dogs, go home and either boil them in a pot, pop them in a microwave or grill them on the stove? Like seriously? It's one of the easiest things you can make.

OP
OP
Walter White Walker
Oct 27, 2017
People goes to Costco only to eat? Aren't they all like besides highways, and rarely easy to get to in public transport? Maybe it's just here in Canada...

Yeah, me and my kids have stopped by a Costco just to visit the food court. It's pretty awesome and you should try it. But only if you're a member in a few weeks, that is. Usually, though, it's on the way out after getting stuff there.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
www.celebritynetworth.com

Jim Sinegal Net Worth

What is Jim Sinegal's net worth?
He has a net worth of $2 billion and obviously that money has to be going to him somehow (ie by underpaying workers compared to the value of their labour).
Costco actually pays living wages and provides benefits for its employees. You're just being 100% disingenuous now so I'm going to go ahead and hit ignore.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Are we really celebrating a policy that will make affordable, hot food less accessible to poor people?

When I moved from home for the first time and had a hard time feeding myself Costco came through. Spending 1.50 on a meal after working an exhausting 10 hour work day was a fucking life saver. Then there are the homeless that were able to get substantial servings of food from these food courts too.

I get why they're doing this but it fucking sucks.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to be clear! Do you need help finding affordable food/free food shelters in your area??
Not yet, but I only have a minimum wage job so if I can't live with my parents I'll be fucked.
Can you stop with the pretend fake outrage? Costco is not a company who treats their employees like shit to save a dollar.
Exploitation is necessary for capitalism, I'm not sure what you mean by fake outrage because I think it's a valid point to ask why someone needs 2 billion dollars.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I'll bite, how complicated is it to go to the grocery store, buy a package of hot dogs, go home and either boil them in a pot, pop them in a microwave or grill them on the stove? Like seriously? It's one of the easiest things you can make.
Assuming everybody has a home, gas to boil water or light a stove, or owns a microwave.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I'm not an expert on Jim or how he built his wealth but I've known people who worked for the company and they are apparently one of the better paying and generous retailers and the annual membership card is one of the ways they accomplish that. They also promote advancement within the company and have tried to stave off unionization by essentially offering benefits usually demanded for by collective bargaining.