• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Costcos in California have the food court window on the outside. No membership needed. However, when I travel to Florida all of them (that I've seen) are on the inside which requires membership. Weird.

They've slowly been moving them inside in SoCal.
I first saw it at the one in the next town over.
Then it happened at my local Costco.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
How is it a free trial if you have to pay? I have used free trials for services and then never paid in the end, that is generally what a free trial is.
I simply used a free trial as an example to help you rationalize losing this benefit if by Mid March you don't decide to become a member. If you want to argue semantics you'll have to do it outside Costco.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying this is as bad as destroying the rainforest or whatever, but this sort of attitude ("they have a right to protect their profits!" "it's about dollars and cents!") can be used to explain away pretty much any potentially negative thing a corporation does, so maybe try to develop a more nuanced view of capitalism?
Costco is a company that pays it workers extremely well, gives them benefits and treats them well. This is one of the reasons I love going there because I know it's providing a livable wage for workers. It make no logical sense for any business to have customers that are costing them money, that's not how capitalism works.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
When my roommate and I were struggling, we'd go to Costco and eat like kings for less than $5. Also came in clutch when hosting a party.

Real shame it's going away.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought you needed a membership to access the food court. I always had to show mine before entering the store. This is a lame change though.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I simply used a free trial as an example to help you rationalize losing this benefit if by Mid March you don't decide to become a member. If you want to argue semantics you'll have to do it outside Costco.
Nah, I'll just starve myself and not eat instead. I guess I can't eat cheap there before work so I'll just have to not eat at all.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
End of an era.

Maybe they could have raised prices for non-members? I dunno.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So, wouldn't they still just lose money anyways if people got the membership just for the food court?

I don't know who would get a membership just for the food court, but if they did, Costco would be losing less money since that person paid for the membership. In reality though, if you have a membership, you're probably buying other things there.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Perpetuating harmful stereotypes
The asian grandmas that scooped the entire trays of onions/peppers/sauerkraut into their tupperware will cry salty tears of rage that they can't get $1.5 hawt doggies without membership anymore.

Let's pour one out for them.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know who would get a membership just for the food court, but if they did, Costco would be losing less money since that person paid for the membership. In reality though, if you have a membership, you're probably buying other things there.
Especially since the $1.50 hot dogs they sell are literally just the hot dogs from the cooler section that they drop in a steamer. You can buy a giant pack of them for $10 and make them at home for far less than the $1.50 price per dog, and not have to deal with the insane traffic around a costco!

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
This is a store level decision, not a nationwide policy change. One store put up a sign and multiple sites jumped on it. Just check with your store.

And anyone suggesting to buy a gift card instead of a mbership, just buy the damn membership. You are literally fucking over the hourly employees by doing that.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That sucks. I always stop by the local Costco when I have to visit a certain satellite office. They still have the best togo hotdogs around here.

Maybe I'll finally get a membership.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Which you'd need a membership to do.
go to walmart or the dollar store

look at this shit i just seen

QGP1gbY.png

this terrifies me deeply, but for 63 cents id try it

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Costco is a company that pays it workers extremely well, gives them benefits and treats them well. This is one of the reasons I love going there because I know it's providing a livable wage for workers. It make no logical sense for any business to have customers that are costing them money, that's not how capitalism works.
You are a CEO's dream come true. A likely middle class person waving the Costco banner and making the battle out to be workers benefits vs poor people trying to score cheap food.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Some have said this will be in Canada as well, but I don't think the downtown Vancouver store will be affected. That one is probably one of the busiest costco food courts in the world given that you don't have to enter the store to use and it services all the people attending downtown events like hockey games and concerts.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Costco has a monopoly on hotdogs now???
The capitalists have gone too far!
I don't know anywhere that you can get them for less than $1.50, that's for sure.
You mean a business wants to grow? Totally unacceptable! They should hemorrhage unnecessary money for as long as I say so!
Yes, it is unacceptable, unless you're fine with ecological disaster and the extinction of our species because overexposure of resources for constant growth of businesses
Have you ever been to a grocery store
None with $1.50 hot dogs.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't know anywhere that you can get them for less than $1.50, that's for sure.

Yes, it is unacceptable, unless you're fine with ecological disaster and the extinction of our species because overexposure of resources for constant growth of businesses

Someone literally posted above some hot dogs. 8 pack for 63 cents

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And anyone suggesting to buy a gift card instead of a mbership, just buy the damn membership. You are literally fucking over the hourly employees by doing that.
How does this fuck over the employees? Arguably the greater sales volume they achieve by serving to non-members results in more labor hours, ultimately benefiting employees.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017

Every single grocery store I've ever been in has sold MULTIPLE different brands of hot dogs for far less than $1.50. Come Summertime you can probably get hot dogs for under $0.25.

You just have to buy 8 hot dogs/buns at a time and microwave them at home.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

Bruh, hotdogs cost almost nothing. Much less than $1.50/per.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems bad for poor working families trying to feed a lot of people for cheap.

Kinda shitty people are cheering this lmao.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every single grocery store I've ever been in has sold MULTIPLE different brands of hot dogs for far less than $1.50. Come Summertime you can probably get hot dogs for under $0.25.

You just have to buy 8 hot dogs/buns at a time and microwave them at home.
Bruh, hotdogs cost almost nothing. Much less than $1.50/per.
Are you talking about the US or Canada? I don't live in the US.