• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I cut out bread other then maybe pancakes on Saturday as a weekend treat and my pants size dropped over 10cm. Eliminating carbs from my life, that are not from vegetables and fruits have made me feel much better.

does anybody know if swimming also helps or should i jog or something

Swimming is probably one of the best workouts you can do. plus easy on your joints.

Jun 1, 2018
-Drink only water.
-Don't buy junk food at the grocery store. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it.
-RTFL- Read the Fucking Label.
-Limit added sugar as much as possible.
-
-Try a video game for exercise. I've had some good luck with Fitness Boxing for Switch. Can't do Ring Fit Adventure due to a meniscus tear in my knee as the game requires squats and running.
I bought fitness boxing but i kinda find it...boring? and too slow?

Jun 1, 2018
I cut out bread other then maybe pancakes on Saturday as a weekend treat and my pants size dropped over 10cm. Eliminating carbs from my life, that are not from vegetables and fruits have made me feel much better.

Swimming is probably one of the best workouts you can do. plus easy on your joints.
I had an accident last year where my knee cap really messed up and i was in the hospital so they said i need to do more sport which im trying to do know. how long should i usually swim? is there an app or something?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Read The One-Minute Workout and do the exercises. They really do just take 1 minute (2 if you're doing both sides of the asymmetrical ones), and they can be intense.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
- Drink water (almost) exclusively
- Eat a lot (8-10 slices) of whole grain bread (5.5+% fibers) during the day to feel full and to easily skip all snacks.

Even ten slices (my intake) is only 820 calories, maybe at most 1200 if you include spreads or whatever you put on top and a piece of fruit or two. Combined with drinking only water, I can easily get through the day (7am - 6pm) with less than half of the recommended intake (2500 calories for a male adult), while feeling full all day.

Then I just eat whatever I want as evening meal and some snacks.

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I had an accident last year where my knee cap really messed up and i was in the hospital so they said i need to do more sport which im trying to do know. how long should i usually swim? is there an app or something?

Hmm not much help on how long you should swim for. I usually do 45 mins, but that is my cardio workout and Im a terrible swimmer. My wife goes for 2+ hours. However, she used to be a swimming instructor. So best thing I can say is build up to what time you want. With an injured knee its probably one of the best things you can do.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Why/how is fasting supposed to be so great, anyway? I could never do it, I'm always snacking on shit at midnight because I have trouble falling asleep if I get hungry.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
I had a model with a great figure as the background on my phone to constantly remind me of how great it would be to have a body like her. After 1.5 years, I matched that look and I haven't stopped since. It's improved my life in every way possible.

Hawkijustin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
Why/how is fasting supposed to be so great, anyway? I could never do it, I'm always snacking on shit at midnight because I have trouble falling asleep if I get hungry.
It restricts the time a day you have to intake calories. It's just another form of CICO. If you stuff your face with 5000cal in the few hours a day you have to eat you will still gain weight.

fasting is nothing more than a tool to help some people eat Fewer calories. It works for some, some people have success doing other forms of caloric restriction.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There us no evidence that large amounts of water have any positive effects. Current guidelines on water consumption are arbitrary.

It helps keep my stomach full when I would otherwise be snacking, and discourages overeating at meal time.

There doesn't have to be some established scientific consensus for a habit to be helpful.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
what other equipment-free exercising can i do at home besides planks and stretching and burpees 🤔

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Meal prep and intermittent fasting has helped me a lot. Knowing ahead of time when I'll eat and exactly what/how much I'll eat really makes it easy to not mindlessly snack on random shit or overeat when I do have a meal.

Using a Fitbit or other meal tracker like MyFitnessPal helped a lot too. I don't really track my meals anymore, mostly because I eat the same stuff so I know a ballpark idea of what I'm consuming, but also mostly because after a few months of doing it religiously I have a much more firm grasp of calories per serving for most meals and serving sizes. Before that I had no real understanding of just how many calories I was consuming, but not I have a pretty solid idea and that innate understanding helps to curb my eating habits.

Same for only drinking water and cutting out all other beverages outside of rare occasions. I can drink as much water as I like and it only took a short while to get used to not having anything more flavorful.

Working out at work has also been great. A simple 10 pound dumbell, power twister and resistance bands allows for a very quick, but meaningful, workout at my desk. Do that 2-3 times a day, four days a week, for around 20 minutes total really adds up. Same for going on a ~1 hour walk every evening while listening to a podcast or audiobook. That shit really adds up and also helps falling asleep easier and faster.

Angst Are you happy with the Deskcycle, I was actually looking to get something like that, but wasn't sure how feasible it would be to use or really useful.

Last edited:

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Another thing I've done is started sleeping better. I have an app called "Sleep as Android" and its pretty much my favorite mobile app of all time. It warns me when I need to go to sleep, and wakes me up at the perfect time in my sleep cycle so that I wake up not as groggy. I've never slept as good as I have since getting this app.
The problem with this for me with other apps is that I can't listen to my podcast when going to bed as these apps need to be the focus and automatically mute anything else.

Dec 22, 2017
Stick to your workout schedule no matter what. Even if it means just doing a quick, two minute workout.

I workout five days a week and have three versions of each day's routine. Normal, heavy, and quick. Even if I work late, go out drinking, have a cold, I will at least do the quick version.

Last edited:

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Other than coffee in the morning, I only drink water. I don't mind as long as there's ice

A calorie-counting app is good, too.

I got an apple watch & really do seem to exercise and move more. I could have done this without the watch, but tracking really helps me

The ring fit for Switch is fun

Oct 27, 2017
Having a rather strict Monday through Friday routine that I stuck to helped a lot. It's hard to establish the routine but, man, once it's established it just makes food intake so much easier to manage. It gets to where I could eat crap Saturday and Sunday and it wouldn't matter as long as I'm sticking to the M-F work routine. But once I got going I found myself not wanting to eat so much crap even if I could.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Stick to your workout schedule no matter what. Even if it means just doing a quick, two minute workout.

I have three versions of each day. Normal, heavy, and quick. Even if I work late, go out drinking, have a cold, I will at least do the quick version.
This is really important and a reason I'm really happy with my at 20 minute at my desk at work workouts. They're really easy to do and relatively quick so I can fit them into my schedule, so there's never an excuse to not workout. When I had big workout sessions after work at home it was too often that something would come up and I'd scrap the whole thing. But setting smaller more easily achievable goals with the ability to do more makes it way easier to be consistent.

Dec 23, 2017
There is no evidence of any positive effect from intermittend fasting.
I disagree. There are so many different articles and information out in it. More than anything is actual difference from people I know and have spoken with and myself. I was over weight for 8 years and found intermittent fasting and it change my life. Lost 50 pounds and changed my life. In reality it's just a eating schedule. People hear the word fasting and freak out. I guess to each their own. All I have seen from myself and other people that have made it a part of their life have had "real world results"

Oct 25, 2017
  • Intermittent Fasting - Helps prevent late night snacking
  • Calorie counting - A good rough estimate of how much you're consuming.
  • Cut the soda - Such a huge source of empty calories and sugar.
  • Containers for portioning snacks - don't take the whole box/bag with you
  • No chain restaurants - They somehow put more calories in dishes than you would think is possible.
  • Vegetarian/Vegan options - don't have to be strict, but introducing some meatless options in your diet can give you similar nutrition with less calories.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Treadmill/elliptical plus Netflix /hbo/whatever streaming site.

Do it everyday for 30-40 Minutes before work.

Start easy, don't push yourself, just stay consistent and don't miss a day. Slowly ramp up the intensity without over exerting yourself.

Its amazing, I get through long backlogs of shows, I feel great throughout the day, I'm losing weight, and I don't feel like I'm in some crazy workout cycle that people go in and out of. Just steady and consistent exercise.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I started this recently,

I don't like doing actual excersises, so whenever im watching TV or laying in bed watching laptop, I grab a 30lbs weight and just hold it and fiddle with it sometimes for 1-2 hours per day, its tiring sometimes but since you're watching something interesting its much better, I've been getting decent results actually, I can do a bunch more pushups than I could before and am getting definition/thickness around my arms

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Eat slower
- Drink a ton of water
- Eat one portion and just wait for it to get down to your stomach. I would overeat like crazy because I didn't feel immediately full.
- Limit your carb intake (bread + sugar)
- Protein keeps you full longer, helps keep muscles from eating itself after a workout

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. There are so many different articles and information out in it. More than anything is actual difference from people I know and have spoken with and myself. I was over weight for 8 years and found intermittent fasting and it change my life. Lost 50 pounds and changed my life. In reality it's just a eating schedule. People hear the word fasting and freak out. I guess to each their own. All I have seen from myself and other people that have made it a part of their life have had "real world results"

That's a great way to describe it. I lost 60 pounds doing intermittent fasting and I didn't even know I was doing a fad diet. I just thought of it as a strict eating schedule.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
-If you can't walk to your destination, park your car at the end of the parking lot.
-If you absolutely need to drink fruit juice, cut it half and half with water. It retains most of the flavour, but with 50% less calories.
-Reduce portion by 10-15%. Not enough to notice it in a particular meal, but makes a big difference in a week.
-Tape shut your open bags of potato ships, candies, cookies, etc. The little bit of extra effort to get them open probably means that you won't grab a few chips when you pass through the kitchen.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
A couple diets I tried over the years left me with lasting mindset changes that help guide me toward healthy eating today.

I tried paleo in 2014-2015 and while I long ago stopped adhering to most of its tenets, it permanently made me wary of overprocessed and "factory" food products. As a result, I almost never eat them. I cook 95% of meals myself with simple ingredients. (I'm also wary of low-quality meat, but my frugality usually wins there.)

After that I was into keto (low carb) for about two years. Good results, though not something I want to or need to follow today. Keto left me with an aversion to sugar and sweeteners, especially added sugar. As far as I can tell added sugar only has negative effects on my body, and any sweetness I might enjoy is so fleeting, it's not worth it. So keto left me with an enduring low-sugar mindset that's really helpful. (One awesome effect: Though I'm long overdue for the dentist I never get new cavities or toothaches anymore.)

Perhaps most relevant to your topic, last month I started IF (intermittent fasting) in hopes of shedding some persistent visceral (torso) fat. It's been another really nice experience because I've found that having such incredibly simple rules to follow - the only rule is that every day I do all eating within a 4- or 5-hour window - makes it almost effortless to follow the diet.

It's like a binary yes or no; am I within my eating window? If no, I can't eat. It's almost like the decision is made for me, so I don't need to expend much willpower "enforcing" the decision not to eat at a given time. (Another helpful factor is that after about 12 hours of not eating you tend to enter into a keto-like state where you don't feel very hungry.)

(In case you'd like to learn more about IF, reddit has a great resource for explaining the whats, whys, and hows.)

Summed up, what I'm saying is that trying different diets over time can have positive effects on how you eat even after you mostly stop following them. It's like your healthy-eating sense levels up and you get to keep a permanent perk. That's a very helpful "trick" imo.
This is a great post . Not selling anything not evangelical just here's some various tools I've used over the years and personal takeaways . Solid advice for anyone.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Don´t drink calories.
Get a kitchen scale and count calories.
Find what vegetables you really like.
Find a sport/exercise you really enjoy.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
- Drink water (almost) exclusively
- Eat a lot (8-10 slices) of whole grain bread (5.5+% fibers) during the day to feel full and to easily skip all snacks.

Even ten slices (my intake) is only 820 calories, maybe at most 1200 if you include spreads or whatever you put on top and a piece of fruit or two. Combined with drinking only water, I can easily get through the day (7am - 6pm) with less than half of the recommended intake (2500 calories for a male adult), while feeling full all day.

Then I just eat whatever I want as evening meal and some snacks.

You eat half a loaf of bread a day? I feel like there are better and more fibrous ways to feel full than a half of loaf of bread.

Mar 30, 2019
I have an old fashioned journal. No really, that is the single most important thing I changed for myself.

I write my tasks, progress, and goals all the time. It keeps me away from my phone, naturally pushes me to think about my day, and is an ever growing repository for things that interest me. Story ideas, recipes, breakdowns of my goals, upcoming events, and my workout schedule.

I use it for everything and I'm healthier for it. I'm going to use it right now in fact for any good ideas that pop up here.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There is a difference whether a certain diet helps you being compliant with your calory goal and whether a diet actually has nutritional benefits. If intermittend fasting helps you sticking to your diet then that is fine but there is no inherent benefit of not eating for an arbitrary period of time.

Oct 28, 2017
Dont bring junk food into the house. Drink water. You'll eventually learn to love it. Nobody likes drinking calories. Avoid sugars.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Body weight squats, push ups. Buy a set of resistance bands and add them to your workout. Find some YouTube videos to show you how to use them/ workouts for them.
Push-ups, squats, pistol squats, lying hyperextensions, tricep dips on a chair. Easy to buy and fit removable chin/pull-up bar in a door and integrate one of the best exercises you can do.
This, a Chin up bar alone will work out pretty much everything
Noted. Will look into a bar and/or bands.