• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Anyone else read that the Proton compliant version of EAC is going to require devs update their game to use Epic Online Services? So if they want their online games to run on Deck, they will have to use EOS.

Edit: I hope this isn't completely the case and that there is some other work around. I think ripping out your old EAC set up to put in a new one that might require your entire playerbase to log into Epic will probably be enough to stop most devs from even bothering.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/552500/discussions/0/2960544187643622408/?tscn=1641659578

This could be a huge barrier in getting developers to get their games working for the Steam Deck (while running SteamOS of course). This could be why we haven't seen as many games with EAC get support for Linux/Proton yet. I'm not getting a Deck right away and I might switch to Windows when I do, however this is fucked by Epic for users. You can check out: https://areweanticheatyet.com/ to see a crowd sourced list of games with anti-cheat and if they're supported on Linux. There are a lot of Easy Anti-Cheat games...

A post from a Tripwire community manager hinted at this in September 2021:
The version of EAC used on RS 2 is not the version that is advertised in this, and it is not something that will work for RS 2 players.
As far as we are aware, it is not something that will be possible.

Linux support for Easy AntiCheat

Hello everyone, As you may know, Steam now allows Linux player to play Windows only games thanks to SteamPlay / Proton. So many games now works like a charm (Tripwire's Killing Floor 2 for example). I'm a big fan of Rising Storm 2, and a Linux only user since a few month for some reasons. So I...

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So we have looked in to this. It's far more complex than first suspected -- EAC has two versions. Non-EOS and EOS (Epic Online Services). Most games historically use Non-EOS EAC. It's the one Vermintide 2 uses as well. Epic only added Proton support for the EOS version of EAC. Therefor in order to implement proton support for Vermintide 2, a huge amount of reworking of the EAC implementation would be required, which may also require all players to authenticate with Epic Online Services as well -- perhaps even logging in to the Epic environment (to be confirmed, however).

So the "just a few clicks" statement made in the original announcement wasn't entirely accurate, and would only apply to titles using the EOS version of EAC, which simply hasn't been many games aside from either pretty new ones, and likely predominantly Epic exclusive titles.

We are still looking at what is or isn't going to be possible, but it's not as easy as it was made out to be -- far from it in fact.

There may be other solutions or workarounds, but ripping out the old EAC and rewriting everything to implement "NuEAC" and potentially asking our entire playerbase to connect through and sign through EOS for an honestly tiny market share that was (and would remain) unsupported from the get go might be a deal breaker.

Time will tell.

steamcommunity.com

Enable new Proton (Steam Deck/Linux) support for EAC :: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Helmgart Keep - General Discussions

Hello! Now that Epic Games officially supports SteamOS/Linux/Wine/Proton in Easy Anti-Cheat, on behalf of all Linux players I'd like to ask the devs for enabling it so we can play :) According to the post on Epic's dev blog, "developers can activate anti-cheat support for Linux via Wine or...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
This is a report from one developer, and they even say they're not done investigating, perhaps a Rumor tag is in order.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a classic Timmo McSween move

Hope this isn't how they are going to play it, but it does sound very Epic.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days, permanent thread ban): Trolling, previously warned for similar behavior
Why would it be a barrier for Steam Deck/SteamOS? I swear some of you are so dramatic.

It literally makes NO difference. None. Zero. No difference at all.

Se_t

Apr 14, 2020
I don't understand how it affects the Deck ? Most people don't get the Deck for online and there is always the possibility of having windows so it's not really a problem...

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why would it be a barrier for Steam Deck/SteamOS? I swear some of you are so dramatic.

The developer says that to implement the new EAC that works with Proton could require authorising through Epics Online Services, something a lot of developers using the current EAC will not do.

For example, I can't believe that EA would allow for a secondary login through Epics Online Services for Apex Legends. They'll just use the old EAC, screw the Proton support.

Edit: It also is a barrier for Proton/Linux support in general, something that is sorely needed with Windows/Microsoft currently monopolising the PC Gaming operating system space. Anything that hinders the progress of Proton hinders any form of competition in the operating system space too.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Is there a eli5 on this? Is the issue that devs will need to update games? Because EOS in and of itself doesn't seem like a huge issue. I know it's always online but presumably you'd be using that anyway for a multiplayer anticheat game.

The developer says that to implement the new EAC that works with Proton could require authorising through Epics Online Services, something a lot of developers using the current EAC will not do.

For example, I can't believe that EA would allow for a secondary login through Epics Online Services for Apex Legends. They'll just use the old EAC, screw the Proton support.

Edit: It also is a barrier for Proton/Linux support in general, something that is sorely needed with Windows/Microsoft currently monopolising the PC Gaming operating system space. Anything that hinders the progress of Proton hinders any form of competition in the operating system space too.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense. That said I do wonder how many deck owners will want to play multiplayer games on the deck though. Still a bit of a shitty inconvenience but idk if I'd call it a huge barrier to getting more games. Would rather it not be the case though of course.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
If true then that really is a dick move by Sweeney after he praised Valve for creating an open device. Hopefully developers and Valve can put some pressure on Epic and get it to enable Proton support for the non-EOS version too.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Sweeney is such a rat. So much for the "all platforms should be open and free from a single company's ruling fist" shtick.

Fuck off with this.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I reported you for trolling but in case you are serious.

It basically requires devs to "update" EAC since msot titles don't use EOS.
I highly doubt most developers will put work on their old games to make these feasable so that current owners could play on the deck.

Epic could have just adapted the "basic/old" EAC into linux so that all users could benefit.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
its almost like that was a lie and he never meant a word of it
Tim Sweeney? Lying?!
shocked.gif

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hope some clarity is given on this soon. It's an absolute dick move from Epic to maintain two branches, and only allow the branch that supports Proton require logging into Epic Online Services.

I hate Timmo McSweendle and Epic Games so much for how they've handled everything on the PC front. It's all so petty and hindering for no reason.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Holy shit fuck Epic

Add another damn reason to the list to never support these fuckers or their POS store

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
But .. Why? Just to make people angry at you? I seriously don't see why Epic would do that

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I reported you for trolling but in case you are serious.

It basically requires devs to "update" EAC since msot titles don't use EOS.
I highly doubt most developers will put work on their old games to make these feasable so that current owners could play on the deck.

Epic could have just adapted the "basic/old" EAC into linux so that all users could benefit.

Trolling? Give me a break. I'm completely serious. You'll see, it won't be an issue. Hopefully people are gonna come back into this thread and apologize tho

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just another launcher, though.

Creating roadblocks in the PC landscape is Epic's bread & butter.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trolling? Give me a break. I'm completely serious. You'll see, it won't be an issue. Hopefully people are gonna come back into this thread and apologize tho
How is it not an issue? Epic are forcing developers to upgrade their online backend anti-cheat system to the EOS-enabled one just so that they can have their games supported on Proton. Epic made a clear choice in pushing a OS parity feature into a completely separate branch, and then has told developers upgrading will be "a simple few clicks." Nothing is ever simple when it comes to backend overhaul, and many things can break upon changing even the slightest elements. What developer will bother doing that to their games that are more than three years old?

Your blatant disregard for clearly complex changes that inhibit an open platform being more open is straight up "oh well get over it, it's just a launcher" vibes. Yes it might just be one developer at this moment, but it doesn't change the literal developer handbook that states only EOS branch has Proton support. It's quite black and white how clear the branch is required to support an open system, forcing Epic's online service onto developers who may not have wanted that at all. Hell I wouldn't want to go and upgrade my game to support EOS callbacks and handling purely for Proton. That sounds like waaaay too much work.

Epic have quite literally found a way to force usage of their system by holding an open source OS hostage. That's some monopolistic evil corporation bullshit if I've ever seen it.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So you are 100% sure every game that has EAC is getting updated?
Even games like battlefleet Gothic armada where the devs haven t released a new game since 2018?

Or that EA will put more work into squadrons?

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
isn't this the company that argues that getting free distribution and never having to pay anything on their IAP-ridden apps on proprietary app stores is basically a human rights issue

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense they'd use the opportunity to push the EOS version of EAC. Of course, I'm not immediately sure exactly why this is so important for Epic.
Do they get money if people use EOS? Do games using that have to be offered on EGS as well?

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Makes sense they'd use the opportunity to push the EOS version of EAC. Of course, I'm not immediately sure exactly why this is so important for Epic.
Do they get money if people use EOS? Do games using that have to be offered on EGS as well?

Or it could be about control. Or tbat Tim Sweeny is an asshole that lies to get tje public on his side like the apple lawsuits.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
Analytics, data to sell and to use for their own purposes and to further tie people into "epic account" -ecosystem.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's not a requirement. But games on EGS are asked to use EOS or some other service to coordinate multiplatform play on PC (e.g. Steam x EGS).

Presumably they collect some sort of anonymized usage data. I suppose tying EOS to other software can also have indirect benefits by creating a working relationship with a wide range of developers, acclimatizing them to Epic's services, which likely have better interoperability once you're already using one of Epic's service than other third-party offerings for the same solutions. So it can act as an onboarding mechanism, in other words.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Analytics, data to sell and to use for their own purposes and to further tie people into "epic account" -ecosystem.
It's not a requirement. But games on EGS are asked to use EOS or some other service to coordinate multiplatform play on PC (e.g. Steam x EGS).

Presumably they collect some sort of anonymized usage data. I suppose tying EOS to other software can also have indirect benefits by creating a working relationship with a wide range of developers, acclimatizing them to Epic's services, which likely have better interoperability once you're using one of them than other third-party solutions. So it acts as an onboarding mechanism, in other words.
Didn't think about the data analytics side of it, as well as easing people into their services.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I'm not immediately sure exactly why this is so important for Epic.

They want to insert themselves as middlemen, its pretty amazing if this case has them imposing it just so an anticheat solution can function on Linux. There's no functional aspect of EAC on a fundamental level that necessitates that EOS be used, rather its an arbitrary requirement that just bundles their network solutions.

You remove one closed source requirement (Windows) to replace it with another proprietary solution (Epic Online Services) - very forward thinking by industry leaders like Tim Sweeney.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
They want to insert themselves as middlemen, its pretty amazing if this case has them imposing it just so an anticheat solution can function on Linux. There's no functional aspect of EAC on a fundamental level that necessitates that EOS be used, rather its an arbitrary requirement that just bundles their network solutions.

You remove one closed source requirement (Windows) to replace it with another proprietary solution (Epic Online Services) - very forward thinking by industry leaders like Tim Sweeney.
Yep. Epic want to be THE middleman. So in their quest to be that, they are doing just that. My only issue that their vouching for open platforms and open stuff comes out just as hypocritical when there is no choice given to the devs for things like this.