• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

munchie64

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck to Ben and his wife in a new chapter of their lives.

Oof tho. I love all the Allies but it's hard to deny my 3 faves are gone now.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI, sounds like some people got the impression that Frame Trap is already cut, but we haven't had time to figure out what we're doing about the show yet. There are few different options we're discussing, so stay tuned.
So I wasn't hearing things when others in the Ben thread said that it was over.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Sad that Ben is leaving, he did amazing stuff in his tenure. Will be looking out for whatever he does next!

Perhaps EZA should leave the studio and become a remote thing, accepting people from anywhere in the world. Maybe more like MinnMax. This thing of having to leave the company to relocate sucks in this day and age.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
If Brad wants to i really hope he takes over Frame Trap. I really enjoy his perspective on things. Maybe a cohosted Frametrap with him and Huber.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Sad that Ben is leaving, he did amazing stuff in his tenure. Will be looking out for whatever he does next!

Perhaps EZA should leave the studio and become a remote thing, accepting people from anywhere in the world. Maybe more like MinnMax. This thing of having to leave the company to relocate sucks in this day and age.
You're making it sound like we told Ben he wasn't allowed to work remotely. This was his decision, and he told us what he was going to do. We've done nothing but offer our support.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Well, checking EZA Twitter to see if there was anything posted about Ben spoiled me on the HoG winners. So no real reason to stay out of this thread before I watch it I guess.

Really sad to see Ben go, I think he might the the Ally that is closest to my eclectic taste in gaming since he loves JRPG's (Brad does as well), but at least sometimes enjoy Visual Novels as well. I just finished Danganronpa on my Vita a week or 2 ago after I stopped playing it in 2014 (I don't know why I never finished it back then) and Danganronpa always reminds me of Ben's great explanations on why he really enjoyed those games.

I also really like the way he can explain his thoughts, which translates into his (p)reviews or his explanation on the podcasts.

So I will miss him a lot, but I also wish him all the best with what's next for him and his wife.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Man, really sad about Ben leaving. No disrespect to the other guys but Ben has always been the person who I thought, "Man, this guy is going places. What a rising star in this space." An incredible reviewer, a great industry analyst, a great podcast host and panelist. Not to mention the huge gap that Ben is leaving in terms of taste and interest. Fighting Games, Musou, Monster Hunter.

I will miss his presence dearly on Easy Allies content but I can absolutely appreciate needing to prioritise your personal life more.

However, as an EZA Viewer and Patron, I am worried about this departure, for all the reasons stated above. It feels more and more like the golden era of Easy Allies was 2017-2020, and that the best (or at least equally good) stuff isn't still to come.

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
You're making it sound like we told Ben he wasn't allowed to work remotely. This was his decision, and he told us what he was going to do. We've done nothing but offer our support.
I wasn't imagining you'd tell him no like that! Just that you'd come to the decision together that you wanted to keep it local. I did not mean to insinuate there was any animosity at all, it's just what I read from him saying he needed to move to Iowa.

Later edit: I've been thinking about your reply all day :( You probably didn't meant to harsh, but damn it's hard when people assume the worst from you.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
sad to see Ben leave but i'm very happy he escaped the hell hole that is Los Angeles lol.

this pretty much marks the end of the EZA for me that i fell in love with. The new iteration can still be great but with no Kyle, Brandon or Ben it will never have the same feeling. those three along with Huber were my main reason to watch them.

all the best ben.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Still a lot of great things to come with the allies, especially with the prospect of new talent being brought on. Nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your next steps, Ben <3

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Watching the most recent Frame Trap with "the boys" now… feels like the end of an era. This is a bummer, but I'm still hopeful for EZA's future.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Can't say I'm not worried. I and I expect many other people were probably expecting Ben to be one of the leading editorial voices at EZA moving forward. I like Frame Trap but I'm mostly devastated on how this could possibly effect reviews, which to me were/are the still #1 draw of GT/EZA after all this time. Ben was the best at it.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely going to miss Ben. I understand people being worried, but I think it's important to keep in mind that EZA probably needs our support now more than it needs us being negative about what the future might hold. We still have Bloodworth, Isla, Huber, Don, Damiani, and Brad. We have a new hire in Gabby. And I assume that there will be a new hire or two to make up for the difference.

My point is, there's still a lot of what we love at EZA even with three people who were there since launch gone. Some new blood in the company might just be what's needed to shift things up and get the Patreon back to where it was before COVID trashed everything. I wouldn't assume that EZA is down for the count yet. Believe!

Love and respect.

Last edited:

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Good luck to Ben and his wife on their new venture.

As for the state of everything else; at least when Jones left there was that 2-year buffer between him and Kyle leaving, which took some of the sting out, but this one coming so soon after just makes Ben and Jones' departures hurt even more. I totally understand the choice to make the move though. In any case, I wish the best to all the allies, both old and new, and continue to hope for the best for the group.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Honestly I imagine Ben leaving will give them more wiggle room on the financial side. That's a full salary less to be paying.

HoG stream was good, Damiani was in mighty form, good trolling.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to see Ben go. His Xenoblade playthrough was what really got me to start paying attention to EZA (despite having been a patron since it launched). I will definitely miss his work, but everyone still at EZA is great and puts out content I enjoy so I'm not too worried.

Vasseri

Mar 26, 2022
and that person has 9 posts in the site, which is totally not sus.

but anyways, I don't give a fuck, I welcome her and I hope things work out well for everyone.

All I did is disagree with people claiming it isn't nepotism and explain why it is. Now everyone seems to accept that it is, but asks instead "who cares?". That's a fair question, and I specifically said I didn't care either. I do appreciate you inferring that I'm transphobic (or maybe sexist? I'm not entirely sure) just because I said the hiring of Gabby was nepotism, which you all now seemingly also agree with. A lot of people here need to learn that you don't have to blindly defend everything the Allies do or say. I feel like it blows everything out of proportion, especially with people now accusing me of all sorts of shit over it. Which is ironic given I've been arguing in favour of equality and fair hiring practice, which I didn't think would be so controversial honestly.

Every. Fucking. Week.

The point isn't that it's bad to have good performers on your team that you can really trust. The point is how you go about finding people you trust that doesn't just involve hiring your buddies.

Edit: Just to keep it to the current topic, I am gutted that Ben is leaving as well. I do think he was usually the best at critiquing games and will definitely be missed. Hope they can transition Frame Trap into a weekly show, I've always wanted them to actually discuss what they're playing more frequently. I'm sure it crops up during streams etc but I only really have time to watch the bigger group streams.

Also gutted because it means there's definitely never going to be another Tabletop Escapades :( I mean, it's obvious it wouldn't have happened again even if Ben stayed but at least I still had a tiny sliver of hope - until now.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Dang… if Huber ever leaves EZA is damn near sunk

Not to wish doom on EZA as I love them all, but I think Brad and Huber going off together to start their own livestreaming/best friends play games type channel would be good for them. It would remove the stress and strain of reviewing/news coverage for them both, and would still offer what we all tune in to both of them for. Brad and Hubers pure excitement and hype for video games, new and old would get me to tune in for sure.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This sucks for a multitude of reasons:
  • It's the second time I lose my favorite Ally. Now I'm never gonna mention my new fave in case fate is listening.
  • Ben meshed well with everyone. No matter who you put him with or the game being played, it'd be a good watch.
  • He was the a top voice, not just among EZA, but in the whole buisness of talking 'bout video games.
  • Frame Trap was, similarly, best in the biz.
  • Of all the Allies, Ben is the one I had pegged as a guaranteed EZA lifer, industry ride or die.
  • Losing Ben also means Brandon's retirement tour gets cut one stream shorter.
  • No more leaning back in the chair, pause and foreboding "Hmmm" after a panelist - or he himself - has put a half-formed thought into the world and you know we're about to dive deep.
  • No daily hunts. No Nuzlocke. No competitive pokemon crossover with Giant Bomb. No self-narrated reviews. No all the other things Ben had awesome plans for.
  • Iowa doesn't get AEW.
  • The never more than faint glimmer of hope he would one day be coerced into playing Gothic 1 or 2 ... extinguished.
Only reason this doesn't suck:
  • It's the best for him and family.

And that alone outweighs all the rest.

So, congratulations and you will be missed, Ben Moore.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
User Banned (1 Week) - antagonizing and generalizing other users as a "hive-mind"; prior infraction for trolling over multiple posts.
All I did is disagree with people claiming it isn't nepotism and explain why it is. Now everyone seems to accept that it is, but asks instead "who cares?". That's a fair question, and I specifically said I didn't care either. I do appreciate you inferring that I'm transphobic (or maybe sexist? I'm not entirely sure) just because I said the hiring of Gabby was nepotism, which you all now seemingly also agree with. A lot of people here need to learn that you don't have to blindly defend everything the Allies do or say. You don't have to care that it's nepotism, you just have to accept that it is and not kick up a fuss and make it weird out of some misplaced sense of loyalty.

The point isn't that it's bad to have good performers on your team that you can really trust. The point is how you go about finding people you trust that doesn't just involve hiring your buddies.

Edit: Just to keep it to the current topic, I am gutted that Ben is leaving as well. I do think he was usually the best at critiquing games and will definitely be missed. Hope they can transition Frame Trap into a weekly show, I've always wanted them to actually discuss what they're playing more frequently. I'm sure it crops up during streams etc but I only really have time to watch the bigger group streams.

Also gutted because it means there's definitely never going to be another Tabletop Escapades :( I mean, it's obvious it wouldn't have happened again even if Ben stayed but at least I still had a tiny sliver of hope - until now.

This is ResetERA. Gotta agree with the hive-mind even on non-serious issues like this.

Its also hilarious to me that people are acting like there's "nothing to see here", people have every right to be worried about the state of EZA going forward, due to the departures.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
All I did is disagree with people claiming it isn't nepotism and explain why it is. Now everyone seems to accept that it is

I don't. Isla made it clear that Gabby did not have an easier time simply because they knew her.

I believe Isla when she says that.

I do appreciate you inferring that I'm transphobic (or maybe sexist? I'm not entirely sure) just because I said the hiring of Gabby was nepotism

I can't even imagine how you got here.

At no point did a single person even slightly imply that you were transphobic for saying Gabby's hire was nepotism. That doesn't even make sense.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This is ResetERA. A forum, not Twitter. Don't argue against a strawman or nebulous hive-mind. Adress posters personally and you might even reach agreement or come to an understanding.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

Okay, but that isn't what you originally said. You criticised my valuing trust and culture fit over performance. Those were your words. As I and others have continuously pointed out, knowing someone personally is a great indicator for getting that information, especially when it's a difficult thing to measure. Absolutely no one has justified hiring a friend just because they're a friend. In fact my original post indirectly condemned that.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
EZA won't be the same, just as after Kyle and Brandon left, but they are going to have my support till the end, no matter what. Only best wishes to Ben, he's been absolutely killing it since GT days and if he does quit gaming media, he'll be greatly missed for sure. I just hope we won't disappear from radars completely, would love to see guest appearances in EZA content from time to time, maybe some occasional streams, etc.

Yeah, thank you for everything, Ben-kun, it was hell of a ride!

Oct 25, 2017
All I did is disagree with people claiming it isn't nepotism and explain why it is. Now everyone seems to accept that it is, but asks instead "who cares?". That's a fair question, and I specifically said I didn't care either. I do appreciate you inferring that I'm transphobic (or maybe sexist? I'm not entirely sure) just because I said the hiring of Gabby was nepotism, which you all now seemingly also agree with. A lot of people here need to learn that you don't have to blindly defend everything the Allies do or say. I feel like it blows everything out of proportion, especially with people now accusing me of all sorts of shit over it. Which is ironic given I've been arguing in favour of equality and fair hiring practice, which I didn't think would be so controversial honestly.

Why am I getting quoted here? also no one cares.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetERA. Gotta agree with the hive-mind even on non-serious issues like this.

Its also hilarious to me that people are acting like there's "nothing to see here", people have every right to be worried about the state of EZA going forward, due to the departures.
Who is acting like there's nothing to see here? Obviously it's a big loss to EZA. I don't think anyone would argue that. Doom and gloom about the company is, at best, completely unproductive, though, and at worst super demoralizing for the six out of nine original allies still there.

Vasseri

Mar 26, 2022
Okay, but that isn't what you originally said. You criticised my valuing trust and culture fit over performance. Those were your words. As I and others have continuously pointed out, knowing someone personally is a great indicator for getting that information, especially when it's a difficult thing to measure. Absolutely no one has justified hiring a friend just because they're a friend. In fact my original post indirectly condemned that.

Yes, I don't see how you determine culture fit in a way that also takes equality into account. You've never explained how since then either.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, I don't see how you determine culture fit in a way that also takes equality into account. You've never explained how since then either.

Apologies, but I think that strays too close to the hiring process that we have at the company I work for, and so I'm not really at liberty to discuss it.

Vasseri

Mar 26, 2022
I can't even imagine how you got here.

At no point did a single person even slightly imply that you were transphobic for saying Gabby's hire was nepotism. That doesn't even make sense.

What does this mean then? (I also said "maybe sexist?" because I wasn't entirely sure what the accusation was).

I thought the pitch with Easy Allies was that they were a group of buddies that wanted to keep working in the video game space together after their previous venture had come to an end. That they all knew each other already was the whole point??

So why is it suddenly a problem NOW with Gabby, despite the fact that she has all the experience + qualifications necessary for the job?

I think we all know the problem most people have with her and it's really fucking sad. They just don't want to show their ass explicitly about it.

Unfortunately, I think we all know the answer.

and that person has 9 posts in the site, which is totally not sus.

but anyways, I don't give a fuck, I welcome her and I hope things work out well for everyone.

Apologies Mauricio_Magus, you didn't say it you just agreed with it.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty sure that BotW2 would be this year but also said I wouldn't be shocked if it slipped. My main argument was that Pokemon being announced had nothing to do with whether or not BotW2 was this year (and it didn't).

But the details we actually know about XVI and its development go beyond what we know about BotW2:

- It was far along in development as of months ago.
- It and Forspoken were supposed to be out in 2021.
- They said they didn't want to show it again until it was close to release.
- They then announced that the next big showing would be this spring.
yoshi-p-watch.gif

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hi, Ben, if you're reading this, may I recommend the thread in the main Gaming Forum over this Community one for the moment?

Right, exactly, kind of like how this post is clearly about me and you didnt address me personally.

Vasseri, too. You're both falling into the "Everyone who is against me is one giant blob" trap. The flow of conversation makes it clear who I'm adressing, even without a quote. It's not exactly sub-tweeting if I reply directly after you just like it's not talking behind your back if we're standing in a group and I pick up on something you said shortly before without adressing you by name first.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Ill continue supporting and enjoying Allies so long as they want to keep the lights on. When an ally does decide to leave the group, it doesn't make me like the Allies more or less. It makes me appreciate the time they (the ally leaving) put in to entertain the fans and also share insights on the industry, so thank you to Ben for being someone that was easy to watch and listen to talk about video games.

I started to watch Kyle solo stuff almost a year later after he left when I realized how interactive he is with chat and how fun it is to watch him rage and/or just laugh with chat. I enjoy Kyle's solo stuff much more now and if Ben (or any ally in the future) decides to start up a solo stream/podcast/video/whatever, I'll likely give it a listen/watch, too. The same goes for Jones if he ever decides he wants to chat about video games in a public setting again beyond social media.

I really didnt get into Easy Allies until I was looking up video game tournaments at video game publications/channels that I could potentially partner with for the games I worked on and found the Allies tournament streams entertaining to watch, which lead me to watch their Hall of Greats videos after. I fell deeper down the hole and started to watch all of their reaction videos over the years and still have hundreds of videos and thousands of hours of stuff to put on in the background, so I am thankful to them for having so much entertaining content to burn through and keep me excited about working in the video game industry.

L&R to all the allies -- looking forward to what's next for the group!

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Wow. Didn't see that coming. For some reason I thought Ben would be there till EZA closed its doors. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours. I'm also selfishly hoping he'll still be up for doing some streams or something on twitch in the future.

Two of the OG gundam stream guys gone :(

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed the Hall of Greats stream last night. I wish they all enjoyed doing it as much as we enjoy watching it, but I understand why they don't. Too many people take it way too seriously. That's gotta make the pressure feel too high.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed the Hall of Greats stream last night. I wish they all enjoyed doing it as much as we enjoy watching it, but I understand why they don't. Too many people take it way too seriously. That's gotta make the pressure feel too high.

It wasn't my favourite but an always enjoyable watch all the same.

As always, I just wish that they said which games got what points in the voting so that they could verbally articulate why they're giving some games points over others.

Keeping the votes secret, which they failed to do this time because the camera wasn't zoomed in enough, just doesn't add anything.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Looking forward to reminiscing and seeing fans sharing their favorite Ben moments on camera. Had this recommended to me on YouTube today and it's a 2019 tribute to Ben from one of the fans; all great moments that make me appreciate what Ben has brought to the Allies. Gonna miss him on camera with the Allies

Also some of my favorite moments are Ben just laughing out of nowhere back when "anime books" were still being discussed.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Its wild lol, its clear what they were trying to imply.

My comment was regarding Gabby and not Isla but I'll make it clear here:

Gabby's hire is being more scrutinized overall because she is a Black woman. There is a long history of woman and people of color being treated unfairly in this industry and there are numerous examples of it. Some subtle, some not so much.

Kinda Funny is a good example of this. When Blessing was first hired, it was common to see subtlety racist comments. When Janet was hired, there were complaints that she was too "opinionated."

Sometimes it's quite transparent. And you're simply not being honest if don't think that Gabby's identity isn't leading to more scrutiny than there would be if the hire was a white man.

When Isla announced her transition, YouTube comments were filled with hate. There were even bigots in their Patreon comments -- fans who give them money -- saying awful things.

Yesterday, I saw a comment from someone complaining about the lack of cleavage on April in the new TMNT and that Gabby seemed like "the type" to push for that.

Isla sat down and talked to fans of EZA about the hire. She said that Gabby did not get the job because she was a friend, nor was it easier for her because she was a friend. Isla said that, if anything, it may have been more difficult for her because they already knew her.

Neither Isla or EZA as a company have ever given a reason to not trust them. They have a track record of being honest and transparent.

Saying "nah, it's nepotism" -- even if you're "okay" with that -- in the face of Isla specifically explaining that's not is both implying that she isn't being honest about the hiring process and downplays Gabby's own skills.

And yes, I fully believe that her identity has led to more scrutiny -- on the whole -- of her hiring than there would be otherwise.