• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This week's podcast reaffirms my stance that three-person-panels work better over Zoom than four-person-panels.

The recent Friendcode where Damiani shifted between two one-on-one conversations to keep things moving sorta goes in the same direction.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Something that has occurred to me, that likely won't be an issue but I have been thinking about:

Mini-Game Champions has been prerecorded, but Isla hadn't told the other Allies her name at that point. This is likely the only content this will be an issue with, I wonder if it will air as it is or if it will be edited (whatever Isla is comfortable with, I assume)

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Something that has occurred to me, that likely won't be an issue but I have been thinking about:

Mini-Game Champions has been prerecorded, but Isla hadn't told the other Allies her name at that point. This is likely the only content this will be an issue with, I wonder if it will air as it is or if it will be edited (whatever Isla is comfortable with, I assume)
Yeah there are episodes where this comes up, and we're adding a simple footnote on screen. I ran it by Isla and she's cool with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there are episodes where this comes up, and we're adding a simple footnote on screen. I ran it by Isla and she's cool with it.
Was weirdly about to ask about this exact issue. Thanks for the update, Blood!

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love that among EZA (maybe just by Huber), Knuckles has been deemed the original bad boy multiple times now.
knuckles-the-echidna-sega.gif

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid sexy Ben talking about RE4 and getting me all hyped. Here I am buying it for the 90th time (luckily it's 70% off).

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A little late to this, but so happy for Isla! I was glad to hear that she got to tell her father, and the Huber thing was very funny. Looking forward to E3 with her and the rest of the Allies!

TwoDots

Oct 6, 2020
So happy for and proud of Isla! Also warms my heart to see the (expected) support from the other Allies and the community! She's beautiful and badass.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've seen negative reactions tbh but I think Blood keeps deleting the hate from YT comments, so kudos to Blood.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah. Unfortunately there are some fucking atrocious comments in the YouTube comments. Like, makes me feel sick bad.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
mF2YYcP.jpg

This reply to someone from Blood really warmed my heart.
Love to see this. It really warms my heart to see the other Allies so supportive.
Fuck anyone leaving transphobic comments, I hope they stop watching. I'm so happy for Isla that she is able to embrace who she really is. How anyone could be so devoid of empathy is beyond me.

Oct 25, 2017
Curious as to why they didn't just turn off comments for that video. I can see why getting support would be nice, but I think it would've been wise to rob the bad faith commenters the chance to say anything. It's what I would've done, considering how often the one negative can outweigh the 100 positives.

But props to Blood for doing the work.

Web 2.0 sucks. Down with comments. Ban Twitter. Kill Facebook. I hate it all.

(he said in a post on a web forum)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The one positive of youtube on mobile/ios is that I mostly see the comments that gets the most thumbs up, so I've not see any of the hurtful transphobic shit people may be posting.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Curious as to why they didn't just turn off comments for that video. I can see why getting support would be nice, but I think it would've been wise to rob the bad faith commenters the chance to say anything. It's what I would've done, considering how often the one negative can outweigh the 100 positives.

It's Isla's decision but, frankly: fuck the negative commenters entirely. Delete their comments, ignore them or whatever, but turning off comments and giving those losers any sense of satisfaction that they've had some sort of impact? Nah, fuck 'em. It's Isla's and the Allies' channel, not the vile, transphobic minorities'.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
On the last podcast Jones mentioned doing an E3 betting special, if they do one i hope it's more dream announcement bets, I feel those are usually the most fun/hype because they're more invested in the outcome.

It's Isla's decision but, frankly: fuck the negative commenters entirely. Delete their comments, ignore them or whatever, but turning off comments and giving those losers any sense of satisfaction that they've had some sort of impact? Nah, fuck 'em. It's Isla's and the Allies' channel, not the vile, transphobic minorities'.

Yeah, unfortunately there's always going to be a few dipshit bigots in the comments/chat in every video. Not much you can do but ban/report/ignore and try to move on without giving them too much oxygen.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair assessment. It was her decision and I won't begrudge her for it, as I'm sure she made it knowing full well what might happen. And again, proud of Blood for taking action and defending his friend. Allies indeed.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Hi there! I recently started listening to the Easy Allies podcasts and am thinking of supporting them on Patreon. But before I pull the trigger I have some questions. I looked on the Patreon site but it was a bit confusing and I couldn't find the answers. Hope you can help me!

Are all podcasts collected in a single feed or are there separate feeds for the different podcasts?
Do you get a link to the feed/s so that I can subscribe using something like Overcast for IOS?
Anything else I should know?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to Patreon. Thanks! And also Love & Respect to Isla!

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there! I recently started listening to the Easy Allies podcasts and am thinking of supporting them on Patreon. But before I pull the trigger I have some questions. I looked on the Patreon site but it was a bit confusing and I couldn't find the answers. Hope you can help me!

Are all podcasts collected in a single feed or are there separate feeds for the different podcasts?
Do you get a link to the feed/s so that I can subscribe using something like Overcast for IOS?
Anything else I should know?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to Patreon. Thanks! And also Love & Respect to Isla!
Their Patreon page has the podcasts individually available for download, but AFAIK there are no individual feeds for the premium podcasts, you get a personalized link that is a single feed of all their stuff to subscribe to.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
WCWzvvW.jpg

Legit. She looks so fucking thrilled just to have people calling her Isla, and embracing her. Joy is a hell of a drug.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

Its not just YouTube though, there's nasty shit being written in the patreon comments too. There's some real foul people out there.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Its not just YouTube though, there's nasty shit being written in the patreon comments too. There's some real foul people out there.

It's true. There are awful people everywhere. But it's important to note how small this group of people is in the overall EZA community. The comments on both Patreon and YouTube are overwhelmingly positive and it's so nice to see.

It would be better, of course, if we lived in a world without any bigots at all.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
I'd just expect a bit more decorum from actual Patreons.
Not to defend the people who leave disgusting comments (I find them repulsive as well and I agree that they have no place in any comments section), but I am not convinced all of those comments are necessarily meant to hurt her (some of them clearly are though). I can understand that some people don't know how to react to news like this since they are either not used to it or just don't know how it works.

I am somewhat in the same boat in that sense since I don't have any feeling with what she felt before at all, which makes it more difficult to know how to react sometimes since I don't know a lot about the topic at all. That being said, I have tried to somewhat read up on it from time to time over the last couple of years because of this community and because I never want to offend anyone.

I personally always try to be open minded (like I said before, I am very happy for her and I think everyone should be able to live their lives how they want and be themselves), but I can see how some people genuinely don't know how to approach this.

That being said, I have also seen some comments that don't leave any doubt that those people just comment to either hurt/offend and/or because they are assholes.

But if you think about it realistically, there is no way all Patrons all think alike one any topic at all.
It's sad to see them react like that on a Patreon post (I haven't seen it myself, but it might have been cleaned and I didn't go through everything), but I can't say I am necessarily surprised either.

That being said, I am actually positively surprised with how the general reception is (but again, they might have been cleaned a lot, I don't know).

The best thing you can hope for with such a large number of people is that Isla doesn't get too much shit thrown at her and that some people who don't know a lot about it and don't know how to react learn about the topic and learn how to deal with it in a respectable manner. I wish that one day in the not to distant future everyone reacts in a respectable manner even if they don't necessarily "agree" with decisions of other people but we are unfortunately not that far (yet?).

Last edited:
OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
i hope you don't mind constructive criticism: you should focus on writing shorter, less winding posts going forward. it's clear you mean well, but this ends up saying almost nothing by way of saying every possible thing over the course of 7 paragraphs.

back on-topic: absolutely no excuses for anyone commenting negatively on Patreon let alone YouTube. we all already know Isla - the only thing (not to minimize) that has changed is how she identifies. any hand-waving of this kind of hatred in the EZA community is only perpetuating it. love & respect are the fundamental building blocks of EZA and the bare minimum ask of anyone participating in the community.

lastly, it's fucking 2021 - there's no excuse to not understand or respect those who don't identify the way they do.

Last edited:

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
i hope you don't mind constructive criticism: you should focus on writing shorter, less winding posts going forward. it's clear you mean well, but this ends up saying almost nothing by way of saying every possible thing over the course of 7 paragraphs.

back on-topic: absolutely no excuses for anyone commenting negatively on Patreon let alone YouTube. we all already know Isla - the only thing (not to minimize) that has changed is how she identifies. any hand-waving of this kind of hatred in the EZA community is only perpetuating it. love & respect are the fundamental building blocks of EZA and the bare minimum ask of anyone participating in the community.

lastly, it's fucking 2021 - there's no excuse to not understand or respect those who don't identify the way you or i or anyone does.
No offense taken, I know I have a tendency to write long comments that I keep changing and adding to because this is unfortunately how my brain seems to work. The fact that English is not my native tongue probably doesnt't help. But I will try my best to keep them shorter though since I know a lot of people don't want to read through something like that.

As far as the topic goes:
I agree, there is no real excuse to not respect the way someone identifies or feels. But that doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with people around them going through this know how to react to it either. And to be clear, I don't want to hand-wave the hatred away. Some of the posts I have seen are disgusting and made me feel really bad, but I can see how some of them come from a place of not understanding, but wanting to learn.

But again, I am not defending people who purposefully write hurtful comments about it. I don't understand why you would do such a thing in general and especially to someone of a group they apparently are a fan of. I can 100% understand that people don't understand or agree with things other people do, I personally don't see a problem with that. What I can't understand is throwing shit at those people for how they feel and a decision that clearly made them happy.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
I can 100% understand that people don't understand or agree with things other people do, I personally don't see a problem with that. What I can't understand is throwing shit at those people for how they feel and a decision that clearly made them happy.
yep, people are more than welcome to not like something... up until the moment that they decide to vocalize their opinion about the way someone else lives.

and for the not understanding part - they're more than welcome to ask if they're respectful and truly want to learn.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
yep, people are more than welcome to not like something... up until the moment that they decide to vocalize their opinion about the way someone else lives.

and for the not understanding part - they're more than welcome to ask if they're respectful and truly want to learn.
I can't disagree with that. That's exactly how I feel as well.

I am actually looking forward to the Q&A myself because while I do understand that people can feel different than the body they were born in, I am sure I am missing a whole lot of nuances and I hope I can learn some of those nuances from watching it.

Oct 25, 2017

There's a lot to be said about how we tend to project our own disappointments/fears/anxieties/etc. on others, especially those we perceive to be weaker than us. Like Ted says in that clip, their judgements say so much more about them as people than about Isla or anyone else they target. Curiosity builds bridges while judgement builds walls.

For work a few years ago, I helped write and develop a whole corporate training course digging into unconscious bias and like 90% of that course was about better communication, and how we have to learn to ignore our snap judgements and be curious. Ask questions where appropriate. It may not result in full acceptance or anything like that, but it helps people feel seen and heard.

We all have negative biases that we aren't totally aware of, even folks who count themselves as allies. Biases are how we are able to function as humans, because they aid in our fight or flight instincts. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and change, and recognize which biases help us escape danger, and which ones are just hurtful. And it definitely doesn't mean we should air those biases out on the Internet. I'm glad Isla is having a Q&A. I was very scared at first when she posted it, but I think it's the right thing for her to do and I hope there are a few Patreon supporters/viewers who can at least find it within themselves to try and see her as she wants to be seen.

madmisterf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm about two thirds of the way through the Last of Us Spoiler Mode and I'm glad I followed the advice in this thread and gave it a listen. Unless the quality of the discussion falls off a cliff in the last third, it was one of the better podcasts I've listened to about this game. It was really refreshing to hear people talk about it without resorting to sarcasm or snarky comments, which seems to be an impossible task for many members of the gaming media when it comes to this game.

Huber did very well to keep the conversation flowing and make sure that specific points of the game were addressed by the panel, and I couldn't disagree more with the Patreons hating on Isla. Some comments made it sound like she spent the 2 hours shitting on the game, where on the contrary she was as fair as the others, balanced her criticisms with some praise and recognized that some parts were less impactful for her because she wasn't a fan of the first game.

Hazz3r recommended the MinnMax spoiler cast as well in this thread, so I'm looking forward to listening to that one when I'm done with the Spoiler Mode.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about two thirds of the way through the Last of Us Spoiler Mode and I'm glad I followed the advice in this thread and gave it a listen. Unless the quality of the discussion falls off a cliff in the last third, it was one of the better podcasts I've listened to about this game. It was really refreshing to hear people talk about it without resorting to sarcasm or snarky comments, which seems to be an impossible task for many members of the gaming media when it comes to this game.

Huber did very well to keep the conversation flowing and make sure that specific points of the game were addressed by the panel, and I couldn't disagree more with the Patreons hating on Isla. Some comments made it sound like she spent the 2 hours shitting on the game, where on the contrary she was as fair as the others, balanced her criticisms with some praise and recognized that some parts were less impactful for her because she wasn't a fan of the first game.

Hazz3r recommended the MinnMax spoiler cast as well in this thread, so I'm looking forward to listening to that one when I'm done with the Spoiler Mode.
Ben has been the huge standout for me on a lot of the spoiler modes I've watched. This one and the Godzilla one stand out the most in my mind but there is definitely others. He just landed on the opposite side of the rest of the crew's perspective and more in line with my own. But more importantly, he does such a great job of presenting the other side and allowing for a deeper conversation about why or why not he feels a certain way. It's even funnier when you have Huber in the middle agreeing with everyone, just hyping up everyone's differing points each time they are presented. Ben is great and I really appreciate hearing his takes.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.