• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the podcast and I'm kind of relieved: Jones is doing just fine! Considering it's his first one, I expect things will just get better as he gets more experience and learns the flow.
It's a smooth transition to a new era. I'm very glad. Probably him watching Kyle do the Podcast all these years helped along with that Q&A episode between them.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I finished the first Jones podcast and it was better than I expected! Always room for improvement but it's a great start and I'M looking forward to seeing where it goes.

My only advice would be to make the opening bit snappier. Maybe instead of asking the allies who would win you pick two allies and have them each present a one minute argument for why the charecter they were assigned would win. The three people who are not participating can vote on who they think will win based on the arguments presented. Do two rounds of this so that all 4 panelists (minus jones) are allowed to participate.

If you wanted go extend it out more you could then pit the winners of those two rounds into a deathmatch to see who gets to move on to the grand finals.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the podcast. I liked Jones' style, it was more pointed. It really let the rest of the crew shine. It felt focused. It was funny without forcing it. Looking forward to what's next!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I really liked it. I like that Jones seemed really informed on the subjects he was talking about.

Also, "this week on" or whatever it was called, is a really smart idea. First time I've ever heard of this darkborn game, and now I'm pissed its on hold, lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Also, "this week on" or whatever it was called, is a really smart idea. First time I've ever heard of this darkborn game, and now I'm pissed its on hold, lol.

This is the absolute worst feel, finding out about something cool and then discovering it's been delayed, on hiatus, canceled, not in your language, etc

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I think Jones did fantastic. It's a new podcast... and it should be. You can't replace Kyle and the sooner you realize that the better. The Allies know that off the bat and it's great to hear. I'll always L&R Kyle but this is the way it needs to go.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Jones was great!

It's like people forgot EZA has been doing excellent Content for years... lol.

Only drawback was Kyle's pointed commentary... Or Wars was super safe..

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Honestly, the new podcast feels like a slight shift back to the pre-Kyle podcast days, and I am completely okay with that. I found the old Easy Allies podcast entertaining, but often an interesting topic would be brought up and everyone would start discussing it only to be completely derailed by a Kyle joke and they'd never end up back on the interesting thing they were starting to discuss. Kyle is hilarious, but I appreciate the more business-y focus this version will take, while still keeping the humor.

It's not like its going to go back to the earlier Invisible Walls days with Shane and Marcus dominating the entire conversation or 20-minute conversations about COD and Madden.

So yea, super excited to see where the new format goes! My wife, on the other hand, just wants a weekly Easy Allies Animal Crossing podcast, but she said she's fine with a weekly mention!

Zarmander

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the guests really brought the energy to boost Jones during the podcast which was awesome. Really liked the podcast overall! Or Wars needs more giggling mid- song!

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Podcast was great, I agree the only bit that didn't work was the opening game stopping to ask every single person.

Definitely leaned more on the Kyle version of the podcast than I was expecting but I get it, everyone's getting acclimated and figuring it out, may as well use the stuff that works. Save the dramatic Jones takeover for the studio

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the podcast. The ONLY problem I had was the bit where Jones lists some of the other news of the week. It sometimes seemed like some people may have wanted to discuss it a little bit, but Jones just flew right through the headlines.

I thought maybe Jones had discussed the headlines with the other allies and those were the ones that they had collectively decided weren't worth discussing, but a couple of them seemed to throw one or two of them off-guard, so I don't know.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Tbh wasn't the biggest fan of the podcast, mostly the headline choices and burning through a few with a sentence.

My worry about the focus on trailers and Jones being the main talker was definitely founded here. Although is their defense I probably just need to get used to it.

Looking forward to Bloodworth being more of a co-mod in the future.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Podcast felt good with multiple headlines, instead of being stuck with one or two things for the whole podcast until L&R.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
That podcast felt good.

It's exactly what I expected. It's rough around the edges. The opening bit isn't that interesting and probably needs tweaking a bit. The suggestion about having people argue for and against with the rest of the panel coming to a decision is good, but also could become drawn out.

But overall it was really entertaining. Really really good vibes by the end. You can see and hear Jones get a lot less nervous over the first 20 minutes or so. I do wonder if it's because he built up Podcast to be this really big expectation of him, but then it became absolutely clear that it's not the Brandon Jones show. He's surrounded by extremely talented people, and he doesn't have to carry that podcast by himself, not even close.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This thread hates Xenoblade worse than Simon's Quest comfiemed.

So yea, super excited to see where the new format goes! My wife, on the other hand, just wants a weekly Easy Allies Animal Crossing podcast, but she said she's fine with a weekly mention!

Why weekly? Make it daily! If I can't get 5 minutes of Isla describing the colorful socks the Flick on Jones' island sold or Blood being prompted by Redd to reveal his secret past as internationally wanted art forger WHAT AM I PAYING TO PATREON FOR?

Last edited:

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another spoiler mode?!

I guess Max took up too much time with his theories last time lol.

Dec 8, 2019
really good spoiler mode, they're pretty negative for about the first 30 minutes but it balances out after that and is just a joy to listen to, also very funny how clearly badly damiani wants to go down the level 4 hole but can't lol

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The description of the 2nd spoiler mode says that they stick just to the events of the game itself. How true is that? I don't want to hear about the OG spoilers considering I haven't played that game.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not sure if I want to listen to that Spoiler Mode. Comments say it's pretty negative and cynical and that's pretty much what I expected it to be with Ian on. He was extremely nitpicky on Frame Trap and I'm not in the mood for that stuff.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Not sure if I want to listen to that Spoiler Mode. Comments say it's pretty negative and cynical and that's pretty much what I expected it to be with Ian on. He was extremely nitpicky on Frame Trap and I'm not in the mood for that stuff.
And yet you have people here saying that's the first 30 minutes. I can bet most of those comments hardly watched the entire thing.

Not to mention Ian was not nitpicky on frametrap and fully expressed how much he liked the game.

The hateboner for Ian from all fronts is baffling. Ian's been dealing with this for like 6 years at this point. He wasn't the only person expressing his reservations of the game and people are fully allowed to not like something you, and the majority of people, like.

Oct 25, 2017
The whole gang is critical of the game, but there's still a lot of love in the new Spoiler Mode, at least from the hour or so I've listened. It's not "negative." It's not a bash session. You'll more than likely agree with a lot of what they're saying. I adored the game but I think they're on point with their criticisms.

Zarmander

Oct 29, 2017
This spoiler mode is fantastic and everything I wanted. Ian and Jason bring up valid criticisms and Huber is glowing about it. Not overly negative at all.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Lol:

First spoiler mode: they spend way too much time talking about the story, this sucks

Second spoiler mode: they spend too much time nitpicking the gameplay, this sucks.

Eza fanbase in a nutshell.

Yes I know this is all fanbases, just think it's funny.

Also I cant see a world where FF7 remake isnt my goty this year. Its an incredible achivment. It also has bad areal combat and the fact that cut scenes can and frequently do interupt limit breaks unacceptable in a game that has such flawless combat otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Was watching Vinesauce Vinny's stream last night and he plugged the spoilermode with Max! Thought it was pretty neat

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
I like when guests are on, especially if they can get a dev on and we get some behind the scenes stuff on thought processes etc when they were developing the game. Like the God of War spoiler mode. I find that stuff really interesting.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the 1st FF7R spoiler mode. I actually enjoyed it and didn't mind that Max dominated the conversation. It made the spoiler mode a lot more interesting than I expected it to be

Jords

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
I don't normally poo poo the allies.
Jones should done a reaction to the Valhalla trailer. Missed opportunity

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And yet you have people here saying that's the first 30 minutes. I can bet most of those comments hardly watched the entire thing.

Not to mention Ian was not nitpicky on frametrap and fully expressed how much he liked the game.

The hateboner for Ian from all fronts is baffling. Ian's been dealing with this for like 6 years at this point. He wasn't the only person expressing his reservations of the game and people are fully allowed to not like something you, and the majority of people, like.
I do believe there's a bit of irrational hatred for Ian. To be fair, I think a lot of the love of Easy Allies comes from unabashed positive love of games from Huber and others, but anytime Ian comes in with a more nuanced view, people lose their minds.

I think all of us go pretty much out of our way to say how much we liked the game overall; refusing to bring up what we liked and didn't like in a three hour session is insane. We talk about how much we love the ending and what it does, we talk about what works and who our favorite characters are, we talk about all kinds of positive stuff.

But I suppose it is slightly more negative for the first thirty minutes? I dunno. I had a blast talking about it with them.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I do believe there's a bit of irrational hatred for Ian. To be fair, I think a lot of the love of Easy Allies comes from unabashed positive love of games from Huber and others, but anytime Ian comes in with a more nuanced view, people lose their minds.

I think all of us go pretty much out of our way to say how much we liked the game overall; refusing to bring up what we liked and didn't like in a three hour session is insane. We talk about how much we love the ending and what it does, we talk about what works and who our favorite characters are, we talk about all kinds of positive stuff.

But I suppose it is slightly more negative for the first thirty minutes? I dunno. I had a blast talking about it with them.
I've only just started it but you've been great so far! Glad you were involved.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

People don't want to hear nuanced criticism they only want to know if their favorite games are great or perfect. The only exception are the games everyone is expected to hate those you can criticize.

:P

I don't understand this "literally any criticism = negative" notion. Chrono Trigger is IMO the best game ever made and Illusion of Gaia is my favorite game of all time, and I could rant for an hour criticizing both games.