• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like this gets said alot lately but that was easily the best episode of mysterious monsters.
I had some idiotic tech difficulties during the shoot (Huber mentions it at one point) but shout to Ian for a perfect flowing edit job. He's so good at it!

But that group had some great chemistry because they're in a band together. Plus Freddie is hilarious.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
Regardless, I voted.

appreciate the input for sure! that's exactly why i made the poll. please don't take the following long chunk of text as negative, i'm just adding context and bad at being concise:
no matter what, updates are planned due to the unanticipated response last E3 vs the original scale, along with the goal of hopefully not having to do completely custom code from scratch for every potential betting special (as few or many as there may be) - the latter part is wishful thinking, but i can try.

weekly podcast betting is something that people have asked for since the site launch and it makes sense. it adds year-round purpose to the site that i've spent too much of my own time and money on and it's kinda just something that would be fun so why not. an account feature makes a lot of sense for people who want to track their history/streak/etc. and if some people don't want to partake - that's totally fine! they don't have to.

right now, come E3 2020 (or if E3 dies, whatever major event gets a betting special next), let's say Person A makes a submission with the username "loveandrespect". but Person B used that name last time, so when they go to also use that same name, they won't be able to. Person B could (rightfully) be frustrated/confused/upset that their username is taken, and i can't do a lot about that, and it's frankly not a user-friendly scenario and will get especially confusing after a few more major betting events. and Person A may get confused because they didn't remember making a submission for E3 2019 but there's one under their name for it. this might not happen for "FunkyJeff6969" but it will definitely happen for regular old "Jeff".
accounts ideally won't be *required*. i'd love to allow "anonymous"/no sign-up submissions for major events alongside registered accounts - but anyone who wants an account can sign up and claim a proper, permanent username. it may end up that "anonymous" accounts get some sort of signifier or start with a special character or so on.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just opened Mysterious Monsters and was shook to see Freddie Wong. Didn't expect that crossover and didn't realize he was in a band lol

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Monsters is just the best thing.

Been falling off the gaming content for a bit but content like MM and Fiasco keeps me checking in.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, fun fact for anyone living in Los Angeles: me, Freddie Wong, and Colt Hallam (Riot developer Ezreal) collaborated to build an Escape Room (that also stars Ashly Burch voiceover).

Go do it here! https://www.theexitgame.com/artificial-intelligence-la-escape

Currently living in Riverside, but down to make the drive to check this out from all my favorite creators. So wild to me since I've received all your content separately that you all know each other.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Jones TemTem report in FrameTrap makes me reconsider playing it, I fell off Pokemon Sword pretty hard so I am not sure if TemTem is something I should consider and it being early excess also has me cautious too. Maybe I will play it once it is fully released and I can play it on the go through GeForce now ;)

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
appreciate the input for sure! that's exactly why i made the poll. please don't take the following long chunk of text as negative, i'm just adding context and bad at being concise:
no matter what, updates are planned due to the unanticipated response last E3 vs the original scale, along with the goal of hopefully not having to do completely custom code from scratch for every potential betting special (as few or many as there may be) - the latter part is wishful thinking, but i can try.

weekly podcast betting is something that people have asked for since the site launch and it makes sense. it adds year-round purpose to the site that i've spent too much of my own time and money on and it's kinda just something that would be fun so why not. an account feature makes a lot of sense for people who want to track their history/streak/etc. and if some people don't want to partake - that's totally fine! they don't have to.

right now, come E3 2020 (or if E3 dies, whatever major event gets a betting special next), let's say Person A makes a submission with the username "loveandrespect". but Person B used that name last time, so when they go to also use that same name, they won't be able to. Person B could (rightfully) be frustrated/confused/upset that their username is taken, and i can't do a lot about that, and it's frankly not a user-friendly scenario and will get especially confusing after a few more major betting events. and Person A may get confused because they didn't remember making a submission for E3 2019 but there's one under their name for it. this might not happen for "FunkyJeff6969" but it will definitely happen for regular old "Jeff".
accounts ideally won't be *required*. i'd love to allow "anonymous"/no sign-up submissions for major events alongside registered accounts - but anyone who wants an account can sign up and claim a proper, permanent username. it may end up that "anonymous" accounts get some sort of signifier or start with a special character or so on.

I think your reasons for wanting to add authentication are completely solid and you've really thought it through. However, if you want it to remain accessible, allowing anonymous signup for Betting Specials is a must. Otherwise you're just putting a great big roadblock in your onboarding process, for something that is primarily driven by external forums and social media.

I make software for enterprise for a living, I.e it has to be flexible and open to change. If you want any advice regarding architecture or your tech stack just drop me a message. I might not have used something in your stack before but I will certainly offer help where I can 😄

Oct 28, 2017
Freddie's right, that Taskmaster question was vague as fuck. The question should have been "comedians" instead of "competitors".

Nice to see a great show getting a shout out though.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
worst episode of Monsters so far (still fun though), didn't know anybody and they didn't win me over.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had some idiotic tech difficulties during the shoot (Huber mentions it at one point) but shout to Ian for a perfect flowing edit job. He's so good at it!

But that group had some great chemistry because they're in a band together. Plus Freddie is hilarious.
They're actually in a band? I thought that was a joke. :P

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Great MM, did freddie tweet it out to get more eyeballs on it? Shame such a great show isn't getting more views :(

ByteSizeRick

Oct 27, 2017

"Own Money". I feel bad about that. Maybe we should talk about a sponsorship. Only requirement is that every participant has to watch "The Case Against Kyle Bosman and Michael Huber" before participating. ;)

(Seriously though, just great work you are doing.)

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
"Own Money". I feel bad about that. Maybe we should talk about a sponsorship. Only requirement is that every participant has to watch "The Case Against Kyle Bosman and Michael Huber" before participating. ;)

(Seriously though, just great work you are doing.)
hah! thanks, Hoeg. anyone who hasn't watched is missing out on the fully rounded E3 2019 Betting Special experience.

though not insignificant i am definitely not sad about any of the time or money that i have spent on it (and i did get a bit of help there to start it off). i hope it didn't sound needy, though i have seen people assume it is part of EZA and/or on their payroll which an honor but can be a little discouraging on the flipside. it certainly doesn't have any consistent outside source of funding but i don't think it deserves one until i can round it out a bit more. but if you're serious - you know where to find me :)

Oct 27, 2017
The live commentary is awesome. Love this stuff.

Like usual their promotion for it is lacking though. Their main audience is youtube, and they dont do a teaser for it. I just dont understand their reasoning sometimes

Last edited:

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
They did a YouTube teaser for Better Stuff Before E3 in 2018 and it was a huge success! Why not just repeat that?

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
great tournament! i'll have to go back and catch the start later.

they're crackin' packs now which, while fun, unfortunately really highlights the audio compression issue that still plagues their streams.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know why they have nine people in a group and not one of them can spend a few minutes drafting a few posts for social media. Especially for something like this where they're raising money for a charity.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this was happening, will get back and watch it today.

In regards to the Taskmaster Q on MM, it isn't too much of a big deal that the answer was vague as MM works with it's "judges?!" system, meaning an answer can be valid and recognised by Jason and Ian.

Was Taskmaster mentioned by an Ally during a Q&A? Someone mentioned it was in the YouTube comments, and I know it was brought up in Community Showcase but I thought that was all.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I saw 3 or 4 tweets from the EZA account about the Tournament so I wouldn't say that there was no information going around.
Wasn't able to watch it though, but will take a look later.

Ddalgi

Aug 7, 2019
I'm usually also someone who complains a lot about their social media presence, but this was definitely communicated before it many ways. Through last week's streams, through Twitter and also the Community tab on Youtube. Sorry, but missing this is on you.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I'm usually also someone who complains a lot about their social media presence, but this was definitely communicated before it many ways. Through last week's streams, through Twitter and also the Community tab on Youtube. Sorry, but missing this is on you.

I think twitter is fine for most of their output but a charity stream could have had a teaser on the main channel where they reach a much wider audience

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I had literally no idea what was going on, but it was a great stream. Good setup, fantastic commentary and Damiani also did very well on the switcher. Good job!

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Loved Mysterious Monsters this week. Freddie is a get. I hope he promoted the show on his Socials. Josh was extremely funny.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
People have mentioned it already, but if we look back to the "Better Stuff Before E3" stream, there was a promo video released to YT, there was at least one side-panel ad for it on a group stream leading up to it, and constant verbal communications on other avenues leading up to the stream. I think an under-considered aspect of the success of that stream was the sheer promotion of it.

Yesterday was successful in its own ways, and I am happy they were able to help out such a worthy cause. But I also hope there are takeaways to help get more eyes on streams like this in the future.

Urbannomad123

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rugby, England
I'm surprise at least Jones haven't announce to stream a reaction to it, He's the Animal Crossing guy ^_^
To be fair that time is far too early to expect a live reaction to a game only Jones is really super-hyped about. A general direct however...hopefully that will get a live reaction when it eventually happens.

twitter.com

Easy Allies on Twitter

“We won't be up early for the Animal Crossing Direct tomorrow, but we will be doing some reactions later in the day at 4 PM PT. See https://t.co/2zyAVqMCjr for your local times.”

Oct 27, 2017

- Warned 2 days before... 2 days .. lol
- visual doesn't scream 'fundraiser' at all
- no patreon post
- weekly schedule visual just says 'Magic Tournament', no mention of a fundraiser, event in the copy above it
- their followers are on Youtube. A video teaser on Youtube is the logic step. Lots of people don't even have a twitter account in my country, and Facebook is less and less used.

This is my last post regarding this cause i know i complain all the time..

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
- Warned 2 days before... 2 days .. lol
- visual doesn't scream 'fundraiser' at all
- no patreon post
- weekly schedule visual just says 'Magic Tournament', no mention of a fundraiser, event in the copy above it
- their followers are on Youtube. A video teaser on Youtube is the logic step. Lots of people don't even have a twitter account in my country, and Facebook is less and less used.

This is my last post regarding this cause i know i complain all the time..

Email JOnes for COJ, he can answer this.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of playing a game of bouncers at the start of the podcast a more productive thing would be to have some business housekeeping talking about up coming shows, streams and general news.
Instead of this we get one show or stream being highlighted as a prize for winning the bet at the very end of the podcast when it probably has it's lowest audience or you have to be a Patreon watching cup of Jones.

OP
OP
fireworksordie
May 30, 2018
Instead of playing a game of bouncers at the start of the podcast a more productive thing would be to have some business housekeeping talking about up coming shows, streams and general news.
Instead of this we get one show or stream being highlighted as a prize for winning the bet at the very end of the podcast when it probably has it's lowest audience or you have to be a Patreon watching cup of Jones.
whynotboth.gif