• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just me, but I really dislike the new podcast timing. I listen to it at work, and ever since the switch to Friday for Patrons, I end up listening to the podcast on Monday at the earliest. By then, I usually forget too. I think I'm a couple episodes behind as a result.

The previous timing was great for me because the podcast served as an end cap to the work week.

Yep, this personally has been a big bummer for me as well. The EZA podcast was always something I looked forward to during the work week. The move to Thursday would be fine if they'd get the podcast released by early Friday morning for Patreon. But now I'm having to choose between "fresh" news or weekend plans/football and whatnot and more often than not it means I'm waiting until Monday. Not really sure if/why the podcast takes a long time to edit, but I really hope they takes steps to reduce the time it takes to get it uploaded to Patreon.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Not to invalidate anyone's point because I don't think there's a wrong answer but just as another pov, I slightly prefer the podcast being released on Friday, given how vg industry news seem to come out during the week, and listening to it on Friday night or Saturday around noon works well in my schedule

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Not to invalidate anyone's point because I don't think there's a wrong answer but just as another pov, I slightly prefer the podcast being released on Friday, given how vg industry news seem to come out during the week, and listening to it on Friday night or Saturday around noon works well in my schedule

I like it on friday because I get off work, put on my pjs and turn on the podcast, just like I used to do way back when I wasnt a patreon. It's kinda nostaligic.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say after finishing astral chain I agree with ben. Game was just too bloated with bullshit for it's own good. I would have liked the game a lot more if it has been a tight 15 hours instead of a loose 20. I ended up straight up ignoring all of the side content in the last few chapters because I just wanted to beat the game.

I liked the side content. If they make a sequel I'd kinda want them to delve more into the future cop stuff, flesh out the rest of the crew, make more in depth side stuff that acts like proper investigations. Bascially i want Astral Chain: Stand Alone Complex edition lol.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure if/why the podcast takes a long time to edit, but I really hope they takes steps to reduce the time it takes to get it uploaded to Patreon.
I don't think it's really taking all that long. The podcast finishes recording Thursday night. Jones cuts overnight then sets it to start uploading while he goes to bed. And Kyle sets it up and posts when he starts working in the morning. There's maybe a little downtime while people are still asleep, but for much of that, the video has to upload and process anyways.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally got around to watching the Don's Design Lab episode. I don't normally care for Super Mario Maker-related content but I actually really dug how the video was put together. Great editing, showing each person's contribution to Ian's initial design. I also like that the level was balanced and not too easy or difficult; something that anyone could pick up and try without TOO much frustration.

Looking forward to the next one!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the side content. If they make a sequel I'd kinda want them to delve more into the future cop stuff, flesh out the rest of the crew, make more in depth side stuff that acts like proper investigations. Bascially i want Astral Chain: Stand Alone Complex edition lol.

I think my dislike of it has more to do with the actual game design then the content itself. The content was fine, the problem is how it is dolled out. If the game had a proper open world and I could tackle side content whenever I wanted Ala spiderman ps4 I think I sould have enjoyed it a lot more.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yep, this personally has been a big bummer for me as well. The EZA podcast was always something I looked forward to during the work week. The move to Thursday would be fine if they'd get the podcast released by early Friday morning for Patreon. But now I'm having to choose between "fresh" news or weekend plans/football and whatnot and more often than not it means I'm waiting until Monday. Not really sure if/why the podcast takes a long time to edit, but I really hope they takes steps to reduce the time it takes to get it uploaded to Patreon.

They record the podcast after the Pokemon Silver streams, which end at 7 PM PT. The podcast is usually up by 11 or 12 PT the next day. That seems like a pretty good turnaround time to me, considering they have to shoot the podcast (and potentially any other shoots happening that night), go home, edit the podcast, upload, and sleep.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
It just depends on where you live. It's up around 8 - 9 pm on Friday my time, so that means it's up around noon their time on Friday.
I don't see how they can make this quicker except if Kyle would't sleep either until it's done (which isn't something we can expect them to do, crunch and all that).

I complained about the Thursday time from when it was announced and I do still believe Tuesday/Wednesday is a better day (for me) as far as release day goes, but I can't deny that the shift to Thursday did help them covering newer items compared to recording on Tuesday. They would have to shove a lot of the things they covered to the week after if they stayed on Tuesday.

I personally don't mind that at all as it's the same imo (I probably discussed this enough on here), but I do understand why a lot of people were asking to move the podcast and I understand why they changed it (even if I still don't completely agree). I do have to admit that I was probably wrong and that as far as new newsitems goes, Thursdays are probably better. I still like Wednesdays better to watch it myself, but what can you do. It's fine imo.

Last edited:

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I think my dislike of it has more to do with the actual game design then the content itself. The content was fine, the problem is how it is dolled out. If the game had a proper open world and I could tackle side content whenever I wanted Ala spiderman ps4 I think I sould have enjoyed it a lot more.

Aye the pacing was bad, i had the most fun in the early parts of the game. Later on i just tuned out of the "story" and had what fun i could with the battles.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really taking all that long. The podcast finishes recording Thursday night. Jones cuts overnight then sets it to start uploading while he goes to bed. And Kyle sets it up and posts when he starts working in the morning. There's maybe a little downtime while people are still asleep, but for much of that, the video has to upload and process anyways.
They record the podcast after the Pokemon Silver streams, which end at 7 PM PT. The podcast is usually up by 11 or 12 PT the next day. That seems like a pretty good turnaround time to me, considering they have to shoot the podcast (and potentially any other shoots happening that night), go home, edit the podcast, upload, and sleep.
It just depends on where you live. It's up around 8 - 9 pm on Friday my time, so that means it's up around noon their time on Friday.
I don't see how they can make this quicker except if Kyle would't sleep either until it's done (which isn't something we can expect them to do, crunch and all that).

I complained about the Thursday time from when it was announced and I do still believe Tuesday/Wednesday is a better day (for me) as far as release day goes, but I can't deny that the shift to Thursday did help them covering newer items compared to recording on Tuesday. They would have to shove a lot of the things they covered to the week after if they stayed on Tuesday.

I personally don't mind that at all as it's the same imo (I probably discussed this enough on here), but I do understand why a lot of people were asking to move the podcast and I understand why they changed it (even if I still don't completely agree). I do have to admit that I was probably wrong and that as far as new newsitems goes, Thursdays are probably better. I still like Wednesdays better to watch it myself, but what can you do. It's fine imo.

Hah, it seems I'm in the minority here. I guess I'm used to Giant Bomb's and Kinda Funny's pods going up the same day they are recorded (and EZA's past release schedule didn't really effect me as it was still during the work week). For instance, Kinda Funny's daily pod that starts recording at 1pm my time just went live on youtube around 4:15pm. I'd also sort of question why two people need to edit the podcast and if things like sound effects/other minor edits can't be done on the fly by Ian live.

It seems to be working out for most and that is great. Just personally, the EZA pod has always been a happy part of my work week and it's been quite the bummer of a change. If somehow they could work it for Friday morning release on Patreon, I'd be 100% happy, but I understand sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Bloodworth

Oct 28, 2017
Hah, it seems I'm in the minority here. I guess I'm used to Giant Bomb's and Kinda Funny's pods going up the same day they are recorded (and EZA's past release schedule didn't really effect me as it was still during the work week). For instance, Kinda Funny's daily pod that starts recording at 1pm my time just went live on youtube around 4:15pm. I'd also sort of question why two people need to edit the podcast and if things like sound effects/other minor edits can't be done on the fly by Ian live.

It seems to be working out for most and that is great. Just personally, the EZA pod has always been a happy part of my work week and it's been quite the bummer of a change. If somehow they could work it for Friday morning release on Patreon, I'd be 100% happy, but I understand sometimes it just doesn't work out.
But in Europe it is the same day. ;)

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Weekly hunts in the studio is such good vibes, it's a pleasure watching huber with his giant hammer lol.
Just turn the salad mic on for damiani next time he's there.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
If somehow they could work it for Friday morning release on Patreon, I'd be 100% happy, but I understand sometimes it just doesn't work out.
I understand where you are coming from as it's the same reasoning I had that it would be worse for some patrons when the Thursday podcast was announced. It all depends on how and when you watch/listen to the podcast and where you live. If you like to listen or watch it during work and you don't live in the America's, you either have to wait until monday and change when you consume the podcast. The same is true for people who were used to watch or listen to it during the weekends. If they aren't a patron, they will now get it sunday evening to monday morning instead, so they will have to wait until the next weekend (or change the way they consume the podcast).

The thing is that it release around Friday morning for them. It releases around friday noon pacific time, which means 7pm UK, 8pm mainland Europe, but 5 am saturday morning in Sydney for example. I don't know where you are from, but it's for sure impossible for all patrons to release in the "morning" their time.

That's just how timezones and how the world works. There is no solution for this except if they have a way to roll it out with a staggered release (so depending on timezone) and even then people won't understand why people in Sidney can already watch the podcast while people in Berlin can't.

There just isn't a way to make this work for everybody since EZA's content is watched from all over the world and there are a lot of ways people watch or listen to their content. It's unfortunate, they are going to win and lose some $5 tier patrons because of this change, but I just don't see how it's possible for any outlet to fix this. You just have to be lucky that the time they choose works out for your timezone.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the US but under EST, so unfortunately a 2pm EST podcast is just a little bit too late on a Friday for me to catch it.

Ah well, I'm not a fan of most of the podcast changes in general.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
Anyone getting the SNES Controller? They went up on US Nintendo site. I got 2, can't wait. Here is the Link if you want it.
I'll probably get one when it releases on the EU store, but that doesn't seem the case yet.
It still says, currently unavailable. That's at least better as before as it showed "sold out" until two days ago or so even though I don't think it was for sale before, but I only checked the day after the announcement, so who knows.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

I don't know about Giant Bomb's podcast, but I'm pretty sure KF Games Daily is just a youtube direct upload from their Twitch stream, that's not really the same thing. Whenever we've seen EZA do the podcast live, there's always issues with the sound effects and such. Starting too early, cutting off to early, way to loud, etc. I don't think Kyle or Jones want to trade the production value for getting it up a few hours earlier. I mean, we're talking about Friday Morning vs Early Afternoon, it's not like it's going up Friday at midnight or something currently. Based on what you said for Games Daily, I assume you're EDT, the podcast is probably going up at 1 or 2 PM for you on Friday (it went up at 1:46 PM EDT last week). Obviously I don't know how your work days are structured but that's still most likely hours before most people (in the Americas) leave work.

Anyone getting the SNES Controller? They went up on US Nintendo site. I got 2, can't wait. Here is the Link if you want it.

I actually ordered that 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controller Kyle mentioned on last week's podcast, he should get some commission or something. I think that'll be good enough, plus it'll be useful for other games still if I need another pro controller (or a controller with a good D-Pad).

Oct 25, 2017
I actually ordered that 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ controller Kyle mentioned on last week's podcast, he should get some commission or something. I think that'll be good enough, plus it'll be useful for other games still if I need another pro controller (or a controller with a good D-Pad).
Yeah, I'm thinking of grabbing that instead because it looks far more useful for only $20 more. I love the SNES controller and maybe I'll grab one at some point, but for functionality, I need real ZL/ZR triggers rather than buttons.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best episode. The players cared about the trivia, knew a lot of answers, and used the different abilities in logical ways.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
That was the best episode of monsters yet. All 3 were very knowledgeable and I love how for once we saw people use the uneasy alliance the way it should be used. People should be thinking about when they should help someone or not and whether it can help them or hurt them to do so.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Monsters is easily my favorite EZA content at the moment.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't (and I didn't care about the story in the couple of Pokemon games I have played, so I didn't even think about that) but I do think Nintendo shows too much of their games before release. There is no reason for them to show this many of the new Pokemon (imo) except for the starters.

Link's Awakening is even worse, but that one I can forgive since it's a remake (and I don't care how much I have seen about that one since it's pure nostalgia for me).

The worst offender is probably Dragon Quest XI S since they showed footage of the first 40/50 hours of the game or so. I am not going to play that again and I can imagine that people who haven't played the game again wouldn't notice, but I couldn't believe what they showed in that trailer.

I just don't think this will help sell games, but I guess if most people think otherwise it does. I am just not a trailer fan and usually don't watch them to begin with.
The only ones I catch are the ones that are streamed by EZA and very occasionally one on youtube.

It depends on the game for me, i think with something like The Last of Us 2 you really basically just ruin every scene you show off.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing episode! They just keep getting better the more shows they get under their belt. What an absolute home run this series turned out to be, all born from "What if Huber hosted a game show?"

May 30, 2018
anyone else noticing framerate stuttering issues with the close-up cameras in the latest Mysterious Monsters? i feel bad bugging the Allies with tech stuff all the time. not sure how best to report these issues.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Need to watch the new Mysterious Monsters but it's nice to hear that they didn't abuse the uneasy alliance this time. I always thought that aspect should be nerfed somehow.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
That was definitely the best episode of Mysterious Monsters yet (I feel like I say this every episode but it's true).
It seems like Justin kinda got screwed at the end? The final question at the end only gave him credit for 15 box smashes or whatever, but you see him hit it at least 20 times, and probably a few more when the camera wasn't on them. I mean, he still would have lost even if he was mid or high 20s, but it being imprecise could be an issue for closer ones.

Feep Did he mention anything, or did y'all notice that? Seemed like he started to mention it at the end then realized it probably didn't matter.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All episodes of Mysterious Monsters have been great, but this episode has to be one of my favorites. Close all the way through, fantastic contestants, and a Top 10 Anime Betrayal.

That was definitely the best episode of Mysterious Monsters yet (I feel like I say this every episode but it's true).
It seems like Justin kinda got screwed at the end? The final question at the end only gave him credit for 15 box smashes or whatever, but you see him hit it at least 20 times, and probably a few more when the camera wasn't on them. I mean, he still would have lost even if he was mid or high 20s, but it being imprecise could be an issue for closer ones.

Feep Did he mention anything, or did y'all notice that? Seemed like he started to mention it at the end then realized it probably didn't matter.
I posted this in the YT comments:
This was immediately noticed by me and Ian. Upon further review of the footage, Justin was hitting the box way off center and with insufficient force, which led to only about half of his hits being counted. We confirmed with him after the show what he attempted to input, and had he done so successfully, it would not have changed the outcome.

We do instruct our players to really whack those things; we added a lot of padding so that they would be protected for a long period of time. But Justin had a lot of fun, and jolly vibes all around. ^^

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
All episodes of Mysterious Monsters have been great, but this episode has to be one of my favorites. Close all the way through, fantastic contestants, and a Top 10 Anime Betrayal.

I posted this in the YT comments:
This was immediately noticed by me and Ian. Upon further review of the footage, Justin was hitting the box way off center and with insufficient force, which led to only about half of his hits being counted. We confirmed with him after the show what he attempted to input, and had he done so successfully, it would not have changed the outcome.

We do instruct our players to really whack those things; we added a lot of padding so that they would be protected for a long period of time. But Justin had a lot of fun, and jolly vibes all around. ^^

I'm not sure if the boxes already have this but would it be possible to put a bullseye on the cushion to remind people where they should be hitting?

Toshirou

May 9, 2018
The latest Mysterious Monsters was so much fun, for sure my favorite episode.
Really shows the potential the format has when all contestants go all in.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
The Groundhog Day review is a delightful surprise, well written and edited, but gets a -0.5 for only one repeat of "again" at the end and not repeating a paragraph or even putting the whole review on loop.

9.5 - Shoulda been a Easy Update

chief uhu

Oct 29, 2017
I just want to add to the praise for Mysterious Monsters. I have been watching the Allies since the early GT days and that show is in the top 3 things they have produced, alongside Timeline and Pop Fiction. It also gets better every episode. So much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.